Author Topic: New home grown sound effects/Foley work  (Read 23644 times)

fluffybumthecat

• "I am so Verdun with this game"
    • View Profile
New home grown sound effects/Foley work
« on: 2014-06-03 08:54:24 »
I'm a lifelong lover of ff7 and also a student halfway through a degree in post production audio and sound design.  If there's cinematic scenes that need audio put to them i can do that.  I'm happy to work on recreating sound effects too.  can't do any of the coding since 1) i can't and 2) on mac

examples of my work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxw4PwtFlng

and ff7 related sound design i put together quickly for this post (about an hour):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Ht32IOk68&feature=youtu.be

finished uni and only work twice a week.  give me something to do

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: New home grown sound effects/Foley work
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-03 09:14:24 »
Select has tried to work on the sound for the PC version, namely adding voice to the attacks.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15227.0

It would be nice if Shard could update his great FF8 sound replacer to work with FF7. Currently we only have Cosmo ( http://mirror.mypage.sk/ficedula/php/programs3a9a.html ) to edit the sound files.

Scrat

• Don't eat yellow snow... even if it might be beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-03 10:14:41 »
I may end up working with fluffy as we are in the same house together! Hence I may also end up trying to imbed his sounds at some point, but I suppose we can cross that bridge later (and I will be asking for pointers). Hopefully it will just be a case of naming the right filetype and dropping it somewhere.

I sat through the making of the ff7 video and he definately knows his stuff!

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-03 14:02:40 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 17:02:48 by dkma841 »

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-03 14:41:31 »
Wow loving those sound effects best so far! :D

well i'm halfway through the FMV of Sapphire Weapon attacking Junon.  I'll upload it for you to watch now.

keep in mind that i haven't actually mixed it at all yet.  only creative mixing, no corrective/placement mixing.  It's still very rough mix wise.  The second half still isn't complete.  the artillery barrage needs work and so does all following stuff.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-03 14:45:48 »
Amazing work man! I'd prefer to listen to the sword sound more like a slash with a "zing" finish sound in the end if this is possible...

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-03 14:49:26 »
http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/fluffybumthecat/media/ScreenShot2014-06-03at152652_zps8d79cace.png.html?filters[user]=140441179&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

video so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsZWeCkljqg&feature=youtu.be

youtube upload messed up my roar at the end though...  not sure why it doubled it.

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-06-03 14:50:17 »
Amazing work man! I'd prefer to listen to the sword sound more like a slash with a "zing" finish sound in the end if this is possible...

yeah i get what you mean.  i'll work on it soon.  I have to leave for work very soon though so i'll look at it when i get back tonight maybe if i have the time

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-06-03 15:13:39 »
http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/fluffybumthecat/media/ScreenShot2014-06-03at152652_zps8d79cace.png.html?filters[user]=140441179&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

video so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsZWeCkljqg&feature=youtu.be

youtube upload messed up my roar at the end though...  not sure why it doubled it.

I also just gave it a listen through my mixing speakers and it sounds very harsh. Try ignore that and any high pitch clicking/glitches. Like i said, not really even half way through and no mixing. I'll address any issues after work

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-06-03 16:26:25 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 17:02:43 by dkma841 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-03 16:55:58 »
This is some impressive stuff. I like what I'm hearing.

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-06-03 18:46:47 »
Well I'm looking for work!

Scrat

• Don't eat yellow snow... even if it might be beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-06-04 20:45:55 »
I was thinking about the request for a zing in the buster sword animation, This would be good, but should be saved for crit hits like the original in my opinion.

Also, would it be worth fluffy building different sounds for the same effect? Can 7th heaven or a program like it mix up the sounds so that you don't get the same effect every time? or at least so that different enemies receive hits differently (Metal monsters would make a different sound to fleshy monsters)

Could be generating you a great deal of work just there mate!

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-06-04 21:41:14 »
I was thinking about the request for a zing in the buster sword animation, This would be good, but should be saved for crit hits like the original in my opinion.

Also, would it be worth fluffy building different sounds for the same effect? Can 7th heaven or a program like it mix up the sounds so that you don't get the same effect every time? or at least so that different enemies receive hits differently (Metal monsters would make a different sound to fleshy monsters)

Could be generating you a great deal of work just there mate!

It will need a new tool for that, something similar like ff7music but for sounds. 7th Heaven can't  randomly change the sound.

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-06-05 06:36:09 »
It will need a new tool for that, something similar like ff7music but for sounds. 7th Heaven can't  randomly change the sound.

It would be great if a script randomly chose hit sounds or chose them dependant on enemy type

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-06-08 12:58:56 »
This said, if anyone wants specific Sfx or attack sounds. Just tell me and include a video on YouTube or whatever to show my which sound you want. Or describe it (I.e clouds attack and crit hit). Try include any specifics or preferences or a particular sound that you want it to be like. Pm me

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-06-09 14:13:21 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqv9HSZf0go&feature=youtu.be

right.  all i'm going to do until there's a specific chain/plan in who's doing what/what i'm doing or what's needed.  it's an update, not finished, don't see any point in working more on this until i know what section of the game i'm needed to actually work on.  enjoy

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-06-17 18:40:15 »
If anyone has a project that needs audio. Message me

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-06-17 21:23:16 »
Granted i am just one voice, But i can give you some direction where your wonderful skills could be used:

* Element sound effects are terrible, Fire is choppy 8-bit garbage, Thunder is.. questionable at best, Ice isn't so bad, But i'd love to see what you could do to it.

* Obviously the battle effects, specifically bullets and explosions, are dated.

just with those I'd think you'd be busy for a while, Than again, you seem well versed in your craft. So you'll probably have them done in a day haha. Now i'm not sure if you wanted to be provided the sounds or not, You seemed to do a great job picking them yourself. So i left it at that :P

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 2014-06-17 22:20:38 »
Link

Link

Link

Recreating those would go a long way for the sound of the game. We haven't worked on sound effects in ages, and they have a lot of volume and clipping issues.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-17 22:22:16 by EQ2Alyza »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-06-18 04:53:26 »
I made this a while back for switching sound effects in and out, as long as you save your effects as MS ADPCM you should just be able to repack them. Looping sfx will require a little fiddling.

fluffybumthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-06-18 07:54:48 »
Granted i am just one voice, But i can give you some direction where your wonderful skills could be used:

* Element sound effects are terrible, Fire is choppy 8-bit garbage, Thunder is.. questionable at best, Ice isn't so bad, But i'd love to see what you could do to it.

* Obviously the battle effects, specifically bullets and explosions, are dated.

just with those I'd think you'd be busy for a while, Than again, you seem well versed in your craft. So you'll probably have them done in a day haha. Now i'm not sure if you wanted to be provided the sounds or not, You seemed to do a great job picking them yourself. So i left it at that :P

Right, I'll get onto recreating some battle sounds. Starting with the playable characters etc etc. thanks

Link

Link

Link

Recreating those would go a long way for the sound of the game. We haven't worked on sound effects in ages, and they have a lot of volume and clipping issues.

Okay as soon as I get on my laptop I'll look through them. All I've got today is a room to clean then work in 7 hours so could get a lot done.

I made this a while back for switching sound effects in and out, as long as you save your effects as MS ADPCM you should just be able to repack them. Looping sfx will require a little fiddling.

I'm on mac so I'm unsure if I can do packaging for the game. I'll look as soon as on laptop

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-06-18 08:29:28 »
I can recompile for mac easily enough if necessary.

Here you go, they might a different version of the CRT so let me know if they don't work and I'll rebuild them with a static lib.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-18 08:41:14 by luksy »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-05 10:39:12 »
Hey fluffybumthecat,
You have asked for work, haven't you? Well here we go. I need several ambient background sounds: busy city, dirty slum, suspicious black market, temple in the wood, deep forest, what ever you could imagine for the field scenes. This will be a lot of work, but it would be worth the effort.

PS: Your name reminds me on this: