Author Topic: Widescreen FMV Idea I'd like to work on  (Read 439 times)

Westyle

• View Profile
Widescreen FMV Idea I'd like to work on
« on: 2024-03-26 04:52:40 »
The Limit Break mod gave me an idea for 16:9 FMVs, so the switch from the fields to the 4:3 videos isn't so jarring. I'm completely new to modding, however, I'm experienced in Adobe CC.
Basically I'd stretch the FMV to 16:9 and blur it, then layer the normal 4:3 FMV over top of it. This will create some ambient color on the sides, rather than just black bars.
Going beyond that, with FMVs that start/end on fields, I'd place a still of the background to cover the black bars for a few frames, then mask/fade it out to the blurred part to create a smooth transition.
I wanted to experiment with this idea, however my knowledge of mod file types is pretty limited. I tried to get the 16:9 backgrounds from the Limit Break mod, but I couldn't figure out how to open the DDS file without them scrambling. If someone could help me figure out this part, I'd gladly get started.
If no one else finds this interesting, I'd at least like to create the mod for my own personal enjoyment.

Westyle

• View Profile
Re: Widescreen FMV Idea I'd like to work on
« Reply #1 on: 2024-03-28 17:01:56 »
Think this may be a bit beyond me. I'm having lots of trouble figuring out codecs and compatibility. I did edit the Opening movie as a concept, but when I plugged it into a mod it was super stuttery and shrunken to fit into a 4:3 letterbox instead of being a fullscreen 16:9 video.

I don't mind doing graphical work, but figuring out the technical side of it is way more time and effort than I feel like putting into this.
Here's the edit I did to the opening, to at least show what my plan was:

https://mega.nz/file/hz1QxLLY#dvBc8iJeG0IdDm8c4dS-WK_spPUfoA_-an9eUutk7V0