Author Topic: What's in the works  (Read 23301 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
What's in the works
« on: 2010-06-07 20:47:27 »
I'm going to try and restore each forum to be used only for its original intention!   In most of the forums you shouldn't notice much difference, however, the really big change is going to be in Game Tweaking and Programming Feedback.

Programming Feedback is supposed to be for
Suggestions, bug reports, requests, etc. for released programs.
But we've been using Game Tweaking for this when it is only for
Patches, mods and other tweaks for your FF game.
  SO, what's going to happen is I'm going to run through all programs that have had recent activity, and split all the questions and bug reports into a new thread in Programming Feedback.   Any updates the author has posted will also be kept in tact, so only their posts will be in their program's thread.

This may create what is commonly known as a clusterf***, but if you give it a week or two, I think this will make programs and their updates much easier to find.   In turn this should also make it much easier to reference any bugs for the newbies who haven't searched.   Suggestions will also be put in Programming Feedback.  COOL EDIT The program troubleshooting thread will also keep updated whenever the program is updated.  Meaning, once a new version of a program is released, a new thread will be created for its discussion/bugs.  Basically, Programming Feedback is for program discussion.   Game Tweaking is for updates/releases only.  On top of this, try not to crowd threads.  If someone posts a solution to someone else's problem, don't reply saying "Yes, member is correct!  Do what he said".  Your post is pointless and only makes future searching even more difficult.

Splitting Game Tweaking into two sub forums "Programs" and "Mods" also seems like a very good idea once this is implemented.  Since all programs will rarely, if ever, be bumped back to the first page, this means all the avatar and switching characters mods will completely drown them out; forcing them to page 3,4, and etc.  This is currently outside of the scope of what I can do, but I'll work on it.

Posts by new members ::less than 5 posts:: that are in the wrong place will be moved or merged without notice.   Question posts by members that have been here long enough to know they need to search, and know where threads should go, will be removed without notice as well.  If you want to avoid this, PROVE THAT YOU HAVE SEARCHED.  Link to threads you looked at and show us what you have found using google.  This type of post is helpful and will get you a correct answer much quicker than "ZOMG HALP PLX!"

COOL EDITJust a slight clarification, if you have a mod you are trying to do... let's say switching Cloud's head with Sephiroth's, and you don't know what program or anything to use, your question goes in GENERAL.   If you're question involves you and others exploring the inner workings of the game, your question goes in Tech Related.   If your question is related to a program or mod you are having trouble using... Programming Feedback.  And finally, if your question involves getting your game working... Tech Support/EDIT

Now then, sit back and try to enjoy the change.  Embrace it.  Love it.  And don't complain about it   >:(

Unless it's really bad, then please do complain.  :)
« Last Edit: 2010-06-08 03:01:12 by obesebear »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: What's in the works
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-08 11:11:45 »
You've probably already addressed this, but don't forget to inform Halkun when you move application threads. Only he has access (AFAIK) to the wiki pages, including those linking to project / program threads.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-08 13:29:23 »
i have wiki access , if you have info that needs to go there , just send me a pm and i will put it up .

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-08 17:00:14 »
You've probably already addressed this, but don't forget to inform Halkun when you move application threads. Only he has access (AFAIK) to the wiki pages, including those linking to project / program threads.
Actually, I've discovered that each thread has it's own individual address.  So no matter where it gets moved, any links to it will always work.   The Custom Driver is a good example; it was in Tech Related, but is now in Game Tweaking.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-14 18:47:07 »
So far so good.  I like we finally have a captain steering this ship and you were one of those I said should be a mod. :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-03 05:52:57 »
Well I've gotten a little burnt out moderating and making exceptions to rules being broken.  And what with school just right around the corner I really won't have much any time on here.
Since the membership approval has been lifted I think the best option is to go back to a zero tolerance standpoint on the rules.  I'll go back through them in the next couple of days and see what may need to be changed.  It's just a bit of a pain sometimes to see a rule broken..comment on it.. warn the person..comment on the warning..then deal with a PM from that person. 

TL;DR  Zero tolerance is back in effect.  This time with less explanation as to why.  Just so busy with real life.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-25 03:29:32 »
After seeing a post where someone had solved a problem in a 2 month old thread but created a separate thread for it for fear of breaking the rules, it has become apparent that our rules need some changing/tweaking.   So once again, people of qhimm, what do you/don't you like and good reasons to change it please.

123Go!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-25 03:58:06 »
2. Posting in threads more than a month old is not allowed. The only exceptions to this are people that release programs have a new version to release, or if there is some new information directly related to the topic at hand. Reviving a thread just to post 'The link doesn't work anymore. Where can I find this?' is not acceptable. The only exception to this is the Completely Unrelated board.

Does this not cover that? It was obviously information directly related.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-25 04:15:16 »
Yeah but it seems that even the people who have read them don't really notice that part.  Maybe it needs to be a little more condensed and made even clearer that necroposting is ok as long as the post has substance.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-25 21:50:59 »
I know the rule sl1982 quotes suggests this, but I really feel the need to reiterate something.

I strongly feel a technical forum should be liberal about necroposting. It's annoying to see old model and texture mods bumped with a one-word "kewl!1!", but in technical documentation, keeping data together is vital. In my current company, one of our biggest flaws is writing anew when old but relevant data is available. Now that we're entering a major development phase, I'm having to scour 6+ years of scattered text files and folders just to try and produce a functional specification.

Necroposting lets us keep things in nicely organized threads, and because our research can take so long (example: camera data), threads stay 'active' for a long time. More importantly, we don't want our members to reinvent the wheel every time they write an extractor / editor / viewer or suchlike. As such, I think we shouldn't make members afraid of making genuine contributions any thread, even if it's almost a decade old.

Related is a complaint of mine about the forum software - I don't think the search engine is very strong. It's hard to find a specific piece of information. That's not something we can change, so let's not make the problem worse by creating lots of redundant threads.

One other thing. Links and downloads to key tools usually degrade. I'd like to see a hosting service for small applications and vital data, so our efforts are never compromised by link rot. I am willing to contribute to server costs, depending on the figures involved. I was thinking of buying server space and a domain for professional purposes, and I'd be more than happy to mirror tools and applications as well.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-25 21:56:43 by Bosola »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-25 22:26:46 »
Bosola: I agree with everything you are saying. But there has to be some rule on necroposting because most of it really has no valuable information. Perhaps we would be better of with a soft enforcement policy. Irrelevant posts will be deleted on sight, but no warnings issued.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-25 22:50:50 »
I appreciate that most necroposts are cruft, so I agree soft enforcement is the best compromise.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-03-26 17:07:50 »
Not sure where the old topic is, but now that sl can change around the boards and descriptions, let's hear your thoughts on what exactly should be done.

I for one like the descriptions set forth in the rules and think the board descriptions should be changed to match them.  Also, the way things are set up now, it seems like a good idea to combine Feedback with Tech Support and simply call it Troubleshooting.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-03-26 20:54:22 »
combine Feedback with Tech Support and simply call it Troubleshooting.
Absolutely yes. As it is, it can be a bit confusing which one to post a question in, and there's not much point to having them separated anyway. I can only see good coming from this.

Also, Tech Related needs renamed. Make it clearer that it's a research forum, not a project or support forum. Not sure WHAT to rename it to, but I think that a rename could reduce instances of threads needing moved.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-03-26 21:00:02 »
Also, the way things are set up now, it seems like a good idea to combine Feedback with Tech Support and simply call it Troubleshooting.

I see no problem with this.

I've never understood why there has to be such a sharp distinction between problems getting the vanilla game running (which are rare nowadays) and problems getting the mods running.

Also, Tech Related needs renamed. Make it clearer that it's a research forum, not a project or support forum. Not sure WHAT to rename it to, but I think that a rename could reduce instances of threads needing moved.

It's not obvious what "tech related" is, but when there are already boards for "projects" and "tech support", it should be obvious what it is not. The people getting confused by this are people who are likely to be confused no matter how clear the board names are.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-03-26 21:10:02 »
So does troubleshooting include all FAQ's as well?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-03-26 21:16:09 »
So does troubleshooting include all FAQ's as well?

Hopefully not. FAQs is full of tutorials that should avoid the need for troubleshooting in the first place.

There's also utility to having a board with important FAQs. Putting the FAQs in with Troubleshooting would mean that either:

1) The important tutorials would be buried by new topics and be made almost impossible to find, or

2) They would be made into unsightly stickies that would dominate the first page of Troubleshooting and generally get in the way

Having a FAQs board avoids those scenarios.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-03-26 21:38:45 »
Yeah that makes sense.

So this is what we are looking at?

1. General
2. Tech Related (with possible name change)
3. Projects
      -Mods
      -Tools
4. Troubleshooting

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-03-26 21:42:49 »
Yeah that makes sense.

So this is what we are looking at?

1. General
2. Tech Related (with possible name change)
3. Projects
      -Mods
      -Tools
4. Troubleshooting

That seems fine, although NFITC1 will probably come along asking for an AI editing  child board somewhere :P

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-03-26 21:44:46 »
I think AI workings of the game would be more suited to the tech related section.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-03-26 23:39:12 »
I'm also still for switching "Frequently Asked Questions" to "FAQ's and Tutorials".

Bosola should be along shortly, I remember there were a few ideas he had as well.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-03-26 23:47:40 »
Yeah, I think there should be some sort of concensus before anything gets changed.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-03-27 00:20:02 »
Just a thought, perhaps tech-related could be renamed to "Reverse Engineering" or something like that?

Also, agreed about FAQs and Tutorials. No need for an apostrophe though ;)

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-03-27 01:30:48 »
I disagree "Reverse Engineering" sounds highly nefarious :/

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-03-27 11:16:14 »
Programming Helping, perhaps?