Author Topic: Forget about FFX. FFXI is the real thing!  (Read 9335 times)

vvalentine

• View Profile
Forget about FFX. FFXI is the real thing!
« on: 2002-01-16 20:28:00 »
FFX is not in my sight anymore, and since they are not going to release a PC version I'm not going to worry.  I'll buy it by the time that there's a PS2 emulator.  It helps square, and it screws sony.  Plus, the game should be cheaper then.  

The game that I'm waiting for to come out is FFXI.  The previews are sweet.  Check it:

FFXI previews

It makes me want to definately save money to buy a more powerful PC, get DSL, and to pay $10 a month for the game.  Supposedly there is also going to be an arcade version.  There was some rumor that there was going to be a use of zip disks.  You would be able to save the data from a PC, a PS2, or an arcade.  
In this game you will not be able to control the party, but you can be a leader in a party.  This means that you control your own character, and that if you are the one that forms the party you get to be the leader.  As the leader you can give orders and the party can follow you (which may cause problems).  There can be a maximum of 6 members on a team, but there can be a maximum of 3 teams allied.  This is good when you attack powerful monsters.  Also, you can modify your character to make it look like whatever you want.
Cool huh.  This game supposedly is guaranteed not to be the same as Ultima or Phantasy Star Online.

-vvalentine

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-16 21:12:00 »
there have been rumors that there will be no monthly fee. but even if there is, ill definitely buy it.

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-16 21:24:00 »
No monthly fees to be registered on PlayOnline.  Monthly fees to use the services.

-vvalentine

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #3 on: 2002-01-17 02:52:00 »
yay... Pay to Play... Gotta hate that.

Even so, I have no doubts that a lot of us are gonna form "Clans", to borrow the FPS term, and ally with each other. It seems to me it's going to be Everquest meets the Final Fantasy world. I probably won't buy it until 1) I here what you guys think of it, 2) I get a REAL job, 3) I get DSL or something.

In the meantime, what have you heard about FFXII?

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2002-01-17 07:18:00 »
FFXII probably is going to be both offline and online, according to rumors.  That is all the info I got, and a photo.

FFXII pic?

There is also a page in Japanese, but I don't understand it.

FF japanese web site

And, there could be an FFX sequel.

Also, square is planning on teaming up with nintendo again.

-vvalentine

J*** H*******

« Reply #5 on: 2002-01-17 11:32:00 »
Message.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #6 on: 2002-01-17 21:25:00 »
<Long Rant>

Sony makes its money on the memory cards, extra controllers and any other accessory they sell. More than likely they are also doing the licensiing that Jari was talking about. (I haven't heard if this, but I don't doubt it.)

But here's what doesn't make sense to me:

Computers & online multiplayer go hand in hand. It's been proven though the follies of games like Phantasy Star Online that online-console games simply do not work, while the online-PC games thrive. Squaresoft knows this, which is why FFXI is coming to PC.

But they shunned us (the computer users) by not releasing FFIX or FFX on PC, and now they expect us to buy their "latest" creation? A creation which it's majority profits will come from the computer users? (Not counting the $10 service charge.) I for one, am going to boycott the PC edition. (I might play the PS2 version if someone else buys it and pays the service charge.) But as a game, the PC edition will fail, and miserably. Sure, it'll get a lot of attention, be called the greatest online game ever, but the true FF fans will shun this pathetic attempt by Squaresoft.

If they don't see the need to publish FFIX and/or FFX on PC, why should we buy FFXII which promises no real story by comparison?

</Long Rant>

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-01-17 22:14:00 »
This is very true.  Even though I would like to buy FFXI, it would go against my beliefs (anarchist beliefs).  I don't care if FFIX doesn't come out on PC, there are PS emulators for it.  

The thing about FFXI is that supposedly is going to have a story, unlike other online games.  Still, I would like for square to release FFX on PC.

-vvalentine

Intel-Xeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2002-01-18 03:40:00 »
What the hell? You delete anything I post about emulation but other people's posts don't get deleted. You guys all suck. Screw this.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #9 on: 2002-01-18 04:23:00 »
I agree with Jari.  I will NOT buy FFXI, I probably won't even ever play it.  Final Fantasies are not meant to be online games.  They are meant to be single player Console (or ports to the PC of) RPGs.  Plus, I refuse to pay a monthly fee to continue playing a game I already purchased.

Square, in their big headed-ness, is becoming more and more worthless.  I hope FFXI fails miserablely . . . not that it would cause Square to realize their mistake, though . . .

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-01-18 20:51:00 »
it's sort of "back to FFIX vs. FFX".

back when FFIX was first released so many copies of the game were sold square made a HUGE profit. because of that they could have totaly bombed out FFX and still been in the black. well FFX didn't faii and now they have FFIX+FFX profits AND a huge consumer base. so the idea that square will relinquesh the "Pay-to-play" aspect of FFXI is very minial. maybe when FFXII rolls around they might get the idea.
[edited] 275 2002-01-18 21:52

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2002-01-18 20:57:00 »
I think FFX only sold 2 million copies worldwide. If my memory is correct, that is below expected sales.

You're also leaving out TSW, which totally bombed at the box office.

FFXI may also require the PS2 Hard Drive ( About time :D ) Which will cut down sales.

Not many good moves from Square.

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2002-01-18 21:10:00 »
I think it would be more acceptable if square sold FFXI (regular price $55) with 1 year free of PlayOnline.

As for the multiplayer subject.  I personally  would like to control my own character.  

BTW, what happened to the stupid thread that Intel-Itanium posted?
You know, the one that was asking for qhimm.  Man, that thread beats the usual crap that Joey posts.

-vvalentine
[edited] 213 2002-01-18 22:11

J*** H*******

« Reply #13 on: 2002-01-18 22:13:00 »
Message.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2002-01-20 17:31:00 »
vvalentine: a year seems a bit over the top. if they want profit maybe 2 months. it's actualy longer than it seems. but i bet it's gonna be 1 month or maybe even 1/2 a month

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #15 on: 2002-01-20 20:45:00 »
I say, the best thing to do is sell it with a 3 or 6 month subscription. That's long enough for the users to get use to it, and get hooked. I think that 1 or 2 months are gonna be it, but not much else. Sadly, that's not nearly the ammount of time they need to get used to everything, explore the world, and make enough friends for it to be interesting enough to get hooked on.

As for the multiplayer: They've had multiplayer FF before. FF6 for example. It was multi-player, but not in the way it's commonly known. Basicly, the 2nd player could be assigned control of characters during a battle seqence.

Personally I love the idea of developing your own personal character. I think it's VERY innovative. It could be fun! (I'll make my guy look like Sephiroth!)

However, I think that the only things that REALLY gonna kill FFXI is: 1) The Pay-to-Play and 2) PC users who will shun it because of a lack of FF PC games (IX & X) &/or PC game support. (VII & VIII)

Both of these are the reasons I am boycotting FFXI.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]
[edited] 135 2002-01-20 21:47

MMiller8

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2002-01-20 21:13:00 »
The thing that really has me on pins and needles (pardon the cliche) about this game is the fact that I don't think it will have a good story.  I really can't imagie how the hell they'd do that, and it scares me because that is what I love so much about FF.  I will buy it, and subscribe to it, but I am still worried.  Also:  Mayhap (I know it's [sic], but its funny!) if they saw good sales on it, they would make X for the PC?  Mayhap [sic]?  Mayhap [sic]?

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2002-01-21 00:27:00 »
seph: you know that FFXI has a very good port-to-pc value. if they made the playonline server pc/ps2 compatible then they would have thoes "PC users who will shun it because of a lack of FF PC games (IX & X) &/or PC game support. (VII & VIII)". i think the everquest/ultima online crowd will buy the game.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2002-01-21 15:18:00 »
Yes, PC MMORPGs (EQ, DaoC, UO, AO) generally do better than console MMORPGs (PSO)

and there would probably be a compatibility between the PC and the PS2 versions, like Unreal Tournament.
[edited] 249 2002-01-21 16:18

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #19 on: 2002-01-22 00:01:00 »
Actually the on-line game that is hitting the mainstream, right now. Is Camelot. I read a review on it....and it even looks good to me. And I'm about as pessimistic and cautious, as you  can get.

http://www.cgonline.com/http://www.cgonline.com/news/020117-01-n1.html
[edited] 65 2002-01-22 01:05

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2002-01-22 17:01:00 »
i have a friend that has Dark Ago of Camelot. I'm even thinking about getting it before it gets too big. it's still 3 months old or so, so the game isn't too full yet.