Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4881218 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.94)
« Reply #10725 on: 2021-03-09 23:58:18 »
so Segachief

Regarding the special battles content:

so as far as ideas. is there a way to code in a "mirror match"? where you legitimately fight your your own team? its probably way difficult to code something like that but its a thought. or i mean maybe just some semblance of how your active team would function? an aerith clone would likely be a mage build (unless it was built for slum drunk lmao). a cloud clone generally does physical but can go magic attacker, barrets a tank.....vincent would be all about transformations....lol. idk. ideas lol.

Kinda, but it'd take up a lot of space and it wouldn't be able to accurately match your current party comp as enemy model IDs are statically defined. The Yellow Materia cave has something akin to this in any case.

how about maybe something like a boss rush of jenova's various forms? :)
alternatively sorta miss dark cave - boss rush of midgar bosses ? :)

how about maybe something like a boss rush of jenova's various forms? :)
alternatively sorta miss dark cave - boss rush of midgar bosses ? :)

I'll try to add something.

So I've played through both Mode A and Mode B (Got every item minus a few) and its probably the best mod ive played in a long time. I have a few questions though.

1. What does the Dark Matter do? I can't find a use for it.

2. Where can you get the Heroes Medal and Ribbon? In the item location guide it just says defeat ???? and i defeated that secret boss in Shinra Mansion from the piano.

3. Also speaking of the boss from the Shinra Mansion, what does the item ???? do that you get from that boss?

Thank you, Great mod and ill keep an eye on this page  :)

Ah, seems the documentation was out of date on that one. The Hero Medal was renamed to the ???? item you got from the Shinra Mansion boss.

Dark Matter appears to be unused from what I can see; it used to be a material for crafting Ultimate Weapons but this system was dropped from 2.0.

The Ribbon can only be acquired from one place, the boss battle at the end of Disc 1 if
Spoiler: show
Aeris doesn't survive the battle.

Tooplex

• View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: 2021-03-10 08:01:05 »
Ah, seems the documentation was out of date on that one. The Hero Medal was renamed to the ???? item you got from the Shinra Mansion boss.

Dark Matter appears to be unused from what I can see; it used to be a material for crafting Ultimate Weapons but this system was dropped from 2.0.

The Ribbon can only be acquired from one place, the boss battle at the end of Disc 1 if
Aeris doesn't survive the battle.

Aaaah, Now that makes alot more sense! Thank you!, I thought I had missed another secret boss! Thanks again. You are an amazing modder and has certainly kept me entertained over 150 hours :)

Higgenbobber

• View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: 2021-03-12 17:12:52 »
How much harder is this game on New Threat normal for everyone?  I'm only on the second reactor but am considering updating to Hard Mode.  Also its a little confusing checking to see whether Hard Mode is active or not since when you toggle it on it says "Hard Mode: On" (in the little battle cutaway upon selecting) but then proceeds to say "Hard Mode: Off" right after-- so i'm not sure whether it did anything.

Peon

• View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: 2021-03-12 19:31:18 »
Hello! First of all thank you for the mod, I hadn't played FF7 for at least a decade and it's a blast to have enhanced difficulty as I recall the vanilla game to be pretty easy. With the limited options you have early the game was quite challenging up to now (not hard, but definitely challenging). I am amazed by what the modding community has done with this game and you guys have my utmost respect for the work you're doing out of passion for this game we all love.

I have done several vanilla playthrough already so I went for option B to experience the story with a few twists and MORE BOSSES (YAY!). So far I am at the very beginning, I just finished the Midgar section a few minutes ago and had to take a break to come here for information.

I am pretty concerned by one thing, it seems a huge part of Midgar was just... cut?
I never had to enter the Honey Bee and do the whole crossdressing thing which I remember was quite funny. Instead I just had to fight a couple of easy monsters to get to Don Corneo. I never had the plot part where Shinra wants to drop the plate onto section 7 instead we just head on straight to the Shinra HQ.
It's been a long time I haven't played the game so I don't remember every part in detail but I'm certain a big part of content got cut there. Also there was the mayor riddle for the pass in the Shinra HQ that just had "BEST" as every possible answer, not just an option to skip it for the best result, it was the ONLY option possible (I can appreciate having the option to skip it but it was just weird not having the choice of doing it the legit way)

As I understand it the option B is supposed to change some story events and I was very happy with it. I was actually excited to see what you would come up with but now i'm just afraid that i'm playing a "speedrun" version with less story but more bosses.
It is great to have more bosses as hunting all the weapons was my favorite part of late game FF7 and I love a long, strategic boss battle. (BTW what's the deal with the meca one shooting your party in Shinra HQ, are you actually supposed to beat that thing?)

Anyway before going further into the game and with the least spoilers as possible I would like to know if I only have to expect cut story content from NT type B or if it actually CHANGE the way the story unfold. If it is the former I am going to have to restart a type A playthrough. Too bad for the extra bosses (Seriously a bummer, I was looking forward to fighting new bosses) but I was expecting more/different content, not less from reading the in game description at the start.

I want to apologize if my comment feel too critical or anything. That is not my intention. I understand that everyone is not looking for the same things in games and it's a good thing. It's just that, for me, the story is the most critical part of a Final Fantasy game and I started playing NT expecting a twist on the game, not a shorter version of it. Now I'm just worried I wasted 4 hours playing the speedrun version of the game instead of just starting a regular type A playthrough.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling error, English is a second language. Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-12 19:33:03 by Peon »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: 2021-03-13 23:33:33 »
How much harder is this game on New Threat normal for everyone?  I'm only on the second reactor but am considering updating to Hard Mode.  Also its a little confusing checking to see whether Hard Mode is active or not since when you toggle it on it says "Hard Mode: On" (in the little battle cutaway upon selecting) but then proceeds to say "Hard Mode: Off" right after-- so i'm not sure whether it did anything.

Sounds like it's bugged; the in-battle message is the correct one though, the field message must have gotten desynched from it somehow. In the next patch that whole thing is getting revamped so there's no battle toggle needed, it's a bit messy.

Hello! First of all thank you for the mod, I hadn't played FF7 for at least a decade and it's a blast to have enhanced difficulty as I recall the vanilla game to be pretty easy. With the limited options you have early the game was quite challenging up to now (not hard, but definitely challenging). I am amazed by what the modding community has done with this game and you guys have my utmost respect for the work you're doing out of passion for this game we all love.

I have done several vanilla playthrough already so I went for option B to experience the story with a few twists and MORE BOSSES (YAY!). So far I am at the very beginning, I just finished the Midgar section a few minutes ago and had to take a break to come here for information.

I am pretty concerned by one thing, it seems a huge part of Midgar was just... cut?
I never had to enter the Honey Bee and do the whole crossdressing thing which I remember was quite funny. Instead I just had to fight a couple of easy monsters to get to Don Corneo. I never had the plot part where Shinra wants to drop the plate onto section 7 instead we just head on straight to the Shinra HQ.
It's been a long time I haven't played the game so I don't remember every part in detail but I'm certain a big part of content got cut there. Also there was the mayor riddle for the pass in the Shinra HQ that just had "BEST" as every possible answer, not just an option to skip it for the best result, it was the ONLY option possible (I can appreciate having the option to skip it but it was just weird not having the choice of doing it the legit way)

As I understand it the option B is supposed to change some story events and I was very happy with it. I was actually excited to see what you would come up with but now i'm just afraid that i'm playing a "speedrun" version with less story but more bosses.
It is great to have more bosses as hunting all the weapons was my favorite part of late game FF7 and I love a long, strategic boss battle. (BTW what's the deal with the meca one shooting your party in Shinra HQ, are you actually supposed to beat that thing?)

Anyway before going further into the game and with the least spoilers as possible I would like to know if I only have to expect cut story content from NT type B or if it actually CHANGE the way the story unfold. If it is the former I am going to have to restart a type A playthrough. Too bad for the extra bosses (Seriously a bummer, I was looking forward to fighting new bosses) but I was expecting more/different content, not less from reading the in game description at the start.

I want to apologize if my comment feel too critical or anything. That is not my intention. I understand that everyone is not looking for the same things in games and it's a good thing. It's just that, for me, the story is the most critical part of a Final Fantasy game and I started playing NT expecting a twist on the game, not a shorter version of it. Now I'm just worried I wasted 4 hours playing the speedrun version of the game instead of just starting a regular type A playthrough.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling error, English is a second language. Keep up the good work.

The Midgar part is a bit more drastically different than the rest of it is on Type B, so you'll pretty much have all the story events going forward.

blues

• View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: 2021-03-14 07:27:12 »
Having played 1.5 quite a while ago, I'm so glad to see that you've continued working on this mod since then!

A little initial feedback: I'm pretty early on in the run but the edits in Type B are pretty jarring. Much of the cut content appears to be cut just to be different, which is fine - that's the point of Type B, after all - but the replacement content is substantially less in depth and not fully integrated. Some examples:

1. The Reactor 5 Airbuster encounter is removed in favor of a fight against 3+4 basic "SOLDIER 3rd" enemies (in fact, they are used as random encounters in the Shinra building less than 30 minutes later). And the Rufus + Dark Nation fight is also removed in favor of fighting this same grunt (renamed "COMMANDO" but functionally identical, it seems) 1 on 1. These feel like placeholder changes. 

2. The dress up section in Wall Mart is removed in favor of four grunt mob fights referencing the FF7: Remake Corneo Arena. This eliminates a lot of very iconic Wall Market content with no real replacement because this is basically just four random battles intercut with a few lines of ported-over jokey FF7: Remake dialog. I know we've all done this part a million times so maybe this was intended as a QOL improvement, but it might have been nice to require that you get some Key Items in order to enter the arena, however (maybe a few slightly different things need doing in order to get an Entry Pass?). I don't know, it again felt like a placeholder edit, and it was bizarre having so many memorable moments such as the squat competition, the Honey Bee Inn and the Don Corneo's mansion interior segment removed in favor of a handful of random encounters.

3. The Sector 7 plate is never dropped, which results in the cutting of a great deal of content (such as the Reno boss fight, the death of the minor AVALANCHE characters, and Elmyra's exposition regarding Aeris' past), and nothing replaces it. I found this change really confusing because it undercuts much of the gravitas of the Midgar section (Shinra's evilness and, to a degree, the party's motivation, is GREATLY diminished by this), leaves out critical details/foreshadowing regarding Aeris, and renders quite a few dialog lines nonsensical (for example, Barret talks about "reforming" AVALANCHE - but aren't Jessie, Biggs and Wedge alive?). More problematically, several NPCs actually directly reference the plate being dropped still, including two which show up immediately after exiting Midgar (in Kalm).

I assume these issues (and a few lesser ones I didn't include) exist because 2.0 is still a WIP, but I felt compelled to note them because NT 1.5 Arrange had an absolutely INCREDIBLE amount of polish. In fact, NT 1.5 Arrange is, to me, the definitive version of the game, adding tons of new content, cleaning up what was already there (such as the integration of Yuffie more cleanly into Kalm), etc., and I still play it from time to time.

I really don't want this to be taken as just a guy complaining - you are doing an amazing (and unpaid!!) service for every single fan of FF7 by working on this mod and I am grateful beyond words - but I thought maybe you'd like a little feedback. Please feel free to ignore me, of course!!  :-D :-D :-D

Peon

• View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: 2021-03-14 13:05:43 »
The Midgar part is a bit more drastically different than the rest of it is on Type B, so you'll pretty much have all the story events going forward.

Sweet thank you! I'll keep going then :p
Also is there a missable item guide that you're aware off? I couldn't find one.
I've left a small donation for your hard work. Wishing you all the best.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-14 13:33:46 by Peon »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: 2021-03-15 09:36:35 »
Having played 1.5 quite a while ago, I'm so glad to see that you've continued working on this mod since then!

A little initial feedback: I'm pretty early on in the run but the edits in Type B are pretty jarring. Much of the cut content appears to be cut just to be different, which is fine - that's the point of Type B, after all - but the replacement content is substantially less in depth and not fully integrated. Some examples:

1. The Reactor 5 Airbuster encounter is removed in favor of a fight against 3+4 basic "SOLDIER 3rd" enemies (in fact, they are used as random encounters in the Shinra building less than 30 minutes later). And the Rufus + Dark Nation fight is also removed in favor of fighting this same grunt (renamed "COMMANDO" but functionally identical, it seems) 1 on 1. These feel like placeholder changes. 

2. The dress up section in Wall Mart is removed in favor of four grunt mob fights referencing the FF7: Remake Corneo Arena. This eliminates a lot of very iconic Wall Market content with no real replacement because this is basically just four random battles intercut with a few lines of ported-over jokey FF7: Remake dialog. I know we've all done this part a million times so maybe this was intended as a QOL improvement, but it might have been nice to require that you get some Key Items in order to enter the arena, however (maybe a few slightly different things need doing in order to get an Entry Pass?). I don't know, it again felt like a placeholder edit, and it was bizarre having so many memorable moments such as the squat competition, the Honey Bee Inn and the Don Corneo's mansion interior segment removed in favor of a handful of random encounters.

3. The Sector 7 plate is never dropped, which results in the cutting of a great deal of content (such as the Reno boss fight, the death of the minor AVALANCHE characters, and Elmyra's exposition regarding Aeris' past), and nothing replaces it. I found this change really confusing because it undercuts much of the gravitas of the Midgar section (Shinra's evilness and, to a degree, the party's motivation, is GREATLY diminished by this), leaves out critical details/foreshadowing regarding Aeris, and renders quite a few dialog lines nonsensical (for example, Barret talks about "reforming" AVALANCHE - but aren't Jessie, Biggs and Wedge alive?). More problematically, several NPCs actually directly reference the plate being dropped still, including two which show up immediately after exiting Midgar (in Kalm).

I assume these issues (and a few lesser ones I didn't include) exist because 2.0 is still a WIP, but I felt compelled to note them because NT 1.5 Arrange had an absolutely INCREDIBLE amount of polish. In fact, NT 1.5 Arrange is, to me, the definitive version of the game, adding tons of new content, cleaning up what was already there (such as the integration of Yuffie more cleanly into Kalm), etc., and I still play it from time to time.

I really don't want this to be taken as just a guy complaining - you are doing an amazing (and unpaid!!) service for every single fan of FF7 by working on this mod and I am grateful beyond words - but I thought maybe you'd like a little feedback. Please feel free to ignore me, of course!!  :-D :-D :-D

It is definitely inferior to the regular story progression, but it was just aiming to be novelty more than anything else. It was done after I'd finished the build shortly before the mod released and some things were missed (dialogue references to normal story events) or not considered (Reno's first appearance is missing and a change in Gongaga's encounter means he's mostly AWOL)..

I wouldn't consider Arrange from 1.5 overly polished, I think every build so far including 2.0 has more than its share of rough edges, but it's nice of you to say all the same. If the Type B changes prove too distracting then could be worth jumping over to Type A instead.

Sweet thank you! I'll keep going then :p
Also is there a missable item guide that you're aware off? I couldn't find one.
I've left a small donation for your hard work. Wishing you all the best.

Cheers, appreciate it.

There is some documentation that lists item locations which can downloaded from the front page of the thread. 1/35 soldiers are currently missable but I've set up new locations for them in the upcoming patch that will make them retrievable and which will be compatible with saves of any progress as they use the same var triggers (except for the ones that replaced pre-existing chests/items, but I've added checks to handle those).

Onomato

• View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: 2021-03-15 15:33:32 »
Hi I have a question.

In the 1.5 mod, when going down into the northern crater and splitting the party.  The first bit I choose for everyone to go down except for Tifa, this leads to some memebers being unselectable (i forget who at the moment).

In the next split I split in the following way:

Cloud - Down
Barret - Down
Red XIII - Up
Yuffie - Up
Cait Sith - Down
Vincent - Down
Aerith - Down
Cid - Up.

Then when it makes me chose a party all party members but Vincent are unselectable meaning I cannot make a party of 3 and continue?

Any idea whats going on here?

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: 2021-03-15 18:35:33 »
How is 2.1 coming along Sega, I heard you were working on it some time ago ? Much love as always !!!

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: 2021-03-18 00:48:33 »
Yo, Segachief.

Any chance of summoning you over to the FFVIII:Remastered board and modding?
How bout a New Threat for FFVIII:R or "New SeeD", it's dead over there with no gameplay mode alternatives for FFVIII...  :-X

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: 2021-03-18 02:38:35 »
Yo, Segachief.

How bout a New Threat for FFVIII:R or "New SeeD", it's dead over there with no gameplay mode alternatives for FFVIII...  :-X

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18635.0

He already has something in the works for FF8.

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: 2021-03-18 03:52:19 »
Yea, that's for pre-rerelease tho...
can you port it to the Remastered?

Nikkiiih

• View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: 2021-03-23 19:56:55 »
Been having a blast playing this but have encountered few infuriating things. These happened during B play mode. The worst being Cloud being ejected from the party at Battle Square if you do the special battle as Tifa partyleading. Cant throw Cloud back into the party via PHS so im stuck with only 2 characters in my party. I can probably get him back with the party leader exchange thing but still, muh battle points. Few other bugs too but they werent too bad like character field models getting stuck on screen during shinra building escape cutscene which doesnt affect gameplay at all, it just looks odd.

Question about teleport spell. I dont think anyone used it during vanilla ff7 playthroughs so dont know if this is mod related or not but using teleport spell and escaping battle that way has an odd effect in the next battle. The person who cast the teleport spell can act twice for some reason, its like it retains the last battles atb and with some luck you can get your atb bar full, attack or do whatever you want before it resets again and if dex is high enough or battle speed at max you can execute another command right after. The atb bar charges during the characters attack. Like I said, I have no idea is this mod related or has it always been like that. Im only using this NT mod so there shouldnt be any conflicts between the mods.

Thanks SegaChief for the mod, its great. Cant wait to start tackling Weapons and the hidden bosses !

TheDrifter363

• View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: 2021-03-24 22:16:21 »
Hey Sega Chief,

What's good man? Listen, I'm using your standalone mod with Satsuki's Graphics pack. He recently updated his pack, so now it uses the 1998 executables. I'm not using 7th heaven or anything, since I didn't wanna run stuff as admin. I was able to install your mod, after his, by renaming his ff7.e.exe to ff7.exe. It patched the exe successfully, but now it complains about a missing disc check. Any way around that? It didn't complain about that for the steam version. I'm assuming the old exe has a cd check. I wouldn't mind hex editing the exe to make a no cd bypass, or maybe you could do something like that? I'm not skilled at all in reverse engineering, or exe editing. I just have a hex editor. Lol. Let me know dude. Thanks!

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
« Reply #10740 on: 2021-03-25 10:37:07 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=3125.0
But as i said in my pack's topic, you want to mod more, use 7h, my pack is an AIO for easy modding steam game for casual user, not for advanced modding.
You could also (should work):
1)install vanilla steam ff7
2)install my pack
3)setup my pack
4)download and install FFNx steam's version (just don't overwrite the "shader" folder and "FFNx.toml" file)
5)install NT mod
6)Launch game from steam only without using my launcher

By the way you also need to copie the ending2 and jenova_e movies files from "\data\movies" to the "\data\lang-en\movies" or you'll miss them while playing game
« Last Edit: 2021-03-25 10:43:34 by satsuki »

rtab

• View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: 2021-03-25 17:47:53 »
Hello ! I wanted to thank you for this wonderful mod! I've been doing vanilla countless time on playstation 1 and this mod feels really refreshing to play !
I've been doing the 4 secrets from the chocobo and managed to unlock them all by changing the item required for secret #2 (the 4 save point reads Awoken). I've been looking around in the game trying to find what's changed but I didn't found anything.
Did I missed something or is the reward (?) not implemented yet ?

Anyway great work ! Thanks again !

NorthCorelHotel

• View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: 2021-03-25 19:34:47 »
Thanks a lot for this mod, im really enjoying the content and the rebalance its on point. Quick question, where can you get the 1/35 soldier in gold saucer? The txt says sub price 5. Do i have to play the submarine minigame? i have been playing the laser mini game because its where you got it in the og version but i already got the umbrella and the cactuar gun and i only received ethers after. Sorry if anyone asked already i cant find the answer.

TheDrifter363

• View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: 2021-03-25 22:38:17 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=3125.0
But as i said in my pack's topic, you want to mod more, use 7h, my pack is an AIO for easy modding steam game for casual user, not for advanced modding.
You could also (should work):
1)install vanilla steam ff7
2)install my pack
3)setup my pack
4)download and install FFNx steam's version (just don't overwrite the "shader" folder and "FFNx.toml" file)
5)install NT mod
6)Launch game from steam only without using my launcher

By the way you also need to copie the ending2 and jenova_e movies files from "\data\movies" to the "\data\lang-en\movies" or you'll miss them while playing game

What's good Satsuki? Lol. I just spoke to someone at the 7th heaven board. I can't use a mod application that requires admin access. It'll mess up my setup man. All of my games and applications must run without admin privileges.

So I was gonna reply to you about your advice. I tried it, renamed ff7.e.exe to ff7.exe. Rename ff7_en.exe to ff7_en.exe.backup. Seems like new threat adds a disc check when it modifies the 98 executable. That suuuucks. It's what I was trying to ask Sega Chief about. When he modifies the steam executable, there's no such problem. I don't wanna have to mount an iso just to play my games. It's why I prefer no-cd cracks.

Satsuki, so I had to use your older graphics pack that didn't include the 98 executables.

Wait so now you're saying I can still use the steam exe with your 5.30? I don't have to use your 98 executables. Huh....that's a good idea. I wouldn't have to downgrade either. I already have a backup solution, using syncthing, for the saves, which do end up deleting here and there. I've lost a big of progress once.

Thanks dude. I'll check it out. I'm gonna wait for Sega Chief to respond, to see what he's doing when he modifies the 98 executables. Is he including a disc check? No idea these mods had anti piracy built into them. Sucks. I hate disc checks.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: 2021-03-26 13:33:55 »
Hey Sega Chief,

Someone has been making brand new fields by completely altering existing fields. The author recently made new fields for the sewers under Corneo's mansion.

I thought this could be of use for you in the future for New Threat Game Type B. If the author keeps making new fields like this, I think it'd be neat of New Threat could incorporate some of them for Type B.
Just an idea. Think about it!

Aynath Crescent

• View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: 2021-03-26 15:24:11 »
Hey Sega Chief !

A huge thanks to you for the mod, I'm a FF7 enthousiast and the NT mod is by far my favorite mod. I went from NT 1.4 (almost finished) and I played a bit of 1.5 but due to lack of time, I couldn't play every part of it.
I got really excited when I saw the release of 2.0. I'll give some feedbacks about my overall experience, hoping that it can help you on polishing the mod in future releases. Also I have some questions as well regarding the mod, but I'll put all in spoilers to avoid ruining others' experience of the game, just in case. In any case, thanks a lot for your hard work, I'm gonna do a donation.

Story :
I went Type B for more novelty. I currently am near the end, I just have to go in the depths of the crater, terminus being already reached.
The midgar part was largely different and I appreciated small details such as Cloud having his butt in flames instead of Wedge. I was surprised that sector 7 wasn't destroyed at all too. So I guessed that we could come back there later on, leading to more quests or story. But in fact, I couldn't ever reach sector 7 at all. Weird part is that the character doesn't even show in the place where the giant gate leading to Sector 7 is, the gate isn't destroyed though.
It was also fun to see that Rude is the trouble maker instead of Reno, but it didn't matter at all as I advanced to the story. It was awkward that there isn't any battle against them in the entrance of Gongaga but instead we get to fight a robot (I think) in the reactor to get Titan. Reno wasn't even introduced I think.
After getting out of Midgar, I felt like I mostly played the normal FF7 so I guessed it was experimental. I think I'll replay it in Type A next time until Type B gets more polished, to finish I loved the small bits of cut-scenes you added when you try to retrieve ultimate weapons and lv4 limits. QoL skipping parts are really useful, especially when I had to retry multiple times due to crashes or save files that I crushed by accident... But I can confirm that I had fun discovering differences between vanilla and NT (Tseng battle for example was fun).

Gameplay :
The many balance changes you brough up are really cool ! The whole system is on another level of depth, equiping materias and gear feels even more impactful than before. I guess it was to compensate from the sources being removed and replaced by the SP system. I believe in the 1.4 we had 8 upgrades instead of 4 now.
Balancing is overall a success in my opinion, spells feel more situational to use and given the new effects added to some materia, they are definitely satisfying to use. For example, the E.Skill Laser helped a lot throughout the game since it ignores Defence (Pagoda battles for exemple). It made the game challenging enough without being completely too hard to just drop the game).

But they some things I wish it would work in a another way. For example, I wish Esuna would heal from Dual Drain given the great cost of it. Also, why do we get X-cut by beating Weapons ? Almost every hard content, if not all is done at the end of it too. Long range too, I don't feel it added much especially at this point, it was even removed in 1.4 if I remember right. I guess W-cut could either evolve into X-cut like in the vanilla, or get it before beating Weapons would be nice.
I also had fun maxing as many Counter Attack materias as I could, I was wondering why my character would counter as much as it had materias equipped. A mastered materia doesn't give 100% chance of counter attack ?

As for the ultimate weapons, they feel underwhelming to use, especially Red XIII's, I would not use it at all and use Masamume instead. Scaling with limits are a bad idea imo as you can't use attack commands (Slash-All and X-cut too)...
Missing-Score damage formula nerf is not really justified given that most "AP needy" materias are actually already mastered, KotR, Quadra Magic for example. So it did felt underwhelming to use.
And Masamune, oh boy, it is me or it is way too overpowered ? it has 75 base damage, auto-crits and it ignores defence ?? I literally annihilated Weapons and Ozma in a few hits, dealing 9k+ damage per hit while 3k with the ultimate weapon instead. Maybe a nerf would be justified. Or maybe buffs for ultimate weapons instead, most of them have 0 base damage, which drastically lowers the damage output and doesn't feel rewarding to obtain them at the end.
I also recall that in 1.4, ultimate weapons were crafted instead of dropped on bosses. Was there a reason to remove the crafting part ?

I feel like there's also less content than in 1.5, there's no longer the round-robin battles in junon, or the funny Dark Cave quest for example. I loved that quest so I felt really sad when it got removed. Not that the current content is lackluster though. I currently have 60+ hours according to the save file, it is actually 80+ since I accidentally crushed my files multiple files. Speedhacks helped me to catch up to be honest.

Others :
I think the documentation isn't updated at some points, for example, it is said that Riibbon could be obtained by defeating 4*? (Ozma I guess), yet I obtained an item called 4*? instead (4*? is actually 4 times the interrogation point, but it is automatically converted to ????) .
I wish the 1/35 soldiers could be obtainable in a another way when missed.
I played Hard mode up until I went out of Midgar, it automatically swiched back to Normal difficulty in the World Map. I though you could get gils from Field battles but I realized that when I reached Costa Del Sol.
I encountered some bugs, I think it is not related to the mod but it did cost me some time :
  • Some random crashes when switching screens from time to time, in a rapid succession
  • If Barret has W-cut and Enemy Launcher equipped, sometimes Barrets get stuck between the first and second attack, game can be paused but since he's stuck, the game cannot continue. It was annoying because Enemy Launcher has Slash-All and Triple materia growth
  • Casting Ultima with Quadra Magic leads to Emerald being frozen if it has his eyes opened, like Barret in the previous point, making Ultima difficult to abuse

More questions :
Regarding the 4*? item, what is it it's use ? I though of this item with that mysterious place where there are 4 inert save points in the crater (where you get Ultima). In the menu I can see that the item becomes usable, I try to use and the the screen fades to black and comes back to normal, that's all. It's like I just quit that place and came back again. Given that they are 4 inert save points, I guess there are 4 things to do before it becomes non inert anymore. Then I thought about that Chocobo in the Glacier, if you give a specific nut (I think), it tells you a creepy text :

Trapped in the sand: HEAD WALK CAST MUTE (1)
Forgotten in a house: DAZE FOR KEY CARDS (2)
Sealed in buried rock: GIVE SPECTRAL BILE LUCK (3)
Whirling in winds: HERO KING DROWNED IN WOE (4)

Not gonna lie, it freaked me out. I think 1 and 2 are respectively Ruby and Ozma but I can't guess which bosses are refered with 3 and 4. Emerald doesn't seem to match any of them as well. I probably missed something, I'm persuaded that it is linked to that mysterious place with these save points. When those 4 bosses are defeated, I can use the item and something should happen, right? I'd like some clarifications, maybe I'm totally wrong.

In all cases, I look forward updates on the mod, since it's so great to live that game again !

Nohri

• View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: 2021-03-26 17:41:27 »
Hello!

Playing for the first time on the latest version and I seem to have made a mistake with regards to Source Points. I did not read the instructions properly and after selecting upgrades I left the menu and just sort of assumed the upgrades went through. I now know how dumb of me that was and I was wondering if there is a way to reset Source Points? If not at least everything else will be a meaty challenge. :wink:

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: 2021-03-26 22:23:59 »
Hi I have a question.

In the 1.5 mod, when going down into the northern crater and splitting the party.  The first bit I choose for everyone to go down except for Tifa, this leads to some memebers being unselectable (i forget who at the moment).

In the next split I split in the following way:

Cloud - Down
Barret - Down
Red XIII - Up
Yuffie - Up
Cait Sith - Down
Vincent - Down
Aerith - Down
Cid - Up.

Then when it makes me chose a party all party members but Vincent are unselectable meaning I cannot make a party of 3 and continue?

Any idea whats going on here?

It's a bug introduced when trying to tackle an issue where materia is unequipped when characters are locked by PHS. I think if you send everyone the same way that should avoid the issue.

How is 2.1 coming along Sega, I heard you were working on it some time ago ? Much love as always !!!

Almost there.

Yo, Segachief.

I don't know how FF8 remastered modding works, I think there's a demaster patch for it or something.

Been having a blast playing this but have encountered few infuriating things. These happened during B play mode. The worst being Cloud being ejected from the party at Battle Square if you do the special battle as Tifa partyleading. Cant throw Cloud back into the party via PHS so im stuck with only 2 characters in my party. I can probably get him back with the party leader exchange thing but still, muh battle points. Few other bugs too but they werent too bad like character field models getting stuck on screen during shinra building escape cutscene which doesnt affect gameplay at all, it just looks odd.

Question about teleport spell. I dont think anyone used it during vanilla ff7 playthroughs so dont know if this is mod related or not but using teleport spell and escaping battle that way has an odd effect in the next battle. The person who cast the teleport spell can act twice for some reason, its like it retains the last battles atb and with some luck you can get your atb bar full, attack or do whatever you want before it resets again and if dex is high enough or battle speed at max you can execute another command right after. The atb bar charges during the characters attack. Like I said, I have no idea is this mod related or has it always been like that. Im only using this NT mod so there shouldnt be any conflicts between the mods.

Thanks SegaChief for the mod, its great. Cant wait to start tackling Weapons and the hidden bosses !

In 2.0, Battle Points should persist when leaving Gold Saucer so there's no penalty for leaving and coming back. As for that bug with Cloud getting removed, I'll look into sorting it out.

Not heard of field models persisting on the screen for that FMV before; were there any other mods on there, like FMV mods or FFNX? There weren't really any scripting changes for how the scene leading into that FMV was handled.

Escape has a weird bug from vanilla (maybe exclusive to PC) where it seems to mess around with the ATB gauge. Didn't know it could be used to get two early turns though.

Hello ! I wanted to thank you for this wonderful mod! I've been doing vanilla countless time on playstation 1 and this mod feels really refreshing to play !
I've been doing the 4 secrets from the chocobo and managed to unlock them all by changing the item required for secret #2 (the 4 save point reads Awoken). I've been looking around in the game trying to find what's changed but I didn't found anything.
Did I missed something or is the reward (?) not implemented yet ?

Anyway great work ! Thanks again !

Not sure what you mean by changing the item needed; I'd check it again once Patch 2.1 is out, there was a flaw in the script.

Thanks a lot for this mod, im really enjoying the content and the rebalance its on point. Quick question, where can you get the 1/35 soldier in gold saucer? The txt says sub price 5. Do i have to play the submarine minigame? i have been playing the laser mini game because its where you got it in the og version but i already got the umbrella and the cactuar gun and i only received ethers after. Sorry if anyone asked already i cant find the answer.

It's one of the submarine minigame prizes; there's different levels to beat each with their own item (though functionally the levels feel the same).

What's good Satsuki? Lol. I just spoke to someone at the 7th heaven board. I can't use a mod application that requires admin access. It'll mess up my setup man. All of my games and applications must run without admin privileges.

So I was gonna reply to you about your advice. I tried it, renamed ff7.e.exe to ff7.exe. Rename ff7_en.exe to ff7_en.exe.backup. Seems like new threat adds a disc check when it modifies the 98 executable. That suuuucks. It's what I was trying to ask Sega Chief about. When he modifies the steam executable, there's no such problem. I don't wanna have to mount an iso just to play my games. It's why I prefer no-cd cracks.

Satsuki, so I had to use your older graphics pack that didn't include the 98 executables.

Wait so now you're saying I can still use the steam exe with your 5.30? I don't have to use your 98 executables. Huh....that's a good idea. I wouldn't have to downgrade either. I already have a backup solution, using syncthing, for the saves, which do end up deleting here and there. I've lost a big of progress once.

Thanks dude. I'll check it out. I'm gonna wait for Sega Chief to respond, to see what he's doing when he modifies the 98 executables. Is he including a disc check? No idea these mods had anti piracy built into them. Sucks. I hate disc checks.

NT's installer doesn't add the disc check to the 1998 .exe, and it also doesn't circumvent that check either; all the installer does is change some things like extending the Sense limit from 30,000HP to 65,000HP and other general gameplay stuff. Some modding platforms bypass the disc check or automate it like 7th Heaven and Reunion.

Hey Sega Chief,

Someone has been making brand new fields by completely altering existing fields. The author recently made new fields for the sewers under Corneo's mansion.

I thought this could be of use for you in the future for New Threat Game Type B. If the author keeps making new fields like this, I think it'd be neat of New Threat could incorporate some of them for Type B.
Just an idea. Think about it!

Yeah I saw the video on the discord; it's a cool idea to get around the task of making new walkmeshes. I'm on the fence about adding new field screens though.

Hey Sega Chief !

A huge thanks to you for the mod, I'm a FF7 enthousiast and the NT mod is by far my favorite mod. I went from NT 1.4 (almost finished) and I played a bit of 1.5 but due to lack of time, I couldn't play every part of it.
I got really excited when I saw the release of 2.0. I'll give some feedbacks about my overall experience, hoping that it can help you on polishing the mod in future releases. Also I have some questions as well regarding the mod, but I'll put all in spoilers to avoid ruining others' experience of the game, just in case. In any case, thanks a lot for your hard work, I'm gonna do a donation.

Story :
I went Type B for more novelty. I currently am near the end, I just have to go in the depths of the crater, terminus being already reached.
The midgar part was largely different and I appreciated small details such as Cloud having his butt in flames instead of Wedge. I was surprised that sector 7 wasn't destroyed at all too. So I guessed that we could come back there later on, leading to more quests or story. But in fact, I couldn't ever reach sector 7 at all. Weird part is that the character doesn't even show in the place where the giant gate leading to Sector 7 is, the gate isn't destroyed though.
It was also fun to see that Rude is the trouble maker instead of Reno, but it didn't matter at all as I advanced to the story. It was awkward that there isn't any battle against them in the entrance of Gongaga but instead we get to fight a robot (I think) in the reactor to get Titan. Reno wasn't even introduced I think.
After getting out of Midgar, I felt like I mostly played the normal FF7 so I guessed it was experimental. I think I'll replay it in Type A next time until Type B gets more polished, to finish I loved the small bits of cut-scenes you added when you try to retrieve ultimate weapons and lv4 limits. QoL skipping parts are really useful, especially when I had to retry multiple times due to crashes or save files that I crushed by accident... But I can confirm that I had fun discovering differences between vanilla and NT (Tseng battle for example was fun).

Gameplay :
The many balance changes you brough up are really cool ! The whole system is on another level of depth, equiping materias and gear feels even more impactful than before. I guess it was to compensate from the sources being removed and replaced by the SP system. I believe in the 1.4 we had 8 upgrades instead of 4 now.
Balancing is overall a success in my opinion, spells feel more situational to use and given the new effects added to some materia, they are definitely satisfying to use. For example, the E.Skill Laser helped a lot throughout the game since it ignores Defence (Pagoda battles for exemple). It made the game challenging enough without being completely too hard to just drop the game).

But they some things I wish it would work in a another way. For example, I wish Esuna would heal from Dual Drain given the great cost of it. Also, why do we get X-cut by beating Weapons ? Almost every hard content, if not all is done at the end of it too. Long range too, I don't feel it added much especially at this point, it was even removed in 1.4 if I remember right. I guess W-cut could either evolve into X-cut like in the vanilla, or get it before beating Weapons would be nice.
I also had fun maxing as many Counter Attack materias as I could, I was wondering why my character would counter as much as it had materias equipped. A mastered materia doesn't give 100% chance of counter attack ?

As for the ultimate weapons, they feel underwhelming to use, especially Red XIII's, I would not use it at all and use Masamume instead. Scaling with limits are a bad idea imo as you can't use attack commands (Slash-All and X-cut too)...
Missing-Score damage formula nerf is not really justified given that most "AP needy" materias are actually already mastered, KotR, Quadra Magic for example. So it did felt underwhelming to use.
And Masamune, oh boy, it is me or it is way too overpowered ? it has 75 base damage, auto-crits and it ignores defence ?? I literally annihilated Weapons and Ozma in a few hits, dealing 9k+ damage per hit while 3k with the ultimate weapon instead. Maybe a nerf would be justified. Or maybe buffs for ultimate weapons instead, most of them have 0 base damage, which drastically lowers the damage output and doesn't feel rewarding to obtain them at the end.
I also recall that in 1.4, ultimate weapons were crafted instead of dropped on bosses. Was there a reason to remove the crafting part ?

I feel like there's also less content than in 1.5, there's no longer the round-robin battles in junon, or the funny Dark Cave quest for example. I loved that quest so I felt really sad when it got removed. Not that the current content is lackluster though. I currently have 60+ hours according to the save file, it is actually 80+ since I accidentally crushed my files multiple files. Speedhacks helped me to catch up to be honest.

Others :
I think the documentation isn't updated at some points, for example, it is said that Riibbon could be obtained by defeating 4*? (Ozma I guess), yet I obtained an item called 4*? instead (4*? is actually 4 times the interrogation point, but it is automatically converted to ????) .
I wish the 1/35 soldiers could be obtainable in a another way when missed.
I played Hard mode up until I went out of Midgar, it automatically swiched back to Normal difficulty in the World Map. I though you could get gils from Field battles but I realized that when I reached Costa Del Sol.
I encountered some bugs, I think it is not related to the mod but it did cost me some time :
  • Some random crashes when switching screens from time to time, in a rapid succession
  • If Barret has W-cut and Enemy Launcher equipped, sometimes Barrets get stuck between the first and second attack, game can be paused but since he's stuck, the game cannot continue. It was annoying because Enemy Launcher has Slash-All and Triple materia growth
  • Casting Ultima with Quadra Magic leads to Emerald being frozen if it has his eyes opened, like Barret in the previous point, making Ultima difficult to abuse

More questions :
Regarding the 4*? item, what is it it's use ? I though of this item with that mysterious place where there are 4 inert save points in the crater (where you get Ultima). In the menu I can see that the item becomes usable, I try to use and the the screen fades to black and comes back to normal, that's all. It's like I just quit that place and came back again. Given that they are 4 inert save points, I guess there are 4 things to do before it becomes non inert anymore. Then I thought about that Chocobo in the Glacier, if you give a specific nut (I think), it tells you a creepy text :

Trapped in the sand: HEAD WALK CAST MUTE (1)
Forgotten in a house: DAZE FOR KEY CARDS (2)
Sealed in buried rock: GIVE SPECTRAL BILE LUCK (3)
Whirling in winds: HERO KING DROWNED IN WOE (4)

Not gonna lie, it freaked me out. I think 1 and 2 are respectively Ruby and Ozma but I can't guess which bosses are refered with 3 and 4. Emerald doesn't seem to match any of them as well. I probably missed something, I'm persuaded that it is linked to that mysterious place with these save points. When those 4 bosses are defeated, I can use the item and something should happen, right? I'd like some clarifications, maybe I'm totally wrong.

In all cases, I look forward updates on the mod, since it's so great to live that game again !

Type B is a bit half-baked but I'll revisit it at some point in the future, maybe after FF8 NT is done; I don't want to put anything else in front of getting that FF8 mod done if I can help it.

I try to split statuses up to spell effects and status ailments; so Remedy/Esuna will heal ailments, Dispel will deal with spell effects. It's currently treated as a spell effect to work counter to regen so it's under Dispel, but I guess it could shift over to Esuna instead. I kind of treat it like an ailment at times when I'm putting it onto an attack, like Poison.

It was mentioned a few times now that having 4x-Cut locked behind Ruby & Emerald Weapons, which are currently the highest scaled encounters, makes it a feel a bit useless so I'll move it elsewhere or something. And I'll change the prize stuff so that long range is replaced with something else.

Counter Materia max at 50%, though they have a higher starting rate which makes the lower level counter materia more useful. Just a balancing thing.

I can review ultimate weapons if they're not up to par. Crafting thing was removed because I always kind of thought of it as a nuisance.

There is less stuff on Disc 3 compared to 1.5; I was kind of just trying to streamline things and remove stuff that I looked at as bloat. I never really polished up the junon leagues or the dark cave sidequest.

I think I've corrected the documentation for 2.1, also the 1/35s are moving to non-missable areas which should be compatible with save files of any progression. The hard mode bug (and with switches in general, like the field music option) have also been cleared up in the upcoming patch. Unsure about the field switching thing, were any other mods on? The barret thing was in 1.5, but I assumed that was to do with the global flag rather than slash-all; if that's the case I'll need to set Enemy Launcher to work like the guns and be toggleable. And finally, the quad-ultima glitch is in base game (for PC) I believe. It's do with MP Absorb also being on there or something.

I'll go into more detail about the secret once the patch is up. Maybe.

Hello!

Playing for the first time on the latest version and I seem to have made a mistake with regards to Source Points. I did not read the instructions properly and after selecting upgrades I left the menu and just sort of assumed the upgrades went through. I now know how dumb of me that was and I was wondering if there is a way to reset Source Points? If not at least everything else will be a meaty challenge. :wink:

There isn't I'm afraid, but you can allocate the missing source points using a save editor as Sources are tracked separately to actual stats making them easy to modify.

Sorry for lack of activity, I'll have the 2.1 patch up during the weekend. Got a few things to sort out that were reported.

TheDrifter363

• View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: 2021-03-27 05:44:42 »
Sweeet thanks Sega Chief! So let me get this straight. The original 98 exe has a disc check. You modify the exe to add your own stuff, but you don't remove the disc check. Ooooh! I get it now. Cool. I thought when you guys are modifying the exe, you're also removing the disc check. I gotchu. Makes sense.

That'd be up to me to figure out how to get rid of the disc check, while preserving your changes. Hehe. Need to beef up my programming skills!

You know I thought any modifications of the exe would be removing the disc check, since it seems to be a pretty outdated DRM. You know with steam and all. And you can't buy the 98 version from official retailers anymore. Huh.

LVaulth

• View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: 2021-03-29 19:45:04 »
Sweeet thanks Sega Chief! So let me get this straight. The original 98 exe has a disc check. You modify the exe to add your own stuff, but you don't remove the disc check. Ooooh! I get it now. Cool. I thought when you guys are modifying the exe, you're also removing the disc check. I gotchu. Makes sense.

That'd be up to me to figure out how to get rid of the disc check, while preserving your changes. Hehe. Need to beef up my programming skills!

You know I thought any modifications of the exe would be removing the disc check, since it seems to be a pretty outdated DRM. You know with steam and all. And you can't buy the 98 version from official retailers anymore. Huh.

Just use the Seventh Heaven mod engine for mods, I believe it gets rid of the disc check.