Author Topic: New Pete's OpenGL shader  (Read 7728 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
New Pete's OpenGL shader
« on: 2016-02-14 22:23:47 »
Aali's did say it is fairly easy to adapt shaders of Pete's OpenGL psx plugin for his driver, but I don't know how to do it properly. :cry:
 I'm highly interested in a new shader which would use XBR only on parts of an image with low resolution:
http://ngemu.com/threads/links-and-guides-to-custom-shaders-for-petes-opengl2-plugin.76098/page-33

This shader would be perfect for FF7, because it could work on the animated lightlayer as well.

Please I need somebody who could take a look on it and tries to bring it to work with FF7.

Jahiliyyah

• View Profile
Re: New Pete's OpenGL shader
« Reply #1 on: 2016-02-14 23:41:13 »
You're looking at Hyllian's shader right? He's done a lot of work on developing and porting filters and shaders across platforms. In the thread he even says he has super-xbr x2 working which is only behind NNEDI3 in quality for image upscaling but has way better performance and compatibility.

Hi, this is a PoC of the shader I'm working to filter 2D elements and let 3D untouched. So it's good to use with High Internal Resolution.

I chose ePSXe to release first because it render pixels perfectly square.

Inside this shader there's a var called XBR_RES and its default value is 3.0. You can tweak it between 1.0 and 5.0 (maybe it can go upper), though I can't see the results for it bigger than 3.0, as my notebook has a resolution of 1366x768, so it only can upscale by 3x max on psx games. I tested it with Resident Evil games and they worked very well!!

Using the latest xBR from the post above, I''ve managed to insert the 3D code from the old one (the slower one) and now it runs at 60fps on my humble PC!! It's running perfectly on games with 2D with 3D elements!

He's done a lot of ports for different emulators. If you contact him, he might point you in the right direction. I mean he is the guy that developed xBR and super-xBR so he should know.

If you do learn how to port the shaders I would recommend looking into xBRZ which is based on xBR,
created by Zenju and implemented from scratch as a CPU-based filter in C++. It uses the same basic idea as xBR's pattern recognition and interpolation, but with a different rule set designed to preserve fine image details as small a few pixels. This makes it useful for scaling the details in faces, and in particular eyes. xBRZ is optimized for multi-core CPUs and 64-bit architectures and shows 40-60% better performance than HQx even when running on a single CPU core only. It supports scaling images with an alpha channel, and scaling by factors from 2x up to 6x.

It's really well suited for old PSX titles and handhelds like the PSP while super-xBR is overkill I think and not really optimized for game graphics yet. Specifically I think xBRZ is better with fine detail on anti-aliased edges and clothing. I personally saw a night and day difference playing Fate/Extra with it on my desktop.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=306

Found a xBRZ texture scaler for PeteOpenGL2, it's not a shader apparently (scale screen output) but maybe you can figure it out better than me.
http://ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/

http://ngemu.com/threads/xbrz-high-quality-image-scaler-for-epsxe.156188/page-3
« Last Edit: 2016-02-21 14:24:36 by Jahiliyyah »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-16 03:50:59 »
I have contact him and he seems to give it a try. But the forum is currently down for me, so I can't send him the necessary shader files.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-02-16 19:07:50 »
So I encountered another problem. He said that he can't work on the shader without having the game. I would gift it him but I can't send him a personal message. Well I need to buy it again, but I think the work he has done is this worth. Or does someone has a free steam copy of the game? Well at first I need to know if he has Steam at all.