Author Topic: Post Your Desktop  (Read 61265 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: Post Your Desktop
« Reply #125 on: 2010-09-30 15:26:01 »
i love me some KDE., if you want awesome cause its tilling you can enable that in kde 4.5 now (but its not as at it as awesome is ,yet). openbox can be used as the window manager, by changing your default window manager to openbox. however there is not much of a point to that, i have found kde 4.5 to be faster then previous kde versions (almost as fast as kde 3.5.x) and very stable.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2010-10-01 00:49:16 »
I'll probably improve on the method a bit in the future, but all is well

Now I just need to get FF7Music working without crashing, and TA works, but the caching fucks everything up, so that's a no go.  w/e, it's still better than no FF VII

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2010-10-01 02:18:08 »
dood u got it running on osx? i was never able to fix it. we be gettin in touch :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2010-10-01 04:48:32 »
That's not OSX. That's Linux with an OSX theme. Note where it says "X11"

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2010-10-01 04:56:48 »
That's not OSX. That's Linux with an OSX theme. Note where it says "X11"

No, that's OS X.  Part of OS X's Developer Tools is an X11 server, see

I won't lie though, that's still my EeePC, I just managed to get OS X running (beautifully) on it.  It's the only OS on here now.

EDIT: well, not the developer tools per se.  It can be installed separately
« Last Edit: 2010-10-01 04:58:58 by Cupcake »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #130 on: 2010-10-01 13:18:52 »
Cupcake ,good work!  Can you make a write up of how you installed that on Os X. and the cache issues are prolly related to the shitty intel video card in those netbooks. IIRC is runs a bit shitty on my netbook too. (intel GMA 915 video).

X11 is required to run wine  on mac os . since almost all *nix/bsd distros have it, wine uses it to draw stuff . however mac Os (a highly moded bsd distro) uses a special X server called Quatz, and its not yet supported by win., since many other *nix programs require X11 to draw, apple kindly includes a copy of X11 on all of its Os install cds, sadly they dont' update it as often as the X11 community so sometimes you have issues when programs require a newer version of X11 then apple has provided.

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2010-10-01 18:17:35 »
Cupcake ,good work!  Can you make a write up of how you installed that on Os X. and the cache issues are prolly related to the sh*tty intel video card in those netbooks. IIRC is runs a bit sh*tty on my netbook too. (intel GMA 915 video).

1) I will make a write up when I get out of work

2) That's the thing, the caching works fine under Windows.  It may also be the version of the driver I'm using, I'm going to play around a bit when I get home before I do the writeup, as well as start from scratch and see if I can improve the method a bit, as it's a bit hacky at the moment

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #132 on: 2010-10-01 18:57:39 »
very good , about the caching im not sure if that does or does not work on my netbook ill have to play some ff7 on it later on. and see what was the matter w/ it

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2010-10-01 23:42:24 »
very good , about the caching im not sure if that does or does not work on my netbook ill have to play some ff7 on it later on. and see what was the matter w/ it

That's part of why I'm going to make a new prefix and start again, I'm not sure if it's the version of the driver I'm using, or if it's my netbook, or if it's WINE, or anything really.  I've got a bit of experimenting to do before I make a write up.  I'll probably have it up by tonight though, if not early tomorrow

EDIT: Oh wonderful, this is going to take some extensive playing that I can't do until either tomorrow night, or Monday, because I can't get it working in a new prefix, so I have to figure out the secret here.  I have a crazy, whacked out idea, that juuuust might work...  Then again, I'm delirious from lack of sleep
« Last Edit: 2010-10-02 09:08:18 by Cupcake »

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2010-10-04 19:28:36 »
[Old pic]
« Last Edit: 2010-11-01 14:33:49 by Cloudef »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #135 on: 2010-10-04 21:04:56 »
Quote from: cloudef
In the end, dint like KDE nor it's applications.. So OpenBox + tint2 = epic win
:(  but hey its your machine... and thats why just about every distro has packages for a few DE's :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2010-10-04 21:34:04 »
Quote from: cloudef
In the end, dint like KDE nor it's applications.. So OpenBox + tint2 = epic win
:(  but hey its your machine... and thats why just about every distro has packages for a few DE's :)
I can't understand not liking KDE. It's gorgeous, it works beautifully. Compare to Gnome, which is pretty ugly (even with a good theme), and uses resources like there's no tomorrow.

I'll give Openbox credit, it's better resource-wise than either Gnome OR KDE, but currently no desktop environment matches the beauty of KDE, IMO.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2010-10-04 22:16:42 »
Yeah this is all matter of taste, I did like one KDE app Kate tho. As for the looks, I dint really like it. I'm more elegant person (Nice and Simple)

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2010-10-06 01:02:35 »

Fuck your clutter, I like my desktop clean.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2010-10-06 01:06:08 »

f*ck your clutter, I like my desktop clean.

Preach my brotha!

Check out my empty desktops i've posted :P

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2010-10-06 02:27:39 »
I feel like I just got told to clean my room... And it actually kind of worked. I just went and organized my desktop. Um, thanks, I guess I needed that!

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2010-10-08 06:56:21 »
Well, after much tinkering, I have a new method for Final Fantasy VII on OS X.  Unfortunately, it isn't the type for a tutorial, it's more in-depth than one would need.  It's just for my own personal fancy, and I can't replicate it working with a new prefix still (hopefully I got it working on Timu's OS X computer, it should, but I can't be sure)

Once again, this is just for my own fancy, to show off with but

Now it appears as a native application in my dock (it isn't (duh), and it took some tinkering with X11, and playing around with swapping prefixes, moving prefixes, and deleting prefixes, but it works)

I'm so happy.  Now if only the problems with Final Fantasy VII with WINE would disappear.

EDIT: Update, figured out a problem I was having with my desktop so I updated the picture, and removed that part of the post.  So happy ^_^

EDIT 2: Well, looks like I'm going to sacrifice my friday night for you people.  A random idea popped into my head about getting it to work, and it looks like it worked, so I'm probably going to do a write-up tomorrow, and then, if you're good boys and girls, I'll even make an installer, AND, tell you how to make your copy of Final Fantasy VII a .app like mine is, instead of a shortcut on your desktop with no shortcut badge to the .exe which is in a hidden folder, like mine was.  If you're REALLY good, I'll make a write up with both (since you need a working prefix first, in order to make the .app... unless *thinks silently*

Fuck it, I have work in a few hours, I need some sleep.  Maybe I'll bring my netbook to work, and hack away at this on my break.  Just know that soon there will be an OS X tutorial (and Timu, that means what I gave you will be obsolete, messy, and bloated, so when it comes around, I suggest backing up your saves and ff7input.cfg and following the tutorial)
« Last Edit: 2010-10-08 08:20:25 by Cupcake »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: 2010-10-11 21:30:05 »
@Hellbringer

i leik KDE
« Last Edit: 2010-10-11 21:36:38 by Bosola »

Cupcake

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2010-10-20 23:29:41 »
I've been playing around again

I find it kind of funny that since I turned my netbook into a mac, I play more games on it than I did when it was a Windoze computer

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2010-11-01 14:36:27 »
Some updates.. (Also uploaded pics to tinypic, instead of using local HTTP server.)

Clean:

Busy:

OB, Tint2 and Conky
« Last Edit: 2010-11-01 21:31:45 by Cloudef »

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2010-11-01 22:15:29 »
my desktop...

Kinda messy, but there is a system in the chaos.  :P

WOW. Thats a trainwreck. I do believe I see not one, not two, BUT THREE browsers. Chrome, Firefox, AND Safari? A bit excessive if I may say?

Ill post my desktop soon, I wanna get an actual picture so you guys can bask in my glorious 4 screen setup =]

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2010-11-01 22:33:00 »

WOW. Thats a trainwreck. I do believe I see not one, not two, BUT THREE browsers. Chrome, Firefox, AND Safari? A bit excessive if I may say?

Ill post my desktop soon, I wanna get an actual picture so you guys can bask in my glorious 4 screen setup =]

And Opera. That makes four.

However, when one looks at his wallpaper, one can't help but get the feeling that gjoerulv is trollin' ;D

Anyway, no time for love...

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2010-11-01 22:37:07 »
Before I post the picture, I recall someone saying you should resize to (insert size here) and I need to know before I post so I dont get in twouble =]

EDIT and update: I resized to what imageshack says is for forums :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The one on left left doesnt count, that is my girls computer.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-01 22:40:37 by endlessdamage »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2010-11-01 22:39:11 »
Before I post the picture, I recall someone saying you should resize to (insert size here) and I need to know before I post so I dont get in twouble =]

Don't worry; you're already in trouble for quoting a picture.

The forum automatically resizes pictures.

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2010-11-01 22:43:10 »
Damn. I try to remember all the rules. I got in trouble for a necro, I knew it was a necro, apologized for it inside the necro post, I just thought people could use a good laugh from the previous post. And I recall someone saying that quoting a picture is okay once, but once it goes past that it is just unnecessary. It may not have been a mod and they may have been wrong though.