Author Topic: [PSX] Dialogue/Events editor - Hack7 (v3 BETA 3)  (Read 70143 times)

TheJolly

Hi lasyan3
 thanks for your answer! I managed to fix the error. I copied FIELD the folder to the desktop as you said and now it works fine :) thanks again!

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
Lasyan3, I want to talk about the WINDOW.BIN editor that your software has incorporated.

I tried to do some experiments, and I noticed that the new WINDOW.BIN file is bigger than the original file. The difference is not huge, but it is bigger.

As you know the file is basically made of 3 gzip files joined in a single file. I tried to do some forensic analysis to understant why the resulting file was bigger than the original one:

File # 1 (tim file, several graphics): The new gziped file is smaller than the original file ¿?
File # 2 (tim file, character map): The new gzipped file is bigger than the original file ¿?
File # 3 (width table for the character map): no problem

¿Any idea of why is this happening? I'm using v3 beta. With version 2.1.2 the resulting WINDOW.BIN file is smaller than the original one and it can be inserted in the ISO with no problems.

« Last Edit: 2014-03-24 15:54:07 by Green_goblin »

lasyan3

• View Profile
Hi Green_goblin,
Well, since the compression function is not the same that the one square used, it's normal to have some minor differences in file sizes.
BUT I admit I found a bug with Hack7, that makes the file of the font twice less ! I'm working on it, I'll tell you when I made the correction asap.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
Hi Green_goblin,
Well, since the compression function is not the same that the one square used, it's normal to have some minor differences in file sizes.
BUT I admit I found a bug with Hack7, that makes the file of the font twice less ! I'm working on it, I'll tell you when I made the correction asap.

That's good lasyan3, I'm glad you are still working on this project.
The Spanish team found some bugs (the characters got stucked in those maps, they couldn't move at all).
Problematic filed maps:

chrin_2
ealin_1
mds7_pb1
mds7_w2
junpb_2
yougan2
4SB (all of them)

By the way, these bugs happen when usin v3 beta, not using version 2.1.2

Also, could it be possible to add some functionality in order to translate the Tutorials? Only MakouReactor can do it, so it would be great if you can do something about it  :)
« Last Edit: 2014-04-11 20:31:08 by Green_goblin »

lasyan3

• View Profile
That's good lasyan3, I'm glad you are still working on this project.

Well, to be honest I don't really plan to work seriously on the project anymore (the steal of my laptop didn't help, even if I had not too old backups), I will make an effort at least to repair some bugs but I can't promise I will work again on new features. But hopefully you can still use the amazing Makou Reactor ;)

But since I'm still in contact with a french guy who is still working on the translation, and since he asked me some features (like editing tutorials, menus and world messages), eventually I'll do my best to add those at least.

Anyway, I just uploaded a new revision of Hack7 for your window.bin matter (I didn't put a news on the site neither changed the version since it's a very small debug). Can you test it and tell me if it's ok for you now?

And about the field maps, could you send me one corrupted file so I can analyze the content? Thanks.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
Well, to be honest I don't really plan to work seriously on the project anymore (the steal of my laptop didn't help, even if I had not too old backups), I will make an effort at least to repair some bugs but I can't promise I will work again on new features. But hopefully you can still use the amazing Makou Reactor ;)

But since I'm still in contact with a french guy who is still working on the translation, and since he asked me some features (like editing tutorials, menus and world messages), eventually I'll do my best to add those at least.

Anyway, I just uploaded a new revision of Hack7 for your window.bin matter (I didn't put a news on the site neither changed the version since it's a very small debug). Can you test it and tell me if it's ok for you now?

And about the field maps, could you send me one corrupted file so I can analyze the content? Thanks.

Ok, your new version produces a good window.bin, the original size is 13.266 bytes and with your software I've got 13.189 bytes, not bad  :)

Here you have the source code of MakouReactor 1.5.1 http://sourceforge.net/projects/makoureactor/files/Version%201.5.1/Makou_Reactor-1.5.1-source.tar.gz/download

Maybe it gives you some inspiration on how to edit the Tutorials.

Now let's talk about the other bugs. For instance let's take "chrin_2" (17.484 bytes), inside the Midgar church with Aerith minigame.

Open the file with Hack 2.1.2, make some modifications and save the file. (19.194 bytes)

Then do the same thing with a new "chrin_2" file, but this time using Hack7 v3 beta. (19.066 bytes)

Please find attached all 3 files in case you want to analyze them: https://www.mediafire.com/?ui2q7sl4i34515n

I've taken "chrin_2" because it has no tutorials, maybe the tutorial files are more complicated and need a more accurate forensic analysis.

If you really add those functionalities (Tutorials, word.bin, menu files, etc)  I'll send you some € via Paypal.

Green_goblin

• View Profile
Re: [FF7] Dialogue/Events editor - Hack7 (v3 BETA 3)
« Reply #81 on: 2014-07-26 15:11:12 »
Hello again Lasyan3

If you remember, in our last conversation I told you about some king of bug related to the {CHOICE} option, it looks like there is a problem in the way your software handles it. Have you looked at it?

Files with this problem:

ealin_1
chrin_2
i_townw
yougan_2
4sbwy (all of tem)

Regards!
« Last Edit: 2014-07-26 15:30:57 by Green_goblin »

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2014-10-23 21:03:32 »
Hey Lasyan3,

Sorry to bring this topic up but can't reply via PM (my PMing ability has been disabled as a new user here I guess)!

The error I get when using Mass ISO Update is "Not supported file [SLPS_010.57]" and some failure messages at UpdateFAT_Init.

As you can see on here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/data
This is the Japanese FF7 International version (SLPS-01057~60). This version should be the same as the FF7 International re-releases SLPS-91440~3, SLPM-87380~3

As you already support Original Japanese FF7 (SLPS-00700~2) I imagine the change shouldn't be too difficult? :)

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2014-10-24 01:09:26 »
Hack7 is a useful tool and supports physical consoles but never use the ISO save function but insert the files manually using cdprog.

Hack7 doesnt check for sector sizes but just extends and thus brakes the ISO if a file got larger than the original. ISOs will end up larger than before and with messed up LBAs, use cdprog to insert the files. If a file should really get too large to fit into the sector you get an error message and must delete or shorten some dialogue.

Anyway I think that the latest Makou Reactor release pretty much obsoletes this ;)

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2014-10-24 02:08:46 »
Hack7 is a useful tool and supports physical consoles but never use the ISO save function but insert the files manually using cdprog.

Hack7 doesnt check for sector sizes but just extends and thus brakes the ISO if a file got larger than the original. ISOs will end up larger than before and with messed up LBAs, use cdprog to insert the files. If a file should really get too large to fit into the sector you get an error message and must delete or shorten some dialogue.

Anyway I think that the latest Makou Reactor release pretty much obsoletes this ;)
Useful information , thanks! I like Mass Iso Tool for quick testing. What is this "cdprog"? My field dat files are often different sizes (bigger and smaller), how do I put them into an ISO so it doesn't mess up without Mass Iso Tool? I tried using "CDmage" but it wants to "truncate" all the time. And what would be too large? Can you fix the sectors to contain bigger amount of data? PSX ISOs are confusing :P

lasyan3

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2014-10-24 06:05:43 »

What are you saying? Of course Hack7 (and also Mass Iso Update) check for sector sizes! It also scans the iso for empty spaces and reallocate files based on their sector size. It was designed to allow saving of files bigger than original size. The only thing it doesn't do is recalculate ECC, but CDMage can dot it easily. Why are you saying that it doesn't work?

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2014-10-24 06:43:07 »
Well I was very surprised the ISOs ended up larger than before without actually using files that were too big to be inserted into the ISO by cdprog normally. First of all this makes creating patches harder when modding as you have to extend your image with zeroes or something first and the patch will more and more cover full sectors of your file.

Secondly I was having some trouble when testing on real PSX when using the ISO save function and I was sure it is due to the new filesize. I must admit that this was guessing and it may be me making a mistake or an interference with the mods I made that play around with LBAs.

Anyway I was having perfect results with Hack7 editing the field files first, then recompress them with fice's tools(hack7 leaves the files bigger than necessary) and insert them with cdprog. This always left me with an ISO that works everywhere and can easily be used to make a patch file.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-24 06:45:20 by meesbaker »

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2014-10-24 12:33:58 »
Well I was very surprised the ISOs ended up larger than before without actually using files that were too big to be inserted into the ISO by cdprog normally. First of all this makes creating patches harder when modding as you have to extend your image with zeroes or something first and the patch will more and more cover full sectors of your file.

Secondly I was having some trouble when testing on real PSX when using the ISO save function and I was sure it is due to the new filesize. I must admit that this was guessing and it may be me making a mistake or an interference with the mods I made that play around with LBAs.

Anyway I was having perfect results with Hack7 editing the field files first, then recompress them with fice's tools(hack7 leaves the files bigger than necessary) and insert them with cdprog. This always left me with an ISO that works everywhere and can easily be used to make a patch file.

Have you tried his program Mass Field Update?

http://lasyan3.free.fr/index.php?page=ff7-outils&lang=en

You can find it in his website and I tested and the fields works in psx real.

Regards.

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2014-10-24 13:53:39 »
Have you tried his program Mass Field Update?

You can find it in his website and I tested and the fields works in psx real.

Regards.
I found Mass Field Update (well Mass Iso Update) works great, especially for testing new builds quickly. All I have to do is click Execute and it adds only the files I want.. Haven't tested on a real PSX though. If it supports FF7i even better :)

How to fix ECC in CDMage though?

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2014-11-03 12:06:07 »
Just a heads up, the Mass Field Update tool has been updated and now supports all (most?) versions of FF7. Handy if you have a custom kernel, scene, field models/dat etc. files which you just want to put into an ISO quickly without fuss (Makou doesn't let you import model description settings in the dat for some reason). I also found the ISO it produces is now less prone to errors. Three cheers for Lasyan  ;D

Green_goblin

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2014-11-03 12:27:36 »
It looks that there is a new tool (Masterchef) whic can edit the .mnu files.