Author Topic: Warnings and etc  (Read 18660 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Warnings and etc
« on: 2011-02-08 02:00:16 »
This isn't tech related.  Moved and warned.
oook. I disagree since I'm trying to figure out which is better to work with since the PC version is for the most part, a conversion of the playstation files to barely work on the computer end where as playstation is harder to mod.
Would you please care to explain why you think it was not tech related and even if I agree that you are correct, why I should get a warning when I used my best judgement of where a topic on the inner workings of FF7 psx/PC goes. I believe that is a bit unfair when all that was required was a subject move. I haven't made repeat offenses so it isn't like that is an excuse.
I'm not made, I'm not downcasting your decision, I'm just wondering what your processing was for this event.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 04:16:24 by obesebear »

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Rules, and etc
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-08 02:35:31 »
Tech related is for discovering things about the workings of games (Final Fantasy, Xenogears, etc).   I've moved some topics to their appropriate place and i've left some where they are because I'm too lazy/annoyed to move them.
Basically, I'm tired of keeping this place organized, so you get to be the example of sorts.  So maybe, just maybe, more threads will be created where they are supposed to be.

Also, we can give out warnings for whatever reason as long as we deem it to be in the best interest of the forum.  There was a time not too long ago when at least 75% of the people here were warned/moderated.

Also, you are mad, and it's obvious.. calling me out in public and whatnot.  Your warning will go away in a few days, and I promise all of your internet friends will still like you.

/bad day

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-08 03:24:27 »

Sorry you had a bad day. And no I was not calling you out in public or being mad. Just trying to figure out what was going on. This whole public thing was initially just me being a dunderhead going "Huh, ok what happened?" and typing there and then.

I've been trying to read the wiki on the differences between the PC and the PSX version and this thread is basically about which one is better for modding. PC is easier just cause we have so many programs yes. But I'm questioning if it would be better to try and take apart the psx version.

So basically I'm trying to find out which set of resources to use. Files on the PC version or Files on Playstation version. Basically the internal workings of either version which would be better to work with to gain a final product/mod. You know like how Q-Gears was supposed to use the resources from FF7 CD's just with a new engine. Which resources would be better to work with in the long run or should I consider just leaving things moduler?

So let me see. I disagree and was in the right catagory. You for whatever reason, don't even want to bother taking a breather when you are having a bad day and picking on the little guy. You admitted the bad day part yourself. Qhimm is not a job, it's a passtime. Take a break, have a beer, unwind before making decisions. Cause now what has happened is that you made me out to be an example of, you misunderstanding a thread, trying to put up a sign to other users to not do something that I didn't even do in the first place, and still providing enough quotes and statements to show you are in a bad mood and want to take it out on someone.

I'm here trying to help you guys do stuff that hell, most of you wouldn't bet to touch on. Why, I get paid enough doing security work to sit on my ass at home all day to either teach myself stuff, work on FF7 stuff, or draw. So I could either try to help, or just go off and do my own thing. So why attack me on all the little questions I have to ask.

First post I was just curious, after your last post, now I'm annoyed. But I stepped away and am in control. I'm not calling you names, insulting your intelligence, doing anything uncalled for. Basically how I read your post is someone kicked your dog and you're doing stuff you don't want to do. I'm just pointing out that you need to hit your pause button, meaning go have a beer, smoke, do whatever it takes to chill out. Look in the mirror and think how it'll be seen from the other side of the deal before making a decision. This isn't a battle, you have the time to do that. That's the lesson I had to learn with that incident with my "Aggressive behavior" towards another member on this board. At that time, I believed that was called for just as much as you believe giving me a warning was.

I'm putting this up and out in public not to throw this whole incident on you. Yes perhaps I worded my thread where you thought it meant different then what I'm thinking and understanding so we're probably going to have to but heads on that so at this point, that subject will be null and void. But what I am requesting is that everyone, all members that do read this, take the time to step away from the computer if you are angry. Do something to relax yourself. Then go back and respond.

I can predict quite a few responses I can get. Up to you, I wipe my hands of it. That's my point of view, need not to rinse and repeat past this.

A smirnoff helped, but by god I want two cigs right now. Horrible year to have quit.

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Rules and etc
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-08 04:16:10 »
Dude, just chill a bit.  This is the internet.. something happening on a Final Fantasy forum should not drive you to need a drink and have a smoke.  Sometimes people have to be made the example of, this time it happened to be you.

Let me describe the pros of what warning you has done:  Any of the dozens of new guys who are around will see what happened to you and try to really think about where they should put posts, and hell if we're lucky they may even browse the rules!  Now for the cons of what warning you has done (initially): you have a little green thing under your user info that says "watched" for like 2 weeks.  And finally what the cons are after the initial warning phase: you've gotten upset and even taken your own thread off topic (see: grounds for a warning).  Yes there were/are much better examples of people posting in completely wrong places, but yours happened to be the thread I decided needed moving and was the final straw.  It's either warn the occasional member when multiples of the same mistake are being made (this way everyone notices and quits temporarily), or warn everyone constantly which wastes a lot of my time and also causes a lot of complaints.

I realize being a moderator looks like I'm some sort of supernatural He-Man, a king...a GOD even ;-) but really I'm just a dude who does basically the same stuff everyone else here does day to day.  Except when I log on here I also have the added task of keeping things orderly.

Split and moved to Completely Unrelated.

TL;DR the internet isn't serious business.   

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Re: Warnings and etc
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-08 05:32:42 »
The drinking and smoking we just examples of taking a break. Besides I'm having a cranky day too and that is how I chose to deal with it.

I'll just stick with my old post and of the same opinion. But let me state something clearly, I think you are a coward that won't fess up to doing something stupid. This is not using me as a warning board and if you honestly think all that you posted, you are f*ckin trippin snorting bullsh*t.

And no, I don't have respect for you. I don't have to show respect just cause you've got your highseat and want to show off just like any moronic teacher, politician, boss or just an idiot in charge in general. Fine you're right, sure after two weeks the sign disappears and all this is over. But I think it's rude and wrong that I got it in the first place because you want to "make an example". Of what, you being an ahole when you want to be. Cause that is all you have proven. On no grounds was my thread wrong, nor did I deserve a warning.

I have respect for certain members of this board and staying on board with helping out in trying to crack the game. But I'll call you a sh*thead while I do it. And if you have a problem with me and want to do something about it, I'll just take it higher then you authority. I'll just put it out in public so that I can continually spit in your face and let everyone see it. Cause that is what I'd be doing in real life. Feel proud that you can hide behind a computer. But I will eventually drag you're worthless ass out in the light for everyone to spit at. So you can either toss me out, or prep for war sh*thead. Cause along with my ff7 projects, I'm commin gunnin to get you removed from your moderator position.
=================================
Oh and before you start whining about how hard it is to be a moderator or that I don't know what a moderator does. Guess what, I run a guild in guild wars, 4 on gaiaonline, admin on my own forum, so on so forth. One of my recent issues was one of my moderators who like you was a hard worker but not always the brightest guy. I had to threaten to kick him out, for trying to delete his ex wifes account cause he was having a spat with her. He's lucky he didn't know I modded the board so that everything is put in a temp folder and has to be looked at by me before being deleted. He's taken the problem off the board and hasn't tried pulling bull since. I know how to moderate and admin. I do not cute any moderators or adminastrators any slack for being moronic.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 05:44:19 by Furzball »

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-08 06:01:45 »
I run 4 guilds on gaiaonline

So you take the online world too seriously, got it.

Seriously dude, chill, you're getting way fucking out of line.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-08 07:00:22 »
I run 4 guilds on gaiaonline

So you take the online world too seriously, got it.

Seriously dude, chill, you're getting way f*cking out of line.
Cupcake, I respect you, you're a cool guy, but this is not me out of line. Him putting a warning on me, moving my thread, and then not fessing up or fixing the situation, is out of line. It is my ultimate pet peeve and the worst way to get on my bad side to label me something I am not, which is what obesebear did.  When the whole thing of me chewing out Dark_Ansem happened and I got a warning for that, yeah I had my say of I thought it was appropriate. But I did accept that judgement because it was abit excessive (Although through PM's that DAnsem initiated that wasnt anyones business of how I answered him). Not so in this situation. I'm being nice about this too by only keeping things to the board. The last time I got "Out of line" the new boyfriend of my higschool sweetheart lost use of the fingers on one hand. Painfully and deliberately. Was it an accident, not enough evidence to say. He had the choice to place his hand on my car when the hood was up. One little wiggle and slam. No mo digits. Abit excessive? I believe it used to be required a thief gets his hands cut off. He only lost four fingers that were reattached though not very usable. So right now, me making things very public on the board of me making a smearing campaign against obesebear for him putting a smear on me is very, very fair. I wouldn't go beyond that nor care to put in the resources to. He could easily call this off by rethinking the situation, apologizing, and removing the warning on my account that shouldn't be there in the first place. It's simple, but yet he's spoiled into thinking that because he's a moderator, he doesn't have to do the little things. I say screw him, I don't bend over and take crud like that. I take the punch when I've deserved it like in many other situations, but screw anyone that thinks they can do so otherwise.

Utgårdsloke

« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-08 10:39:41 »
Hermoor here, this sounds like fun. Let's put and end to this dictatorship and introduce a bit of anarchy. Free this boards from the no life admins supressing the development of good mods. Send me a pm on youtube if you are interested Furzball, if not good luck :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-08 10:57:00 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-08 12:18:45 »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-08 12:30:38 »
Basically, I'm tired of keeping this place organized, so you get to be the example of sorts.  So maybe, just maybe, more threads will be created where they are supposed to be.
Perhaps staff should recruit some additional lower-ranking mods to cleanup rogue threads. I'm sure some people would be up for that. It would mean you wouldn't have to sting the majority of the userbase with warnings and it'd avoid threads like this being created.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-08 13:01:36 »
Hermoor here, this sounds like fun. Let's put and end to this dictatorship and introduce a bit of anarchy. Free this boards from the no life admins supressing the development of good mods. Send me a pm on youtube if you are interested Furzball, if not good luck :)

For a second, I thought that this was someone (probably Matron Orlha) pretending to be Hermoor.

Then I googled Utgårdsloke and found out that he spelt it wrong (at least in Swedish; in Danish, it would be fine, but he doesn't think the Danes are real Scandinavians, so he's unlikely to be abiding by their spelling rules). This conforms Hermoorishness: only he would misspell his own name.

I am, however, surprised that he would criticise the mods; they have been on his side over the past few months, so I thought he'd like them. Then again, Hermoor always did bite the hand that feeds him.

As for the rest of this thread, I have only one acronym: lol
« Last Edit: 2011-02-08 13:04:50 by Kudistos Megistos »

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-08 15:37:16 »
Perhaps staff should recruit some additional lower-ranking mods to cleanup rogue threads. I'm sure some people would be up for that. It would mean you wouldn't have to sting the majority of the userbase with warnings and it'd avoid threads like this being created.
Agreed. There's enough good members on the board to trust with moderation powers. That's another option in this.

Yes I'm going to still be doing my work on FF7. Right now seeing if I can take Yuffies two trap areas and copy past one over the other and using the remains of the other one to essentially use as a new map if I can figure out where to put it and how to access it. Inner programming is kicking my butt. Floor mapping I'm somewhat figuring out.

But I will also be setting up a campaign on
-ideas and suggestions to help with the workload on moderators; then getting those into action
-looming over moderators shoulders and being a 2nd opinion. Alittle more on fatbear then the others.

I've noticed it with some other threads people have made where mods move or delete it though it seemed to match the catagory just cause the dude was typing poor english, or the moderator doesn't get the goal of the thread. I think that moderators should consider giving a chance and making a warning post on a thread of why they think the thread should be moved/deleted. That way the OP can answer if they agree with the moderators decision or if they disagree state their case.

I know this is not a democracy, I know the moderators have been put in charge for a reason. But don't spit in the face of the site members while you're doing you're duties. It'll just piss everyone off. Think of it as being the good boss that everyone wants to work for versus being the douchebag boss everyone hates. You may get the job done, but people will constantly be looking at you as a jerk boss. Can you get the job done and not step on as many toes. Yes. It just requires a few extra steps around the subject.

Today while I'm working  on things I'll be making a list on what my goals should be on this site splitting it between working on ff7, helping sort out any messes on the board, and my own personal goals. I'm going to have to do some things like at the bottom of every OP I make in my threads write a paragraph summary of why it belongs there.

Speaking of which fatbear still has not explained why he believes my previous thread didn't belong in tech related. He stated what does belong in tech related, I told him how my thread matches the terms, and yet fatbear doesn't answer. You know, just sayin.

Really my whole analstick on this event is fatbear did not do his job. From my point of view, he took a thread that had nothing wrong with it or where it was, moved it, and put a watched status on me. Labeling me basically as someone who is trying to ignore board policy. I accepted that on the dark ansem affair only cause I deserved it then. This time, didn't do the crime now I'm doing the two week time and have it in my record. Is it serious, not really, just a nonsense warning that will have no effect later. I'm just pissed that fatbear is not giving case as to why he is correct, gave him three chances of that and he has still failed to provide evidence that in some way I deserved his slap to the face. Not only that but that he thinks it's just right to willy nilly do this stuff without consulting or assisting the the people he's "cleaning up after".

Why am I coming down hard on fatbear. I'm very tired of seeing mods that just use their functions without taking the time and using the basic functions of double checking before you cross a street. So fatbear, it's not just about you, I'm just making you a sign to any other mods. :)
Oh and I explained a logical reason for my actions, where's yours.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-08 15:53:58 »
Hmmm, though you are clearly insulting/mocking me and my decision, I do find a slight amusement in watching you fall apart while others sit on the sideline and laugh/facepalm.  So I will likely leave you free to whine and complain.  But here's your warning, if it starts to get annoying you will be moderated/muted/banned.  Reasoning with teenagers...sheesh.

However, I regret to inform you that I cannot continue participating in this trolling/baiting.  Since I am supposed to uphold the rules, obviously I can't go around breaking them all willy nilly.  But please, do continue.

Side note: New Hermoor is banned again

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-08 16:56:22 »
Hmmm, though you are clearly insulting/mocking me and my decision, I do find a slight amusement in watching you fall apart while others sit on the sideline and laugh/facepalm.  So I will likely leave you free to whine and complain.  But here's your warning, if it starts to get annoying you will be moderated/muted/banned.  Reasoning with teenagers...sheesh.

However, I regret to inform you that I cannot continue participating in this trolling/baiting.  Since I am supposed to uphold the rules, obviously I can't go around breaking them all willy nilly.  But please, do continue.

Side note: New Hermoor is banned again
===================

Lol, look at you.  I mean really, just take a step back and look.  Your profile says 23, but I remember being 23 and I know I didn't act like you are acting.

Since this is in the trashcan I suppose I can continue this conversation on your level.

1.  I'm not pompous, in fact being in charge around here is quite annoying because though I love this site, being the one to keep it clean is a thankless hassle besides whatever personal gratification I can scrape from it.
2.  I'm not an asshat, but even if I was I imagine that would be better than being an immature prepubescent virgin.
3.  I'm not fat.  In fact I could quite easily steal your little girlfriend away from you, or your mom, or whatever female you think loves you.
4.  I'm not positive (and too lazy to check), but I think you threatened to harm me physically.  Best of luck there killer.  Maybe you didn't notice the Eagle Globe and Anchor for my avatar?
5.  ???
6.  Profit

In trash for a reason cause i decided to stay on board to help with trying to crack ff7 on things like making new areas. But since you so kindly wanted to answer
1. moderating jobs are made thankless cause of people like you. see my bosses example above. Still the same accomplishments, non of the thanks. Maybe you should think about your process more then the results.
2. well fine cool. We've both have had sex with girls and passed puberty. Woop de doop. I didn't call you immature I called you moronic which is code for dumb as a marine. Moving on to which.
3. Actually an idiot like you would have poor luck outside of rape with the women in my life. neandertholic marine thought process. But if you want one you can have the crazy black bitch that is threatenning to castrate me for Fudumpping her.
4. or that marine symbol. Lemme see. 3 of your playmates got tossed out of a bar by yours truely. And yes they were fighting back. All I got was a gash on my arm, two of your buddies stayed in the hospital. Too lazy to list other examples. Marines aren't worth shit it's all hey diddle diddle right down the middle. Marines tend to send out their boys to be killed rather then bringing in artillary. You all have so much pride for your history, your branch is the one with the highest percentage of KIAs. I'd take army, airforce, and navy any day over the dumb rocks in the marines.
5-6: lost your steam there buddy. A little writers block? Had to resort to a meme. Yup, not much gray matter up there.

Sounds like you're a 40-50 on the asvab scale while I was an 82 when I was too lazy to study. What are you, foot soldier? The recruiters wanted me in intelligence.

So let's see, I'm smarter then you, don't have to resort to cliche's or memes, and don't take shit from you. Yeah I can see why you're pissed.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-02-08 19:27:21 »
I think this has gone on long enough. If people cannot be civil I am just going to delete this whole damn thread. Furzball stop acting all butthurt, obesebear you should be above this type of thing.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-02-08 19:31:22 »
I think we'd be better off archiving it for posterity. Lock it if you must, but there's too much valuable stuff in here.

The problem with deleting threads is that people can pretend they didn't say the things they said and avoid taking responsibility for their actions. Thread like these are also valuable tools for learning about the other sides of people's personalities; we wouldn't want to lose the insights we've gained.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-02-08 19:31:43 »
Both of you!  Stop it this instant!  This is my job and I retired  ;D

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 2011-02-08 19:41:20 »
Ahem.

This thread is silly enough. But what's worse is that we're missing a good opportunity to properly discuss the thread category rules, and how difficult it is for new members to judge what goes where. It's very nice for us to write newbies off as stupid teenagers, and gratifying to flame those who won't read the rules, but in practice, we're cutting off our noses to spite our faces, creating a massive workload for ourselves that sap moderator time.

Now, I'm not really yet qualified to call myself a technical author, or a user experience champion. But I can tell you this: it's far better to redesign your interfaces and web forms, and assume your logic is arbitrary / unintuitive / obscure, than double the support calls / admin work you endure. If our categories and rules aren't immediately obvious, they're probably confusing. Rather than marching towards Furzball's ban, let's discuss how we can avoid these problems in future.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-02-08 19:43:10 »
Both of you!  Stop it this instant!  This is my job and I retired  ;D

Unnnnnn...you should come out of retirement, Seifie-kun. That would be so entertaining!

Ahem.

This thread is silly enough. But what's worse is that we're missing a good opportunity to properly discuss the thread category rules, and how difficult it is for new members to judge what goes where. Whilst it's very nice for us to write newbies off as stupid teenagers, and gratifying to flame those who won't read the rules, in practice, we're cutting off our noses to spite our faces, creating a massive workload for ourselves that sap moderator time.

Now, I'm not really yet qualified to call myself a technical author, or a user experience champion. But I can tell you this: it's far better to redesign your interfaces and web forms, and assume your logic is arbitrary / unintuitive / obscure, than double the support calls / admin work you endure. If our categories and rules aren't immediately obvious, they're probably confusing. Rather than marching towards Furzball's ban, let's discuss how we can avoid these problems in future.

That's what I said a long time ago. I was ignored.

However, it is nice to see how well the "use mod powers first, ask questions later" policy has turned out. We can see how successful it has been in creating a civil, usable forum.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-02-08 19:52:21 »
Well. If something comes out of this that will better the board then all I have to say is my work in this subject is done.

But I agree with Kudi, the whole shoot first ask questions later, is not a policy that should be taken onto forums. I'll take a poke around and maybe write up a "newb" POV of what goes where based on what I'm reading. I welcome anyone to do the same and we all post it in one thread. That way we all get where eachother is coming from on this issue. Using those articles it may be possible to review the rules and descriptions, making them more member friendly.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-02-08 19:55:37 »
Ahem.

This thread is silly enough. But what's worse is that we're missing a good opportunity to properly discuss the thread category rules, and how difficult it is for new members to judge what goes where. It's very nice for us to write newbies off as stupid teenagers, and gratifying to flame those who won't read the rules, but in practice, we're cutting off our noses to spite our faces, creating a massive workload for ourselves that sap moderator time.

Agreed.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-02-09 00:34:44 »
Well, I logged on perfectly happy and ready to mute Furzball, but since this thread has taken a constructive turn, I'll let it slide.

Shoot first ask later is how I've been trained and lived my life for years.  Complaints about it? Too bad.  That's why we also have Halkun who seems to be the ultimate pacifist, and sl1982 who's somewhere in between the two extremes.
If I happen to catch you, sucks to be you.  If it's Halkun, you lucked up.  And if it's sl.. it's a gamble.
Consider the current "argument" dropped.

As far as changing the site...Clearly everyone besides sl and Bosola ignored this one http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9999.msg156641#msg156641  not even 2 weeks ago guys

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-02-09 01:11:47 »
Ok here is my problem with all this. People complain that forum descriptions are too ambiguous, yet I do not see anyone offering up better wording. You say that this is your community? Well maybe it is time that you help us make it better. (Note: This is a generalization, some people actually do have input)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-02-09 01:14:39 »
For what it is worth, when I was admin of a bunch of pricks who formed a clique creating trouble for other members I went through tons of rule revisions, trying my best to appease and then later punish but it doesn't matter how the hell you word it.

People understand right and wrong, and they know when they are being shitty.  No clarification is necessary as it is ultimately futile.