Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838095 times)

BiOMEGA

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.997)
« Reply #11375 on: 2022-07-24 07:58:41 »
So I won all 20 battles in condor
Spoiler: show
and I see a lot of posts about getting masamune. But I received Ziedrich. Did I do something wrong? I checked with ochu and I have 15 battles, and 20 wins.

Since that item prompted my first visit here, too...
Masamune is still made by giving the right materials to the weapon smith in the little house near Gongaga. He tells you what he needs to make the Masamune.

Otonashi

• View Profile
« Reply #11376 on: 2022-07-24 19:59:48 »
Did I do something wrong though? Or was the reward just changed at some point?

BiOMEGA

• View Profile
« Reply #11377 on: 2022-07-24 20:45:32 »
Did I do something wrong though? Or was the reward just changed at some point?
I'm not sure when/if something changed about that, but the item in question was to my knowledge always obtained how I described; granted I only played a long long time ago and now very recently, so it's entirely possible it moved somewhere else in between. But I've only ever known it to be obtained in one way, and it's still that way.

Otonashi

• View Profile
« Reply #11378 on: 2022-07-24 20:50:04 »
Alright thank you. Sometimes my googlefu fails.

DefMettle

• He who shouts loudest can only hear his own voice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11379 on: 2022-07-25 16:24:16 »
Hey SC! Your changelog for 2.0996 states "Adjusted Ultimate Weapons; removed special formulas and gave them high base power instead (+30 ahead regular weapons)"
I had a peek at the Kernel and the Ultimate Weapons still have special damage formulas as of 2.0997.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11380 on: 2022-07-28 15:41:36 »
Hey SC! Your changelog for 2.0996 states "Adjusted Ultimate Weapons; removed special formulas and gave them high base power instead (+30 ahead regular weapons)"
I had a peek at the Kernel and the Ultimate Weapons still have special damage formulas as of 2.0997.

Ah, I was testing things out with them one more time (was on the fence about whether removing those formulas was a good idea or not) and must have gotten my kernels mixed up. I'll sort that out in the next update.

DefMettle

• View Profile
« Reply #11381 on: 2022-07-28 22:24:41 »
In game mode B you can morph the Organics and Enhance Sword from
the C S Yin Yang Boss in the Shinra mansion safe.
Organics is a cool reward at this point, but I feel as the Enhance sword has 40 attack, full paired slots and double growth this may be a bit early to get this "end game" weapon, my thoughts are maybe adjusting the weapon's stats or changing these enemies morph items.

Just my 2pence, I think the ultimate weapons should keep their special damage formulas :)
it makes them more interesting to use, I like how cloud's ultimate weapon has an opacity visual as to the damage it will do, and Yuffie's can use morph at full attack power. Things like this make experimenting with them more fun.
« Last Edit: 2022-07-28 22:34:26 by DefMettle »

DefMettle

• View Profile
« Reply #11382 on: 2022-07-28 22:59:57 »
Just an idea. I think removing one of Cloud's weapons and replacing it with the Masamune would be nice, making it exclusive to Cloud (maybe the Rune Blade or Crystal Sword, I never liked the look of these). I like the idea of the quest to get it (though I would make it alot more difficult).... and also maybe changing the name of the weapon as the Masamune is Sephiroth's sword, kinda doesn't make sense that your party and Sephiroth both have it.
I would suggest possibly naming it Kaneuji. http://www.nihonto-museum.com/blog/shizu-saburo-kaneuji

"Shizu Saburo Kaneuji
(兼氏—Kaneuji)
Lived in Yamato province before going to Mino to study under Masamune where his style radically changed. His swords are most like those of Masamune and quite often confused with his. The Mishina school can trace its history back to Kaneuji and Masamune."
« Last Edit: 2022-07-29 00:15:08 by DefMettle »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11383 on: 2022-07-29 10:35:55 »
In game mode B you can morph the Organics and Enhance Sword from
the C S Yin Yang Boss in the Shinra mansion safe.
Organics is a cool reward at this point, but I feel as the Enhance sword has 40 attack, full paired slots and double growth this may be a bit early to get this "end game" weapon, my thoughts are maybe adjusting the weapon's stats or changing these enemies morph items.

Just my 2pence, I think the ultimate weapons should keep their special damage formulas :)
it makes them more interesting to use, I like how cloud's ultimate weapon has an opacity visual as to the damage it will do, and Yuffie's can use morph at full attack power. Things like this make experimenting with them more fun.

Yeah you're right, I'm taking the easy way out there; I should track down the remaining formulas and modify them, rather than remove them, that's the proper way of doing this.

Will also look at that boss' morphs.

Just an idea. I think removing one of Cloud's weapons and replacing it with the Masamune would be nice, making it exclusive to Cloud (maybe the Rune Blade or Crystal Sword, I never liked the look of these). I like the idea of the quest to get it (though I would make it alot more difficult).... and also maybe changing the name of the weapon as the Masamune is Sephiroth's sword, kinda doesn't make sense that your party and Sephiroth both have it.
I would suggest possibly naming it Kaneuji. http://www.nihonto-museum.com/blog/shizu-saburo-kaneuji

"Shizu Saburo Kaneuji
(兼氏—Kaneuji)
Lived in Yamato province before going to Mino to study under Masamune where his style radically changed. His swords are most like those of Masamune and quite often confused with his. The Mishina school can trace its history back to Kaneuji and Masamune."

It'd be interesting to add the actual Masamune model for Cloud to use but I'm reluctant to replace other weapons for it.

BiOMEGA

• View Profile
« Reply #11384 on: 2022-07-29 15:19:43 »
To be fair, the ACTUALLY interesting ones are few - and half of them are Yuffie's Conformer, both because of the lvl-scaling and because of the Morph quirk.

For most of the others, the formulas aren't great. HP/MP based ones are boring, and feels-bad moments when you happen to get hit/drained. Missing Score is tough to get right between totally OP and sub-par, but also feels like a somewhat bland hoop to jump through for what's nothing but a static modifier that barely if ever affects how you play. Limit-Bar-based is interesting, but I personally also never liked it because it's either discouraging you to use limits or makes you feel like a wet rag during downtime when you do use limits.

I guess the question is: what role are ultimate weapons supposed to play? Are they supposed to be the #1 no-questions-asked go-to pick at endgame? Are they supposed to be extremely good in extremely specific circumstances, and not that great outside of them? Or somewhere in between?

Ironically, the gameplay that probably feels most like an actual ultimate weapon is the status shenanigans with Tifa - charging a weapon's power by balancing negative statuses feels like an actually meaningful gameplay decision (even though Curse Ring, and to some degree Death Force/Added Effect stuff, kind of makes Death Sentence way too easy to deal with). I'm not sure how much can be done given engine/combat system limitations; FF7 isn't the most complex in that respect.

Possible ideas that come to mind (with no regard as to how feasible they are to implement): dealing magic damage (vs. MDEF not DEF); auto-debuffs (e.g. Berserk, Dual, etc.); buff immunity; negative status buffs (e.g. -255 DEX etc.); zero materia slots; zombified.

I like that in some cases earlier weapons can remain competitive; I don't like that most of those involve DEF-ignoring weapons that make certain fights a joke (e.g. Ruby Weapon). Of course a mid-game weapon shouldn't be an endgame contender all the way through except in very rare circumstances; certainly they shouldn't just eclipse every weapon between when you get them and endgame (hi there, Powersoul). The lower AP burden in ANT has done a good job weakening the power of double/triple growth weapons, which is good; but there's also too many too good triple growth weapons still (hi there, Powersoul. What, again? geez.) which makes differentiation more difficult.

Overall, though, NT has a lot more variety in weapon choices - and, above all, MEANINGFUL choices - than the original which is fantastic.
« Last Edit: 2022-07-31 01:03:47 by BiOMEGA »

Otonashi

• View Profile
« Reply #11385 on: 2022-08-03 02:29:44 »
So according to the documentation and my google search of this site.
Godo should drop the leviathan scales. I did the pogoda right before midgar raid and did not receive them. Is there something I'm missing?

BiOMEGA

• View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: 2022-08-03 12:10:06 »
So according to the documentation and my google search of this site.
Godo should drop the leviathan scales. I did the pogoda right before midgar raid and did not receive them. Is there something I'm missing?

You're not entirely wrong, but also not quite correct:
You can fight Godo twice in NT: once as usual, after completing the Wutai quest; and then again on Disc 3 (I think? maybe earlier?), in an upgraded version. That one is where you get the Scales.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-03 12:11:37 by BiOMEGA »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: 2022-08-03 12:45:03 »
Ah my bad, the documentation doesn't specify which Godo encounter; I'll update it.

DefMettle

• View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: 2022-08-06 23:20:04 »
Yeah you're right, I'm taking the easy way out there; I should track down the remaining formulas and modify them, rather than remove them, that's the proper way of doing this.

Will also look at that boss' morphs.

It'd be interesting to add the actual Masamune model for Cloud to use but I'm reluctant to replace other weapons for it.

Yeah man, I think this is the way to go.

So far the morphs I've found pretty spot on apart from this boss.

yeah that's fair enough, I assume adding another weapon to Cloud is feasible, but looking into it briefly with my knowledge I don't know how.

loved this btw  :'(
« Last Edit: 2022-08-06 23:23:17 by DefMettle »

KomradKrunch

• View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: 2022-08-13 21:50:20 »
Hey Sega Chief!

Thanks for the mod; I'm really loving is so far. I'm attempting a limited XP run in hard mode, where I allow myself to level only once after each story milestone. I just made it out of Midgar at level 12, and the challenge so far has been just right -- I actually have to think about the mechanics of each boss fight but they're not huge slogs.

I'm having an issue with a bug, however, that's preventing me from moving forward.

The save crystal in Kalm won't allow me to toggle the XP setting. Specifically, it's locked whichever way I have it set at the crystal in Shinra HQ floor 70 post-Rufus. Selecting the option to toggle XP from the menu brings up the message that would normally appear, but with the same option that was already selected. Going into battle afterward confirms that it is not just a graphical glitch. I'm not sure if it's a problem with just that particular crystal or if it persists past this point.

Thanks again for all the work you do on this!
« Last Edit: 2022-08-14 04:41:36 by KomradKrunch »

Clayjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: 2022-08-14 17:40:07 »
Hey guys, 10 hours deep into the mod and I'm loving it.  I've run into a problem though and I'm not sure how to fix it.

The battle at Gongaga Reactor, My party is not fitting into the screen.  I tried Stretching the screen in the launcher
and that didn't help.  I'm sure its just something minor but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: 2022-08-16 09:52:10 »
Hey Sega Chief!

Thanks for the mod; I'm really loving is so far. I'm attempting a limited XP run in hard mode, where I allow myself to level only once after each story milestone. I just made it out of Midgar at level 12, and the challenge so far has been just right -- I actually have to think about the mechanics of each boss fight but they're not huge slogs.

I'm having an issue with a bug, however, that's preventing me from moving forward.

The save crystal in Kalm won't allow me to toggle the XP setting. Specifically, it's locked whichever way I have it set at the crystal in Shinra HQ floor 70 post-Rufus. Selecting the option to toggle XP from the menu brings up the message that would normally appear, but with the same option that was already selected. Going into battle afterward confirms that it is not just a graphical glitch. I'm not sure if it's a problem with just that particular crystal or if it persists past this point.

Thanks again for all the work you do on this!

I'll check that save point and update it tonight.

Hey guys, 10 hours deep into the mod and I'm loving it.  I've run into a problem though and I'm not sure how to fix it.

The battle at Gongaga Reactor, My party is not fitting into the screen.  I tried Stretching the screen in the launcher
and that didn't help.  I'm sure its just something minor but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Is this in the scene before the battle, or in the actual battle itself? It could be the camera data needs to be adjusted on my end if the party is off-screen. If it is in-battle, try toggling the camera mode to the other setting in the menu>config; I tend to do all my testing with the normal camera mode, rather than fixed.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: 2022-08-16 16:49:33 »
I'd like to report a minor bug. In the Sector 1 reactor, at the beginning of the game, the Field Music parameter doesn't work for regular battles (before the player triggers the bomb timer). I turned on the Field Music option as soon as I got to the save point before the bomb setup, immediately got a battle, and noticed that the regular battle music was still playing. It seems to be an issue only in this moment though; I loaded a different save and got into a battle elsewhere, and the field music option was working fine in battle.

Maybe it's just an incorrect flag somewhere?

There are lore implications with Cloud using the Masamune that perhaps would be too weird. Maybe for Game Type B it would be fine.

What do you think about adding a side quest that ends with the Buster Sword getting powered up to become Cloud's best weapon? I think that'd be super cool. The Buster Sword is Cloud's canonical sword; it'd be nice if he would circle back to using it at the end. Similarly to the Masamune in Chrono Trigger for Frog.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-16 16:57:05 by AuthenticM »

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: 2022-08-16 16:53:10 »
edit: double post, sorry.

Clayjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: 2022-08-16 23:41:17 »
Is this in the scene before the battle, or in the actual battle itself? It could be the camera data needs to be adjusted on my end if the party is off-screen. If it is in-battle, try toggling the camera mode to the other setting in the menu>config; I tend to do all my testing with the normal camera mode, rather than fixed.
[/quote]

During battle.  I've tried both camera options and they're still off screen.  It must be a problem on my end because I've seen recent playthroughs of the mod on YT and no one had the issue.

Edit:  Got it.  I've been running the 60FPS mod, it apparently bugs out this battle camera. 
« Last Edit: 2022-08-17 01:44:41 by Clayjoy »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.998)
« Reply #11395 on: 2022-08-18 16:06:53 »
I'd like to report a minor bug. In the Sector 1 reactor, at the beginning of the game, the Field Music parameter doesn't work for regular battles (before the player triggers the bomb timer). I turned on the Field Music option as soon as I got to the save point before the bomb setup, immediately got a battle, and noticed that the regular battle music was still playing. It seems to be an issue only in this moment though; I loaded a different save and got into a battle elsewhere, and the field music option was working fine in battle.

Maybe it's just an incorrect flag somewhere?

There are lore implications with Cloud using the Masamune that perhaps would be too weird. Maybe for Game Type B it would be fine.

What do you think about adding a side quest that ends with the Buster Sword getting powered up to become Cloud's best weapon? I think that'd be super cool. The Buster Sword is Cloud's canonical sword; it'd be nice if he would circle back to using it at the end. Similarly to the Masamune in Chrono Trigger for Frog.

It seems that when the flag is toggled, it won't affect the music until you visit the next screen. When I get a bit of time, I could sit down and add the music behaviour change itself to each save point's toggle function so that it's being immediately changed rather than only taking effect when the next screen loads.

Would like to power up older weapons in some way, but think it needs a separate kernel or some way to modify the static values loaded in by the kernel while the game is running.

During battle.  I've tried both camera options and they're still off screen.  It must be a problem on my end because I've seen recent playthroughs of the mod on YT and no one had the issue.

Edit:  Got it.  I've been running the 60FPS mod, it apparently bugs out this battle camera. 

Gotcha; thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can alter the battle camera somehow to avoid this.

Patch is up, 2.0998
-) Disabled encounters during Church barrels scene
-) Tweaked save option pre-Bizarro boss (can save after each party reorganisation instead of once only)
-) Improved scene handling in final area (saving, fade transitions, character placement)
-) Fixed party leader support for secret event (North Crater, Type B)
-) Added minor visual use for Flowers key item during two potential scenes
-) Added logic to check for escape during Red Materia cave boss battle (was unable to replicate exploit but added anyway)
-) Adjustment to Hojo dialogue (Mako Cannon, Disc 2)
-) Fixed toggle for No Exp at Kalm Savepoint
-) Reverted change to Ultimate weapons (special formulas, 0 base power)

I'm about to run out of numbers, maybe it's time to jump up to 2.1 soon?
« Last Edit: 2022-08-18 16:10:53 by Sega Chief »

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: 2022-08-19 01:05:24 »
It seems that when the flag is toggled, it won't affect the music until you visit the next screen. When I get a bit of time, I could sit down and add the music behaviour change itself to each save point's toggle function so that it's being immediately changed rather than only taking effect when the next screen loads.

Ah, I see, I wasn't aware of this. If that's the case, then that's fine. I don't mind that. I was just worried that the feature wasn't working properly. If changing the music behaviour requires too much work, then you don't have to worry about that.

Would like to power up older weapons in some way, but think it needs a separate kernel or some way to modify the static values loaded in by the kernel while the game is running.

So it would require a lot of work / would be hard ?

I'm about to run out of numbers, maybe it's time to jump up to 2.1 soon?

I have a request for 2.1. Could you please make it so that Aerith can only be revived in Game Type B? I really like the content partitioning between Game Type A and B, A being essentially a "vanilla+" experience, while B goes buck wild with changes. But the possibility of saving Aerith does not jive with the rest of the vanilla+ experience that is Game Type A. I know some people who are adamant about not wanting to touch New Threat because of the possibility of saving Aerith, and altering the game's story, being merely present, while at the same time being interested in the new game systems and mechanics. If saving Aerith was scrubbed from Type A, I know that it would get more people to try out the mod. The new bosses aren't an issue because the crazy endgame bosses are locked behind a flag that is only triggered when you reach the very end of the last dungeon, which everyone only reaches after they have experienced the vanilla endgame. And the couple of mandatory new bosses such as the Nemesis Scorpion tank are minor and are well-integrated into the lore.

I know you've been resistant to this request in the past, but I would seriously appreciate it if you could reconsider. New Threat might have been known as "the mod that lets you save Aerith" in the past, but I think this reputation lapsed years ago. New Threat is bigger than this now, and I truly believe that the mod would benefit from secluding Saving Aerith to Game Type B because it would cater to a bigger demographic.

Please.

Thank you.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: 2022-08-19 01:59:33 »
Ah, I see, I wasn't aware of this. If that's the case, then that's fine. I don't mind that. I was just worried that the feature wasn't working properly. If changing the music behaviour requires too much work, then you don't have to worry about that.

So it would require a lot of work / would be hard ?

I have a request for 2.1. Could you please make it so that Aerith can only be revived in Game Type B? I really like the content partitioning between Game Type A and B, A being essentially a "vanilla+" experience, while B goes buck wild with changes. But the possibility of saving Aerith does not jive with the rest of the vanilla+ experience that is Game Type A. I know some people who are adamant about not wanting to touch New Threat because of the possibility of saving Aerith, and altering the game's story, being merely present, while at the same time being interested in the new game systems and mechanics. If saving Aerith was scrubbed from Type A, I know that it would get more people to try out the mod. The new bosses aren't an issue because the crazy endgame bosses are locked behind a flag that is only triggered when you reach the very end of the last dungeon, which everyone only reaches after they have experienced the vanilla endgame. And the couple of mandatory new bosses such as the Nemesis Scorpion tank are minor and are well-integrated into the lore.

I know you've been resistant to this request in the past, but I would seriously appreciate it if you could reconsider. New Threat might have been known as "the mod that lets you save Aerith" in the past, but I think this reputation lapsed years ago. New Threat is bigger than this now, and I truly believe that the mod would benefit from secluding Saving Aerith to Game Type B because it would cater to a bigger demographic.

Please.

Thank you.

It's pretty late and I'll need to think about this; if anyone has an opinion on it, then feel free to chime in. I did actually consider locking it to Type B a few times during the development of 2.0 but I had a couple of reasons for not doing that in the end, will go over those tomorrow. I'm open to changing my mind though.

AhBeng2

• View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: 2022-08-19 03:45:51 »
It's pretty late and I'll need to think about this; if anyone has an opinion on it, then feel free to chime in. I did actually consider locking it to Type B a few times during the development of 2.0 but I had a couple of reasons for not doing that in the end, will go over those tomorrow. I'm open to changing my mind though.

Hi Sega,

I have some requests for version 2.1 if you do eventually create one. A while ago, I suggested that Aeris (if she is revived) should have a stronger reaction to Cloud handing over the Black Materia to Sephiroth at the Northern Crater in Disc 2. Currently, she is pretty much a passive observer to the whole event; which is very odd from a story perspective. Hopefully, you can add some dialogue for her in version 2.1 to make the whole event more coherent. 

I also did suggest having Aeris collaborate with Tifa to "fix" Cloud's mind in the lifestream during the Mideel sequence since in the OG, it was left ambiguous as how Tifa's (and Cloud's) mind survived after drowning in the lifestream. I understand that you were very reluctant to make this modification previously, but I hope that you will take this suggestion onboard this time around.

This one will be difficult but it will be good to have more story modifications (akin to the Midgar part) to the Type B version of NT; if possible.

Thanks for all your hard work.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-19 03:47:56 by AhBeng2 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.999)
« Reply #11399 on: 2022-08-19 12:07:31 »
Had to update prematurely, I left the red materia cave boss HP low for testing by mistake. We're on 2.0999 now; only change was to their HP.

Hi Sega,

I have some requests for version 2.1 if you do eventually create one. A while ago, I suggested that Aeris (if she is revived) should have a stronger reaction to Cloud handing over the Black Materia to Sephiroth at the Northern Crater in Disc 2. Currently, she is pretty much a passive observer to the whole event; which is very odd from a story perspective. Hopefully, you can add some dialogue for her in version 2.1 to make the whole event more coherent. 

I also did suggest having Aeris collaborate with Tifa to "fix" Cloud's mind in the lifestream during the Mideel sequence since in the OG, it was left ambiguous as how Tifa's (and Cloud's) mind survived after drowning in the lifestream. I understand that you were very reluctant to make this modification previously, but I hope that you will take this suggestion onboard this time around.

This one will be difficult but it will be good to have more story modifications (akin to the Midgar part) to the Type B version of NT; if possible.

Thanks for all your hard work.

We discussed this idea before, and I'm not keen on the Mideel part of it. I can't recall what I said before, but that character doesn't really have anything to do with that scene in general; it's Cloud and Tifa figuring things out around the events of Nibelheim. I'd rather leave the how of it ambiguous than use Aeris like some sort of magic bullet to explain it away and then have her hanging around for that whole thing like a third wheel.

I'll look at the black materia scene though, from what I recall the 3rd character you take with you will usually just kind of stand there in idle for the whole scene. This carried over from vanilla, so what I could do is try and rectify that to a small extent. Nothing major, just something so it doesn't seem as odd.