Author Topic: Need Insight (Weapon that Revives Target)  (Read 5655 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Need Insight (Weapon that Revives Target)
« on: 2011-03-29 20:29:32 »
I think I know what is going on with this, but I thought I'd see what anyone has to say, and add this information to the forums.

I made a weapon for Aeris - Revivial Rod.  It has a status attack of Death, but it is Restorative.  While testing, I attacked a Dead Party Member with the Revival Rod.  The dead party member was not revived, but their HP was restored.  I guess this is just because there is not a 100% chance of inflicting Death, but the Restore HP effect still worked?  So my Revival Rod restores dead people's HP, but does not always revive them.  Anyone have any ideas for making it revive everytime?  If not then I guess I'll have to rework some things...think that restoring dead people's HP with a chance of Revival is a worthy ability to have?  Would marking 'Ignore Stat Def' help you think?
« Last Edit: 2011-03-29 20:31:04 by xLostWingx »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Need Insight (Weapon that Revives Target)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-30 03:47:07 »
I guess this is just because there is not a 100% chance of inflicting Death, but the Restore HP effect still worked?

Correct. The chances of it inflicting/healing Death (I don't think it can restore a status, just inflict) is the same as using the added effect materia on a weapon. That status effect byte is the byte that gets set/reset when an added effect materia is on the weapon.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-30 05:21:19 »
Alrite thanks.  I think it will be ok as is, early in the game, Aeris's Healing Rod and Revival Rod may seem underpowered, but as she gains access to equipment that increases her Luck and Strength, these weapons will prove to be more useful.  Besides, the way Revival Rod currently functions, its effectively prepares a character to be revived by increasing their CHP before Revival - sorry thinking out loud. 

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-30 08:57:11 »
If she attacks an undead, what happens then?

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-30 15:14:23 »
i would assume it'd deal a tad extra damage, since the way lostwing put it, she doesn't have a 100% Chance of reviving target but it restores some of their health. and if the revive effect kicked in it'd kill the said undead creature.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-30 16:36:08 »
It is set for "Miss if not dead" so it probably will not consider an Undead Enemy as Dead haha, so It would either Miss the Enemy...well it would just miss.  If I deselect "Miss if not dead" then the Revival Rod would deal 1/2 MHP damage to the Undead enemy with a chance of Insta-Killing it - at least how it is currently set up.  While I have done 99% of the work on weapons and such in the kernel, nothing is set in stone.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-30 16:49:41 by xLostWingx »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-30 19:51:35 »
"Miss if not dead" doesn't exactly apply to "undead" enemy types. An enemy is considered "undead" if it "absorbs" the restorative element. Since restorative elementals automatically "damage" a negative amount and "absorb" makes damage "negative":

damage = absorb( restorative damage ) = - ( - damage) = damage

Viola, enemy takes damage from "healing" and dies to full-heal. Death is handled differently though, but I think the concept's the same.

So basically, what I mean is the "miss if not dead" flag only checks if HP = 0. It should probably read "Miss if HP != 0" instead.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-30 20:07:58 »
Probably just a typo from you NFITC1, but since it's not the first time I see it, I just thought I'd give the info : it's "voila", not "viola" (the former means "here it is" or "here you are", while the latter means... ..."raped"  :P ...Fitting because a dead undead would indeed be raped by that weapon, but I don't think this is what you meant  ;D).
« Last Edit: 2011-03-30 20:17:37 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2011-03-30 22:00:25 »
it's "voila", not "viola"

I know that, I just like violas and wish I could play one.  :'( I actually say "viola" IRL on occasion. True story.

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-01 19:28:38 »
"Miss if not dead" doesn't exactly apply to "undead" enemy types. An enemy is considered "undead" if it "absorbs" the restorative element. Since restorative elementals automatically "damage" a negative amount and "absorb" makes damage "negative":

damage = absorb( restorative damage ) = - ( - damage) = damage

Viola, enemy takes damage from "healing" and dies to full-heal. Death is handled differently though, but I think the concept's the same.

So basically, what I mean is the "miss if not dead" flag only checks if HP = 0. It should probably read "Miss if HP != 0" instead.

offtopic but still relevant:

you sir have made my head explode. :)

By the way, any idea why it would heal the party member a bit, instead of missing if it doesn't revive?

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-02 09:19:53 »
By the way, any idea why it would heal the party member a bit, instead of missing if it doesn't revive?

Because of the "miss if not dead" flag.

Aeris

• ~~Princess~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-02 13:20:02 »
Because of the "miss if not dead" flag.

edit:

Never Mind. i'm a tard =_=

i need to read more clearly, i apologize. i Misinterpreted Miss if Not dead in my head -sighs-
« Last Edit: 2011-04-02 13:23:14 by Aeris »