Final Fantasy 7 > General Discussion

[FF7PC] Are there any mods that fix the PC port's broken lighting?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Kaldarasha:
I think it is more possible, that textures are unaffected by the light on the PSX to keep the stress on the hardware small. On PC they just didn't cared about this behavior and they probably didn't knew of it.

Lollie:

--- Quote from: Sega Chief on 2021-07-21 15:30:04 ---I'm no expert on how the models/lighting etc. work but you mentioned that you were guessing that lighting wasn't being applied additively to Cloud's PC field model textures, and I think I can confirm that this is the case.

--- End quote ---
I ended up doing some more poking around, and the answer might be even simpler. On PC, textures on models appear to be rendered half as bright as they're supposed to be. Like, if a vertex color has a range of 0-100%, textures on models seemingly only reach 0-50%. Doubling how bright textures render could actually be the way to fix them. It could probably be done via the "pixel.hlsl" shader file, if someone can figure out what variable FF7-PC needs in order to specifically target textures on models. (otherwise, you end up with backgrounds, menu graphics, and world-map skies being rendered too bright as a result.)

I landed on this answer while having a quick peek at the World Map, it turns out this texture brightness rendering issue affects *all* textured models. It's not the only issue, but it makes a big difference.

[full-res screenshot comparison via this Imgur album]

--- Quote from: Kaldarasha on 2021-07-21 18:33:05 ---I think it is more possible, that textures are unaffected by the light on the PSX to keep the stress on the hardware small. On PC they just didn't cared about this behavior and they probably didn't knew of it.

--- End quote ---
Naw, PS1 could handle both vertex lighting and vertex colors on textured models without any big issues - Crash Bandicoot, Tekken 2, and Tomb Raider are all examples.

Here's a quick shot from FF7-PS1 (using a very high internal resolution in DuckStation to get a clean screenshot). You can see that the same features are darker on the more shadowed side of Cloud's face. Textures are definitely affected by field lighting in FF7-PS1.

Kuraudo.:
Just would like to point out the following video, we can observe that PS1 is darker compare with PC. - not valid

We should have real PS1 hardware and Steam version on the same screen, with the same settings for both inputs on the display - with all "enhancement" disabled (if to define the difference of bright/contrast/color interpolation which should be different in fact.)

And not emulated versions.

Bonez:
Is it weird I think it actually looks better on PC than PS1?

Kuraudo.:
OG was meant to be displayed on CRT screen at that time, the scanline is good in hiding artifacts.

I believe it's just de gustibus: a matter of taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version