Author Topic: Temporary forums  (Read 71821 times)

stormmedia

• View Profile
Re: Temporary forums
« Reply #25 on: 2006-05-11 04:41:45 »
Hey!! I'm glad the forums are back too !! Thanks Qhimm for your good work !!

And I agree with what Synergy Blades said about changing the name and redirecting it :-D.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-12 02:37:53 by stormmedia »

Sad Jari

« Reply #26 on: 2006-05-12 20:44:00 »
Am I seeing things, or does SMF flag edited messages as new?

Because I have this feeling that I've seen flagged threads with no new messages. I might be seeing things, of course. :|

If it does, that's great. Better than great. No need to double, triple or quadruple post to get updates noticed. :-D

FeuFeu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006-05-12 22:09:57 »
Indeed, it looks like edited messages are flagged as new.

This is yet another reason that makes me feel phpBB is overrated : switching to SMF was definitely a good choice ^_^

Sad Jari

« Reply #28 on: 2006-05-13 05:55:55 »
Dear mr Admin,

While you are hard at work with the new design, how about allowing user selectable themes and uploading few alternatives?

Since the default isn't so hot looking.

Maybe even... *gasp* taking submissions from users? (Because SMF has some annoying things in the CSS, making it impossible to fix things without breaking others with style sheets only)

Pretty please with sugar on top?

The doggie wants them, too:

:-)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #29 on: 2006-05-13 06:00:48 »
Shrek's Puss would also work :D

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #30 on: 2006-05-13 14:14:13 »
Weeelllll, if the doggie says so... I guess I'll upload a few alternatives when I get back to my regular computer. Of course, they'll all look like crap when the new design is revealed. Whenever that is. :P

EDIT: Unruined post. :P
« Last Edit: 2006-05-13 14:46:14 by Qhimm »

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006-05-13 14:37:26 »
You just had to add that last part. Now it is all ruined!  :-P

Sad Jari

« Reply #32 on: 2006-05-14 00:14:25 »
Weeelllll, if the doggie says so... I guess I'll upload a few alternatives when I get back to my regular computer.
Wii!

I noticed a curious thing; if you post pictures, the forum server performs two requests - first it asks for HEAD and then regular GET. Yes, it seems to download the entire picture for whatever purpose. I think that it even might do that every time you edit the message with the pictures, although I haven't confirmed. The resize is done with HTML, so it shouldn't need the picture for that...

Any idea...

a) Why it does that?
b) Does the bandwidth that way count towards the limit, too?
c) Could it be a possible vulnerability? Say, someone posting that 14MB aerial photo of the WTC-site. Put that few times into a single post with different file names and if the poor thing tries to download each of them... Rinse and repeat if that wasn't enough.

:-(

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006-05-14 04:08:12 »
I think that a picture hosted offsite would not use the site's bandwidth. It would, however, slow down loading on the user's end.

Sad Jari

« Reply #34 on: 2006-05-14 04:35:35 »
Actually, I think that I know why it does that. It has to find out the size (pixel dimensions) of the picture somehow, so it knows if it should resize it down to 480px max. And to do that, it actually downloads the picture.

At least that's my guess. :-)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #35 on: 2006-05-14 10:13:33 »
Yep, it does that to check if the image is so large it needs to be forcibly resized by HTML (obviously it would be bad to set width=640 height=480 for all images :P ). While there are some ways to detect image size on the client side and modify the HTML dynamically as needed, it's neither reliable, cross-browser, nor does it look very good (the image is first very large until it's "scripted down"), while a server-side solution looks more consistent.

Anyway, using large images could be a problem, then again I do have bandwidth to spare. Though I suppose the script could be modified to look at the HEAD request and transform the image into a link if it's too large?

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006-05-22 04:22:57 »
Off topic? Here is a good hosting pakage! The best Ive found!    http://www.dreamhost.com

Sad Jari

« Reply #37 on: 2006-05-27 15:48:31 »
'Previous names'-feature would be nice to have (again).

It would make it lot easier to keep track on who said and did what.

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006-06-01 15:13:55 »
Wow, I just came back after getting an email notification of a PM.  The new design scares me, but I do like this compact preview thing below!  Looks like the forum's grown a fair bit too.

Anyway, hope you're all well.
Cheerio!

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006-06-02 21:34:53 »
I miss the old phpBB design, and I hope soon that this forum will get a makover from the SMF style soon, (it gives me the creeps)

Now how did you convert it from phpBB?

Sad Jari

« Reply #40 on: 2006-06-02 22:58:21 »
eerrrr: Long time, no see. :-)

You know, if you are using Firefox you can try my stylesheet. I think that the last version might bring back some memories (check the screenshots...). :wink:

VincentVal

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006-06-02 23:41:19 »
ahh dear me, It looks MUCH better thank you!

( oo it fixes the quotes too! )
Thank you!

jamesyfx

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006-06-11 14:04:16 »
I get hosting from servage. 600GB bandwidth / 75000MB webspace... £5.25 a month

Good uptime as well.

Jonnylossus

• View Profile
Re: Vietnam Travel
« Reply #43 on: 2008-12-20 08:15:37 »
Vietnam tour companies offer vietnam guided tours, vietnam art tours, vietnam war veterans, luxury honeymoon holidays, family vacation package, cruise vacation, guided adventure travel, golfing and all travel deals.
 :-o
Vietnam W.Veteran Tours
Vietnam Kayaking Tours
Vietnam Honeymoon Trips
Vietnam Diving Tours
Vietnam Cookery Tours
Vietnam Trekking Tours
Vietnam Photo Tours

Vietnam Tour Operator, Travel Agent , Vietnam 's Leading Hotels and Resorts Online Reservations, www.vietnampathfinder.com offers discounted flights, hotels and resorts, car rental, visa Arrangement, first class holidays, tailor-made tour packages, eco-adventure travel to the mystical, exciting and Newly Discovered destinations in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.
 :roll:
Vietnam Travel
Vietnam Art tours
Hanoi Art tours
Vietnam Family vacations
Vietnam Family holidays
Vietnam tours for family

I wonder why the moderators don't remove that post. I reported the post to several moderators / admins..  :x