Author Topic: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*  (Read 193683 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identify World Map Textures!
« Reply #100 on: 2009-09-09 21:31:23 »
the sand could use a bit more noise, in the monochromatic ranges, some darker speckles n some lighter ones

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2009-09-09 21:36:17 »
the sand could use a bit more noise, in the monochromatic ranges, some darker speckles n some lighter ones
exactly what i was thinking as well.  Right now i have a good base texture that i can use for the deserts and beaches.  I gotta be very judical in the use of noise though, these already start to look very "static-y" from a distance due to the way the engine renders the world map.  So long as i can find a happy medium it should be alright.  The original sand i came up with looked great in the editor, but it was too complicated for the game to handle and it just tiled horribly. too many light/dark areas are very noticable once the game applies them to the world.

And this mod will have absolutly no effect on any towns, encounters, ports, caves, or anything else on the world map.  All it does is swap the old textures for new ones, everything else functions as before.

lee

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2009-09-09 21:38:32 »
I love the transition from grass to sand.. that looks great!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2009-09-09 22:43:15 »
I think that the Corel desert has always been quite rocky (this is certainly the case in the Corel prison, but maybe not in the Ruby Weapon fight); I think that in a lot of deserts there's more bare rock than sand dunes.

And also:

Its already quite grainy if ya ask me....  :lol:

:-D

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2009-09-09 22:50:10 »

The transition texture has more texture than the sand. The desert has sand dunes all over. That can be seen from the sky. So maybe you could generate a cloud texture, that would simulate sand dunes?

my original texture looked very similar to this one, and it generated a very noisy pattern ingame.  the directional nature of it also made for some areas that stood out very noticably, since they went the opposite direction from the texture surrounding them.  I agree that it could look better, but i'm very limited in what i can and can't do with these textures.  I would love more detail as well, but it simply doesn't work well without blurring them down.

Also, the desert floor is the same texture as the transitional one, you just can't see the detail from where I was at.

lee

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #105 on: 2009-09-09 22:52:50 »
Wow. Absolutely wow. And I agree with titeguy3 on this one.
I love the transition from grass to sand.. that looks great!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2009-09-09 23:25:27 »
Not to be overly critical but it looks like clouds. Need to add some grain to that texture

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2009-09-10 01:36:18 »

i had the same idea you did hermoor.  I created this 2 days ago, but it looks terrible ingame.  To much contrast between light/dark, even though it does look like sand.  I'll keep working on the new one and hopefully i can make it a bit better.

lee

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2009-09-10 02:11:53 »
there is too many noticeable light/dark areas, it'll tear ingame. releif has to be done through noise, or very subtle base color variations

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2009-09-10 03:23:49 »
Tremendous amounts of noise would probably not look bad in something already as gritty and messy as sand.

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2009-09-10 07:16:52 »
Amazing...I' ll take back what I said eariler..this is a Seriously Sandy issue..

You got me at:

a small shot of the progress on the sand.  It's still a bit noisy but it fits nicely with my grass texture.  I've still got to do the animated portion, but i have a good idea of what i want to happen there.  Hopefully it looks good in the end.

Also, to explain my name the best i can:
I wanted a unique handle that i knew no one would ever think of(i hate that).  Basically fire/pyro=chaos and zen=peace.  Though costa07's is pretty good too, i never actually though about it that hard.  Anyways, I soley owned the name for about 13 years and never saw anyone else have the name.... that is until i found these a-holes....

http://www.pyrozen.com/

bastards even stole my domain!  I have no idea if they saw me and took the name.... but i have my suspicions.... bastards
lee

If you want to really simulate the actual animations of a sand..then go look for a real one and put it in a large box and pour it ....
The actual sand ingame is kinda blotchy...So it may have been rocky sand dunes. or similar to a beach type..

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2009-09-12 15:46:24 »
sand is finished for the most part.  I went for a more subtle effect on the movement of the sand.  It's noticable ingame but not obnoxious like the original was.  Also, no lag from using 4 PNGs to create the animation either!

I also caught a big error i had made in a few old textures as well.  I had been upsizing everything by x8, but had only gone x4 on a few big terxtures.  Once i fix them it should solve all of the mismatching problems i've been having.

lee

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2009-09-12 15:52:33 »
MAN!This looks awesome!
Really GREAT work!

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2009-09-12 16:16:33 »
pyrozen, I must say I very impressed with your work. It really breathes new life to that old pile of polygons. Very good job, and looking forward to see the final result.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2009-09-12 16:33:27 »
Is it only me, or has that desert increased a bit in size. It looks much bigger. But it looks awesome as well!! :-D

It looks about the same size to me. Its just that when in highwind the game is at a more of a side view angle then when you are running around

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2009-09-12 16:34:52 »
it might be a hair larger than before, but not much more than that. I added the strands of sand to make it seem more natural, and it also makes it seem a bit larger as well.

I also just finished the gound under the golden saucer, it looks much better now.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2009-09-12 16:40:47 »
it might be a hair larger than before, but not much more than that. I added the strands of sand to make it seem more natural, and it also makes it seem a bit larger as well.

I also just finished the gound under the golden saucer, it looks much better now.

Let me know when you are ready to do a release, even a partial. Ill add it to what we have already and throw up a new beta

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2009-09-12 16:53:21 »
sounds good.  I'll have to get all my TEX files together, i havn't really been keeping track of what i have and havn't used. There were also a few TEXs that looked so similar it didn't make sense to have 2 textures, so they both use the same one.  I have to figure out how many times i did that  :roll:

I ALSO have to go back and redo all of my TEX files since i want the entire world map reconstruction project (now called WMRP) to be located in one folder in /textures, with the various sub-directories underneath it.  Will make things much easier to use once more people get the hang of texture injection.  We don't want people releasing mods that just dump PNGs into our /textures folder now do we :-D

lee

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2009-09-12 16:56:05 »
Lovin the new sand :D

What happened to rocky cliff things that were in there though? I always thought they were small mountains haha

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2009-09-12 16:57:39 »
sounds good.  I'll have to get all my TEX files together, i havn't really been keeping track of what i have and havn't used. There were also a few TEXs that looked so similar it didn't make sense to have 2 textures, so they both use the same one.  I have to figure out how many times i did that  :roll:

I ALSO have to go back and redo all of my TEX files since i want the entire world map reconstruction project (now called WMRP) to be located in one folder in /textures, with the various sub-directories underneath it.  Will make things much easier to use once more people get the hang of texture injection.  We don't want people releasing mods that just dump PNGs into our /textures folder now do we :-D

lee

Nooooo, if you noticed i have sorted all mine out as well

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2009-09-12 17:04:18 »
mine are all sorted into different terrains ATM: desert, mud, grass, towns, etc....
But i would prefer to have them ALL under one directory named World Map.  I'm also an anal bastard about file organization though :D
For the time being, I would like to keep our releases separate since some people might not be too keen on loading up a half finished world map. 

I'm starting to reorganize my files right now, so hopefully i can get a beta out sometime this weekend.

lee

*edit* well, i've done the normal forest, but i need to do the tropical one still.  I havn't found a good base online yet but i'm looking.  Right now i'm kinda going over what i've already finished and making sure i don't have to make a pass at everything once i'm actually done. I've got a few small grass and mud texture to finish up, then i'll probably move to the northern continent.

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2009-09-12 17:31:58 »
Is that the Sahara desert?... :-o

This is freakin huge!!....Now I'm..*drools* ... wanting a...

Release this Gracefully made mod...please!...

I thought you weren't gonna touch the Golden Saucer grounds..But you already fixed that so..
Keep it up!! Hopefully GUI beta 9 will be available!!! soon... :lol:

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2009-09-12 18:46:44 »
This is starting to look ridiculously good.
Thanks for taking your time on this to make sure everything looks right, it has clearly paid off!

I think I'm going to go ahead and stop playing FF7 (since I just left Midgar), and wait until you finish.  Just amazing..

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalance: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #123 on: 2009-09-12 22:03:49 »
I'm currently working on some of the 3d models for the world map, when they're done they should be backed in with the texture upgrades! (if thats okay with you, its all under the avalanche name)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: *Team Avalance: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*
« Reply #124 on: 2009-09-12 23:11:11 »
That's fine with me, just let me know which ones you plan on replacing so i don't waste time re-texturing them.  Just for compatibility sake, please leave the ground underneath towns and such alone if at all possible.  I am retextuing them as well and could easily match them to your new models.

lee