Author Topic: FFVII Bugfixes  (Read 10856 times)

The Pezman

• View Profile
FFVII Bugfixes
« on: 2008-06-25 16:06:01 »
I've seen here that FFVII has been hacked to all hell.  I've seen some great things come out of it.  But in our quest to make FFVII better, don't you think someone ought to actually fix all the stuff that's wrong with the game?

Just wondering.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-25 16:08:38 by The Pezman »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII Bugfixes
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-25 17:10:50 »
FIrst of all... what do you mean by everything that's wrong with the game?

And secondly... What's wrong with the game that hasn't been fixed by people here?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-25 17:55:39 »
Well, a difficulty mod is in the works by gjoe.
Other than that, there's not much we can 'fix'. I'm assuming what you think is broken is the dificulty and some bugs. Regarding BUGS, it's not worth the trouble to fix them.

The Pezman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-25 20:10:17 »
To answer both your questions, click the link and watch some videos.  I'm not talking about difficulty rebalancing or rewordings of the script, which can be arguably subjective.  No, I'm talking about bugs that are OBJECTIVELY wrong.  That are not supposed to be there.  They are things that the player should not be able to do or have happen.  Again, a short viewing of a couple of those videos indicate some of the bugs that exist.  I also definitely think they're worth fixing, since it will help for a smoother experience and one that can't be tempered by backdoor cheats (w-item).

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-25 22:13:56 »
If they were easy to fix, they would've been fixed.
All you have mentioned is the W-item bugaroony, which I imagine would require a lot of work seeing as how I doubt any of us have the proper tools to edit FF7's code.
I mean, editing .bin files and lgp files are easy, but only a select few know how to go above and beyond. I don't think anyone blames them for not taking on the responsibility of 'Squeenix patch development crew' because it's a big job that, as I said, isn't worth it.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-25 22:50:04 »
I can't imagine anyone installing the patch which would correct the W-Item bug. I mean, if you don't want to glitch it, you won't, and you don't need a patch.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-25 22:50:59 »
If they were easy to fix, they would've been fixed.
All you have mentioned is the W-item bugaroony, which I imagine would require a lot of work seeing as how I doubt any of us have the proper tools to edit FF7's code.
I mean, editing .bin files and lgp files are easy, but only a select few know how to go above and beyond. I don't think anyone blames them for not taking on the responsibility of 'Squeenix patch development crew' because it's a big job that, as I said, isn't worth it.

I agree.

Some of those videos have interesting glitches. My personal opinion is that none of them are worth fixing to be honest, as most only happen on rare occasions and the other, more noticeable glitches don't really bother anyone. I think its more important to focus on what NEEDS to be improved rather than a few silly glitches.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-26 06:57:02 »
I mind the visual bugs and crashes so I believe they would be worth fixing (seeing poor Vincent's animation all screwed up at the City of the Ancients DID ruin the atmosphere for me).

The other glitches are unimportant because they really are more like exploits.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-26 08:23:25 »
Wouldn't fixing that Vincent bug (I've never seen it) require one to change Vincent's animations, or edit them in that specific area?
Like I said, we aren't a community of bugfixers, unless it's a bug in our own mod. 
We're modders.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-26 19:20:05 »
Yeah I think you'd have to alter his animations to fix that.

Does anyone actually know why that happens?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-06-27 21:56:25 »

I'm not sure but I think that the reason is that, in this particular occasion, the game calls for a standard ff7 animation instead of a specific Vincent animation.  If I remember correctly, Vincent uses some more bones than standard models.  If they used an animation that doesn't fit the number and settings of the bones, it would explain why it's screwed up.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-06-27 21:58:33 »
Woah, stormmedia is back. Any word on the already completed NPCRP being uploaded somewhere? :P

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-06-27 23:10:26 »
Woah, stormmedia is back. Any word on the already completed NPCRP being uploaded somewhere? :P

Already completed? Where the hell did you hear that.  I don't think we even at 75% yet... Anyway, if you want a working link to the actual patch I have posted one at the second page of the FF7PRP topic.  But be aware that I'm pretty sure that there are some bugs on this version though it's probably playable(didn't tried yet for I have no time...)­.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-06-27 23:36:56 »
Ah, I remember hearing that it's been completed but hasn't been checked over for bugs and such. My memory's fuzzy, and I'm obviously mistaken. :P

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-06-29 18:26:48 »

I'm not sure but I think that the reason is that, in this particular occasion, the game calls for a standard ff7 animation instead of a specific Vincent animation.  If I remember correctly, Vincent uses some more bones than standard models.  If they used an animation that doesn't fit the number and settings of the bones, it would explain why it's screwed up.

That's one "bug" I wouldn't mind seeing fixed.

Just trowing ideas out there but since the PRP messes with the required files (you did edit a few .p files if I'm not mistaken right ?) would it be possible to consider including a fix for that particular scene in the next release ?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008-07-02 22:22:02 »
Just trowing ideas out there but since the PRP messes with the required files (you did edit a few .p files if I'm not mistaken right ?) would it be possible to consider including a fix for that particular scene in the next release ?

We did edit a lot of .p files, but it won't help here since it's probably the game itself that calls the wrong animation(so .a) so it would require to mess with the code because if we modify that particular animation files it will mess all the other characters that uses that animation (it probably uses Cloud's animations for a character that doesn't fit with them).  Maybe someday it will be fixed but it's not at all in our priorities (well not in mine anyway you might ask to the others if you wish)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: 2008-07-03 13:18:43 »
I've fixed all AI bugs in the game, including those YT one from opening post. That elixir glitch can easily be fixed by field scripting. And those damage overflow glitches can be fixed too by altering the kernel.

The Pezman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008-07-08 19:27:15 »
I've fixed all AI bugs in the game, including those YT one from opening post. That elixir glitch can easily be fixed by field scripting. And those damage overflow glitches can be fixed too by altering the kernel.
Cool.  Can you release these fixes in a package?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008-07-08 19:30:33 »
What elixir glitch? lol