Author Topic: Just yoinked an PSX version from garage sale. So PSX or PC?  (Read 7117 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Which do you think is better for modding projects? Also if you do answer PSX then what is a good sandbox program for windows os?

Which of these is best to eventually take apart for things like q-gears or trying to check/change game modules to see if we can do things like say, edit or add an area?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Which do you think is better for modding projects? Also if you do answer PSX then what is a good sandbox program for windows os?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sandbox'.

Which of these is best to eventually take apart for things like q-gears or trying to check/change game modules to see if we can do things like say, edit or add an area?

Probably the PC version. There's a lot of resources out there for taking apart x86 applications. There's a nice, single executable that everything is bound to and there's a lot of mods available you can study and reverse engineer.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sandbox'.
Sorry *chuckle* run an emulator for PSgames on a windows system. I used to have bleem but that CD and company is far gone and lost.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
ePSXe, best PS1 emulator out there to my knowledge.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
pSX is pretty damn good, and easy to set up. ePSXe is usually more compatible, but harder to use.

obesebear

• View Profile
This isn't tech related.  Moved and warned.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
ePSXe is usually more compatible, but harder to use.
It's actually the other way around. pSX has an actual emulation core, while ePSXe is only a gigantic pile of hacks to make specific games boot and work. In fact, if you try playing some of those obscure japanese games, in most cases they will barely boot at all (did anybody say Parodius!?).

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
In my experience, popular games seem to work far better on epsxe. Namely the FF games, they have trouble on pSX.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
The answer is again the same: specific hacks. ePSXe's emulation core is rotten to the... core.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
pSX works fine for me with all games I have tried including ff7.  EPSXE is, like Gemini said, a rotten apple.  pSX seems to work better on some games also when using the -r switch.

Also Gemini, have you heard anything from the author?  Is he still working on pSX?
« Last Edit: 2011-02-09 18:27:27 by DLPB »

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
Re: Just yoinked an PSX version from garage sale. So PSX or PC?
« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-09 23:06:33 »
Haven't seen him online in several months. :/ All I know is that he was working on 1.14 for MacOS, but it's still WIP.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-10 00:03:55 »
I think it's also worth remembering pSX's inbuilt debugging tools.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-10 16:34:58 »
Well IDK about you guys, but Ive only used the newest epsxe builds and I have to say I have never found a game that didnt run at great(60-130) frame rate with filters and everything without hacks.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-10 18:21:59 »
The hacks are in the emulation core, it's not something you ought to enable and they are totally invisible to the user.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-10 21:03:08 »
Ooops I thought you meant the speedhacks and game specific hacks in the menu under special game fixes within your video plugins configure option.