Author Topic: Need help using my PS3 Controller for FFVIII  (Read 3462 times)

SilverSpades

• View Profile
Need help using my PS3 Controller for FFVIII
« on: 2014-01-27 18:16:05 »
I'm using the year 2000, PC version of FFVIII, with Aali's Driver + SeeD + RaW mods.

Only thing else I'd like to do is get my PS3 controller working... which it's not.

I'm using BetterDS3. Mapped my buttons, and then proceeded to open FF8Config, and re-mapped the joystick controls again there.

I'm not sure if there was anything else to do after that, but I booted up the game and no joystick response; the game pretends I never mapped anything and the regular keyboard buttons I set work.

I didn't really see any other topics with this specific issue, and I'm not too sure I can find a direct solution, so here I am at these forums asking again.

Thanks in advance.

(P.S. I swear, my avatar is not showing, what's up with that!?)

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help using my PS3 Controller for FFVIII
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-27 19:05:49 »
I believe RaW causes problems with controller support IIRC. Can I get Dan to confirm?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-27 19:10:48 »
First of all... I really don't recommend BetterDS3. It may not use the MotionInJoy tool, but it does still use MIJ's driver, which has been known to cause problems, such as BSODs. Personally I recommend this wrapper instead. This probably isn't related to your problem, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

That said, did you run FF8Config as admin? If I recall correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the input file is stored in FF8's folder. If you're using Windows Vista or later and you've installed the game to Program Files, this could cause ff8config not to save your edits properly.

Worst case scenario, you can use a tool that converts gamepad input to keyboard presses, and just set it up so each button acts as a keyboard key. JoyToKey does this for free, and Pinnacle Game Profiler does a nicer job with a fancier UI and snazzy shareable profiles for $20 USD $10 USD (it's on sale right now).

(P.S. Your avatar is hosted on a site that doesn't allow hotlinking. Rehost it on imgur or something if you want it to show up.)

WhiteShadow11

• You are free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-27 19:15:24 »
Hum... I usually use a ps2 controller for FF7 and works well in motioninjoy or without it, USB plugged but I remember trying it with ps3 also worked, don't know about bluetooth.

I had some problems at first but once I could detect it on Windows Game Controler everything worked. I also did the remapping inside the FF7 Game.

For FF8, the system might be the same, see if the controller is responding on Windows Game Controler, otherwise try using XInput Wrapper for DS3 it's a different driver but works the same.