Author Topic: Why is Aeris' death so significant?  (Read 54200 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Aeris' death so significant?
« Reply #50 on: 2010-09-16 06:57:09 »
It is very simple, Kefka is better because Sephiroth DOES NOTHING! he has no notable quotables, he gets everything wrong (no you're not an Ancient) and all he really does that pisses you off is kill Aerith. How much more impersonal can you get then hiding in the arctic and summoning a meteor in safety and security? With FF6 they slowly nurtured the player's hatred of Kefka and all of the characters had a reason to fight him. Why does red 13 or Cait Sith care about Sephiroth? Look at vincent. All he says is I don't care about anything and he goes back to his casket until you try and leave and then he has a sudden and unexplained change of heart. FF6 had a WAY better story while FF7s was poorly explained and full of long drawn out portions where nothing happened FF6 had a story that was non-stop and far stronger on character development, for both good guys and bad guys. The idea that FF7 story was more mature is garbage. It was poorly done except for a couple real gems. FF6 story was all gems.

Someone's butt is hurt. And someone doesn't know what makes a good story. I also suspect that someone didn't play FF7 and is piecing together what he knows of the story from arguments he's seen on internet forums.

Also,

>FF6

>character development

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010-09-16 08:39:55 »
Wall of Text

Wall of Text

-.-'
tl;dr

I would post my own wall of text, but it doesn't look like this is going to progress all that much.  It'd be great if the arguments could be condensed a bit and the "Enter" and "Shift" buttons on the keyboard could be used less sparingly. 

Overseer X

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-09-16 11:30:32 »
FF7 is the only Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk Final Fantasy.. infact I did not enjoy any of the other ones. Tried I to XII and yes.. some were decent but FF7 was different.. people who did not even like RPG games like it. My Dad even played it for years. But as for the real topic.. why is Aeris death so significant.. well there are a few reasons.. Cloud's love triangle between Tifa and Aeris is over, you're losing a valuable party member and her death changes Cloud for years. He doesn't really come to peace with it until the end of Advent Children. I would say her death is pretty $#%%ing significant.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-16 22:50:02 by Overseer X »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #53 on: 2010-09-16 17:35:46 »
Wall of Text

Wall of Text

-.-'
tl;dr

I would post my own wall of text, but it doesn't look like this is going to progress all that much.  It'd be great if the arguments could be condensed a bit and the "Enter" and "Shift" buttons on the keyboard could be used less sparingly.

I apologize, i feel so ashamed

Valnus

« Reply #54 on: 2010-09-17 01:11:30 »
Video games, more so than any other form of media, allows a person to feel a connection to the characters in the story. Sephiroth may not be the greatest villain ever created, but he was "real." All his life he was raised a SOLDIER and taught to life his life in a specific was, some could say he was brainwashed, until he finally found out the truth, causing him to finally snap. As for his "2-Dness," as confirmed by the FF7 Ultimania Omega, there is very little actual screen time with the real Sephiroth, he may be controlling Jenova, who took on his form, but Jenova IS a 2-D character, meant to be nothing more than a pure animal that only exists to kill(much like Kefka).

In my opinion, the fact that Kefka was able to kill so many people is not a testament to how great Kefka is, but rather the to the shortcomings of the heroes who couldn't stop him. If Sephiroth were given the same chance, he would not have left the world in a state in which it could recover.

Finally, character deaths do amazing things for a story. It gives the player the same sense of desperation and hopelessness that the character must be feeling; that you are not an invincible team that has no possible way of loosing.  As it has been said to death, the death of a million strangers could never feel the same as the death of a friend. Aeris' death was so significant because she was the first true video game friend to die.

*looks at his wall of text*

ehh, might as well stop here 8-)

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #55 on: 2010-09-17 03:02:36 »
"blah blah blah"

That's what I read.
You know what the pathetic thing is? You posting this on a forum where it's 99% consisted of FF7.
/facepalm

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-09-17 03:04:05 »
"blah blah blah"

That's what I read.
You know what the pathetic thing is? You posting this on a forum where it's 99% consisted of FF7.
/facepalm
Easy there Chuck Norris

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #57 on: 2010-09-17 03:07:31 »
@athleticbear
Sorry if I went a lil far there, but seeing people posting that "FF7 sucks" and this and that, yes, I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but come on, does it have to be on a forum where it's FF7 based?
It's like going to a church and bashing on about religion. *sigh*

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #58 on: 2010-09-17 18:52:18 »
@athleticbear
Sorry if I went a lil far there, but seeing people posting that "FF7 sucks" and this and that, yes, I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but come on, does it have to be on a forum where it's FF7 based?

or going to sqeenix and bashing long haired villians :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-09-17 19:33:09 »
@athleticbear

or going to sqeenix and bashing long haired villians :P

Yesterday I went right into Squeenix's HQ and complained about belts!

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-09-18 01:06:13 »
I live in Asia and I complain about rice :P

Sometimes, I also complain about going off topic.  But not this time 8-)

(Mr. Amazing was off-topic from the beginning.  This topic isn't about Kefka.  This topic isn't about Sephiroth.  It's about the significance of Aerith's death.  Sheesh >:()

Yoshenkz

« Reply #61 on: 2010-09-18 10:46:05 »

Let's see Kefka top that.

As much as I agree with you on everything...
You asked for it; it was bound to happen at some point...

Jus' sayin'.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2010-09-18 11:36:16 »
Meh.  It was just a passing comment.  It should be allowed to pass without someone derailing the thread.  He wasn't literally asking for someone to post in defense of Kefka.  He was showing that he looks down on Kefka, something he's allowed to do.

Yoshenkz

« Reply #63 on: 2010-09-20 18:06:04 »
I don't disagree... but with the way blind fans are, it was to be(or should have been) expected.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-09-20 18:47:18 »
It was expected. Everything went just according to keikaku

(Translator's note: keikaku means plan)