Basically Mandatory > FFNx Custom FF7/FF8 Driver

[FF7PC-98/Steam] FFNx - Next generation modding platform for FF7/FF8

<< < (23/27) > >>

sithlord48:
I'm pretty sure that the steam info is only used when generating metadata for cloud syncing. I've never used steam to launch but have you tried customizing the controls from the in game menu?

SunDragonXiii:
I have the same issue with the controls on FF8... All the face buttons on the controller right hand side were mapped to the next button clockwise even though it was set to default in the settings (I'm using a Dualshock 3 controller).

To fix it I had to go in settings and map every button to the next button anti-clockwise... just to get it to be the normal button. I still have L2 and R2 mapped to start and select buttons which I haven't figured out how to fix but at least it's playable now.

Also I still haven't figured out how to get texture mods to work with this installed, I had them working before with Tonberry fine but Tonberry doesn't seem to work with this installed and I haven't figured out how to make them work without it.

TrueOdin:

--- Quote from: SunDragonXiii on 2021-11-15 01:14:29 ---Also I still haven't figured out how to get texture mods to work with this installed, I had them working before with Tonberry fine but Tonberry doesn't seem to work with this installed and I haven't figured out how to make them work without it.

--- End quote ---

Tonberry and FFNx are not compatible, because the former is used to hook the native game DirectX APIs and hash literally the texture binary data in memory and try to create a map for each one of them.
FFNx instead rebuilds from scratch the rendering engine and uses an undocumented feature for both FF7/FF8 that allows to use a custom driver to render the game ( this is how Aali started his project ). Because of that we have to implement our own custom way to handle this scenario. Unfortunately in FF8 hashing every texture doesn't lead to a different file ( sometimes it seems different textures hash the very same way ), therefore there's no possibility ( yet ) to replace textures in FF8.

Nevertheless, I did try to approach dotEmu in a friendly way to ask how did they manage to do it for FF8R ( as internally they use the Aali driver anyway... ) but they never bothered to reply. Perhaps if we ask en-masse we might have a reply one day, or ideally a PR on FFNx code implementing that functionality.

If anyone from dotEmu reads this, be aware any help on the topic is welcome and appreciated.

SunDragonXiii:
Thanks for explaining, that's a real shame. Despite it's problems FFNx seems to be the best way to play with the original music in FF8 for now and it really needs that music fix! Extra things like the analogue controls are nice as well.

Kind of annoying though, as much as I appreciate the hard work modders put in, they're not good at explaining things to us regular people who just want to play our favourite games in the best way possible. Like how this is in the "Basically Mandatory" category... Why is it basically mandatory if most mods aren't compatible with it? As a non-modder i'm just left scratching my head trying to figure out why texture mods aren't working and messing about with the config file because there's no documentation saying they don't work... only to find out weeks later through a forum that they don't work in the first place  :-(

TrueOdin:

--- Quote ---Why is it basically mandatory if most mods aren't compatible with it? As a non-modder i'm just left scratching my head trying to figure out why texture mods aren't working and messing about with the config file because there's no documentation saying they don't work... only to find out weeks later through a forum that they don't work in the first place  :-(
--- End quote ---

You're right on that side. The forum organization maybe is not clear enough, but at the current state for FF7 is the only active mod platform supported on Qhimm ( which doesn't mean is the only one existing that mods FF7 :) ), and which also exposes a set of features which make it really unique compared to other mod solutions.

About FF8 though in fact there are different mods available, each one of them doing different things ( but not all of them combined ). FF8_Demastered for eg. is the known mod solution for FF8R, Tonberry is the only solution known to replace textures on FF8 2000/2013 releases, and FFNx is a complete mod platform which reimplements the graphic pipeline ( so it's not depending on the core game engine, unlike Tonberry ) and introduces new unique features never seen before.

Now, as an author and crew member of FFNx as you can see, the project is not only developed by me but there are contributors bringing new patch codes introducing new features ( see https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/graphs/contributors ) and because of this it's difficult to document really everything, considering the fact people might forget it but we're all doing this in our own spare time. No one of us is paid, receiveing donations nor asking for them. All we do is bring our passion for the game to the code, trying to find new ways to enable then modders to bring their magic in. Sometimes we manage to do so, sometimes we fail :) But that's the beauty of it.

Speaking therefore about texture replacement, I'll never get tired repeating this: I wish we could have it on FFNx, but unfortunately the code to allow this is much more difficult than FF7 in terms of Reverse Engineering, nor Square-Enix and dotEmu are helping on this case sharing knowledge with us on how they did. If this will one day happen, rest assured we will be happy to explore that path and add support, but for now it's really difficult to understand the game code and rewire everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version