Author Topic: Laptop issue - Progressively worse FPS  (Read 4841 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
Laptop issue - Progressively worse FPS
« on: 2013-07-23 07:09:01 »
So I installed FF7 on my laptop again, since its worked fine on it before. Set up the custom driver and everything was fine for a little while.

Now though, whenever I load up my save - every time I play it starts off running fine, but whenever a transition happens like fading to a new area or opening the menu - my FPS gets worse every time to the point where it becomes unplayable.

At first I thought it was the menu overhaul project I installed, so I uninstalled it to no effect. It also didn't do this the first time I played with it either.

It really makes no sense to me as it was just working fine and now all of a sudden it runs like shit after doing anything in the game.

This is on a 965 express chipset if that matters, it has issues with OpenGL programs but typically old opengl games and FF7 usually work perfectly fine.

Kompass63

• View Profile
Re: Laptop issue - Progressively worse FPS
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-23 07:49:20 »
Some Intel chips are a problem for Aalis driver.

If you look at the app.log, do you have a few lines there "ERROR: GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY"?

If yes, your video card retains too much data.
Try to turn off vbo and pbo, may this helps.
If not, try also cache off.
Last shaders off could also help you to save video ram.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-23 16:54:17 »
Since it's an Intel video chip it's likely sharing video/system RAM on the same chips (fine for casual users, but not good idea for gaming). Getting more RAM might help that too, but would likely only delay the issue.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-23 17:38:31 »
Yeah, Intel Integrated Graphics are a pain in the ass with FF7. Some work, some don't.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-23 21:12:35 »
Shaders were already off otherwise the game doesn't work, and turning off the cache and pbo had the same problem

Normally I would attribute this to the integrated chip since these are known for poor OpenGL support, however I know for a fact this should work alright with FF7 at least with the default models, given that I played FF7 for a while before I reinstalled win7 on here using the opengl driver, and that it was working fine up until now. Also, it handles other OpenGL games with more going on fine as well.

This error seems to be rampant throughout the log, it's the only graphics related one I could find

DD ERROR
  ERROR: 80070057 One or more of the parameters passed to the function are incorrect. in FILE C:\lib\src\graphics\dx_view.cpp LINE 210

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-24 05:20:06 »
"DD ERROR"   ??? ??? ???
"dx_view.cpp"  ??? ??? ???

That sounds pretty of DirectX instead to OpenGL...
Are you played in Windowmode ?

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-24 06:01:08 »
I changed the renderer to directx/direct3d when it had issues and launched it, so that was probably it.

So yeah, no opengl related errors in it :(

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-24 06:21:17 »
I changed the renderer to directx/direct3d when it had issues and launched it, so that was probably it.
... o....k eeey..
Do you have the same problems with DirectX/Direct3D when you enter a new region?

Now though, whenever I load up my save - every time I play it starts off running fine, but whenever a transition happens like fading to a new area or opening the menu - my FPS gets worse every time to the point where it becomes unplayable.

EDIT:
So, if you're not using OpenGL, you're not using Aali's driver then?
Yes, Aalis driver is not used when "Software Renderer" or "Direct3D Hardware Acceleration" is set.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-24 16:41:52 by Kompass63 »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-24 16:25:55 »
So, if you're not using OpenGL, you're not using Aali's driver then?

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-25 04:15:41 »
No no, I switched to it see how D3D worked - I switched back to OpenGL after.

And Direct3D runs flawlessly, but then of course runs the issue that none of the mods - save for direct LGP mods - work.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-26 04:37:57 »
Yeah, that's not really a viable solution.