Author Topic: Model conversion  (Read 5548 times)

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
Model conversion
« on: 2009-07-31 16:02:42 »
I'll start off by saying I'm somewhat new to model making and was wanting to try to export and convert some of the model files from FFVII to work on getting them re-converted into another game system (namely Warcraft III). I was wondering if anyone could point me to some programs to rip and convert the model files to .gmax (right now I'm using GMax 1.1, hoping to get 3DS Max soon).

EDIT: For those wondering, I'm working on a FFVII based map for WC3 and was wanting to import models from FFVII to it for a more authentic feel, and as I'm new to model making I can't quite make my own models yet.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-31 17:14:43 by Senti »

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
Re: Model conversion
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-31 18:01:28 »
I'll start off by saying I'm somewhat new to model making and was wanting to try to export and convert some of the model files from FFVII to work on getting them re-converted into another game system (namely Warcraft III). I was wondering if anyone could point me to some programs to rip and convert the model files to .gmax (right now I'm using GMax 1.1, hoping to get 3DS Max soon).

EDIT: For those wondering, I'm working on a FFVII based map for WC3 and was wanting to import models from FFVII to it for a more authentic feel, and as I'm new to model making I can't quite make my own models yet.

Ripping content from a game and putting it in another is illegal; especially if you release it.

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-31 18:21:31 »
Which would go for ripping content from FFVII:CC, FFVII:AC, and KH and putting it in FFVII, regardless of the owner of each of those titles being the same. And using using 3D models isn't considered to be illegal so long as that content is given credit to the original owners as it is only a visual content. If it were to be considered piracy like many are claiming then even posting screenshots of it would be piracy, since you are taking the visualization from one thing and putting it into another. The piracy issues they speak of when talking about reverse engineering would be the game engine itself (which so many on these forums and many others that are anti-piracy are getting very close to doing with all their mods). What I'm attempting to do is take visualizations from this game and transferring it to another game engine. Now if I was trying to take the game engine and make an entirely different game with it, then it would be illegal.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-31 19:00:56 »
I know putting CC/AC/KH stuff in FF7 is illegal, I never endorsed it. It's not even allowed on this forum, even though many users do it by themselves.

The thing is, even if you'd credit them you'll still be using their copyrighted assets for a different project, which is a no-no.

Here's a prime example although it's from the CS community and from 2004, but one of the forum admins emailed Valve Software asking if people could use Counter-Strike: Condition Zero assets in their Counter-Strike 1.6.

http://www.cdg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13587

I'm sure most developers and publishers would have pretty much the same opinion, so it's kind of illegal until you recieve explicit permission to use their stuff in a noncommercial projects.

Lionfist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-31 19:06:38 »
You can still help him tho, as for this is information exchange.
If he exports it or not, is his problem.

(Millenia is warning you tho.
but as far as i know about WC3 Maps,
no map with copyright material has been sued yet etc.)

Senti

• View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-01 06:18:57 »
I'm not concerned about the legalities of it, besides, I planned on contacting all the proper channels to get permission to do it, but first I wanted to figure out how to do it before I went any farther. I'm not new to map making in WC3, or the legalities of using copyrighted materials in said maps, but when it comes to designing custom models and importing them into WC3, that's where I'm inexperienced and was seeking help. Anyways, I figured out how to get it into GMax, assembled the pieces, exported to text, created a .mdl, converted to .mdx, imported into a test map, created a unit with the model and only saw the unit's shadows (I expect this to be from no animations or textures in the file when exported), but at least I now know how to get it out. If anyone would be interested in helping me out with this project of mine, feel free to PM me. Would be nice to have someone more experienced to help me figure this out, always easier then doing it the old "trial and error" way.