Author Topic: Apology  (Read 69932 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
Apology
« on: 2011-02-25 02:26:29 »
So I just took like... I don't know... 2-3 hours pruning my inbox and realized I used to enjoy coming around here and actually had some friends until I was given THE POWER!  In my effort to get this site to be what it used to, I've started getting more and more frustrated with the slightest breaking of any rule, treating any and all "newbies" as if they were the same person repeatedly breaking the smallest rule.

I feel like there is no longer a warm welcome to newcomers, and I know I personally immediately look for what they're doing wrong.  And I don't like that...  So no more.   Tomorrow is Friday, which means no school.  I'm going to go back through the rules and completely revise them and put them in the FAQ section.  90% of newbies won't be reading the rules no matter how many places it's posted, so we'll just keep the one.

I hate that I've become so bitter towards this forum, so along with the new rules will be my new attitude.  Slowly but surely I developed an elitist "better than thou" persona and I really don't like it.   And also out goes the nitpicking.   If you guys see something happening you don't like, report it.  Otherwise I'll just be chilling unless I notice something EXTREMELY wrong.  These are your forums after all, and all the nitpicking I've been doing only serves to make me even more bitter.

So there it is. I'm sorry.  Now time to turn over a new leaf.  :?:

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Apology
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-25 02:32:34 »
The fact that you came to this on your own just proves you're right for the job :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-25 05:25:21 »
Thanks man!

Revised rules page is up and running, but I probably need to add in something about the ripping models subject.  I'm in such a good mood I might petition qhimm to see if he'll make me an admin :P

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-25 05:28:40 »
kool stuff! glad to hear bout it, i might suggest changing the text under your avatar if you want to evoke the image you depicted though :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-25 05:31:56 »
On it

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-25 07:18:46 »
What is it about being a admin that makes people so...ummm... "Anti-social-like" if there is such a thing. I have caught myself more then once being overly aggressive and mean. In comparison to my normal self...But to actually admit that you have changed shows incredible maturity and grace! I belong to dozens of forums and NEVER have I encountered such an act. You pinpointed in your post how you felt and how you plan to fix the situation, if it were possible I'd elect you admin of the internet!! But I suppose just a day of this task would (in theory) drive you mad.

Not that its the popular thing to do on a gaming forum but, like life one needs to look at the big picture. Its good to air your feelings guys let people know you were wrong or admit to a problem. You don't have to "win" every post, overtime I believe it erodes your sense of judgement and makes you irreproachable in a social environment. Its not gay to open up once in awhile guys, and turn over a new leaf.

/Rant

...what, don't look at me like that I haven't posted anything in awhile. :-[ (Runs Away)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-25 09:12:22 »
:)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-25 11:56:25 »
The fact that you came to this on your own just proves you're right for the job :)

Really! These last times, I saw that there is newbies who simply got rejected like the one who posted in "What's in the work" to say he's a new members and got 75% warning because of that. Maybe warn him, but I think that was exaggerated. On another hand, I saw a great sarcasm in this post and I believe sometimes the mods can be really nice, while sometimes they act like $*1t (not to criticize any of them - all of the moderators here do their jobs well) because they become really frustrated about the rules being not respected neither than the other members. I do understand why moderators are so frustrated sometimes. I know this is something hard - even people that act like $*1t can be very nice in fact. So I forgive you (or do I? Do we need? You were doing your job very well and this thread is the proof of that). All of the warning I once receive were justified (and I believe it is so for all members) and I don't do the same mistakes twice. At my first warning, I was : "I hate obesebear, and he is nothing but a pill of $*1t!" and now I am : "Well, I understand why he did that or that. That was justified." I could write a lot but I think I will only repeat things.

Woah, I wrote so much? :o

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-25 14:28:34 »
Been in that postion years ago, when i was admin in a huge gaming site.
At first i was also a bit strict on the rules but later i've realised it was better to loose a bit.

Give users a chance, like 3~5, to break the rules, after that issue a *real* warning.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-25 14:29:50 »
What, no wait.. I want old obesebear back!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-25 14:33:14 »
I thought Obesebear was a little like Scrooge McDuck
Just not as rich but every bit as strict.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-25 15:04:41 »

Really! These last times, I saw that there is newbies who simply got rejected like the one who posted in "What's in the work" to say he's a new members and got 75% warning because of that.
That was a spambot, lol.  His email is [email protected].  I mean, if you'd like to keep talking with him through email, that's your prerogative I suppose.  I just figured it was in the best interest of the site to ban him  ;-)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-25 18:02:55 »
Niceguy McGee's good humor seems to be contagious.  You don't have to liten to me off course, but remember you (Obesebear) mentioned that there was the strict mod, the pacifist mod, and the in-betweener...this was a nice balance.  I'm thinking this change of heart is along the lines of Authoritarian --> Authoratative as opposed to Soldier --> Hippie right?  Glad you're feeling good man.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-25 18:51:37 »
@Obesebear:

I don't think you took a 'holier than thou' attitude. I think you were drained by the sheer workload of moderating a large forum, and after spending countless hours cleaning up after clueless noobs, became (understandably) annoyed at people you felt were making your life difficult for the sake of not reading a rule FAQ. That's understandable.

At any rate, acknowledging a need for a softer attitude >>> throwing a public fit and trying to sabotage the forum. I shall say no more.

Jari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-25 19:40:51 »
At any rate, acknowledging a need for a softer attitude >>> throwing a public fit and trying to sabotage the forum. I shall say no more.

Oh, I think you should. You definitely should.

I for one am dying to hear this.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-02-25 19:43:29 »
Is Jari really back? :o

/offtopic

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-02-25 20:57:59 »
I would say that I felt vindicated by this thread, but something is off. Obesebear is being too nice. I think he's up to something! J'accuse! ;D

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-02-25 21:07:54 »
Grats on 3500 posts Kudistos, now go out and enjoy some nature or something!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-02-25 21:12:38 »
Grats on 3500 posts Kudistos, now go out and enjoy some nature or something!

Not until I've finished reading my books on Norse mythology.

Also, I had 3500 posts before, but some of them were in the superfluous "rules" threads that got deleted.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #19 on: 2011-02-25 22:57:21 »
...what, don't look at me like that I haven't posted anything in awhile. :-[ (Runs Away)

its alll gooood

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-02-25 23:30:55 »
Is Jari really back?
Question seconded.
I feel like "no".

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-02-26 01:56:37 »
Jari never really totally left, just never posted.

Jari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-02-26 05:58:01 »
Is Jari really back?
Question seconded.
I feel like "no".

No, of course not. I have no interest whatsoever.

But I am curious about your comment, and waiting for you to elaborate.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-02-26 07:03:54 »
This place needs harsh mods to weed out the idiots! I've been posting for five years and following for 5 years before that - the early days were much more strict ^_^

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-02-26 07:53:53 »
Jari never really totally left, just never posted.

I feel as if THIS should be seconded...

This place needs harsh mods to weed out the idiots! I've been posting for five years and following for 5 years before that - the early days were much more strict ^_^

Why? It's not weeding out anything. Newbies are not clearly affected  by harsh modding. Still get the same questions over and over.

This is about somebody overcoming there bitterness and looking for a more positive look on the forum ^_^. Something that a bitter crabby other person needs to improve upon.

waiting for you to elaborate.
Would it be too much to ask that you let it go? He did say "I will say no more" after all.  :-[