Author Topic: What does the Media - Movie mod do?  (Read 6484 times)

What does the Media - Movie mod do?
« on: 2017-02-01 03:00:23 »
Hey all, I just started playing with the 7th heaven mod pack. I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mXInCIoc4 and I thought the opening movie sequence looked really good. Is that not what the mod does or did I somehow install wrong? Thanks in advance for clarification.

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
Re: What does the Media - Movie mod do?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-03 19:05:58 »
I had the same problem until I realized that you have to actually export the scenes and put them in the /movies folder in your game's directory for them to work. Open 7th Heaven and go to Workshop --> Pack/Unpack .iro archives

From there, you can select the movie mod and unpack it. A bunch of video files will get unpacked, so you can copy and paste them in the movies folder. Just be sure to backup the original ones, in case something bad happens. I personally deactivated the mod itself afterwards. Not sure if that's a requirement, though.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-03 22:16:48 »
I had the same problem until I realized that you have to actually export the scenes and put them in the /movies folder in your game's directory for them to work. Open 7th Heaven and go to Workshop --> Pack/Unpack .iro archives.

What? No, that's not how this works. 7H is a memory injector. Have you ever played Skyrim mods, or any other game mods, from the Nexus using the NMM? It's the same concept. The files inside of the .iro are pulled out and temporarily injected into memory during gameplay. This leaves the game folder completely unmodified no matter which mods you download or options you change.

The Pack/Unpack tool is for modders who are creating and transferring their mods to the .iro format for compatibility with 7H.

The reason your movies don't work is because you didn't set the correct path during either A) The Game Converter when it asks you to set your movie path OR B) Workshop -> Settings -> Movie Path is not pointing to the movie path that was set during the Game Converter. Movies have a registry edit, so you MUST set these paths correctly or else the game can't communicate with your computer on how to use them.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #3 on: 2017-02-03 22:56:32 »
Hey all, I just started playing with the 7th heaven mod pack. I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mXInCIoc4 and I thought the opening movie sequence looked really good. Is that not what the mod does or did I somehow install wrong? Thanks in advance for clarification.

That video and all other custom videos with AC and CC footage are not currently supported in the Media - Movie iro. Until an update is made to add those videos in you can find that opening video on this thread http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12839.0.

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-02-04 13:29:39 »
What? No, that's not how this works. 7H is a memory injector. Have you ever played Skyrim mods, or any other game mods, from the Nexus using the NMM? It's the same concept. The files inside of the .iro are pulled out and temporarily injected into memory during gameplay. This leaves the game folder completely unmodified no matter which mods you download or options you change.

The Pack/Unpack tool is for modders who are creating and transferring their mods to the .iro format for compatibility with 7H.

The reason your movies don't work is because you didn't set the correct path during either A) The Game Converter when it asks you to set your movie path OR B) Workshop -> Settings -> Movie Path is not pointing to the movie path that was set during the Game Converter. Movies have a registry edit, so you MUST set these paths correctly or else the game can't communicate with your computer on how to use them.

Really? Well, my path was the /movies path and the cutscenes weren't working until I did this. That's strange. Should I change anything? I mean, I haven't had any problems when I did this.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-02-04 14:07:32 »
You don't technically need to change anything, but that's not the method for using 7H. That's just doing old school days where you downloaded the mod files directly and manually placed them into the appropriate folders. You should have posted a New Topic about this, and I would have asked you to post your FF7_GC.log to check your movies path. You should do that now anyways, that way we can provide a public solution for others to check for themselves.

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-02-07 05:46:15 »
Well, my movies path is in \data\movies (the .log file you told me to look at, says so). Now, the advantage of me doing that unpacking was that I could choose individual videos and replace them with ones I liked more, found here in the forums, for various scenes (such as the intro). How would one be able to do that without unpacking? Of course I am not saying I did it right. Yes that was very old school. I know this because I've modded Skyrim to death and mod managers simply keep things nice and clean. But I was just wondering if you could pick and replace only certain cutscenes by doing it via 7th Heaven.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-02-07 07:45:18 »
I can do that in a future update. Instead of choosing movie packs in the drop-down menu, I can list each cutscene and give them their own drop-down. That would take a tremendous amount of work though because I would need to also collect and sort individual movie files. You are one person that has showed an interest in this, so is it worth all that effort for one? I don't know...:|

My point from above was that I don't want users to publicly post these "work arounds" as ways to fix others' issues. It causes confusion. It's better to state what you did in the Mod Requests thread and then request having each cutscene as an option. Gathering examples from various posts for me to easily download would help the process some.

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2017-02-07 10:36:04 »
Oh yeah. I mistakenly thought that you actually had to unpack just this mod. My bad. I know it's too much work (and it took me quite a bit of time to figure out which cutscenes are which), so it's alright if you don't wanna do it, it's all good. After all, I went all "old school" and managed to figure it out on my own, so since I'm the only person that showed interest in this, there's no real reason for you to do it now and spend all that time on it. I will make a post in the mod requests, though, for what I'd like to see in the catalog, in general.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-02-07 11:24:19 »
I will be more than happy to read it and hopefully include it in the Catalog 3.0 update that's coming soon ;)

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-02-07 22:52:05 »
Alright, posted. :)