Author Topic: High Resolution Backgrounds - New Spin on an Old Idea?  (Read 15128 times)

Tsetra

• View Profile
I was playing around in Meteor working on my rewrite project, and after play testing over and over to make sure scenes work as intended, I simply couldn't help but notice how ugly the backgrounds keep getting with age. Especially compared to NPC-RP models with the high res patch going. It's very unsightly.
But as most of us know, the engine simply can't handle anything superior.

However, the high resolution project DOES make 3D objects look nice and crisp.

And I've seen how 3D objects are placed in the game using Meteor, so the thought hit me: Why not place gigantic 3D objects on the field using Meteor to completely sit on top of the backgrounds and replace them?
So I just now ran a search on Qhimm and came across this thread:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4301.0

Similar idea of using 3D backgrounds, however the implementation like I'm thinking wasn't suggested. Synergy Blades, when he was still around, created some AWESOME 3D backgrounds which would have been perfect to test this with. I'll link to the thread when I find it.
If (I'll elaborate on the "if" soon) the idea works, this would completely smoothen out the backgrounds. Obviously it would require some SERIOUS manpower to remake all the backgrounds in full 3D, but for now we'll keep it theoretical.

Right now, I only see two reasons why this wouldn't work:

- Severe lagging. But honestly, I think would handle it without crashing, and handle it fairly efficiently.
- 3D model database limitations. I don't know anything about how the 3D models for the field files are stored and indexed. They've got indexes to call them, but surely if nothing else this can be expanded. Might be tedious, but the result would be worth it.

So what I'm going to try to do is find a large render, could be anything, and see what happens when I attempt to flood a field file with it and use it as the "background". At the very least I can replace an existing file (to my knowledge) and test.

EDIT
Would anybody with some knowledge of FF7 models be willing to make just a big red block or something and upload it in a usable format? Make it mostly flat. I've found I can add new 3D objects, but I don't know any that are large enough to use as is, and I don't know anything about modeling.

EDIT2
I don't think I came across too clear with the idea. This idea completely ignores the 2d backgrounds already present in the game.  The idea is to cover them up entirely with a textured 3D background instead. The order of layers will go like this:

<--------- 3D Layer 2 - Always hides NPCs, party members, items, anything on lower layers ----------------->

<----- NPC/Item/Materia/Walking/Etc. Layer - This is "ground level" upon which all visible objects rest--->

<------ 3D Layer 1 - The bottom 3D layer upon which all other 3D objects rest. Hides background ------>

<---- 2D Background Layer - NEVER SEEN IN GAME, hidden by all other layers ---------------->

Hopefully this clears things up. The point is to completely eliminate the enigma that is the 2D background tiling and instead just hide the ugly things with a better looking, higher resolution 3D object. Obviously this makes the SainT's High-Res patch a requisite (to get the best results), but it'd be well worth the much, much improved visuals. Forget all about the 2D background, that's the whole point of this new idea.
These 3D layers can then be placed as objects in the game with no collision, meaning the walls and everything else are still defined by the walk mesh. The two 3D layers are needed because Cloud stands on one, and the other needs to hide HIM when he passed under it.
Basically all you would be doing is making a bunch of different models, like houses, signs, junk - then giving it all a floor and making it one single, large object to be placed in game.

More clear?
« Last Edit: 2009-03-16 03:33:37 by Tsetra »

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
Re: High Resolution Backgrounds - New Spin on an Old Idea?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-15 18:21:37 »
I am used to work with 3DS Max 2009 Professional- maybe I could help :D

But replacing ALL, OMFG, ALL Backgrounds would be a HUUUUUUUUUGE project...

It won't be too diffucult- but it will cost us MUCH time

But I will help as much as I can :D

Deniz

Crazy Nova

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-15 18:42:45 »
I'm so glad you posted this idea and showed me that thread. Elentor's thinking is correct. Reworking the entire game in such a way would take too much effort. I've been thinking about the possibility of rebuilding the entire opening bombing mission for some time now, as a sort of project demo, rebuilding the engine to higher standards for futher work (the rest of the game). I'm glad that there are others out there who share this idea.

There are only around 10 backgrounds in the opening bombing mission. 10 prerendered backgrounds is definately doable. You should give Elentor a hiring call, he seems very talented. Also, as with backgrounds, there are only a handful of battle/field models in this part of the game.

I'd say it would be far easier to write your own engine than it would be to try and squeeze something like that into FF7's original engine. Still it's a captivating idea, probably the most professional attempt I've yet seen content-wise. Shame Square-Enix would probably crack down on it like a ton of junkies.

It might be an idea to simply port qgears and add to it. At the time of Elentors post, there was no qgears but now we have an engine perfect for this project, though that said, qgears is still very early in development.

a team of 3-4 inc one programmer should cut it.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-15 21:14:37 »
Thanks, but keep in mind I still need just a huge 3d object to test out. Faceted maybe. Doesn't need to be too complex or even textured.
Also, the implementation of these is a bit different. They don't need to be prerendered and turned into 2D, the idea is that they stay 3D and are then placed into the game's field files via Meteor as an object with no collision and correct layers. This will likely require two separate 3D overlays for each level - basically one for Cloud to walk on, and one that will cover him up.

It's definitely a lot of work, make no mistake. A team would be required. I'm just interested in making sure it's 100% possible right now, and if it is and a team is assembled, I'd be more than happy to fiddle with the game and get them in it.

If this DOES work, this opens up Final Fantasy VII to a completely new level of detail. You could pretty much go for as much as you wanted. You wouldn't be able to render shadows or bloom lighting, but you wouldn't need to because the stages never move really. They could be semi-transparent items attached where appropriate on the "master object". Also, ridiculously high detail objects like apzcloud's work would fit in like a champ.

But before hopes get too high, I really could use just a big flat block.  :wink:

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-03-15 21:19:44 »
interesting idea, and if i should get by my current project (remaking character etc. models) then i'd love to help make 3d backgrounds
however! would this work? Can we not improve or get better quality images than what we normally see in game? if so, can't we just put the image on a flat plane and line it up in the background like the game does normally... just with a better image?

magixts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-03-16 00:21:01 »
I was thinking about this a few weeks back when I installed FF7 on my newly formatted and reinstalled pc.

There are basically two ways to approach making the backgrounds look better; either through image enhancement or by replacing the old ones. From my testing and as far as I’m aware there's no image enhancement technique able to improve the quality of the backgrounds by a great extent without at the same time introducing a noticeable amount of artifacts. That only leaves us with replacing the backgrounds.

I haven’t done much research and also don’t know a lot about the 3d or field format being used in-game but from what I can tell there are already a few objects being rendered in 3d (some of the trains in the train graveyard in midgar come to mind).

What strikes me as interesting with replacing all the backgrounds apart from the obvious graphical benefits is that the same content could eventually be reused to an even greater benefit in for example Q-Gears. Maybe this could prove helpful to the giant community effort that would be needed to pull off a full overhaul of the FF7 backgrounds.

As for myself I’m quite busy with school right now but I’m definitely interested in the possibilities of such a project.

kohan69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-03-16 02:24:48 »

Will this work?  :?

this way, people may enhance the 2D backgrounds by hand in photoshop/etc, and then easil be ported as segmented tiles, appearing as one hires 2d bg

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-03-16 02:56:22 »
I'm not sure what you mean... you want to make a grid of 3D objects on the field with the tops textures to appear one dimensional?

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. I don't know how much the game is going to be able to handle, which is why I need a test object to replace something - anything - in the field. Then, we'll need to look into how 3d objects are indexed by FF7 and if there's room to add. If there's not room to add, room needs to be made. I know the files themselves are held in char.lgp, but what I don't know is how the game assigns each object a number. The kernel? ff7.exe itself?

Once that info is down it might become more clear as to whether there's a more efficient way than placing huge 3D objects in the field to hide the 2D or not.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 2009-03-16 03:03:27 »
The problem is the background is made up of a grid of small (32x32?) pictures stitched together.

What we should do is find the function that loads the individual squares and have it load larger squares.

The backgrounds can be re-done very easy. Just trace them out using Sketchup and recast the texture.

Look here
« Last Edit: 2009-03-16 03:11:39 by halkun »

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-03-16 03:25:49 »
Added an Edit2 on my first post, hopefully that clears up what I'm talking about here.

kohan69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-03-16 08:14:41 »
The problem is the background is made up of a grid of small (32x32?) pictures stitched together.
Oh really? I was suggesting to do that using simple polygons with different textures (as provided in my crappy illustration in prior post)

What we should do is find the function that loads the individual squares and have it load larger squares.

The backgrounds can be re-done very easy. Just trace them out using Sketchup and recast the texture.

Look here
right-ounnnn

Does the game use a simple Z-buffer to pring the field models in front of the texture? if so, then an entirely new 'game engine' could be be used to plug in instead of prerendered textures
« Last Edit: 2009-03-16 08:23:28 by kohan69 »

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-03-16 10:43:23 »
Hi, wouldn't it be easier to have 2d polygons over the top of the field bacground using a new background image as the top texture?

Crazy Nova

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-03-16 12:09:04 »
It seems like a really, really time consuming way of adding better content. Surely it'd be easier to just remake every scene with a pre rendered background with the qgears engine?

You mean to enhance the PC version.

Dude, the PC version fails. LOL (sorry, i had to)

Please consider building on qgears as an alternative. Gqears uses content primarily from PSX version which we all know is much more rock steady.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-03-16 13:04:28 »

Yeah, no doubt that's why so many people are modding it.

Go make sh*t for Q-Gears, then. That's not what this topic is discussing. Hard to make stuff for something that isn't even finished, isn't it? Exactly. There's a good reason that after all these years and countless topics on the matter, there's still not a SINGLE release for higher resolution backgrounds. This may be the only way.

Also, the PSX version is fickle as all hell. Just ask ff7rules, he has to fight with it constantly. It's even more limited than the PC version when it comes to models.

Good luck to you.  :roll:

Clearly there's no interest in this here, so I guess enjoy all the new character models coming out over top pixelated backgrounds. If anybody gets serious and realizes I'm not joking when I say this could be the only way, feel free to use the idea.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-16 13:06:43 by Tsetra »

Crazy Nova

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-03-16 14:04:12 »
by 'it fails', i meant the general crap port from the psx, though it was a meant light-hearted you can take it as you want.

NameSpoofer

« Reply #15 on: 2009-03-16 15:38:28 »
Do you guys remember the train graveyard? ( after don corneo send them down )

There are trains that cloud has to jump in and move them. They are 3D objects. The other trains are just background image.

I suggest use meteor and open that field file to see how they do it.

magixts

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-03-16 15:54:32 »

Yeah, no doubt that's why so many people are modding it.

Go make sh*t for Q-Gears, then. That's not what this topic is discussing. Hard to make stuff for something that isn't even finished, isn't it? Exactly. There's a good reason that after all these years and countless topics on the matter, there's still not a SINGLE release for higher resolution backgrounds. This may be the only way.

Also, the PSX version is fickle as all hell. Just ask ff7rules, he has to fight with it constantly. It's even more limited than the PC version when it comes to models.

Good luck to you.  :roll:

Clearly there's no interest in this here, so I guess enjoy all the new character models coming out over top pixelated backgrounds. If anybody gets serious and realizes I'm not joking when I say this could be the only way, feel free to use the idea.
I don't think Crazy Nova's lack of interest qualifies as indication of the community’s view as a whole.

It certainly possible to add new backgrounds to the game and while the approach you're taking may or may not work (which I can't help you answer) there are numerous other ways to go about it. If we really wanted we could turn FF7 into Quake but it would of course take a lot of hard work which goes to say that anything is possible as long as you have the knowledge and time to invest in the project.

My approach to adding new backgrounds to the game would likely take a different route by separating the new content from the old as to avoid any limitations in the original code and instead focusing on making changes to the game assembly to handle the new content.

I'd much rather see new backgrounds being rendered in-game than pre-rendered backgrounds for obvious reasons and while pre-rendered backgrounds likely are the easier approach it’s a tradeoff between difficulty of implementation and quality of the end result that really only can be made through greater understanding of the technical aspects of both approaches.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-03-17 02:14:42 »
There are trains that cloud has to jump in and move them. They are 3D objects. The other trains are just background image.

I suggest use meteor and open that field file to see how they do it.

I'm already at that point, actually. I already know HOW to do it. I just don't have the resources needed to insert into the game. Need willing modelers. I've got some discussions going on at other forums as well seeing if anyone is interested.

I'm going to see if I can't get people willing to model the first reactor mission and make an "advertising demo" of sorts out of it to draw in more people to the project if it picks up. I've still got to sort out the index issue, but I don't see that being as big a deal as some of the other indexes the game uses thankfully.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-17 02:17:11 by Tsetra »

koral

« Reply #18 on: 2009-03-17 14:38:44 »
I agree with magixts that many of us here are very interested in what you are planning, and would like to see some way of improving the quality of the backgrounds, without the huge amounts of time-comitment that would be required.

You will always find yourself restricted by the poor game engine in some way or another, but your tests should show us how feasible this method would be, as far as time is concerned.
There aren't many other alternatives, so its worth a shot.
 :wink:

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-03-20 02:58:11 »
If you do this my friend i will consider you GOD and warship you! haha :-D

I wish you luck, I would love to help you, But i have no experience in coding and 3d design, If someone can coach me (i'm currently looking for guide) i would love to help you!

EDIT: Well i don't know if someone already did this, But i got 3DS MAX yesterday, And i made that big red block you requested :D

Here is the link: http://files.filefront.com/Blockmax/;13516144;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: 2009-03-23 17:22:20 by hellbringer616 »

aljnx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-04-10 21:31:19 »
This, to me, seems like a great idea.The only limits I can think of are that the game might lag some, and it might take up a massive amount of space. The new "backgrounds" could to be generally low poly, though. Shouldn't be to much of a problem.
If you need any modelers I would be glad to help, I have a considerable amount of free time on my hands on the weekends, almost 24 hours.