Author Topic: Entertaining an idea  (Read 28276 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Entertaining an idea
« Reply #25 on: 2010-09-01 01:44:21 »
Then Godspeed, but I don't think you will find much help with us.

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #26 on: 2010-09-01 01:50:46 »
Like I said, even a person to bounce ideas off of would be a tremendous help. I like to plan out the basics before I get to to the actual developing, that way you know what to shoot for when you begin as opposed to just trying different ways that come to your head spontaneously. Two heads are better then one, as the old adage goes, someone to bounce ideas off of helps me to refine the concept before development.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: 2010-09-01 02:10:48 »
I can bounce  :mrgreen:

So what is your plan on the Walking around/Spring into battle idea?

FF7 was so split down the middle because of the way it was. You're thinking of Real-time, so what kind of transitions would you think of using for that?

I think the battles of FF7 are one of the most important concepts of the game, that's why I bring it up first.

Are we looking at DoC running around then "oh hey there's bad guys..." or kind of like Walking around, scene stops as your enemy approaches, then into battle we go?

Just trying to get a feel of your position on the battling system.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-09-01 02:21:06 »
Here are my two pennies. I say what I'm about to say without any knowledge of making games. It might be that I'm overestimating what you have to do, but I doubt it.

You have to understand that you are trying to start a huge project, remaking the game, and one that will have very little benefit to anyone until it is finished. Maybe you think that you can see a project of this size through to completion. Maybe you can do it. But we see lots of big projects like this on here and very few of them go anywhere. Have a look at q-gears; that project has been going on for years and it still isn't finished. And q-gears has some very experienced and determined programmers working on it. I don't see you making progress in this project as quickly as Halkun and Akari have made progress with their project, and I don't see your patience lasting as long either. Maybe you're enthusiastic now, but what will happen in a year's time if progress is slow? Will you still be willing to continue?

As a general rule, the most successful projects on these forums are the more modest ones that give immediate results. If you're making a hardcore mod, you can see some of the fruits of you labour after a few minutes of playing around. If you're making a tool or a model, you can see results and have something worth using within weeks or days. Motivation is very important in projects that people are not getting paid for. This is why I suggested that Team Avalanche focus on one part of the game, which lead sl and timu to announce the Bombing Mission; having something playable as quickly as possible is good for one's motivation because it shows that one's work is paying off (the Bombing Mission has some other benefits in that it's easier when work is broken down into chunks and it's easier when there are several kinds of models and textures being made, giving different artists a chance to work in parallel).

The Team Avalanche project is the only one of its size that I can see working out, because it can be broken down and progress can be seen quickly. It's also a project that started off small, with sl just making a new font, and grew to be huge as more and more visible progress was made and more and more people joined. I can't see your project going the same way. Even if you're determined and skilled, I can see this fizzling out very quickly.

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #29 on: 2010-09-01 02:49:14 »
I can bounce  :mrgreen:

So what is your plan on the Walking around/Spring into battle idea?

FF7 was so split down the middle because of the way it was. You're thinking of Real-time, so what kind of transitions would you think of using for that?

I think the battles of FF7 are one of the most important concepts of the game, that's why I bring it up first.

Are we looking at DoC running around then "oh hey there's bad guys..." or kind of like Walking around, scene stops as your enemy approaches, then into battle we go?

Just trying to get a feel of your position on the battling system.
Actually, this is one of the things I was thinking about myself, originally I had thought of doing them all on the field like FFVII:DoC, but then I got to thinking if it's done similar to the original and Crisis Core, it would be a bit easier as it would increase the randomness of random battles, as well as keep the use of several of the materia which modify random battles (preemptive strike, etc.) As well as reducing the number of models required on the map at a given time if you fade out any other NPC models, allowing a smoother frame rate without the extra graphics being rendered.

Here are my two pennies. I say what I'm about to say without any knowledge of making games. It might be that I'm overestimating what you have to do, but I doubt it.

You have to understand that you are trying to start a huge project, remaking the game, and one that will have very little benefit to anyone until it is finished. Maybe you think that you can see a project of this size through to completion. Maybe you can do it. But we see lots of big projects like this on here and very few of them go anywhere. Have a look at q-gears; that project has been going on for years and it still isn't finished. And q-gears has some very experienced and determined programmers working on it. I don't see you making progress in this project as quickly as Halkun and Akari have made progress with their project, and I don't see your patience lasting as long either. Maybe you're enthusiastic now, but what will happen in a year's time if progress is slow? Will you still be willing to continue?

As a general rule, the most successful projects on these forums are the more modest ones that give immediate results. If you're making a hardcore mod, you can see some of the fruits of you labour after a few minutes of playing around. If you're making a tool or a model, you can see results and have something worth using within weeks or days. Motivation is very important in projects that people are not getting paid for. This is why I suggested that Team Avalanche focus on one part of the game, which lead sl and timu to announce the Bombing Mission; having something playable as quickly as possible is good for one's motivation because it shows that one's work is paying off (the Bombing Mission has some other benefits in that it's easier when work is broken down into chunks and it's easier when there are several kinds of models and textures being made, giving different artists a chance to work in parallel).

The Team Avalanche project is the only one of its size that I can see working out, because it can be broken down and progress can be seen quickly. It's also a project that started off small, with sl just making a new font, and grew to be huge as more and more visible progress was made and more and more people joined. I can't see your project going the same way. Even if you're determined and skilled, I can see this fizzling out very quickly.
I'm actually a very dedicated person, when I set my sights on something I may deviate from it here or there, but I keep going untill I can't go any further or I get it done. The Unreal Tournament mod I was doing was 90 hours put in over the period of 2 years, and was actually my first full scale mod, it was intended to be a "Medieval era" mod, the only ranged weapons being bows/crossbows, but primarily sticking with melee weapons. I admit that this project of mine is beyond large, which is the reason for me looking for others to bounce ideas off of and such. Besides, a fresh mind thinking about the same thing as me might think of another way to do something that I'm stuck on. Hence why I chose the user base here, because of how long I've been a member/lurker of these forums I know that most of the members here know what they're doing and could help with refining the concept of a Final Fantasy VII game.

EDIT: As it stands right now I'm in the process of mapping out each aspect of the original game and how it might be converted into the concept I have.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-01 02:51:24 by Senti »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-09-01 03:08:27 »
I'm going to go ahead and demotivate you a little more by agreeing with both Kudistos and Halkun.   This isn't going to go anywhere.

For a perfect, single example of why I say this, please refer to this thread -> http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9518.0 Of course, as I've said in all the other threads like this, feel free to prove me/us wrong and good luck.   However, if your resolve has been weakened enough about your project, might I suggest jumping on board one of the other dozens of projects currently going on.

/pessimism

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-09-01 03:19:13 »
I'm gonna go ahead and point out a major difference with Squall Leonhart 3000: He pretty much admitted right off the bat that he had no skill, and showed ZERO inclination to even make an attempt at any actual work. I think, more than anything, he wanted a finished project that he could play, and he was trying to get other people to do it by pretending to be a team player.

I doubt Senti can do this alone, but it seems that he's at least able and willing to try.

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #32 on: 2010-09-01 03:50:55 »
I'm going to go ahead and demotivate you a little more by agreeing with both Kudistos and Halkun.   This isn't going to go anywhere.

For a perfect, single example of why I say this, please refer to this thread -> http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9518.0 Of course, as I've said in all the other threads like this, feel free to prove me/us wrong and good luck.   However, if your resolve has been weakened enough about your project, might I suggest jumping on board one of the other dozens of projects currently going on.

/pessimism
Already offering assistance where I can to the other projects out there. There's not much I can offer to most of them aside from perspective and a file hosting service, but that's not so hard to do if you have the resources. I can do some basic modeling and texturing though my skills at those are no where near the level of many of the model makers here, so most, if not all of what I could contribute on that front others could do much better then I could. I'm more then willing to do what I can though, I try to keep up on the various projects around and look for any roles I can help out with in those projects.

I'm gonna go ahead and point out a major difference with Squall Leonhart 3000: He pretty much admitted right off the bat that he had no skill, and showed ZERO inclination to even make an attempt at any actual work. I think, more than anything, he wanted a finished project that he could play, and he was trying to get other people to do it by pretending to be a team player.

I doubt Senti can do this alone, but it seems that he's at least able and willing to try.
I admit, I'm likely getting in a bit over my head for my current level of skill, but I'm not the kind of person afraid of learning as I go and refining my own abilities. Each of my own projects I start is to test and learn for myself as much as creating something for others. I'm the kind of person that loves to learn new things. I love a bit of a challenge and that's why I do things such as this, or my previous projects. For me most of the actual fun is in the project itself, the finish project is just there for self-gratification. I also admit, the wording of my original post was implying I wanted others to do work for me, but that's not how I intended it at all, though the help down the line would be great to have, until that time I don't plan on relying on anyone else for anything except the possibility of idea bouncing as now.

Edit: Looks like UDK is a no go due to hardware issues, loaded up one of their tutorial open sources games to look over the coding structure and see the difference between it and the original Unreal Engine that I used long ago, crashed multiple times while loading the 3d renderings, did some in depth research on the crash report and found that, even though my graphics card exceeds the minimal requirements when it comes to specifications, the software portion is not compatible, so after a quick search and research I've found a secondary game engine in ShiVa 3D, also free, at http://www.stonetrip.com/ and I'm currently going over the coding styles and learning the program itself before I start in earnest.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-01 04:11:05 by Senti »

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: 2010-09-01 05:25:01 »
Actually, this is one of the things I was thinking about myself, originally I had thought of doing them all on the field like FFVII:DoC, but then I got to thinking if it's done similar to the original and Crisis Core, it would be a bit easier as it would increase the randomness of random battles, as well as keep the use of several of the materia which modify random battles (preemptive strike, etc.) As well as reducing the number of models required on the map at a given time if you fade out any other NPC models, allowing a smoother frame rate without the extra graphics being rendered.

Hmm, I've never played Crisis Core because I don't have a PSP lol. But after watching a few battle-scene vids I like the style you are thinking. I wonder if it would be smart/plausible to use a KotOR style for Materia usage to slow things down for people who need time to think lol. I don't know if you've played the fan made Team Avalanche yet or not, but I think that would be  cool way to incorporate random battles.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-09-01 07:10:12 »
Well, if you're willing to put in the effort, then go for it, but I do HIGHLY suggest releasing any updates for it on a different site from Qhimm, so we don't get in trouble for it if Square decides to bring down its legal hammer on the project, like Chrono Trigger.

In fact, asking permission from Square themselves would be a better idea. Try to contact them and ask about starting such a project. Try to appeal to them and make them want to let you start it, like your idea for needing an actual installation. Or, allow Square to take the program and sell it as they see fit once it's finished. That's what I think you should do, but it's really all up to you.

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #35 on: 2010-09-01 14:01:02 »
Well, if you're willing to put in the effort, then go for it, but I do HIGHLY suggest releasing any updates for it on a different site from Qhimm, so we don't get in trouble for it if Square decides to bring down its legal hammer on the project, like Chrono Trigger.

In fact, asking permission from Square themselves would be a better idea. Try to contact them and ask about starting such a project. Try to appeal to them and make them want to let you start it, like your idea for needing an actual installation. Or, allow Square to take the program and sell it as they see fit once it's finished. That's what I think you should do, but it's really all up to you.
This has already been thought of, once I get the ball rolling on the programming portion, getting in touch with their legal department is actually one of my plans. Like I said, I'm not worried about the legalities of the project until it's time to worry about that. Right now the project is still primarily an idea, got some of those put down into writing, on here and on paper where I'm listing each of the various aspects of the game and how I'm wanting to do them. I'm also having to learn an entirely new programming engine then what I've used in the past, which isn't much of a surprise because I'm sure that the Unreal Engine 3 which is what comes with UDK is different from Unreal Engine 1 in enough ways to make me have to learn it all anew.

Hmm, I've never played Crisis Core because I don't have a PSP lol. But after watching a few battle-scene vids I like the style you are thinking. I wonder if it would be smart/plausible to use a KotOR style for Materia usage to slow things down for people who need time to think lol. I don't know if you've played the fan made Team Avalanche yet or not, but I think that would be  cool way to incorporate random battles.
Yes, I do like the way that the random battles are in CC, you're running around in non-combat mode (can't attack or cast spells). Screen pausing a moment as enemies appear, you drawing your weapon and readying for battle and enabling the use of combat magic. Of course, like I said before, would keep it more toward the original with the materia and such, including the limit breaks, though those would require pausing the enemy and ally units on the battlefield to perform properly, it wouldn't require much changing those from what they are now. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a KotOR, you talking about the Star Wars game? If so, I've never played that one, played JKJO and JKJA though.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 2010-09-01 20:36:50 »
I should probably point out that it's been a year since I thought up Rebirth (KERNEL and SCENE hack), and it still isn't done. Granted, I've been very busy this year, but developing a whole game from scratch just isn't feasible.

I suggest thinking what's most important to you about this mod, and then join an existing project that seeks something similar. If you'd like to see FF7 with hi-res assets or more advanced engines, TA and Q-Gears could help. If the battle engine is important to you, well, first I'd suggest thinking how this works out. You could use the Source SDK and use HL chars as placeholders for your private project, to see if the battle system works as anticipated.

A wild HEADCRAB approaches! Command?

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #37 on: 2010-09-01 20:55:37 »
The biggest portion of what I was hoping to accomplish with this was the TPS/RPG style play, more similar to CC and DoC then the turn based play. The only real downside to this is the inability to control multiple people, which I was going to address by allowing you to swap the main controllable character with the PHS system, and have two others controlled by AI following you around and assisting in battle. The idea itself is very feasible actually, after all nothing is impossible, though the time and effort required to do it may make it seem unrealistic to most. The tools are there to do it, all it takes is the willingness to learn and actually do it.

battlemage210

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-09-02 00:00:27 »
A wild HEADCRAB approaches! Command?
Run away!

Attempt failed. you die.

Heh Heh, i could see something like this being the method, however attacks from behind and such would be quite interesting, you cant always just stumble upon something, they have to take the initiative to attack you too.

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #39 on: 2010-09-02 00:49:38 »
Hence the reason for using a battle system similar to CC, you can stumble upon them and get the preemptive strike, or they could ambush you and give you a good slap on the behind. However, I was still going to make it real time, meaning you can chain attacks and cast spells without worrying about an ATB or anything like that, Slow would actually slow your movements down and Haste would speed them up. Outside of battle you could use non-damaging spells as normal, but adding in a few extras in that such as Haste to get around quicker on foot. When I get my table of the way I see the various game parts playing out in my head I'll post it to let others see a little more clearly what I see in my head.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: 2010-09-02 06:34:22 »
Yes, I do like the way that the random battles are in CC, you're running around in non-combat mode (can't attack or cast spells). Screen pausing a moment as enemies appear, you drawing your weapon and readying for battle and enabling the use of combat magic. Of course, like I said before, would keep it more toward the original with the materia and such, including the limit breaks, though those would require pausing the enemy and ally units on the battlefield to perform properly, it wouldn't require much changing those from what they are now. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a KotOR, you talking about the Star Wars game? If so, I've never played that one, played JKJO and JKJA though.

Yeah Star Wars lol. KotOR has a style in which you can literally pause the game, select attacks for all of your party members (you can switch between three of them either paused or unpaused). The only difference is KotOR lets you select all attacks, whereas I'm only talking about materia, and only for one character.

Also, on a note of ways to make AI parties seem more helpful when you aren't switching often, check out Dragon Age: Origins. The way you can give characters a "Job" with a list of if-then statements such as "If _____ health <50% cast heal," these statements can work for any aspect of combat too, as there are many variations for the spells to use and the reason's to use them. You can even set them to change fighting style.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-09-02 07:00:16 »
That sounds much like FF12's battle system. Which most people did not like.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: 2010-09-02 08:52:58 »
The only FF12 I played was for the DS so I'm not sure how similar it is in that aspect. I don't think I'm being as clear as I want to be with this lol, but I'm unsure how to put it.

General Combat - Normal attack maneuvers and combination based on buttons/keys used (Also, note to Senti, I would suggest making the game Controller compatible)

Materia Aspect - Fighting Pause when you hit button or key to bring up materia menu, menu should take up quarter of the screen. In menu, select skill/magic/summon to use. 2 ideas for targeting - 1. (This idea is new as I was thinking of "Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits") All magics/skills should have an AoE, and the range (length and width of scope) should be judged on level. 2.Specific targeting using the "Arrow-over-head" method and selecting as many enemies as magic/skill was meant to hit. Summons should hurt all, and encompass entire feild in their attacks.

AI Fighting - (When not controlling certain members of party - ) Prior to going into battle (i.e. like when player is setting up skills and whatnot) Player should be able to set the general terms for his party members (including Cloud) with such values as "Upon: Enter Battle, (Character) Casts (Support Magic)" or "If: (Party Member) (Health/MP) reaches < (percentage) use/cast (healing potion/spell/elixer/etc)". Another thing would be to set styles such as "Beserker, Medic etc" for preset usage, unless you want to force players to set them up themselves. Another aspect to AI fighting would be deciding whether you want to make like Infinite Undiscovery and have Party stances such as "Focus (attack one enemy), Spread (each Party Member attacks random enemy), Etc." or to set these kinds of stances for each character along with their general terms.

AI Materia use - Similar to KotOR, you can set characters to use materia under certain terms, but if, for instance, there is a boss like Ifrit, who you want to constantly cast Blizzard on, Materia pause menu should let you select 3 to 4 materia attacks that you want your AI's to use in order (similar to taking control, casting them, then switching back to Cloud). To clarify, I'm Playing as Cloud, fighting Ifrit, I open up Materia menu, I select Blizzard and fill up 3 empty materia queue slots (meaning it will use the spell three times, which also means a cancel button could be implemented), Staying in the Materia menu, I switch (using designated key/button that would allow you to switch in battle) to Barret, select Blizzard 3 times, Stay in Materia menu, switch to Tifa, select 3 Blizzards, Switch once more so I'm back on Cloud (Because the option of exiting on Barret or Tifa would exit you into assuming that character) and exit the Materia menu and wait for all my blizzards to cast, then continue on with the battle. This would also work without casting anything on Cloud, filling up the AI's queue and coming back to cloud to take Aggro while the team hits hard.

/long explanation that hopefully makes more sense  ;D

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #43 on: 2010-09-02 14:01:51 »
Here's what I have wrote down in regards to the combat system, the way that I see it in my head. Mind you it's not entirely complete yet but it does cover some of what you were talking about.

General Battle:

AI Role options for secondary party members, which can be changed via Ally Orders during combat, or set through menu. Basic AI pre-battle would include:
Front Line: Getting up close to them and attacking, to draw the enemy attacks.
Artillery: Attacking with long ranged attacks and drawing back if an enemy closes in.
Support: Primarily uses non-damaging actions to "buff" the party or "de-buff" the enemies and heal damage taken, such as haste, slow, barrier, cure.
Defender: Moves to defend weaker allies, engaging enemies that target them.

During battle the above commands could be changed and the following would be added:
Focus Attacks: Focus offensive actions against targeted enemy.
Retreat: Similar to Artillery, but would fall back in an attempt to flee the battle.
Defend: Toggles a defender role for targeted ally.

Item and Spells can be used by a system of split "quick bars", twelve options on each quick bar (first six slots containing spells, second six slots containing items). These can be switched to the next series of quick bars one side at a time or both sides at a time and the order of each can be changed before battle. Each one spell or item can be set as "active" for easy use, or each item could be used by pressing the corresponding key.

While in battle the PHS system would not be accessible however should the main controlling character be KO'ed, manual control would be switched to one of the remaining, conscious, party members chosen by you.

Targeting controls would be able to cycle through enemy or ally targets, one command would cycle enemy targets while another would cycle ally targets. Spells or items used would take effect on the active target (ally or enemy).

EDIT:
And yes, I was thinking of game pad support, here's what I was thinking for one possible configuration.

Gamepad Battle Control Layout:

The following commands use a Playstation 3 controller layout as an example, this would be the default control layout.

L1: Cast active Magic                         R1: Use active item
L2: Defend                                         R2: Attack/Limit Break
Up: Previous full quick bar                 Triangle: Target next enemy
Left: Next Spell                                  Square: Target next ally
Right: Next Item                                Circle: Ally 1 commands
Down: Next full quick bar                   Cross: Ally 2 commands
Left Analog stick: Movement              RIght Analog stick: Camera
L3: Unused                                         R3: Unused
Select: Both Ally Commands               Start: Pause

Second Edit: Corrected myself on the quick  bar, used for spells, not materia.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-02 14:42:16 by Senti »

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: 2010-09-02 18:53:54 »
I'm really liking your system. I kind of forgot what it was like to have a unique battle setup, as I listed a bunch of games with nice battle styles. Yours really had me thinking while I was reading and I really like it.

Controller setup really doesn't matter to me, about an hour into a game, controls become second nature to me :P

I think the Combat System has been covered pretty thoroughly.

On to the second biggest deal of the game. Moving around. Creating the environment.

A few questions that could shed some light on the idea if answered:

Are you planning on starting the game like it actually started?

Will the world map be an obsolete way to get from town to town? If so, have you considered what to implement instead?

Will all towns/feilds be the same (recreated to look like the original)?

Are you planning on implementing any new areas?

What will moving around be like in The Highwind/ The Tiny Bronco/ Chocobo/ Hovercraft be like? New or old?

Just a few questions to keep things rolling, and that I have had nagging in my mind. If you have an outline or something that you want to throw at me to say "Shut the hell up" I understand  :P

I just have so many questions, and I kind of want to keep the ball rolling, keeping this thread active so it stays fresh   ;)

I also am looking for ways to suggest improvements for/help continue this project  :D

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #45 on: 2010-09-02 19:29:16 »
Working on all of that in my list still, but to answer your questions...
Are you planning on starting the game like it actually started?
Yes, keeping the same story the way it was originally done.
Will the world map be an obsolete way to get from town to town? If so, have you considered what to implement instead?
No, you will still have the world map.
Will all towns/feilds be the same (recreated to look like the original)?
Yes, though due to the fact that the maps are not fully 3D it will require quite a bit of imagination to flesh them out into a fully 3D environment.
Are you planning on implementing any new areas?
Not currently, no.
What will moving around be like in The Highwind/ The Tiny Bronco/ Chocobo/ Hovercraft be like? New or old?
I was thinking of using a "cockpit" style view when moving around in the vehicles, showing you actually moving through the glass and such. In the case of the Chocobo, more or less showing the same as it is now, you riding it. I was also entertaining the idea of riding a Chocobo in battle similar to the way you do in Final Fantasy Tactics, increasing your movement speed.

Like I said, I'm working on compiling a list of all the aspects of the current game and how I'm seeing them in my head. That's the first and easiest step, but with how many different parts of the game there are, this alone takes a while of typing, especially when it comes to attempting to put my thoughts into words to describe them.

battlemage210

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-09-04 16:14:32 »
i can imagine running through the opening bombing run mission in first person view now...

can we get a "demo" of the bombing mission similar to the original ff7demo how it had just the single mission?

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: 2010-09-05 16:52:59 »
battlemage210 brought up a good point.

First person V.S. Third

I think I remember you saying something about doing an over-the-shoulder.
You think it would be possible to kind of pull an Bethesda thing and make it swappable? all controls still the same, just different camera positions?

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #48 on: 2010-09-05 17:01:44 »
Would be possible, of course, though I was thinking of keeping a third person view for a better field of vision, and so you can watch your character. All it would require doing is altering the camera angle during play and removing the majority of your model from view so that it's not being rendered needlessly. Hands/weapon and legs (should you be looking down) would still be rendered as you could still see them, but the rest of the body really wouldn't need to be rendered.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: 2010-09-06 01:49:56 »
I like Third person, but I think First person would just be interesting sometimes.

I also had a thought earlier, how are interactive objects going to be handled?

by interactive, I mean: Chests, pianos, squeaky floorboards lol

You know, all those things in FF7 you just kind of pressed a button at and things happened.

The basic question would be, is it still going to be a "Stand in front and press ____" and it happens or are we looking at a cross-hair targeting system? Also, are you thinking of implementing any animations for interactive objects, such as actually reaching out to the piano when it plays or kneeling to a squeaky floorboard?