Author Topic: FF8 refusing to work  (Read 3657 times)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
FF8 refusing to work
« on: 2004-01-20 06:16:34 »
Hiya...

A friend of mine has been trying to play ff8, but whenever he'd start up, it'd tell him to "Insert disc 1", but it was already in there, or he'd put it in and nothing would happen.  It would just hang.

Now hes an even bigger comp geek than I am, and we're both stumped.  He's got Dx9 and has all his codecs and drivers updated...

Here's his specs:

/ MSI KT4V / AMD XP [email protected] / 512DDR pc2700 & pc2100 / Tyan Tachyon G9000 Pro 64mb ( ATI Radeon 9000) / AC97 /  40 & 60GB HDD's / 52x cd-rw/DVD /

So... what's preventing him from playing?

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Hmmm...
« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-20 09:50:49 »
Hi!

Is he using the same drive to play the game as he installed the game from?  :-?

I can't currently see why it isn't working... but if all else fails can't you try re-installing the game?  :wink:

xeriouxi.

J*** H*******

FF8 refusing to work
« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-20 10:07:11 »
The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF8 refusing to work
« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-20 12:25:37 »
if your unsure which drive he installed from check the squaresoft registry key under software

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
FF8 refusing to work
« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-20 20:42:40 »
EmperorSteele I had that same exact problem on my P III 550 .. It wouldnt matter how much i screwed with anything i coudl pop the disc out put it back in tried all the other game discs.. It just wouldnt leave that damn screen.. Crazy thing is that i dont remember how i fixed it.. I might have given up because i am rather busy, and i am pretty sure i posted about this in a thread ages ago, but i would have no clue where it is or if that thread is even present on this board anymore.. Aaron might have some idea.. I would swear that i got it to work somehow, maybe i just reinstalled it.. GOD i wish i could remember because someone else had this issue too.. It has come up a few times, and i cant think of the problem.. If i remember something i will get back to you on this, but hopefully someone else will have an idea..

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF8 refusing to work
« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-20 20:47:55 »
Whenever I have seen this problem (I even had it myself once), I fixed it by uninstalling FF8, deleting its registry key (HKLM\Software\Square Soft, Inc\FINAL FANTASY VIII) and then reinstalling it.  I don't know if deleting the registry key is really necessary, but that's what I did... also, remember to install it from the CD drive you plan on playing it from :P

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
FF8 refusing to work
« Reply #6 on: 2004-01-21 01:00:07 »
I had him reinstall it.  when i brought up "Put it int eh drive you installed it in", he gave me a look and was like "...oh, i shoulda thoughta that".  I think it's working now tho, thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
FF8 refusing to work
« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-21 04:52:45 »
Hah.. Maybe it was just that simple.. I couldnt really remember thx Aaron..