Author Topic: Replacing in-game cutscenes?  (Read 3304 times)

TerrawindX2

Replacing in-game cutscenes?
« on: 2009-07-08 11:38:29 »
I was thinking that for this remake project, we may have the option of replacing some of the in-game cutscenes with more modern clips.

I think it would be possible if we replaced the opening cutscene of the game with the 2006 PS3 technical demo, although the seamless transition between FMV to gameplay may be compromised, if anyone remembers how the original train scene works compared with the demo.

Its not impossible to recreate the other cutscenes using modern tools. We can take into consideration the brilliant works of Monty Oum, who created the Dead Fantasy series (look up youtube for them) as an example of how we can make great cutscenes using the right tools.

As the cutscenes are far and few between, not much work is needed, unless we're trying to make a full-length 3D advent childrenish movie of FF7. XD

One particular cutscene I thought would look better is the scene where Cloud falls from the tower down to the flower patch. It is in fact an FMV, but the characters are still in their chibi forms. That could change...

Who knows; maybe by making new cutscenes with the appropriate format, there is a chance that the bugs associated with FMV playback on the PC version of FF7 may be resolved.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing in-game cutscenes?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-08 13:51:09 »
I've wanted for a long time to remake the cutscenes, though for the most part the scenes that used chibi models were because the background maintained the chibi scale of the field backgrounds. in those cases i would also use the chibi field models (albeit remade) and for the fullsize cinematics, like the opening, and the escape from midgar on bike fmv, i'd use the new battle models. A lot of time would have to be put in to making the backgrounds though, as not too much of it could be left to a matt.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-08 14:44:57 »
Both myself and Otokoshi have done replacement FMVs using existing clips.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8414.0

Aali's custom graphics driver resolves video playback issues. 

Considering the time and effort spent to create a few minute of dead fantasy, I'm skeptical anyone will ever do custom FMVs for ffvii pc.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-08 17:27:57 »
if i was actually any good at posing (which takes me about 600 years to get a good look, and i cut corners a lot :P) then i'd consider doing it. but i'd have to have some way of getting some similar 3D scenes, not to mention the crisis core models have bones which dont work how i'd like them to.
but yeah, i'd consider doing it if it was at all possible.