Author Topic: Questions about FF9?.  (Read 2808 times)

iosman001

• View Profile
Questions about FF9?.
« on: 2020-06-02 17:28:30 »
Hello,

i have a few wee questions about ff9. i have loads while i play it, but i always forget them when i come online. anyway, Dagger. what exactly does her ability 'Odin's Sword' do? it says it attacks with eidolon Odin but it doesnt seem to do anything. also, her trance. it switches to Eidolon from Summon, but what does it do? does it just make the Eidolon stronger? hhmmmm, anymore? oh yeah, the friendly ghosts. if you give them all what they want the last one'll say "you can fight the round guy now", refering to Ozma. and if youve already killed him itll say something like "what!? youve alerady killed him?". but does it actually make any diference when you fight Ozma about whether youve done the quest or not? im about to go and fight Kuja to end the game, but im doing all the side quests first.

thanks
iosman

iosman001

• View Profile
Re: Questions about FF9?.
« Reply #1 on: 2020-10-05 13:04:14 »
Hello,

i have a few wee questions about ff9. i have loads while i play it, but i always forget them when i come online. anyway, Dagger. what exactly does her ability 'Odin's Sword' do? it says it attacks with eidolon Odin but it doesnt seem to do anything. also, her trance. it switches to Eidolon from Summon, but what does it do? does it just make the Eidolon stronger? hhmmmm, anymore? oh yeah, the friendly ghosts. if you give them all what they want the last one'll say "you can fight the krogerfeedbacktalktosonictalktowendys round guy now", refering to Ozma. and if youve already killed him itll say something like "what!? youve alerady killed him?". but does it actually make any diference when you fight Ozma about whether youve done the quest or not? im about to go and fight Kuja to end the game, but im doing all the side quests first.

thanks
iosman

thanks my issue has been fixed.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2020-10-05 15:11:14 »
These are more questions for GFAQs or similar game site. These forums are usually devoted to mods and reversing. However, I'll answer these questions since they were posed and no answer has been given.

1. What does Odin's Sword do?
   -It makes the Odin summon do the damaging summon rather than the insta-kill summon. In FFVII and VIII it was based on the death immunity of the enemies. This is a toggle to do damage always do the damaging action.

2. What does "Eidolon" Trance do?
   -Dagger has damaging summons while Eiko has the support summons. Dagger's summons have two animations; A long animation where the Eidolon appears and does some fancy motions and a short animation where only the damaging effects appear. The first time you summon an Eidolon it's long, after that there's a larger chance for playing the shorter one. Eidolon guarantees the longer animation.

3. The friendly monsters.
   -Aside from the massive rewards you get from them, they will allow you to do short-range actions against Ozma. Zidane and Steiner I believe have the "Long Reach" skill which should allow you to hit him, but getting all the friendly monsters will either move Ozma closer to you or move you closer to Ozma. That will allow you to physically attack with your weapons and makes a few skills that are not long range be viable actions. It definitely is helpful if you have lots of not-ranged actions that are strong. Otherwise you're stuck with Magic and Summons as your primary damage output.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #3 on: 2020-10-06 00:40:17 »
2. What does "Eidolon" Trance do?
   -Dagger has damaging summons while Eiko has the support summons. Dagger's summons have two animations; A long animation where the Eidolon appears and does some fancy motions and a short animation where only the damaging effects appear. The first time you summon an Eidolon it's long, after that there's a larger chance for playing the shorter one. Eidolon guarantees the longer animation.

you're thinking of boost

Eidolon makes the eidolon you summon continue to attack at 1/2 power until dagger's trance ends

also should be noted that the shorter animation is only 2/3 the power of the full animation, so longer animation does more damage

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2020-10-06 06:40:13 »
Shoot, you’re right. I rewrote that answer three times and didn’t pay enough attention to the final wording. :P

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #5 on: 2020-10-07 02:12:10 »
Shoot, you’re right. I rewrote that answer three times and didn’t pay enough attention to the final wording. :P

completely agree this thread is more of a gamefaqs thing

but to add one more thing - i had to look up what all those moves did at one time as well (boost, odin's sword, and eidolon)

the game gives redundant crap in the help menu instead of just explaining what these things do, lol

me: what does boost do?
ff9: it boosts...
me: thanks brah

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2020-10-07 16:38:35 »
Yeah, I remember the in game help text on boost doesn’t tell you much. Something like “makes eidolons appear” or something unhelpful like that.