Author Topic: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]  (Read 761480 times)

faquemon

Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v.1-.7.6]
« Reply #1650 on: 2010-01-12 15:16:46 »
thank you for your tip and so fast answer!
i will try it in a few minutes and post the results back
thanks once again

well i have been messing around with the drivers configurations and i was able to achieve a better image

linear_filter = on - that did the trick for me the image was awful before and now it is more detailed and similar to what it looked before i think
however turning it on it added a black line around 2d background in battles which gives an anime looking to the game but i kinda like it!

prevent_rounding_errors = yes - it must be also turned on otherwise some strange lines appears on image

use_shaders = no
enable_postprocessing = yes
i can not have booth turned on because everything gains some huge glow ! turning shaders of put the image good again

i don't know what would be the theoretical optimal configuration but if you could point me in that direction i would be very appreciated !
thanks for your attention

« Last Edit: 2010-01-12 16:18:44 by faquemon »

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: 2010-01-14 11:15:02 »
Requirements for the
you have to first run the config and set it up ... then run the FF7open.reg if you have a 64-bit windows run the FF7opengl64.reg file :), if you run the config program for ff7 afterwards you will have to re add the .reg file to your regestry.
Worth noting, you have to have the 1.02 versions of ff7.exe and ff7config.exe, and (I think) you have to set the config to use hardware rendering, not software.
Still not working.  Didn't see a "Hardware rendering" option, though, so I ticked the "NVIDIA" box, and selected "Direct3D Hardware Acceleration."

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: 2010-01-15 17:54:54 »
Requirements for the
you have to first run the config and set it up ... then run the FF7open.reg if you have a 64-bit windows run the FF7opengl64.reg file :), if you run the config program for ff7 afterwards you will have to re add the .reg file to your regestry.
Worth noting, you have to have the 1.02 versions of ff7.exe and ff7config.exe, and (I think) you have to set the config to use hardware rendering, not software.
Still not working.  Didn't see a "Hardware rendering" option, though, so I ticked the "NVIDIA" box, and selected "Direct3D Hardware Acceleration."

I was under the impression the ff7 config was only needed for setting up the sound as the registry replaces all video settings in the registry ?  Untick the nvidia box, set up your sound. click ok. then run the registry fix.

You're supposed to run ff7config and then the registry fix, not the other way around.  eah time you'll run the ff7config, you'll need to re-run the registry fix afterwards.

Also, I've never seen the behavior under XP, but you might need to run ff7config, the reg file and the game as administrator.   I've also never seen this behavior under xp but installing to a non-standard location (NOT in program files) solved some vista issues.  It also needs to be a complete instal I believe (it needs to be for all other mods anyway).

I'd also use a stock config file (redownload the original) to rule out any config issues.  If hardware acceleration isnt checked in ff7config, the difference between the two should be apparent enough.

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: 2010-01-19 13:09:38 »
Still no result.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: 2010-01-20 17:09:48 »
wierd problem i encountered yesterday:
My new laptop has a core 2 duo(2.2GHz) and a 4670(1GB) ATI card in it.  On my old rig (socket A w/3850 ATI AGP) i could simply hit print screen for fullsize screenshots. On my new rig, printscreen simply produces a black image which is the size of my intended resolution. Desktop shots work fine, but ingame they do not. Is this an incompatibilty with my new card? Just curious, i canalways use Fraps to grab screenshots, or run in windowed mode, since print screen shots still work when i use that.

I'm excitied abotu a possible replacement for FF7music.  I have avoided the remastered tracks simply because the gaps in looping bother the hell out of me, no matter how small they are.  That and the fact it causes other odd issues with the game sometimes.

Lee

Sorry for the delayed reply (if you even still care) You are using Windows 7 correct? for some reason you have to use the snip tool, simply pressing the printscreen button no longer works

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: 2010-01-20 22:58:40 »

Sorry for the delayed reply (if you even still care) You are using Windows 7 correct? for some reason you have to use the snip tool, simply pressing the printscreen button no longer works

thanks! i hadn't discovered a workaround yet, and using fraps simply for screen caps seems useless to me

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: 2010-01-21 03:54:10 »
Aali, you have a PM  :-D

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: 2010-01-21 11:10:58 »

thanks! i hadn't discovered a workaround yet, and using fraps simply for screen caps seems useless to me

Run in windowed mode and use the snip tool. not the best work around. But it will work.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: 2010-01-23 08:59:18 »
Hey Aali just had a couple of questions...Will you drivers or do they support .fx or .cgfx file format for shaders? Or will you ever support dx...I apologize for the noob question I am trying to learn coding in opengl and I've made some good progress. Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-24 21:31:00 by Mako »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: 2010-01-23 12:00:01 »
Most shaders will have to be rewritten or atleast modified to work with the driver anyway, and I don't see many people doing that so supporting different shader formats is quite low on my list of priorities. Instead look forward to some interesting stuff that will happen with external textures for the next release :-) Texture compression/caching is already implemented and the ability to override things like blend modes/palettes/zsort and the like will be there. If I can get some extra productive time in you might even have custom animations.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: 2010-01-23 12:13:59 »
Most shaders will have to be rewritten or atleast modified to work with the driver anyway, and I don't see many people doing that so supporting different shader formats is quite low on my list of priorities. Instead look forward to some interesting stuff that will happen with external textures for the next release :-) Texture compression/caching is already implemented and the ability to override things like blend modes/palettes/zsort and the like will be there. If I can get some extra productive time in you might even have custom animations.

Thanks for the fast reply. That sounds amazing animations REALLY Hmmmm :evil:. Anyway I found a neat little compiler the might solve the background problem (might) it just compiles in .fx format...Matter of fact ALL of the cool shader programs are written for DX9~10 DAMN THEM and there stupid formats!!!!. Sorry I've been up all night studying this crap I think I'm burnt out.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: 2010-01-23 12:17:00 »
I could easily make the main fragment shader able to tell when it's rendering original 2D graphics so a filter could be implemented, but no existing shader code would be able to do it automagically, it would have to be written by someone who knows what they're doing.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: 2010-01-23 12:28:04 »
Well maybe you can tell me why this wouldent work (config for hiresolution) I've tested it on 2D surfaces and it seems to do a good job with some minor tweaks.

technique Sharpen
{
    pass Sharpen
    {
        vertexshader =
            asm {
            //
            //
            //
            // Parameters:
            //
            //   float2 ViewSize;
            //
            //
            // Registers:
            //
            //   Name         Reg   Size
            //   ------------ ----- ----
            //   ViewSize     c0       1
            //

preshader
                rcp c0.x, c0.x
                rcp c1.x, c0.y

// approximately 2 instructions used
            //
            //
                vs_1_1
                def c2, 0, 1, 0.5, -0.5
                dcl_position v0
                mov r0.x, -c0.x
                mov r0.y, c1.x
                add oPos.xy, r0, v0
                mov oPos.zw, c2.xyxy
                mad oT0.xy, v0, c2.zwzw, c2.z

// approximately 5 instruction slots used
            };

pixelshader =
            asm {
            //
            //
            //
            // Parameters:
            //
            //   float2 PixelOffsets[9];
            //   float2 ViewSize;
            //
            //
            // Registers:
            //
            //   PixelOffsets c0       9
            //   ViewSize     c9       1
            //

preshader
                rcp r0.x, c9.x
                rcp r0.y, c9.y
                mul c9.xy, r0.xy, c0.xy
                mul c10.xy, r0.xy, c1.xy
                mul c11.xy, r0.xy, c2.xy
                mul c12.xy, r0.xy, c3.xy
                mul c13.xy, r0.xy, c4.xy
                mul c14.xy, r0.xy, c5.xy
                mul c15.xy, r0.xy, c6.xy
                mul c16.xy, r0.xy, c7.xy
                mul c17.xy, r0.xy, c8.xy

// approximately 11 instructions used
            //
            //
            //
            // Parameters:
            //
            //   float PixelWeights[9];
            //   sampler2D frameSamp;
            //
            //
            // Registers:
            //
            //   PixelWeights c0       9
            //   frameSamp    s0       1
            //

ps_2_0
                def c18, 0.125, 0, 0, 0
                dcl t0.xy
                dcl_2d s0
                add r8.xy, t0, c10
                add r7.xy, t0, c9
                add r6.xy, t0, c11
                add r5.xy, t0, c12
                add r4.xy, t0, c13
                add r3.xy, t0, c14
                add r2.xy, t0, c15
                add r1.xy, t0, c16
                add r0.xy, t0, c17
                texld r8, r8, s0
                texld r7, r7, s0
                texld r6, r6, s0
                texld r5, r5, s0
                texld r4, r4, s0
                texld r3, r3, s0
                texld r2, r2, s0
                texld r1, r1, s0
                texld r0, r0, s0
                mul r8, r8, c1.x
                mad r7, r7, c0.x, r8
                mad r6, r6, c2.x, r7
                mad r5, r5, c3.x, r6
                mad r4, r4, c4.x, r5
                mad r3, r3, c5.x, r4
                mad r2, r2, c6.x, r3
                mad r1, r1, c7.x, r2
                mad r0, r0, c8.x, r1
                mul r0, r0, c18.x
                mov oC0, r0

// approximately 29 instruction slots used (9 texture, 20 arithmetic)
            };
    }
}

Edit Damn I forgot to compile it with an original size as reference.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-23 12:29:48 by Mako »

Cronus

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: 2010-01-23 14:09:43 »
I need the aali's custom graphic driver. I think I have it but I dont know how to use it. I've been told that, in order to make timu's barret textured, i have to use this. But I also remember that I've been told that aali's custom is only for Vista? Is there one for XP? If the said driver is for both XP and Vista, can anyone help me with it?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: 2010-01-23 14:13:23 »
But I also remember that I've been told that aali's custom is only for Vista?

You should find the person who told you this and render them infertile in the most painful manner you can imagine; the driver works with XP :-D

Cronus

• View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: 2010-01-23 14:18:09 »
But I also remember that I've been told that aali's custom is only for Vista?

You should find the person who told you this and render them infertile in the most painful manner you can imagine; the driver works with XP :-D

Really? Well, how do i make it work? What I did was, I double clicked the one WITHOUT the 64 bit or vista. But nothing... didn't do anything. Here's my prob. I have Timu's Barret. Before, it has textures. Now its just black after I reformatted my pc. So how can I fix this?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: 2010-01-23 14:22:15 »
Really? Well, how do i make it work? What I did was, I double clicked the one WITHOUT the 64 bit or vista. But nothing... didn't do anything. Here's my prob. I have Timu's Barret. Before, it has textures. Now its just black after I reformatted my pc. So how can I fix this?

Maybe there's something wrong with your Barret model? Who knows, maybe some files didn't get copied properly when you reformatted your PC?

The only help I can give you ATM is suggesting that you redownload and reinstall Timu's Barret model.

Cronus

• View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: 2010-01-23 14:23:41 »

Maybe there's something wrong with your Barret model? Who knows, maybe some files didn't get copied properly when you reformatted your PC?

The only help I can give you ATM is suggesting that you redownload and reinstall Timu's Barret model.

Did that both many times earlier... and still nothing

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: 2010-01-23 14:27:54 »

Hmm, then I really don't know what to do. There's no reason why the driver shouldn't work, as long as you're not using a certain pirated version of the game. You'll have to try messing around with the driver or wait until someone else comes online who can give you more detailed information.

BTW, don't go into FF7config after you install the driver; if you do, you'll reset everything and have to install the driver again.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: 2010-01-23 14:28:44 »
Well maybe you can tell me why this wouldent work (config for hiresolution) I've tested it on 2D surfaces and it seems to do a good job with some minor tweaks.

Because it's not written in GLSL? :)
Looks like a reasonably simple shader, should be rather easy to reimplement as a GLSL function. Even now you can make it not apply to most 3D models by checking for vertextype == TLVERTEX and with future versions of the driver it could be made perfect so it only applies to field backgrounds.

Cronus

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: 2010-01-23 14:30:22 »

Hmm, then I really don't know what to do. There's no reason why the driver shouldn't work, as long as you're not using a certain pirated version of the game. You'll have to try messing around with the driver or wait until someone else comes online who can give you more detailed information.

BTW, don't go into FF7config after you install the driver; if you do, you'll reset everything and have to install the driver again.

Aww man... thanks anyway

Cronus

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: 2010-01-23 14:31:22 »

Looks like a reasonably simple shader, should be rather easy to reimplement as a GLSL function. Even now you can make it not apply to most 3D models by checking for vertextype == TLVERTEX and with future versions of the driver it could be made perfect so it only applies to field backgrounds.

Can you help me out dude? Afterall.. it is your driver right? :-D

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: 2010-01-23 14:53:14 »
Can you help me out dude? Afterall.. it is your driver right? :-D

Well, not really, "it works for me".
I have it running on my XP box, I just click the .reg file and it works. Whatever configuration you have that keeps this from working, it's unlikely there's anything I can do about it.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: 2010-01-23 15:11:09 »

Oh is that what that is! :wink: I was wonderin what all those fancy symbols were :lol:.

EDIT:Ooops I was tired you already support glsl.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-24 21:43:48 by Mako »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: 2010-01-23 16:13:59 »
@Cronus have you checked REGEDIT to see if the registry setting is correct ?
also if you dont know how to check regedit type
REGEDIT
into your RUN box on XP or the search box on Vista and the program should appear (if that fails run it from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGEDIT.EXE for the default path although this may change if you installed windows somwhere else)
then click the + box next to next to
"MY COMPUTER"
then click the + box next to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
then the + next to
"SOFTWARE"
then the + box next to
"Square Soft, Inc."
then the + next to
"Final Fantasy VII"
then the + next to
"1.00"
Then click on the folder called
"Graphics"
now in the righthand box a list should appear, please post what the list of boxes say and their values (if possible post a screenshot)