Author Topic: so i finally have a pc to play ff7 on  (Read 3594 times)

simon1987

so i finally have a pc to play ff7 on
« on: 2010-09-02 23:05:08 »
Hi, Im new. Sorry if this topic is a bit crap.

Anyway I bought ff7 for about £10 back in 2000 for the pc, But I had played it to death on psx and wasnt really intrested in playing it again on pc (dont really know why i bought it lol)

Anyway for the next year or so I tried running it twice but could never get a comfortable keyboard controls set up. Does anyone have any better controls they would like to share?

Eventually I swapped to xp, got a new graphics card etc and next time I tried to play it I couldnt get it working.

Now I have a new PC

Main stuff:
P3 700
voodoo 3 3000
256mb ram
Awe64 gold
win98se

Anyway i am toying with the idea of playing it again. Im not too interested in any mods or stuff.  But the game is running in d3d not glide mode... how can i change it? Also was there any official patches I should run?

Also is soundfonts the best way to sort the music out? It loads the 4mb soundfont fine and sounds just as good as the psx version.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: so i finally have a pc to play ff7 on
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-02 23:14:33 »
Just as good my ass. The soundfont Eidos included is crap. You could try this soundfont. It's supposed to be much better than the sound. I don't normally recommend it because most hardware doesn't support soundfonts, but it looks like you have a compatible soundcard. Disregard this. I just had a listen, this "improvement" is shit.

You could also use FF7Music, but if you just want it to sound like the PSX game, and you can use the soundfont, FF7Music is a bit less reliable, so I'd only use it if you want custom music.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-02 23:25:00 by Covarr »

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-02 23:24:32 »
If you want to use familiar controls you can pick up a game pad set up like a Playstation controller, here's one I had and used forever till I got my PS3, now I use my PS3 controller hooked up to my computer through USB. Works pretty good, and you can configure it as you see fit.

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-03 18:25:00 »
If you wanna keep with keyboard try my setting shown in this post:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10533.msg147070#msg147070
If your keyboard is too small or you just prefer cursors leave them instead of mine I/K/J/L and set target/assist at something closer them like delete/pagedown. I find it very usefull as you take most of both hands and in most keyboards it make you keep your hands in optimal/most relaxing position. Through I generally use alike keys in most games without mouse control(where I prefer W/S/A/D for walking) soo if you used only consoles for games before you'll probably need to get used, before anything will come natural for you and probably buying a gamepad of finding a way to connect one from your fav. console will really be better.(Google for "PPJoy" or something alike could probably help doing that.)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-03 20:15:20 »
If you want to use familiar controls you can pick up a game pad set up like a Playstation controller, here's one I had and used forever till I got my PS3, now I use my PS3 controller hooked up to my computer through USB. Works pretty good, and you can configure it as you see fit.

Ew ew ew ew!! Retractable cords are a no-no. They go bad five times faster than fixed cords. I like the tip about the PS3 controller though. I haven't tried that yet but I'll give it a whirl soon. :)

As for layouts, I try to make my keyboard do most of the work since the analog sticks aren't important. What I do is have it layed out kinda like a PSX controller. It's easier if I demonstrate:

Code: [Select]
L2    UP   L1               R1 TRIANGLE  R2
RIGHT DOWN LEFT START SELECT SQUARE X CIRCLE

W E R     U I O
S D F G H J K L

Make sense? That way my fingers are on the home row and the game almost becomes a typing tutor. :)

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-03 20:33:02 »
Eh, the retractable controller was what I got because that's what the Wal-Mart here had for a PC USB controller that wasn't an X-Box controller (Sorry X-Box fans, but I hate those damn things). To use the PS3 controller, you need to get some custom drivers for it, you can get them here, if you're running Vista/7 64bit you'll need to run windows in test mode since the drivers are not digitally signed, there's a tool here to make it easy to do. With the driver, if you have bluetooth on your computer, you can even use it wirelessly, but, it will remain "connected" to the PC, so if you want to use it on the PS3 again you'll have to turn on the PS3 and attach the controller to it via the USB cable to reset the bluetooth.