Final Fantasy 9 > FF9 Graphical Releases

[FF9 PC] FMV upscaling & 30fps project

<< < (2/5) > >>

thebrokepope:
P.S the 30fps sample certainly does not look "crap" to my eyes! It looks just fine. I actually can't think of any precedence for pre-rendered CGI being done at 60fps.

snouz:
I agree with Brokenpope on 30fps. Looks definitely better than the original 15, but 60fps looks uncanny.

Lykon:
Yeah, I'm also in for 30 fps. It fits the game better and it's acceptable if you don't watch it right after you've watched the 60 fps one.
By "crap" I was referring to the zoom in effect in particular. The worst however was the scene change. More on that below.

New test on DAIN scene change detection
Here you have the same video in 4 files:
- upscaled from 320x224 (nearest),
- upscaled from 640x448 (nearest),
- upscaled from 640x448 with DAIN applied without scene change detection,
- upscaled from 640x448 with DAIN applied with scene change detection -> new

The best one is by far the last one (of course, upscaled from 640x448, it's by far the best version).

https://mega.nz/file/BVdA1IAL#Q-iHqM5QdwBx6dXuZnARDK_qIHbPBOtOZR-xVDfhVaY
password is my name lowercase as usual.
EDIT: forgot to convert to ogv, but it doesn't really matter since the purpose of this test is not to check what happens in the game.

I've also devised a strategy for background blending.

for MBG:

- color correction to match the final (or initial) static scene
- downscale nearest to 640x480 (mbg101 is the only one that needs to be 320x224 because of the character models)
- zoom waifu2x and zoom esrgan (2 different video outputs) to 1280x896
- blending of the 2 videos (before or after depending on the scene) -----> this is yet to be tested, should produce fine results in theory
- DAIN x2 (if we manage to fix the script)

For FMV:

- DAIN x2

Caledor:
Syncing issue with 30 or 60 FPS videos:
Increasing the frame rate of videos makes the field models start moving earlier, as one can easily see for themselves with the Alexandria videos uploaded here.

What prompts the actual field models to start moving is a check within the field script. For example, with the Alexandria video, field is "Alexandria/Main Street"

Function Vivi_Loop, we can see the following:

--- Quote ---        if ( VAR_GlobBool_146 == 0 ) {
            Wait( 1 )
        } else {
            while ( ( GetCinematicFrame < 100) && ( ( SyncCinematic & 127 ) != 1 ) ) {
                Wait( 1 )
            }
        }

--- End quote ---

That GetCinematicFrame is the threshold. Double it for 30 FPS videos or x4 with 60 FPS video.

Lykon:

--- Quote from: Caledor on 2020-05-14 15:30:54 ---Syncing issue with 30 or 60 FPS videos:
Increasing the frame rate of videos makes the field models start moving earlier, as one can easily see for themselves with the Alexandria videos uploaded here.

What prompts the actual field models to start moving is a check within the field script. For example, with the Alexandria video, field is "Alexandria/Main Street"

Function Vivi_Loop, we can see the following:

That GetCinematicFrame is the threshold. Double it for 30 FPS videos or x4 with 60 FPS video.

--- End quote ---

Nice one. Can't we simply do

--- Code: ---GetCinematicFrame / 2
--- End code ---

?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version