Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI - Definitive  (Read 117597 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Final Fantasy VI - Definitive
« Reply #125 on: 2010-04-19 08:46:40 »
Quote from: Changeling link=topic=7330.msg133260#msg133260 date=1270258695
Also Gjoerulv, I need to ask you some questions so can you leave your MSN open?
[/quote
oh, sorry, didn't see this 'til now. I'm usually only on msn when I play xbox. I think it's better if you pm me. Then I'll see it in my mail. I'm not that active on msn anymore  :P

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy VI - Definitive
« Reply #126 on: 2010-06-03 18:59:50 »
*shameless bump*

Anyone knows the whereabouts of Changeling? Is he going to finish this?
I was hoping i could get my hands on the *perfect* version of FFVI..

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VI - Definitive
« Reply #127 on: 2010-06-28 16:43:35 »
Just came across this site: http://ffvi2.webs.com/
This guy is attempting to do a remake of FFVI from scratch (no rom hack) with some decent results.

Don't know the details of it but screens show some nice results:

- Picture 1
- Picture 2
- Picture 3

- Video

Can't say i like the way he has redone the windows but still, looks promising.
Would be nice to have this and Changeling project (from this topic) both done together.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2010-06-28 16:56:03 »
Wow, that's pretty nice except for the "new storyline".   And I think it's safe to say Changeling's project won't be completed until 2013.. maybe.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2010-06-28 17:05:01 »
From what i read the guy is doing a remake AND a prequel.
Read around his site and the game is around 800mb now due to the quality of maps, etc.

He seems to work pretty fast, which is a plus.
Also, i've pm'ed changeling on his facebook to see if he plans to end his project, let's see if he replies..

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2010-06-29 01:04:08 »
I'd like to see new sound effects in this HD remake, and maybe widescreen. Maybe a new font. It seems kind of odd that he'd remake parts of it, but leave other parts sorely lacking.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2010-06-29 10:19:15 »
He said his remake is almost done and that can then be used as a template for other mods/projects such as the one in this topic.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2010-06-30 00:03:24 »
I'll definitely play it if its done(since I've never played it before). When I download his remake can it already be played in the pc or can an emulator do it or do I have to port it to my ps2?
Don't mind the question I already know. :)
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 00:07:59 by nikfrozty »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2010-07-24 17:25:20 »
This guy is attempting to do a remake of FFVI from scratch (no rom hack) with some decent results.

- Picture 1
- Picture 2
- Picture 3

- Video

Can't say i like the way he has redone the windows but still, looks promising.
Would be nice to have this and Changeling project (from this topic) both done together.

An update on this, i guess:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LqZP20ne8

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2010-07-24 20:54:38 »
This looks really great, I'll play this for sure ! I'm working on my FFVII mod (FFVII AV) right now, but I attempted my own FFVI hack a while ago, that I called FFVI AV. YouTube video here. Development didn't go as well as planned... ...making the guy in the colosseum controllable and other weird things made Kefka (who replaced Gau) unable to return from the Veldt (and never mind about the weird dialogs in these vids, Strago was supposed to be Edgar when I edited the text... ...and wow at the nice engrish. Even though it's not my natural language, I've made progress since then) ...

Anyway, I learned much at the time (things that will mainly benefit FFVII AV), and I can say that what you've been showing us is amazing. It takes a lot of time / work to edit events, monsters and mechanics in this game. And your graphical enhancements made my jaw drop. Very, very nice work !! :D

EDIT : Gah, I just read that it's not a rom hack, and that it's not yours.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 21:32:23 by Armorvil »

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2010-07-25 22:09:48 »

- Picture 1
- Picture 2
- Picture 3

- Video

That looks really good!
I love the battle sprites in the second image.

Has anyone mentioned the FFVI SDK project yet?

http://ff6sdk.webs.com/

It's basically a template too.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #136 on: 2011-05-03 10:50:18 »
Wow, that's pretty nice except for the "new storyline".   And I think it's safe to say Changeling's project won't be completed until 2013.. maybe.

Hahaha you may be right. 

This high definition touch up looks pretty but I'd say my...whatever may actually be finished.  See, I was almost done with this thing years ago and my computer crashed, I know that sounds like an excuse but no sh*t it really did.  I always seem to bounce back to the older Final Fantasy games and I keep thinking man I wish I didn't lose that retranslation.  Because the Woolsley one is awful and the GBA looks and sounds terrible...so I can never decide which one to go with.  If I'm going to take another shot at this it would be cool to collaborate with actually anyone to help speed up the process, because basically it's just throwing the new translation over the old without the censorship.  Especially anyone here with romhacking experience.  Like Skyrender, he translated the Japanese version of the game and there were no space limitations or any bullsh*t like that.  I don't want to have to compensate with something like "Antdot" it just looks stupid.  Normally I would not take on something like this but I'm surprised no one else has already done this. 

Anyway, anyone who would like to join me on this project, some of you seem still interested after all this time, then join me and we'll finish it.

Also, there may be a 3DS remake of VI and well, I don't think it will be better than the original.  I know a lot of you here may not agree with me on that because you are tearing apart the PC version of VII to try and remake it yourselves but this is totally worth it, hang on to it forever you know.  That's another reason I'm surprised this hasn't been done because it won't take that long.  Some of you take a break from that for a few days and we could get this done, fast.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-03 10:59:42 by Changeling »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #137 on: 2011-05-03 10:52:04 »
Nightmarish I'm looking in your direction.  There's nothing to it, take a look at this program.

FF3usME

http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/
« Last Edit: 2011-05-03 10:54:05 by Changeling »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2011-05-03 10:56:49 »
Really hoping to see this completed  ;D

I can try to help you but i don't have experience at all on modding.
I'm only a lurker in these forums after all.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2011-05-03 17:36:28 »
Aww, you got my hopes up when I saw a new post in this thread.

If I had any romhacking skills beyond replacing sprites in Super Mario Bros and using premade Pokémon tools to put a lv90 Mewtwo in Viridian Forest. Alas, I cannot help with a project of any legitimate usefulness. :(

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2011-05-03 18:13:04 »
if you complete this I will give VI another chance.  Translations didn't get decent until FF8, where they finally had the budget to get a professional.

Suggest also running the monster names and kana by me and the spells etc, if you want to, and correct those and all.  Because already I've seen 1 of the main monsters wrong.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2011-05-03 19:14:03 »
In Woolsey's case, it wasn't because he didn't know what he was doing, or was unsuited to the job, or anything like that. On the contrary, he did the best he could given the limitations he had to work through. Size limitations and perhaps more significantly a fixed-width font would have made a more accurate translation impossible, so instead he focused on conveying the story and tone as accurately as could fit, even if it meant that the actual words weren't quite spot on.

Games from FF7 on had the advantage of being more localization-friendly, what with being stored on a disc and having a completely different text-rendering system. VII squandered this with a shoddy translation, but in this case I'm not so sure it was a matter of budget as it was incompetence.

And before someone inevitably brings up the "spoony bard" line, I should point out that Ted Woolsey had nothing to do with FFIV.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2011-05-04 02:17:59 »
Woot!  I was just talking about this project the other day.  Go, Changeling, Go!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2011-05-04 02:24:00 »
yeah true limitations did have an effect.  http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crazy_Horse Crazy Horse ended up as mad pony hahahaha
« Last Edit: 2011-05-04 02:56:00 by DLPB »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 2011-05-04 10:27:17 »
Woolsey gets a lot of flak... from people who have never attempted the translation themselves. Woolsey worked with extraordinary limitations to create entertaining and profitable (!) videogames. The alternatives would have been either dry or technically impossible.

Thad

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2011-05-12 00:35:04 »
It also bears noting that the GBA translation really does include a hell of a lot of the Woolsey text -- it just essentially doubles each of his lines to add more detail and nuance.

Its one real drawback was that the additional text (and obnoxious text crawl, a "feature" which did not need to be added) threw off the audio synch of the ending.  Shadow's apparent suicide loses a lot of its effect when the background music has already changed to Strago's theme.

But I really do find the GBA translation the best I've seen, and would love to see it retrofitted into the technically superior SNES version of the game.  Add me in as another guy looking forward to this.

WeretigerRei

« Reply #146 on: 2011-07-29 04:22:30 »
Dont mean to necro bump but perhaps this will help

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/657/

Tried this one VisualBoyAdvance worked fine but it lagged a little more than i remember it. Battle music sounded great. Didnt play the Opera scene though.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-29 05:08:10 by WeretigerRei »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2011-07-29 04:26:02 »
yeah additional to comment above, I agree...  ff6 and 7 both suffered because of square more than the translator... time and technical limitations severely hampering what they could and could not do....  Not to say it couldnt have been better with those limitations but Ted really was against the fire (I have done some reading).

siaho

« Reply #148 on: 2011-11-21 09:43:38 »
if this project is dead i will fully understand, however....

does anyone have the most complete version laying around anywhere?
i would LOVE to play this.

should this project still have life in it somewhere i want to extend my encouragement. i'd love to help also, but....
hell, i can't code. anything. at all.
so encouragement it is then.

one thing i noted throughout was a passing desire to incorporate the FMVs in some way?
my best advice: why not patch the psx version?

of course, knowing nothing about coding, i must admit i have NO IDEA how hard that could be.

if i get nothing out of this but the ips file to try it for myself though, than thank you

nickblames

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2011-12-03 12:44:36 »
http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff6/ff6downloads.htm

Has a fair number of the patches people are asking about.  The GBA version with Sound/Color fixed is about the best we can get for now.  If only someone could port in the uncensored graphics/scenes and add the options for harder difficulties (or point me toward the tools that would allow me to do so) we'd have the perfect FFVI playing experience.

Also, anybody have the most complete version of the .ips?  The one from posted on yousendit and mirrored by Covarr?  Both are long gone I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-03 15:02:26 by nickblames »