Author Topic: [FF7PC] Battle shadows replacer mod  (Read 13488 times)

Pashtarot

• View Profile
[FF7PC] Battle shadows replacer mod
« on: 2021-01-17 00:13:35 »
Hello,

I am new on this forum so I'll introduce myself.
As a kid I discovered Final Fantasy 7 and I became a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. This game built my passion for video games and made me want to work in this industry. I am currently in my last year at a VG school and hopefully I will finally start my career !

I have recently worked on shaders allowing to change the look of shadows during battles which have always been a bad element of the PC version in my opinion. I have tried to reproduce the original appearance they have on PlayStation but I know that not everyone would prefer it so I made 3 presets in order to fit the tastes of more people.

Hard Shadows (PSX)

Medium Shadows

Soft Shadows

And for those who would like to see how the original PC version of the shadows look like :

Follow the link below to download the mod. Also, it should be integrated in an upcoming version of Satsuki Yatoshi's pack as well.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b31xdX4kwSr3nZdZCafPKV4P9SusSpev/view?usp=sharing

To install the shaders, select the ones corresponding to your game version (PC/Steam, Aali, FFNx) and to the preset you like (hard, medium, soft) then copy them into the "shaders" folder located in the game installation directory.

If you have any trouble with the mod please let me know.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: [FF7PC] Battle shadows replacer mod
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-17 05:09:43 »
What a welcome addition! Welcome to qhimm! I wanted to remake the shadows once but ended up botching them up real bad. :D These look nice. Mine are no longer circles so I’d gladly use one of these.

Loki_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-01-17 11:45:53 »
Great addiction and imho really needed, default shadows on pc looks bad, these new ones looks awsome, thx ;)

would be possible to rework yellow cursor on chars head during battle too? Make it smaller maybe.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #3 on: 2021-01-17 16:11:22 »
well f#$&ing done!

lots of people have been waiting for this forever, the shadows stink so bad i just have them off

edit: would it be OK if the next version of The Reunion includes your mod? full credit will be given to you, of course (if you want a different name credited thats no problem)

let me know!
« Last Edit: 2021-01-17 17:10:42 by -Ori »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-01-19 05:15:36 »
Finally, the fix a waited for a long long time. Will this only effect shadows or also other SFX which have the same behavior? As example: Aerith last limit isn't correctly displayed.

Another question from my side we have these filthy light shader problem in the field when they are upscaled. True Odin had a solution for it, but this solution literally explode the size of any upscale mod and some fields have a heavy performance issue. Aali (the original creator of this custom driver) said that it needs a shader based solution. Would be cool if you could look into it.

EDIT

Problem under DX11 when the cursor has multiple targets.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-19 17:29:13 by Kaldarasha »

Pashtarot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2021-01-21 21:27:37 »
EDIT

Problem under DX11 when the cursor has multiple targets.

Which shaders are you using? Steam, Aali or FFNx?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-01-21 23:16:51 »
FFNx, but it must be a problem of the DX11 driver of it, because I have seen issues with Barret's flash effect on the ground, when he shoots, before I installed your mod. Which, by the way, is the best thing after Aali released his driver 8.1. Really, it is even before Iros made 7H, TrueOdin started with FFNx or QuantumPencil started SisterRay.

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #7 on: 2021-01-25 03:16:20 »
i'm using the aali version with syw4, i noticed on snow or beach backgrounds the shadows get real fuzzy looking, happens with soft, medium, and hard shadows

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749506432130351114/803111595496177714/2021-01-24_21-42-15.mkv

(sorry for short video, you can see it long enough to see what i'm talking about though)

EDIT:  discovered that this issue is most likely from an improper installation of the mod, and not an issue with the mod itself

EDIT2: the aali version doesnt work because it uses opengl and .hlsl files need to be .glsl ?
« Last Edit: 2021-01-28 19:18:40 by -Ori »

Alamei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2021-02-20 16:53:06 »
Can these shaders be done up as an IRO, or are shaders not manipulable in that context? It would be nice to not have to manually replace the shader files each time a new FFNx canary version is released.

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #9 on: 2021-02-23 06:49:27 »
This is unbelievable, well done mate! That's nice to read and I wish you all the best for your career!

[OT]I tried to send you a PM but didn't work maybe are not enabled. So I will ask here:

-Pashtarot are you able to have a look into this issue? http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20540.msg283758#msg283758

EDIT: As of now Cosmos create a mod for it, Cosmos Lighting
« Last Edit: 2021-04-22 00:07:24 by Kuraudo. »

Pashtarot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2021-03-14 21:11:43 »
This is unbelievable, well done mate! That's nice to read and I wish you all the best for your career!

[OT]I tried to send you a PM but didn't work maybe are not enabled. So I will ask here:

-Pashtarot are you able to have a look into this issue? http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20540.msg283758#msg283758

I have started to look at how lighting could be reworked. Unfortunately I have very little time at the moment but I will get back to it sooner or later ;)

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2021-03-15 08:02:35 »
Welcome back, pashtarot!

Could you please confirm the issue mentioned by -Ori above when using Aali's version of your modification?

Thanks!

Pashtarot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2021-03-15 21:10:38 »
i'm using the aali version with syw4, i noticed on snow or beach backgrounds the shadows get real fuzzy looking, happens with soft, medium, and hard shadows

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749506432130351114/803111595496177714/2021-01-24_21-42-15.mkv

(sorry for short video, you can see it long enough to see what i'm talking about though)

EDIT:  discovered that this issue is most likely from an improper installation of the mod, and not an issue with the mod itself

EDIT2: the aali version doesnt work because it uses opengl and .hlsl files need to be .glsl ?

The shaders used for Aali version are main.frag and main.vert. Make sure you don't have other shaders which could interfere with the shadow ones (an example is the CRT filter shader which creates lines in the shadows). I have tested using them with SYW4 and I had no problem.

Also you can use the mod for The Reunion of course ;)

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #13 on: 2021-03-16 21:24:06 »
I have started to look at how lighting could be reworked. Unfortunately I have very little time at the moment but I will get back to it sooner or later ;)
OMG! Pashtarot that's such a good news, I'm very excited and look forward to it. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: As of now Cosmos create a mod for it, Cosmos Lighting
« Last Edit: 2021-04-22 00:07:05 by Kuraudo. »

cloudiar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2021-03-16 22:12:16 »
Hello!

You have started well with the forum, this is great !!

I do not know if you know my project but since 2012 I have been preparing my own vision of "remake" under the original engine, and I would be happy to add your shadows as optional material (it could be activated "in game")

I just wanted to put an option to eliminate shadows, but yours is even better, obviously if you give me authorization you will be included in the credits as it is due.

Good luck with your studies, I hope everything goes well!  :)

Pashtarot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2021-03-20 14:42:17 »
Hello!

You have started well with the forum, this is great !!

I do not know if you know my project but since 2012 I have been preparing my own vision of "remake" under the original engine, and I would be happy to add your shadows as optional material (it could be activated "in game")

I just wanted to put an option to eliminate shadows, but yours is even better, obviously if you give me authorization you will be included in the credits as it is due.

Good luck with your studies, I hope everything goes well!  :)

Of course ! Feel free to use them for your project :)

Mitcheddar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2021-07-10 04:25:01 »
Hello, new user here.

This mod looks awesome, but I can't seem to get it working with Reunion. I've tried putting the Aali shader files in the Program_Files folder and the HLSL files in the main shaders folder for the Steam app but it's just producing a completely black shadow with no gradient. Here's an image showing an example:

« Last Edit: 2021-07-12 20:55:12 by Mitcheddar »

orichalcon

• View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #17 on: 2021-07-13 02:07:40 »
Hello, new user here.

This mod looks awesome, but I can't seem to get it working with Reunion. I've tried putting the Aali shader files in the Program_Files folder and the HLSL files in the main shaders folder for the Steam app but it's just producing a completely black shadow with no gradient.

you have to replace the main.frag and main.vert in program files - it should work then

the only catch is main.frag is broken with reunion and we cant figure out why exactly, perhaps it is broken with all of opengl; it looks like my video above even with original aali driver
« Last Edit: 2021-07-13 05:05:03 by -Ori »

Mitcheddar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2021-07-13 02:53:57 »
Yeah, That's what I did.

That sucks. Guess I'll have to stick with the normal shadows until that's figured out.

Thanks for the help! Keep up the great work!

LauraMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2022-02-04 17:42:41 »
Deleted message by the author.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-15 21:25:48 by LauraMerchant »

LauraMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2022-02-16 23:19:16 »
I like that you identify the same problem on the PC. When I was playing play station, it was annoying me. Now I have Final Fantasy 7, which I think is ideal. Well, for starters like you, Final Fantasy 7 Remake is one of the best games of 2020. By the way, this masterpiece from the website remember me this game because it also has a fantasy topic... It's a game well worth playing. I am a PC purist, and I will want to know and discover, of course, exactly how good the PC version of the game is. Afterward, I gather all this knowledge in my free book summary.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-17 17:37:14 by LauraMerchant »

daedrixx2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2022-03-04 00:30:30 »
Hi Pashtarot, when I try any of the shadows options (soft, medium or dark, FFNx version), the game becomes ultra dark, like if the brightness had been turned all the way down. I'm using FFNx 1.10.1.62 and SYW v5.

ibbanez

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2022-03-18 19:10:15 »
I too tried this, and when I did, everything was super dark, and the colors seemed way over saturated.  For the install, I simply made a copy of the shaders folder as a backup, then moved all the shaders from FFNx Version (SYW5) -> hard_shadow (PSX) into the shaders folder and over wrote everything when asked.  Not really sure what happened, but just thought I'd report it here.

FYolen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2022-06-05 20:50:57 »
Echoing the issue the above two posters are having. I don't recall this being a problem when the mod was first released (but I could be wrong), so maybe something's not playing nice with the newest versions of FFNx?

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2022-06-06 09:28:10 »
This mod has basically been replaced by the built-in FFNx dynamic lighting.