Author Topic: Xenogears Model Modernizing  (Read 5124 times)

Mitch

• View Profile
Xenogears Model Modernizing
« on: 2013-12-27 02:06:21 »
Hey all, been a while since I've posted anything here...years heh.

Anyway, I was taking a look into the Xenogears model/animation formats for fun over xmas and decided to write some tools to help bring them into a more modern structure for use in Unity or like engines with strong retargeting systems (Mecanim in this case).

I've also worked a bit on re-compositing textures since they're broken into multiple palettes of what I guess are technically "texels" that I've only been able to identify combining the palette-shifted regions of the textures based on the models UV map into a single texture.  That was a mouthful...

Crushing all of the meshes/submeshes into a single skinned mesh takes a little bit of manual labor in a 3D package (Lightwave in my case) but is pretty painless.

http://www.xdtech.net/xg/anim.html
(animations are generic mocap data retargeted using Mecanim - not from xenogears data)

Recomposited Weltall texture

Anyway, if someone could ask someone about the rules here,  is it appropriate to post the post-processed and rigged FBX of Weltall as well?  I dont want to step on any Square copyright laws.

DeadManInBlack

• View Profile
Re: Xenogears Model Modernizing
« Reply #1 on: 2013-12-27 21:13:23 »
I never thought I would see the day of Xenogears being worked on, I think the gears still look fairly good despite the age but I would love to see this game touched up a little it is still my joint favourite with FFVII. Nice work   ;D

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-02 10:04:57 »
I did some stuff with Xenogears and Unity3D as well: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13887.msg194889#msg194889
(Apparently you have to use "Save As..." to save the package as the web browser may try to open it as a document.)
(New version! Check the thread.)

« Last Edit: 2014-01-02 13:45:14 by Micky »

Mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-02 20:10:54 »
So I saw :)   I definitely referenced your and Akari's work!

Most of my efforts were toward conversion toward a modern-GPU conversion for the models (ie:  no crazy palette shifted textures) and it seems that most of the meshes are conducive to this.  I wasn't able to make heads or tails out of the field textures in any automate-able way though ;(

Can I contact you via Skype or gtalk or some such?  I'd love to chat about this stuff :)

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-04 09:46:44 »
Most of my efforts were toward conversion toward a modern-GPU conversion for the models (ie:  no crazy palette shifted textures) and it seems that most of the meshes are conducive to this.  I wasn't able to make heads or tails out of the field textures in any automate-able way though ;(
Yeah, the psx data is not very appropriate for modern gpu. For best result you'll probably have to make new uv charts and resample from the old ones. Or even remodel, like the Project Noah guy.
Can I contact you via Skype or gtalk or some such?  I'd love to chat about this stuff :)
Which time zone are you in? Though I think most of my stuff is already documented, and Akari is probably ahead of me anyway. I spend my time at the moment to develop something of my own.
(Though if Squeenix feels like they need a mobile/XBLA/PSN/WiiU/3DS version of Xenogears, I am available for hire!)
« Last Edit: 2014-01-04 15:36:48 by Micky »