Author Topic: At it again...  (Read 25506 times)

Mako

• View Profile
Re: At it again...
« Reply #25 on: 2016-02-24 17:33:42 »
You could take the intro movie and splice it into .png using vDub. In theory you could and tens of thousands of images in just a few movies. Some with exact color profiles as the fields.

I know it's rather the opposite of what I just said but the AAcolor shader looks fantastic in conjunction with the Anime setting.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-24 17:59:57 by Mako »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2016-02-24 18:44:39 »
You could take the intro movie and splice it into .png using vDub. In theory you could and tens of thousands of images in just a few movies. Some with exact color profiles as the fields.

I know it's rather the opposite of what I just said but the AAcolor shader looks fantastic in conjunction with the Anime setting.

I have definitely thought of this.  We would just need a fairly high resolution video copy, similar to the raw video with as little noise or compression artifacts as possible.  In order to train an effective model noise free images are crucial.  Actually I have been looking for some videos along those lines haven't found anything yet but if anyone has any suggestions I'll give it a shot.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2016-02-24 19:18:44 »
Could use the PS3 tech demo I believe that was released in 1080p not sure but definitely HD.

Or even the CC psp ending scene.

*Spoilers*
Its the intro to FFVII.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-24 19:20:47 by Mako »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2016-02-24 20:09:06 »
Could use the PS3 tech demo I believe that was released in 1080p not sure but definitely HD.
I have spent the past few years searching on and off, and was unable to find the PS3 tech demo in better than 480p 4:3 with letterboxing. Certainly nothing HD. The best I found was a 60fps version buried in an obscure corner of the internet. I can believe that it was produced in HD, but I'm certain it was never actually released in HD.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2016-02-24 22:53:56 »
Well IGN posted a 720p version floating around. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCYy8C5Av4

mentioned before that the Crisis Core ending is the tech demo with a small addition. There are a number of fan converts that should be more than suitable to build a trainer... other then those I doubt very much your going to get anywhere close to actual rendered HD using original backrounds without artifacts I believe... This one is artifact free and should build an pretty accurate trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptdGF-ccIsE

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2016-02-24 23:11:56 »
IGN's version is also rife with upscaling and interlacing artifacts. There's a distinct lack of sharp edges anywhere, and mostly-horizontal slopes have obvious combing issues. I would guess by looking at it that this was a 480i video to begin with, and whoever uploaded it to youtube upscaled it (badly) first. Much better results could be achieved from the 60fps version I linked, with proper deinterlacing and a better scaling algorithm. In fact, I might even look into doing that myself; it could be a fun waste of time if I can find the time to do it.

Jahiliyyah

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2016-02-24 23:34:54 »
I have spent the past few years searching on and off, and was unable to find the PS3 tech demo in better than 480p 4:3 with letterboxing. Certainly nothing HD. The best I found was a 60fps version buried in an obscure corner of the internet. I can believe that it was produced in HD, but I'm certain it was never actually released in HD.
I think it was first shown at e3 2005 during the Sony presentation where the PS3s hardware specs were finalized. I can't find anything better either. Really anything on youtube isn't in its original encoding to begin with.

Maybe just concept art: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII/Concept_Art

I also found the raw Crisis Core cutscenes. The game was originally for the PSP (480 × 272 screen): http://www.silenttweak.net/index.php?file=cc/ccvideos

It seems like the only actual HD content for FFVII was Advent Children which has an official Blu-ray release with extended/updated scenes.

So at best you have 100 minutes of official HD video ([email protected] H264/AVC x264 [10872 kbit/s] was the best encoding I can find), some concept art, and various cutscenes at DVD quality or less from every other source: Original FMVs (320×224@15Hz), Toshiba DVD (640×448@15Hz & 717×456@15Hz), Crisis Core FMVs (480×[email protected]); FFVII Technical Demo (640x480@60Hz)

That's 143,856 HD frames, 23,877 DVD frames that need to be color corrected, 6,180 DVD frames from the Technical Demo, and I'm too lazy to figure out the math on the FMVs which are all antsized.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-25 00:57:29 by Jahiliyyah »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2016-02-25 00:21:15 »
unfortunately AC is a departure stylistically from the original.  Although I only need something that is basically devoid of characters and only contains the scenery of FF7.  I'm sure some shots from AC would work, I actually have the bluray from years ago lying around somewhere.  Funny thing is I don't have any sort of optical drive bay on my computer lol.

Jahiliyyah

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2016-02-25 00:48:40 »
Funny thing is I don't have any sort of optical drive bay on my computer lol.

Right?

Unfortunately AC is a departure stylistically from the original.

It's really hard to place the steam/cyberpunk aesthetic from any other game also. How do you feel about using assets from later Final Fantasy titles?

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2016-02-25 03:24:03 »
unfortunately AC is a departure stylistically from the original.  Although I only need something that is basically devoid of characters and only contains the scenery of FF7.  I'm sure some shots from AC would work, I actually have the bluray from years ago lying around somewhere.  Funny thing is I don't have any sort of optical drive bay on my computer lol.

AC and CC you would only need one of the throwback scenes like cloud at the train station even just a few seconds of video is thousands of images. :)

Altezein

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2016-03-23 20:38:37 »
Awesome!! I've been testing the sample fields you provided for the bombing mission. Would absolutely play the game again with these if the project is completed :)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2016-03-23 23:24:44 »
AC and CC you would only need one of the throwback scenes like cloud at the train station even just a few seconds of video is thousands of images. :)
but finding raw videos in a high resolution is the problem compressed videos have too many artifacts to be useful

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2016-10-11 06:44:56 »
yarLson,

thanks to DLPB's suggestion, I have discovered this thread of yours and I am wondering whether you are going to go through with a complete upscaling?

In my opinion, it is surely worth the effort. I can but agree with DLPB about this being so far the best result!

Bonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2016-10-13 08:42:51 »
I think this is an amazing idea.

I was actually thinking of doing something similar myself. But one step further.

Using the Waifu2x upscale as a basis, and then going over each image by hand (In Photoshop or another program with a tablet) to refine it to try and create the higher res backgrounds this game deserves.

Square Enix couldn't be bothered with the PS4 port (Which I could've been happy with, if they did. Instead of being stuck with the same old blurry shit with a bilinear upscale and the same translation) and they clearly don't care about those of us who wanted FFVII:R to be the same game.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2016-10-13 11:12:02 »
Well, Bonkers, if you really want to give it a try, I will love to see the result!