• delete
    • View Profile
« on: 2015-10-28 22:43:40 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:05:49 by dkma841 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
I am still fairly sure, from the trailer, that this will not actually a remake, but rather a sequel. So, yeah, can't beat it.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-28 23:00:06 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:05:42 by dkma841 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
I am still fairly sure, from the trailer, that this will not actually a remake, but rather a sequel. So, yeah, can't beat it.
They have repeatedly stated that the trailer was not representative of game content, and just done that way for the trailer's sake. It's possible they'll try to frame the whole thing as a flashback, Hobbit-style, but it doesn't make any sense at all for it to be a full-on sequel.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Well, the sheep are in for yet another shock imho.  Although, I am guessing a lot of people will like the remake more because of graphics.  IGN will slap a 10/10 on it no matter how much they deviate or ruin things.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
They have repeatedly stated that the trailer was not representative of game content, and just done that way for the trailer's sake. It's possible they'll try to frame the whole thing as a flashback, Hobbit-style, but it doesn't make any sense at all for it to be a full-on sequel.

Heh, my bad for not being interested in the slighliest in this remake and thus not paying attention to related news :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Well, the sheep are in for yet another shock imho.  Although, I am guessing a lot of people will like the remake more because of graphics.  IGN will slap a 10/10 on it no matter how much they deviate or ruin things.
Totally irrelevant? We're discussing whether it'll be a remake or a sequel, not whether it'll be good.

Heh, my bad for not being interested in the slighliest in this remake and thus not paying attention to related news :P
Life pro tip: If you aren't paying attention to news, maybe don't make guesses :P

olearyf2525

• View Profile
I can understand being skeptical considering a lot of Square-Enix's recent releases, but I have no doubt they will actually put a lot of effort into this one because this could be a huge financial blow to them if they get a lot of negative PR and if sales fall off after the first week or so. I really don't like these people who post like they have some sort of crystal ball and are all knowing and are judging a game before we've even seen a game play trailer or the game itself. Basically, I can understand being skeptical but don't judge a game we don't even know almost anything about yet.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Totally irrelevant? We're discussing whether it'll be a remake or a sequel, not whether it'll be good.

I was responding to OP post:

Alot of people been arguing with me saying FFVII remake will no doubt be better than the original FFVII

Most people are well aware this is a remake.  It's definitely going to cut and rearrange content though.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-29 17:12:59 by DLPB »

philman

• View Profile
Most people are well aware this is a remake.  It's definitely going to cut and rearrange content though.

Something Like Maverick Hunter X you say (but with the story we knew)

StickySock

• View Profile
I don't understand what is so hard for a company to remake a game. Honestly, it would be very easy to make the game better than the original. All Square would need to do is recreate all the assets so that the game looks modern, re-localize the game since the original sucked (they could just use DLPB's localization), and make sure that any "controversial" changes (voice acting, live instruments for OST, etc.) have menus that allow players to opt out of them. That would be easy money and sure to please the fan-base. It might not be as big of a release as the original was, but it would certainly gain new fans as well as they are finally able to try the game without suffering through typos, errors, and lego-esque character models.

Since they are most certainly going to try to "modernize" most aspects of the game, going off of Nomura's statements, it can almost be assured that the gameplay and likely the story are going to be altered to some extent. The real question will be how much, because if they don't stray too far the game might not be a disaster, and if they only change things for the better the game could still turn out better than the original. We simply don't have enough information at this point to say whether it will or won't be better than the original. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

hian

• View Profile
I personally have little problem with re-imaginings of earlier pieces of art. It can be interesting, fresh and exciting in its own way - but that means that the people doing the re-imagining have to be competent at what they're doing.
However, in relation to FF7 and SE, I just don't have a lot of faith that they could do this in a good way, and it's not what fans have been pining for for years either.

- SE has a dreadful track-record with action RPGs in my book (people praise Kingdom Hearts, but seriously, how really does that compare to actual action games like Devil May Cry or God of War?), so I doubt they can pull that off - especially if you consider their work on FF Type-0 and FF15 which can both only be considered abysmal to anyone who knows what they're talking about.
- They have a dreadful track-record of cutting content from their recent RPGs.
- They have a terrible track-record of automatic their game-play more and more, removing control from the players etc.
- They have a horrible track-record of writing for their new games as well, turning them all into melodramatic angst-fests populated by anime tropes etc.

Furthermore,  it's being directed by Nomura - A person, who to my mind, should never be allowed to touch anything except characters, and even in that, he should not be allowed complete freedom to do whatever he wants because he's a tacky person with no sense of taste.
Seriously, look at the original cast of FF7, and 8, and then compare it to what he makes now.
Everything is covered in nails and belts, with angel wings and impractical asymmetrical multi-colored outfits (except for 15, when instead, they look like members of the Japanese boy-band "Exile" instead - seriously, like youtube it).

If this game was being produced by Sakaguchi at the helm with complete creative control (like the original), once again able to veto any BS proposed by the rest of them - then, and only then, would I be able feel comfortable with hope that the remake will turn out as good, if not better, than the original.

As it is though - these people, and the people at SE, have consistently shat all over the franchise - FF7 in particular. I have no reason to believe that they'll suddenly be able to treat the source material with respect now after all the years of constant BS.
Seriously - Sakaguchi needs to bitch-slap the rest of the people at SE and tell them to stop vandalizing what, in any reasonable world, would be entirely his intellectual property if it weren't for the sly bastards who back-stabbed and ran him out during the merger.
I seriously hope SE goes bankrupt some time soon (no offense to that one person here who works there - I wouldn't want you to lose your job), and sell off all their IP's to people who actually know what to do with them.

Oh, and add Konami, and Capcom to that list to. Seriously people, if you don't plan on making quality Suikoden, Vandal Hearts and Breath of Fire titles the least you can do is stop hoarding these IPs like some mental deranged old man who can't get rid of old stuff even though it's of no use to him anymore what so ever.
Japanese devs, stop being asshats.

*endrant*

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I don't understand what is so hard for a company to remake a game. Honestly, it would be very easy to make the game better than the original. All Square would need to do is recreate all the assets so that the game looks modern, re-localize the game since the original sucked (they could just use DLPB's localization), and make sure that any "controversial" changes (voice acting, live instruments for OST, etc.) have menus that allow players to opt out of them. That would be easy money and sure to please the fan-base. It might not be as big of a release as the original was, but it would certainly gain new fans as well as they are finally able to try the game without suffering through typos, errors, and lego-esque character models.

Since they are most certainly going to try to "modernize" most aspects of the game, going off of Nomura's statements, it can almost be assured that the game-play and likely the story are going to be altered to some extent. The real question will be how much, because if they don't stray too far the game might not be a disaster, and if they only change things for the better the game could still turn out better than the original. We simply don't have enough information at this point to say whether it will or won't be better than the original. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

There's nothing too hard about remaking the game, IF you are prepared to remake it in the style it was originally intended.  This means pre-rendered backgrounds (obviously better quality) and all the original mechanics unaltered (but enhanced, like the difficulty balance).  But that's the thing:  they AREN'T prepared to do that.  They are specifically targeting the remake to a wider demograph, so at the very least they want full 3D graphics in all fields.  This then completely changes the difficulty of remaking the game in full - so content is dropped and rearranged.  In other words, in a grab for an audience obsessed with visuals, the soul of the game is lost.

Already from the interviews and material that has been released, we can see the crappy pattern of suck.  FF7 is a massive game, and trying to remake that game in full 3D (especially in the time they are giving themselves) is just not attainable in their business model.  But that brings us on to the other issue here: It's all about money now.  So forget any idea you may have that this is being done through a love of the game - it isn't.  It's being done as the ultimate cash-in.

To realize their goal of having needless full 3D cutscenes and full 3D environments, an awful lot of content will need dropping.  More than most realize.  I'll love it if I am wrong, but I really really don't think I will be. 

Also, let's give a mention to the music. I am guaranteeing that will be arranged and miss the soul that the original had.

Finally, what Hian says about their track record is the ultimate nail in the coffin.  They've gone totally lazy and it's foolish to think that the ATB system will be replaced with something that has true interactivity.  It will be another half-AI slap dash slash em up.

If this game was being produced by Sakaguchi at the helm with complete creative control (like the original), once again able to veto any BS proposed by the rest of them - then, and only then, would I be able feel comfortable with hope that the remake will turn out as good, if not better, than the original.

Precisely.  I didn't know Nomura was at the helm for the remake, but that's just sealed its doom for me.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-30 16:34:14 by DLPB »

Kefka

• View Profile
What can I say? I pretty much agree with what most people here said. I, too, am fearing the incompetence of the current SE staff and the completely wrong priorities they set for their projects (graphics above all else). If (more likely "when") our worst fears do come true, I'd wish for a big time flop of this remake that rips a huge hole in their purse, just so they learn that they can't continue like this any longer.

However, a lot of the new teeny-fanboys that grew up with the compilation are apparently looking forward to this remake. Also, reviewers tend to give top scores to any visually polished game no matter how crappy it truly is. Sad but true.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
That's exactly how it is.  Even if this game turns out to be an absolute abomination, it won't matter.  Big reviewers will slap 10 on it and people will buy it regardless. The demograph it is largely going to be aimed at will be happy.  The only people who are going to rage are people like me - now the minority who don't count.

Take the sport of snooker.  I was once a huge fan, until I got tired of its shortcomings and then an egomaniac took over (51% ownership) and dumbed it down even further.  His name is Barry Hearn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Hearn

He's a great businessman, but he doesn't give a fuck about the sport.  It's ALL about money to him.  Here are some of my tweets to him, and his replies:

Quote from: Daniel
You understand business.That is not the same as understanding the sport. Bestof7s cannot reward the best, it's counterproductive

Quote from: Barry
Sport is about opportunity ability and most of all money.

YIt's a bit sad that you actually believe sport is all about money. From the fans perspective it is not, and they pay the wages.

And the wages they are paying are at an all time high so I guess we are doing something they like.

It's the long-term fans, and the players, that hold the sport together. The belly is full but the spirit is empty. I was a life long fan; you turned me off snooker.You did it by devaluing the UK Championship and the tour with low-frame formats

You have been replaced by millions of new fans. It's a new world.

And you have proof of this, have you Barry? If I have indeed been replaced, it won't be by dedicated fans. Just hangers-on

Numbers prove everything and all fans are fans.

I also sent this

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F6dghKqN61I4u79D200eX5Vjj3Y2Zc4mi-ixtfRThf4/edit

When you have players stating it, you know there's an issue:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2092123/Mark-Allen-fined-rant-Barry-Hearn.html
« Last Edit: 2015-10-31 02:07:04 by DLPB »

hian

• View Profile
Precisely.  I didn't know Nomura was at the helm for the remake, but that's just sealed its doom for me.

Well the producer is Kitase, if I'm not much mistaken, with Nomura as the director.

The irony in all of this is that people are going "Look, Kitase as producer, Nomura as director, and Nojima as writers - it's practially the original team" ignoring the fact that this is the exact same set-up of leadership that gave us Advent Children - the exact same - and nobody really thinks that's a good movie in any other regard than being visually impressive.
At least Advent Children had its music composed, produced and directed by Nobuo Uematsu. The remake probably won't even have that as Uematsu has stated to several people that he's received no invitation to take part in the project and that he isn't particularly interested in it either.

Sakaguchi has always been the heart of Final Fantasy. He's not there to control the creative flow of the production anymore, and the people who're now ultimately in charge of the product, are the exact same people who made Advent Children, reprising the exact same roles they did in that travesty of a movie spin-off.
Yet, people somehow think this remake will be more true to the feeling of the original game than to Advent Children.
Seriously folks - do your research.

-Ric-

• View Profile
You guys are too stuck in the past and on the hatred for change when it might just be be a good experience.
I personally think that there is ALOT of potential for the remake to be great even if it drifts away from the original. But hey, the original still exists and people who love it can always replay it. I'm excited to see what they can do with things like: minigames, Gold Saucer (can you imagine if they manage to pull some enemies like Gilgamesh and such from other FF games? Like at the Coliseum on FF13-2? It opens up alot of possibilities for extra superbosses), CGI FMV's which if done right will be beautiful, a better explanation of Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth's past using the Crisis Core stuff... The possibilities are endless. Now it's obvious that it has to be done properly for it to work out well but my point is, different doesn't necessarily mean bad. We'll have to wait and see what they pull out.

hian

• View Profile
You guys are too stuck in the past and on the hatred for change when it might just be be a good experience.

Nope. I'm perfectly open to change, and in fact, I would love playing a re-imagining of FF7 as much as a remake trying to stay as true as possible to the original. In fact, despite FF7 being my favorite game of all time, it's still a game with tons of flaws - plot-holes, underdeveloped world, and bad balancing of the battle-/character-progression system being just off the top of my head.

My issue is not with change - it's with the change that is likely to come from SE handling the project, which in my estimation is going to be bad, because SE hasn't made a good FF game in around a decade or so.

I personally think that there is ALOT of potential for the remake to be great even if it drifts away from the original. But hey, the original still exists and people who love it can always replay it.

Again, yes, drifting away from the original doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. However, if it's going to drift away, it's taking a risk. FF7 was a solid game in its own right whatever its flaws might have been, and if they plan on messing with that they have to be able to do something just as good, if not better.
Since FF games have consistently taken a turn for the worse since 10, that is not a realistic thing to hope for.

Also, like people have said several times over - remakes exist for fans of the original material, and it is therefore reasonable to expect remakes to attempt to stay true to the source material. After all, people who're not fans of the source material won't have any reason to prefer a remake of FF7 to any other newer FF title in the franchise. If you're looking for an open-world, action-based FF just play FF15. There really is no good reason to remake FF7 just to have it be a copy of FF15 with an FF7 skin draped over it.

CGI FMV's which if done right will be beautiful, a better explanation of Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth's past using the Crisis Core stuff... 

Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth's backgrounds were not better explained through Crisis Core though. Anything of substance covered in that game was already covered in flashbacks in the original, and anything else was contrived fluff that needlessly complicated matters, retconned several thematically important parts of the original, whilst undermining the intent of the original narrative.
Optimally, they'll remake the game as if the compilation doesn't exist. If not though, they'll rewrite the entire story, from A to Z, to work out all the kinks caused by the eclectic and logically inconsistent additions.

The possibilities are endless. Now it's obvious that it has to be done properly for it to work out well but my point is, different doesn't necessarily mean bad. We'll have to wait and see what they pull out.

Everybody knows different doesn't necessarily mean bad - it's just that SE making changes usually means bad, because SE have consistently made bad choice about their JRPGs, new and old, the last decade or so.

If this game was being overseen by Mistwalker Studios, being produced by Level-5, then you know what? They could completely redesign and rewrite the game for all I care, because it would probably come out completely awesome regardless.
That's not what is happening though.
It's the people who brought us Advent Children, who butchered the franchise, under the roof of a company that doesn't know how to make a good action RPG even if their lives depended on it.

Could it turn into a miracle? Maybe. Is it likely? No.

On a side-note - If I had the power to dictate which people to make the remake, they would be as follows -
Producer - Hironobu Sakaguchi (father of Final Fantasy)
Writer(s) - Yos(h)itaka Murayama, Junko Kawano (writers of Suikoden 2)
Designer and Director - Akihiro Hino (Rogue Galaxy)
Composer - Nobuo Uematsu (father of FF music)

That would be a remake worth playing. In fact, that would be a game worth playing even if it was an original title.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-31 15:35:14 by hian »

StickySock

• View Profile
SE has a dreadful track-record with action RPGs in my book (people praise Kingdom Hearts, but seriously, how really does that compare to actual action games like Devil May Cry or God of War?), so I doubt they can pull that off - especially if you consider their work on FF Type-0 and FF15 which can both only be considered abysmal to anyone who knows what they're talking about.
A couple counter arguments to make:

1. Kingdom Hearts is very comparable in quality in terms of action to God of War. God of War's combat is very overrated in my opinion (even though I still enjoy the games) and I'd rate the newest KH games to be about on par. Devil May Cry (Not the shitty Ninja Theory reboot), on the other hand, is the epitome of the action genre (even though every game in the series has had series flaws). The games themselves have issues, but the combat is no doubt on another level than God of War and KH. The only games that come close to DMC are those made by Platinum Games (which some argue are even better).

2. Realizing that FFXV episode duscae is not very representative of the entirety of FFXV, I am expecting FFXV's combat to be similar in quality to KH in the final build.

3. Action RPGs are not generally expected to have combat mechanics on the level of a pure action game. The Witcher series, Dragon Age series (the ones that are action rpgs), the Elder Scrolls series (FFXV looks to have much better combat than this series at least), and pretty much any other highly acclaimed action RPG has vastly inferior combat compared to DMC. (Supposedly Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning had combat that was comparable to God of War).

4. The entire souls series has combat that is mechanically less complex than DMC, but many find the combat in the souls series more enjoyable (I like both but give a slight edge to DMC).

The rest of your post I agree completely with though.

They are specifically targeting the remake to a wider demograph, so at the very least they want full 3D graphics in all fields.  This then completely changes the difficulty of remaking the game in full - so content is dropped and rearranged.  In other words, in a grab for an audience obsessed with visuals, the soul of the game is lost.
Their biggest problem, IMHO, is targeting a wider demograph. They should tailor the game to the hardcore fans, and then expand. If they made a game to please the hard core, but updated the shoddy parts, and made any extras optional I believe they would attract way more fans new and old to the game. If they change too much they will alienate the hard core and without the hard core they might as well just made another entirely new game.

I personally think that there is ALOT of potential for the remake to be great even if it drifts away from the original. But hey, the original still exists and people who love it can always replay it. I'm excited to see what they can do with things like: minigames, Gold Saucer (can you imagine if they manage to pull some enemies like Gilgamesh and such from other FF games? Like at the Coliseum on FF13-2? It opens up alot of possibilities for extra superbosses), CGI FMV's which if done right will be beautiful, a better explanation of Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth's past using the Crisis Core stuff... The possibilities are endless. Now it's obvious that it has to be done properly for it to work out well but my point is, different doesn't necessarily mean bad. We'll have to wait and see what they pull out.
I don't have any hatred and am very excited for the remake, because it is something that I always wanted. My reservations stem from the fact that the compilation of FF7 outside of the original game is complete and utter trash. Imagining cut-scenes that bring in the garbage from Crisis Core makes me a bit nauseous to say the least.

Minigames might be cool, and they may even expand on the originals or make entirely new awesome ones. My concern is that the game will go down the Advent Children route and make everything too serious, so optional wacky stuff like mini games at the Gold Saucer may be an after thought, if even there at all to begin with. Cross-dressing Cloud, Cloud in a hot tub with like 30 dudes, pretty much the entire Wallmarket sequence, and many other bizarre moments in the game are in danger of being cut, and I tend to be more worried about that than optimistic that it will keep everything and add more.

I am very optimistic about the game coming out, but my expectations are very low, if that makes sense. At best we are going to see something of similar quality to the original that ignores of the compilation BS, but at worst we'll be getting the final entry in the terrible series of compilation games.

hian

• View Profile
1. Kingdom Hearts is very comparable in quality in terms of action to God of War. God of War's combat is very overrated in my opinion (even though I still enjoy the games) and I'd rate the newest KH games to be about on par. Devil May Cry (Not the strawberriesty Ninja Theory reboot), on the other hand, is the epitome of the action genre (even though every game in the series has had series flaws). The games themselves have issues, but the combat is no doubt on another level than God of War and KH. The only games that come close to DMC are those made by Platinum Games (which some argue are even better).

I don't agree. KH's action is atrocious in terms of pretty much any mediocre pure action game to my mind. The camera is unwieldy and awkward, the action is centered mostly around a single attack combo, with a relatively small amount of additional actions. The item/magic system is extremely awkward and the target system is mediocre. On top of that, you have two other characters that run around being mostly useless.

(also, I was of course talking about the original DmC. The reboot, I pretend never happened

If anything the action of KH is severely overrated by the fans of the franchise, that in large part, probably comprise of people who don't play actual action games on a general basis.

2. Realizing that FFXV episode duscae is not very representative of the entirety of FFXV, I am expecting FFXV's combat to be similar in quality to KH in the final build..

That's a strange way of thinking. The basic mechanics are there for all to see. Adding magic etc. is not going to change the fact that A.) the camera and target system of the game is horrible, the hit-detection and hit-animations makes the entire game feel floaty and without substance, your party members are largely superfluous and often directly in your way, the attack/dodge/block dynamics are way too simple and require so little finesse to use that they might not even be there at all for all the technical challenge they provide.
Can they fix all of this before release? Sure. However, considering how a lot of this is related to the fundamentals of the system, I don't think they're going to fix it - because this is what they were going for, on purpose, to begin with.

3. Action RPGs are not generally expected to have combat mechanics on the level of a pure action game.

That's a bad thing - not a good thing. Action in action-rpgs tend to be horrible, and it's because developers are trying to marry two genres that essentially stand for completely different values in terms of game-play I.E
Slow, deliberate, strategical game-play elements through micro-management (the same things people enjoy in games like Chess, Poker, table-top RPGs, Risk etc.) VS twitch mechanics relying on hand/finger dexterity good reaction times and a hands-on approach to strategy.
These are essentially conflicting ways of playing and enjoying games, and I would say they are not really compatible in a meaningful sense despite what people like to think (I think it's usually a pipe-dream concocted by people who like both genres) - meaning that to marry the two means that you're, to my mind, almost certainly going to end up with
A.) a good action game with botched RPG mechanics, or
B.) a good RPG with botched action mechanics, or
C.) a bad game that's just bad at everything

The Witcher series, Dragon Age series (the ones that are action rpgs), the Elder Scrolls series (FFXV looks to have much better combat than this series at least), and pretty much any other highly acclaimed action RPG has vastly inferior combat compared to DMC. (Supposedly Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning had combat that was comparable to God of War).

One thing important to mention here relevant to FF games and most of the games you praise in your post with except of Dragon Age (which doesn't really have action combat for the most part on paper - it just looks like), is that they are all single-character games.
This is one of my biggest gripes with action-RPGs from SE.

Action games are based on in-moment micro-management of a single character - most FF games and JRPGs are based on micro-management of several characters at once.
In action games, the more A.I partners you introduce, the more of a mess you make. Either they get in your way, or they don't actually attribute anything of value to the game-play that you couldn't have done by simply spending more time on the core-mechanics and allowed the player to do with one.
If you're going to force me to have a party of characters to fight with - command based systems are simply superior in every single conceivable way, because they allow the player to be in perfect control of every single move your party makes for every second that goes by.
This cannot happen in an action system, because when you're moving one character, you cannot at the same time control your other characters, but they will still be moving around interacting with you and the enemies.
If your game has some sort of time-stop mechanic for changing characters or issuing orders, then my question becomes immediately - if you have to fix your action system by adding a command system to it, then why didn't you just make a command system to begin with?

This is a problem and it's a problem that no game in existence to this date has managed to solve satisfactory without resorting to multi-play, or by having a command system hidden underneath all the action, yet SE keeps on insisting they use parties of characters like in their old RPGs, while using game-play lifted from a genre that is usually, and for a good reason, centered around single character systems.
The best example in recent memory is Type-0. That game has excellent action mechanics, but the RPG aspects of the game completely ruin it.

4. The entire souls series has combat that is mechanically less complex than DMC, but many find the combat in the souls series more enjoyable (I like both but give a slight edge to DMC).

I don't think it's meaningful to judge action games on mechanically complexity - a good example being Street Fighter's mechanics compared to Tekken. Are there less inputs and combos in the former, sure. However, it's the limitation of these that lead to structure and strategy taking place due to the decrease in random variables that result from having too many factors at play at the same time.
That arguably gives the Souls series and Street Fighter more depth than their competitors, because they organically grow a much more sophisticated player-base as a result.

I am not saying that action RPG's are bad because they're not as mechanically complex - I am saying that they're bad because they're mechanically flawed. It's not a Street Fighter VS Tekken situation. It's more like Street Fighter VS a Street Fighter based on a level system that forces you to keep track of 2-3 A.I characters fighting on your team that you have limited control over - which, I think most people will realize, would be a terrible Street Fighter game.

The Souls series is not really a good example - again, they're great action games - they're shitty RPGs though. In fact, I struggle to think of them as RPGs at all.
The Souls games could work just as well without a single visible numerical, level, or stat menu-navigation. It's essentially all just fluff that has no real bearing on a core game-play that still allows players who're good at action-games to steamroll the game - which raises the question, why is it there?
Well, again, it's there to broaden the target audience. To capture more people, and based on the naive notion that if you put two good things in a blender, you'll get something twice as good. I shouldn't have to tell people that this way of thinking rarely works.

The Souls series also firmly accepts the convention of action games putting the player in the boots of just one character as opposed to a team, except in online multi-player.

To break this down - A good action game is a game where player skills should determine whether the player can progress or not - whilst good RPGs demand strategy and building/management of means (character progression, equipment/stat progression, item hoarding, gold hoarding etc.)
If a game demands you have excellent sense for twitch mechanics to advance, it's generally not a good RPG. If a game demands that you have the necessary level/build/items/equipment to advance it's generally not a good action game.

Apart from issues relating to the party, and the ones I mentioned earlier, this is why games like KH, in my book, are extremely poorly designed games. KH puts you squarely in the situation of screwing you over if you're not leveled sufficiently or without using exploits, yet it also demands that you master the action mechanics to get anywhere. It provides you with a party, but no real control over them- a party that doesn't really do anything of value that you couldn't do yourself if you were provided with a system of buffs, and passive attack skills to make up for their absence.

This is why, deep down, I don't want SE to touch FF7 if they're going to change the game-play, because I can already see where it is going -
An action based system where your team members run around all willy nilly, getting in your way, or dying if you don't baby-sit them,
yet making you dependent on them for healing and buffs.
A system where the camera gets stuck or loopy when fighting large enemies in relatively tight spaces (Bottom Swell anyone..., or the elevator fight in the Shinra Building).
A system where the game doesn't pause when you're looking for items, and then gets you killed as you desperately search for the Phoenix Down on that particularly difficult boss fight.
A system where magic is difficult to browse, and even more difficult to target correctly.

The only action RPGs I've played and felt as if managed to do a decent job of masking these issues are the Tales of games (to varying degrees), Star Ocean, and Rogue Galaxy. That's it - and they still require time-stop menus in order to be functional essentially just proving my point - Command systems are necessary to make party-based RPGs work.

StickySock

• View Profile
@hian: (I apologize that this post is kind of a mess)

I find God of War's combat pretty sub par as well as KH; I wasn't saying that KH was very exceptional. God of War might be a little better in my opinion, but not much.

I didn't make what I was saying about FFXV very clear. I meant that taking into account the fine tuning and extras they are going to add onto FFXV, I expect it's combat to be comparable in quality or personal enjoyment for me to KH, and not that it would be extremely similar. In other words, I don't think it will be great, but I don't think it will be crap compared to KH.

I was not praising those games myself (the acclaimed action rpgs), only noting that they were highly regarded. I have not played all of them and am admittedly going off of the analyses I've watched/read on the games, and the gameplay I've watched myself for the ones I hadn't. I do agree that having multiple party members is pointless if you can neither control them nor switch between them. I know that, as you said, combining multiple good ideas does not guarantee a new, good idea, but I think there is always a possibility. (Note: the rest of this paragraph is random babbling about a fleeting idea I once had for naively combining systems) I think that character switching a la Tales series combined with a fleshed out paradigm system from FF13 and Gambit system from FF12 might lead to a decent trade off between real time action and party management. Switching between characters that have unique abilities for different situations, setting up Gambit-like priorities inside of paradigm roles that you could switch between on the fly with the d-pad while you fight in real time sounds appealing to me. Obviously a lot of work balancing the system and making it actually function would mean it is very unlikely anything like that would happen, but I like to keep an open mind that it could be done.

I actually have a hypothesis that FFXV's character switching was scrapped not only to save time, and not only because Noctis is OP, but also because they may be saving that for FF7, to differentiate the two titles in terms of gameplay.

The point I was making about the Souls series is that it was an Action RPG that had a very good and highly acclaimed combat system that was not as mechanically complex, so essentially we agree. I was just pointing out that there are Action RPGs that have good combat, but now that you mention it the RPG aspect of it is weak instead. I think that games have to make compromises in all aspects of their development (for example, you can't have an open world game that also has the most complex level design, the best graphics, the best framerate and resolution, the best combat mechanics, first person and third person options, etc.) so people have to decide what matters to them. Although having a game that is very high quality in one area, such as the combat in DMC, might be enough to attract some people, others won't like it because of it being lacking in other areas. My point is that people have different tastes as to which levels of quality are acceptable for different aspects of games (some might prefer open worlds, some may prefer excellent level design, some may like "cinematic" linear experiences, etc.) and for action RPGs people generally accept that in order to have a game that is both real time and also a huge, sprawling RPG world that both the RPG elements and action elements might be lower in quality than games that inhabit a single genre. I know people who love GTAV because it is a huge world that has dozens of different gameplay mechanics within one game, and I know others who can't stand GTAV because nothing it does has not been done better by other games individually. I think both preferences are valid though, because I happen to enjoy both the games that do a lot but do nothing particularly well, and also the games that do somethings extraordinarily well.

For me personally, my perfect game would be an action game with the quality of DMC, but with the huge world, lore, characters, plot, character development, art design, etc. that usually comes with an RPG. Basically the level design, lore, and world-building of the souls series, the characters and plot of FF7, and the combat of DMC (because action games are what I personally have the most fun playing) is my dream (leveling up and other RPG tropes I couldn't care less for). Until that perfect-for-me game comes along, I often settle for action RPGs because, even though they are flawed, they are the closest to my dream game.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that my dream game is not necessarily what I'd like to see from FF7. The party-based combat and RPG elements are integral to the game, so making it an action game wouldn't be in the spirit of the original. Usually, my argument is that a game could potentially be both a great action game and a great RPG, but obviously that is highly unlikely and has yet to be done before (that I know of) because a game cannot be everything all at once. The more things it does, the lower quality those things tend to be. Even for companies as rich as Rockstar, who spent a ridiculous amount of money on GTAV so that it's mechanics are actually pretty damn good for being such a big game, it is impossible to be the best at multiple different genres at the same time.

I do enjoy the Tales series  (even though I seem to be the only person I know who dislikes Xillia and think that the game, aside from gameplay, is very bland and unremarkable), do not like Star Ocean even though I've only played IV, and haven't played Rogue Galaxy, just to show where I'm coming from.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-01 04:46:08 by StickySock »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

That's really not a good summary of the issue here. It's also totally false, since no-one here hates change for the better -- only the worse.

I can also assure you that if the remake is anything like I expect, it will not be a good experience for me.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-01 06:26:46 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Considering the new trailer, I think we can safely put this argument to bed.  It will not be as good as the original.  Unless you prize action scenes and graphics over everything else.  In which case, it will be amazing.
I can also assure you that if the remake is anything like I expect, it will not be a good experience for me.

We can also remove the "if".

Fischkopf

• View Profile
I personally think that there is ALOT of potential for the remake to be great even if it drifts away from the original.
Exactly, the game has a lot of potential - all of which they are NOT going to utilize judging by what we have heard and seen so far.