Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 180961 times)

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #125 on: 2010-01-31 03:41:57 »
But, that extra box adds so much charm to the room.... whatever.
Forgot to remove that box as that was what I made all the others from.
Added the chain link fence, and already rendered out layer masks for the fence & foreground crate.
Rendering a test image out at full-res for testing in-game. Going to take a while. -,-

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2010-01-31 04:30:54 »
Xeno, you are god! what program do you use? Maybe my college has it, if rendering can be done on any PC i have a quad core. so if i can get that software i'd love to help :-D

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #127 on: 2010-01-31 16:12:35 »
... :-o

Two Questions, Xenobond.

1. The boxes - is that a bump map, a texture, or have you actually modelled all the detail into those boxes?

2. How long did it take you to model an ENTIRE chain link fence!? And how did you do it!? Did you just copy and paste one link over and over and then vertex weld at the end?

But very well done, man. I feel pretty damn small now - my work's nothing compared to this.

Also, Hellbringer, The program looks like it's 3Ds max from the render window, but i'm not sure how much maya looks like max, so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, I've been really busy recently, but I've managed to get the windows done on the Junon buildings. I'm not gonna bother with a picture because frankly it doesn't really count as an update, and the pace I'm working at is laughable to say the least, compared with Xenobond's work.

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2010-01-31 17:02:46 »
could someone please write me a short tutorial explaining the process of extracting a field background with what program to use, how to convert them into a compatable format for 3ds max and then how to implement them back into the game. i have the spare time to lend a hand in this (college isn't very demanding) and i would definately like to take a shot at it.

great work so far everyone

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2010-01-31 17:09:25 »
Firstly, you'll need Aali's Palmer to extract the field backgrounds
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8450.0

Save the background as .png
From here, you can either use google sketchup to make the 2d picture 3d with the photomatch tool
or, recreate the entire scene in max like xenobond(this would be better methinks)

you bros should try to contact this bro right here
http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58
he is a bro, dont get me wrong, but it seems as though he has already completed alot of the midgar-cityscape areas
« Last Edit: 2010-01-31 18:12:00 by knifethesky77 »

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #130 on: 2010-01-31 20:23:15 »
Save the background as .png
From here, you can either use google sketchup to make the 2d picture 3d with the photomatch tool
or, recreate the entire scene in max like xenobond(this would be better methinks)

To recreate the entire scene in max, you need to have already photomatch'd the images in sketchup to provide reference models and most importantly, a camera, so it's not an either/or thing - we're doing both, unless Xenobond is some sort of dark magician who can guess at camera angles, which to be honest he probably is :-P.

And I'm currently sending an email to that guy - perhaps he'll be willing to help, perhaps not.

EDIT: email sent! Let's hope we at least get a reply *crosses fingers*
« Last Edit: 2010-01-31 20:53:18 by NeoCloudstrife »

makina323

« Reply #131 on: 2010-01-31 21:59:50 »
Amazing work xeno also i just realized that you hail from polycount :D

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #132 on: 2010-01-31 22:59:41 »
A possible easy way to help with getting a camera in your scene to work from would be this-
1) Replace Cloud with a perfect cube
2) Take screenshot
3) Create cube in 3ds Max
4) Camera match the cube to the scene and you should have a good start on the camera.

In theory, at least. I used sketchup to provide me with the base shape of that room and the cage. Then brought it into max and did camera match.

Crates- just a bump map(normal map) on them, atm.
Chainlink- made a spline into a zig, rounded the edges and bent them so they'd overlap properly, then replicated them like mad. Then set the spline to be renderable with thickness and facecount settings.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2010-02-01 01:34:40 »
Just out of curiosity what are your computer specs and how long will that scene take to render?

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #134 on: 2010-02-01 03:38:12 »
Core2 Duo @ 3.16 GHz
8GB Ram
Win7 64-bit
Though running under XP as Max 8 doesn't like to be installed on Win7. Will probably install Max2010 on there instead for rendering to take advantage of extra ram (although not as necessary for renders as it is more cpu intensive)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2010-02-01 11:22:51 »
I can use the 30-day Max trial and aid in rendering if you'd like. i have a phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.8ghz and climbing
EDIT: oh, i also have win7 x64.i'm sure the 64 bit will help with rendering as well
« Last Edit: 2010-02-01 11:24:33 by hellbringer616 »

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #136 on: 2010-02-01 18:12:03 »
Got a Reply from that guy, turns out he's too busy with other stuff to help out, and he doesn't have the time to help. It's a shame, really.

Hiya,

Well, first I commend you and your team for undergoing a massive project and the quality of the models being working on, quite impressive stuff there.

But to be blunt, I'll have to politely decline your offer. I simply don't have the time to join such a project as most of my free time right now is being taken up by cosplay (I'm attempting Judge Gabranth this year so I'm gonna have my hands full).

So yeah, sorry I can't help but best of luck with your project, hope it all goes well!

-NoenGaruth

Anyway, I've got the junon buildings looking Very nice now. Just a little more work, and I'll show you all a screenshot.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2010-02-01 18:13:19 »
Have done some experiments last night and today and  palmer doesnt like 4x the res. So we need to keep it below that for now, Xeno is it going to be difficult to have different resolutions or is it just a matter of rerendering the scene for each different resolution?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2010-02-01 18:16:39 »
Oh good ol' noen, he hasn't worked on his midgar model in ages, leastways not in any heavy loads, but as he says, were without him on this one unfortunately, pity, he makes great environment models.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2010-02-02 07:15:12 »
Have done some experiments last night and today and  palmer doesnt like 4x the res. So we need to keep it below that for now, Xeno is it going to be difficult to have different resolutions or is it just a matter of rerendering the scene for each different resolution?

Can you provide the images you used to trigger this problem? I assume it is the same crash you were talking about earlier.

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2010-02-02 08:25:50 »
Isn't it possible to edit the waklmeshes within a scene?

Is it simply not possible or has no one figured out how to yet?

honestly, as long as the walkmeshes line up, you can probably get away with a lot.

Of course, when I see these attempts to make backgrounds, I always hear in the back of my mind....

"Oh do the Forgotten city next! Hurr hurr hurr... :P"

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2010-02-02 14:15:53 »
I just had an idea.  I was watching an episode of numbers and they briefly talked about the predictive algorithm used in the police image enhancements on still frames of security cameras.
I was wondering if anyone knows of similar software and if they've tried it on these backgrounds.  That seems the most feasible and realistic way to get this done: just to re render them.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2010-02-02 14:24:55 »
Fractals works quite nicely.  But IIRC, Palmer has trouble accepting them for some reason

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #143 on: 2010-02-02 14:39:34 »
I just had an idea.  I was watching an episode of numbers and they briefly talked about the predictive algorithm used in the police image enhancements on still frames of security cameras.
I was wondering if anyone knows of similar software and if they've tried it on these backgrounds.  That seems the most feasible and realistic way to get this done: just to re render them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

Never believe what you watch on TV.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2010-02-02 15:12:27 »
A background that i resized to 1280x1600. Just a basic resize for testing purposes. Crashes palmer at this size.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UVTZP3B

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2010-02-02 18:35:42 »
Okay, 0.3b crashes or behaves badly on anything larger than original size. I have fixed this on my end and I will make a 0.4b release soon.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2010-02-02 18:37:14 »
Okay, 0.3b crashes or behaves badly on anything larger than original size. I have fixed this on my end and I will make a 0.4b release soon.

Excellent news. Thanks Aali!

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2010-02-03 01:05:28 »
Aali you are my hero :-D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2010-02-03 01:20:59 »
Aali you are my hero :-D

He should be everyones hero. Without all his hard work the avalanche mod would not exist along with many others. Thank you from all the members of Team Avalanche Aali  :-D

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2010-02-15 02:47:29 »
Well i figured i should get the ball rolling a bit since things are a bit slow. I am trying to redo a scene right now, here is a bit of what i have done. Check it out. Status updates from everyone else would be nice