Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Battle editor - Proud Clod (1.5.0/FINAL)  (Read 366141 times)

LegacyHero

• View Profile
Re: Official Proud Clod 1.5.0.α_4!
« Reply #450 on: 2011-08-06 14:04:42 »
@NFITC1
  I'm sorry, I didn't see an included readme in ProudClod when I downloaded.  Just checked it again and still no.  I've selected create scene.bin that got me in this whole debacle in the first place.  Whatever I did, it didn't update the kernel.bin.  Will you just tell me how to update the kernel using Proud Clod please?  I seriously do not have a readme from this version.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-06 14:48:58 by LegacyHero »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: 2011-08-06 15:03:15 »
He didn't include it, you need an "official" version for this. If it didn't update, it was because there was no need to.

LegacyHero

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 2011-08-06 16:47:52 »
I see. Thanks.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 2011-08-17 21:24:34 »
Wow... Will this tool be able to edit any byte of the scenes? Are all the bytes known?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: 2011-09-09 01:30:23 »
Still working on better things....

Sorry to double-post, but I was just wondering... Will this tool combine both of your programs, Wall Market and Proud Clod? And I haven't got any answer to my question either :P Can you tell when you'd be able to release this?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #456 on: 2011-09-09 12:07:44 »
Sorry to double-post, but I was just wondering... Will this tool combine both of your programs, Wall Market and Proud Clod? And I haven't got any answer to my question either :P Can you tell when you'd be able to release this?
No and No are the answers to these questions.
Wow... Will this tool be able to edit any byte of the scenes? Are all the bytes known?
Sort of. This isn't going to be as direct as editing already existing flat files. This reads all the existing data and makes it more manipulatable. As it is, copying an entire enemy from one scene to another has the current PrC doing all sorts of crazy array copies that I don't entirely trust. What this will do is load the data from the scene.bin into attacks, enemies, and formations and recompile them back into scene files when you want to save. That will make it much easier to copy whole enemies and attack data between scenes without having to worry about how to replace the AI. It's easier to create from scratch than make a whole bunch of replacement and relocate methods.
As for bytes known, not entirely. Most of the ones marked as unknown on the wiki are simply unused. Some are labeled, but have not been fully investigated. The 32 bit flags at the end of the formation entries aren't completely known. I've been trying to look into it, but there's a lot of ground to cover. It takes that and maps it into 4020-403F battle memory which then gets stored into this rather large array of actor data when it comes time for said enemy to act. After that I don't know what happens to it. Stuff like that. PrCMDI will still modify these, but without labeling their function.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #457 on: 2012-02-26 18:59:17 »
I've encountered a few niggles with this version. Overall, the release is impressive, but there are a few minor changes that I think would really improve the application:

1. I'm not completely sold on the new damage algorithm UI. I understand that it's more 'accurate' than the older interfaces, but it creates discoverability issues. For example, if I want an attack to reduce a target's HP to 1, I have to know to try using the 9x class (magical; uses manipulate hit chance), or otherwise use trial and error to find the equation I want. That can be a tad frustrating.

2. There's an issue with how the UI lets several fields gain focus simultaneously. Consider the following example - if I start typing, which field gets updated?

The answer is none - nothing's actually selected. But it's impossible to tell. I'd suggest not putting any field in focus unless it's been clicked on.

3. UI controls in the AI window have a few padding and location issues (this is on Win7 64-bit) - look at the 'Disassemble', 'Search for Orphans' and 'Check Attacks' buttons:

4. It'd probably be a good idea to abstract the targeting controls, but that's a matter for a later release.

5. There are a few little problems with the AI editor. Auto-updating pointers as I enter assembler means I can't write my code on paper then just transcribe. There are times when tabbing / pressing enter after an opcode pushes me onto a newline, which then causes exceptions if it needs an argument.

6. When I alter a creature's name in the stats dialog, the change isn't reflected when I exit it.

7. It'd be nice to be able to re-import enemy stats / element and status affinities after dumping them. That'd allow me to make mass-manipulations with more advanced tools, like Excel. This isn't a major thing, though, and it would probably only benefit me and about three other people.

8. I'd also like to see a raw damage estimator for enemy attacks. That would help me gauge appropriate attack and magic power values.

Just a few ideas for the next release. Other than that, keep up the good work!

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #458 on: 2012-02-27 13:35:24 »
I've encountered a few niggles with this version. Overall, the release is impressive, but there are a few minor changes that I think would really improve the application:

PrC is currently undergoing a complete rewrite which will address many of the issues you just brought up. I'll make a new topic when it's ready because it will be a completely different application.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: 2012-03-04 06:48:37 »
thank you for rewriting it, but it was very good from the beginning :D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #460 on: 2012-03-05 13:28:11 »
thank you for rewriting it, but it was very good from the beginning :D

You're only saying that because there's nothing else to compare it to. The new one will make this one look like it was obsolete ten years ago (don't quote me on that).

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: 2012-03-09 12:35:01 »
You will make another tool for the same purpose, but would you keep updating this one? Or will it become truly obsolete?

Also, will you change the language in which you wrote it? I know you wrote both Proud Clod and Wall Market in Visual Basic but do you plan on going with a more advanced language like C# or C++?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #462 on: 2012-03-09 14:53:17 »
It's a re-write of PrC. It'll have a different layout and interface, but it'll have the same purpose.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #463 on: 2012-03-09 16:13:07 »
You will make another tool for the same purpose, but would you keep updating this one? Or will it become truly obsolete?

Also, will you change the language in which you wrote it? I know you wrote both Proud Clod and Wall Market in Visual Basic but do you plan on going with a more advanced language like C# or C++?

How's C# more advanced than VB? They're both .NET languages with memory management, that compile to the same kind of bytecode.

As for C++, well, being low level doesn't make things more 'advanced', just further abstracted. Abstraction is a good thing, and is something that OO languages like C++ aspire to anyway. Ever hunted memory leaks in a large C++ project? That's time you could spend making your application, well, better. Quite a trade-off for the overhead savings.

The only real reason to move to C++ is that it would free PC of the Microsoft Windows environment, but in practice, maintaining a single codebase for multiple platforms isn't workable in practice. You can move to Java for better results, but even there, there are still implementation-specific issues unless you sacrifice the application's native look and feel, which is a bit of a UX issue (a native appearance assures users that an application will work in the ways they expect).

Mind you, I'm planning to write the next version of Libre in platform-independent JS + HTML, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that regard.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #464 on: 2012-03-09 16:48:50 »
Mind you, I'm planning to write the next version of Libre in platform-independent JS + HTML, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that regard.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We all have our preferences. I'm still writing in VB.NET which will still translate into usable libraries for any .NET applications anyone wants to make.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #465 on: 2012-03-09 19:28:52 »
... in practice, maintaining a single codebase for multiple platforms isn't workable in practice. You can move to Java for better results, but even there, there are still implementation-specific issues unless you sacrifice the application's native look and feel, which is a bit of a UX issue (a native appearance assures users that an application will work in the ways they expect).

black chocobo has one code base for all platforms. it would also look completely native on any os (were qt works) if i remove my overriding theme for the gui parts. most Qt programs have one codebase and almost all run anywhere qt works (providing they don't use os specific other parts.)
[mini rant]
i use Qt, the objects help w/ memory management since they are all aware of when a new is needed or removed and automatic free or malloc the needed space. oh and with bindings to a bunch of different languages ,c++, c# , and java are a few. i fail to see why more people are not using it. qt works everywhere windows,linux,mac os, etc.. as well as unoffical support for android, blackberry, window phone, ios. 0 code changes are needed you only have to change the build target (or build on that system).
[/min rant]

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #466 on: 2012-03-12 13:22:18 »
Most open source have one main codebase. However, in many cases, there are rewrites for different languages.
When you manage to write your own portable code in a low level IDE, or in a toolchain, it "feels" better imo. It becomes more like your child lol.
I must admit that big IDEs like QT develop and Visual Studio are highly efficient for their purposes. Java and C# syntax is very sexy.  8-) All my progys on qhimm are C#. I am planning on rewriting everything in C++ to make 'em more portable (Java is too slow imo).
[/offtopic]

@NFITC
So it's an entire new rewrite, huh? Can I come with a suggestion? It would be great to view multiple enemies at once (different windows/tabs) and have a lock/unlock feature on enemies/attacks/etc with same ID. You edit one, you edit all if they're locked. There isn't a feature like that now, is it? :P

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #467 on: 2012-03-12 14:12:55 »
So it's an entire new rewrite, huh? Can I come with a suggestion? It would be great to view multiple enemies at once (different windows/tabs) and have a lock/unlock feature on enemies/attacks/etc with same ID. You edit one, you edit all if they're locked. There isn't a feature like that now, is it? :P

That's the core reason for the re-write, actually. The lock idea is not. I'll post some screenshots when it starts looking decent.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #468 on: 2012-03-12 16:00:45 »
ok, I saw those screen shots now. looking good.

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: 2012-09-14 00:43:53 »
I'm using the "reasonable difficulty" mod in Bootleg 0039, but I still find it a bit too easy so I want to edit the enemies. I have two questions really:

1. Is there any way to edit the stats of all enemies at the same time? For example, if I want to double the hp of all enemies in the game. I really don't want to go over every single one manually.

2. Seeing as there isn't a readme included, how do you save? I open the scene.bin but every I close it nothing saves.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #470 on: 2012-09-14 01:04:31 »
>file >create scene.bin
thats saving

also, nope, you have to go through every enemy manually. you can trick a little by syncing enemies with their own copies but that still has you manually edit every unique enemy once
if you want harder, just try the hardcore mod then?

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: 2012-09-14 06:41:33 »
>file >create scene.bin
thats saving

also, nope, you have to go through every enemy manually. you can trick a little by syncing enemies with their own copies but that still has you manually edit every unique enemy once
if you want harder, just try the hardcore mod then?
Do you mean gjoerulv's hardcore mod? Really, all these mods have a severe lack of changelogs. I have no idea how gjoerulv's mod compare to say the reasonable difficulty one. With that said, while a bit more overall damage would be nice, what I want most is to drastically increase the overall HP of monsters, because I'm playing with no 9999 limit. Reasonable difficulty on average has 25% more HP I think, but I want more.
Thanks for your answer anyway.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #472 on: 2012-09-14 13:46:17 »
yes I mean Gjoreluvs hardcore mod
thats probably the next step from reasonable difficulty
after the hardcore mod comes my Nightmare mod ( which is designed around no 9999 limit )
and I'm not sure what kind of changelog you want?
"All monsters edited, made them stronger and smarter."
"Edited a few weapons."
"Edited some materia."

stuff like that?

RilleL

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: 2012-09-14 15:55:26 »
... and I'm not sure what kind of changelog you want?
"All monsters edited, made them stronger and smarter."
"Edited a few weapons."
"Edited some materia."

stuff like that?
Well, there's very little descriptions is what I meant, which makes it hard to compare different mods. I'm hesitant to use more drastic mods that heavily changes equipment and materia because I feel it becomes a different game. I would be perfectly fine with a more traditional harder difficulty, like smarter enemies with more hp/damage, which reasonable difficulty does to an extent. The hp/dmg ratio is more skewed towards hp though because of the aforementioned no 9999 limit. I guess I'll check the mods you suggested.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #474 on: 2012-09-14 16:07:30 »
if you want traditional, hardcore and nightmare isn't for you
your best bet is making your own mod