Author Topic: WIP a patch to convert new FF7 to old  (Read 113249 times)

ajmrowland

Re: WIP a patch to convert new FF7 to old
« Reply #100 on: 2012-08-18 23:08:14 »
Okay, I renamed a USB stick to FF7DISC1, but the game's disc check still wants me to insert disc. I suppose I have to change a path somewhere, but I dont know which.

Edit: I looked back and found some advice given to another user to change the path in the registry file, but I cant find that.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-18 23:27:47 by ajmrowland »

moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2012-08-18 23:46:40 »
Type 'Regedit' into the search bar (If in Windows 7 and Vista (?)) and click on HKEY Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node (Not sure if this is different in 32bit) > the folder where FF7 is installed. Then change 'Datadrive' to the letter that your memory stick has.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #102 on: 2012-08-18 23:48:46 »
Okay, I renamed a USB stick to FF7DISC1, but the game's disc check still wants me to insert disc. I suppose I have to change a path somewhere, but I dont know which.

Edit: I looked back and found some advice given to another user to change the path in the registry file, but I cant find that.

The registry file also comes with Kranmer's converter download. Open it with notepad and edit the drive path to equal that of the USB drive. Save it once it's changed, then close it out. Next, double-click open it and hit Yes... voila  :)

moothead

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2012-08-18 23:54:52 »
Or just do that  :mrgreen:.

ajmrowland

« Reply #104 on: 2012-08-19 00:05:13 »
The registry file also comes with Kranmer's converter download. Open it with notepad and edit the drive path to equal that of the USB drive. Save it once it's changed, then close it out. Next, double-click open it and hit Yes... voila  :)
yeah, but the problem is I cant find it. It's clearly not called "Datadrive" in there.

also the folder that I'm specifically using doesnt wanna show up in the Registry.

Edit: actually, the folder showed up, just under Squaresoft instead of "games". the paths there are the ones I'm using.

Now I'm getting a "failed to load shaders" error message when I click "FF7". Checking the properties, it is an application(.exe). I'm using Windows 7.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 00:10:43 by ajmrowland »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #105 on: 2012-08-19 00:56:17 »
Basically what this does is to create the same folder/file architecture, make the .exe like the old one and add the config??

I'm curios as I'm updating my HC patch, to know how to tackle people who use this on the re-release.

In my new patch people will have to choose what version (2012/1997) of the game they are patching. If they patch the new release, scene and kernel are in different folders, but this may not be so with your patch applied. I would want to make my patch to work with yours as well, so I guess what I'm asking is whether you use the old scene/kernel location (battle/scene folders) or the new ones (lang-* folders)? And do you rename the exe?
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 00:59:28 by gjoerulv »

ajmrowland

« Reply #106 on: 2012-08-19 01:05:08 »
Here's my APP log. My Diagnosis: aint good.

INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 3.3.11631 Compatibility Profile Context
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 8192x8192
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 640x480, output resolution 640x480, internal resolution 640x480
INFO: Shader limits: varying 128, vert uniform 16384, frag uniform 16384
ERROR: failed to stat file C:\games\FINAL FANTASY VII/shaders/nolight/main.vert
ERROR: failed to load shaders, reverting to fixed function
WM_CLOSE
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: No shaders, codecs with YUV output will be slow.
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
ERROR: could not open file TF2D.P
ERROR: could not open file TF2D.P
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: could not open file C:\games\FINAL FANTASY VIIff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
ERROR: could not open file C:\games\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music\music.idx
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
ERROR: could not open file C:\games\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\sound\audio.fmt

Even FF7Config is no longer working.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 01:07:29 by ajmrowland »

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #107 on: 2012-08-19 01:29:10 »
Basically what this does is to create the same folder/file architecture, make the .exe like the old one and add the config??

I'm curios as I'm updating my HC patch, to know how to tackle people who use this on the re-release.

In my new patch people will have to choose what version (2012/1997) of the game they are patching. If they patch the new release, scene and kernel are in different folders, but this may not be so with your patch applied. I would want to make my patch to work with yours as well, so I guess what I'm asking is whether you use the old scene/kernel location (battle/scene folders) or the new ones (lang-* folders)? And do you rename the exe?

i guess because after his patch is applied scene and kernel are in their old folder your options could be something like this
1997 release (or 2012 with new to old patch)
or
vanilla 2012 rerelease

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2012-08-19 18:33:21 »

The patch restores the old game 100%

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #109 on: 2012-08-19 19:34:27 »
Ok, no need to add an option for this patch then. People who use this probably knows what they are doing.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2012-08-19 20:05:57 »
No it depends.  Anyone who uses this patch will be using the old paths and so forth.  But anyone who wants to keep the NEW game will have to use the new paths.

This patch takes the new game and makes it the old in every way.  The new game uses new exe and driver.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #111 on: 2012-08-19 20:43:51 »
I've included an option for old or new release. If this patch (this patch, as in: this thread's patch) restores everything back 100% it's enough to make a note for it in the forum and in the help doc. If they use this patch, they need to select the old release. Because then, as I've understood, everything is as the same as old release: file location, exe name, etc.

The only problem I could think of now is the registry, as my program looks for install directory from it. If it finds the new release of FF7, with no previous use of my mod, it'll assume new file locations (you can still change back to old though). If this patch (thread) also adds registry, as it should if 100% identical, then it looks like everything is cool.  8-) Select old release and my program will find it.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2012-08-20 17:33:19 »
i have an idea. i know this wont be a primary goal but itd be a nice plus to this patch. my idea is to run the new alongside the patched version out of the same folder. that way you have your fully moddable version and your new release with full online

some files have the same paths. we can use these for both new and patched
the files that have different paths can be copied to their old location. this applies to saves as well. we dont want to save a game in the patched version then have it deleted by the cloud syncing

this is where it gets fuzzy and i dont know for sure
movies can be set in the registry
because the flevel.lgp is the same path and name but are different in ways idk
music idk

what else is there?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2012-08-20 17:40:05 »
Some of the older mods actually replace textures in the LGP archives with edited textures that redirect the games to the .\textures\ folder.
This would result in missing textures in the new game.
You would almost need two completely separate installs to pull of what you're asking.
Otherwise, the user would need extensive knowledge about what each mod does before installing.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2012-08-20 17:47:44 »
i see. thank you for that

Crazy Brian 96

« Reply #115 on: 2012-08-21 20:57:04 »
how do you get ff7 remix to work with this?

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2012-08-21 21:26:30 »
remix had trouble working even with the old pc. if you want a program that does it all look at bootleg

sparky01gt

« Reply #117 on: 2012-08-22 03:59:53 »
I just want to confirm that version .2 is the most recent? Perhaps you should update the OP? Also, are there any known problems? I read through the whole thread but it seemed to me any problems were user error.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #118 on: 2012-08-22 06:06:01 »
why do people still come up and want to use remix?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2012-08-28 15:24:01 »
just made version 0.3, only has a few small bug fixes and a option to unpatch flevel if you don't install any mods that modify flevel, and it should now also autodetect the FF7 installation path.
you can get it in the first post or here
http://www.mediafire.com/?yeacw1v0uf6d9av
also if you already have 0.2 sucessfully installed you DO NOT NEED THIS

blaight

• You have a great forum here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2012-08-28 18:00:05 »
Just used the v03, now everything works. guess i was too stupid before or whatever! great work for those who dont own the original us version from 1998, they can buy the new one instead!

WissiW

« Reply #121 on: 2012-08-28 18:54:19 »
Hello, just to know : is this video good ?
I have some issues when I'm following this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfiVZ7YGFfA

EDIT : So far so good ! Just a dumb mistake on my part : install FF7 2012 in a non "system" folder (program files is a system folder) AND unzip bootleg to "mods" in FF7 folder, not in "MODS" in the bootleg zip.

This guy with the video on youtube and this forum, you guys are perfect. Thank you a lot !

I couldn't find a ff7 cd, and I wanted to have a legit ff7 (and thx square for reselling it).

Love you all :D
« Last Edit: 2012-08-28 19:46:01 by WissiW »

mumu932

« Reply #122 on: 2012-08-29 16:49:17 »
he asks me to add the cdrom, and registry clée not work I opened the notpad

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2012-08-29 21:19:31 »
he asks me to add the cdrom, and registry clée not work I opened the notpad
Im not sure exactly what your problem is but all you have to do is edit the REG file for your system with the drive you intend to use. i recommend following EQ2Alyza's guide at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfiVZ7YGFfA

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2012-09-02 01:11:24 »
With  this patch can you still mod it and obtain the online acheivments