Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remix - A compilation of FF7 Mods [1.0-2.5.1]  (Read 1246669 times)

TheInfinityX

Hey all,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their hard work.  Modding FFVII takes time, and I appreciate your efforts. I do have a question for titeguy though.  You might have covered this all ready, but is "Phoenix Rejuvenation Project" in your 2.3.1 patch?  Or is it just NPC reconstruction project .60? I downloaded PRP and tried to install it on top of your patcher, but it doesn't work.  I read the release notes and it looks like there are more models than NPCRP so I wanted to try it.  If PRP isn't in your patcher, do you think you will be including it in the future?  Thanks again!

-X

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Good question. Included is the older NPC Reconstruction 0.6 patch for 2 reasons:

1) It's easier to install - In the Phoenix Rejuvenation Project, the game's files have been renamed and crammed into an executable that doesn't work on all setups. I've personally never been able to successfully install it, but if somebody were to give me some of the modded PRP files with their original filenames, I'd definitely check them out and consider throwing them into a newer version of the patch (*if* that's okay with the people who made the PRP...I know they were going for an all-encompassing patch with their project, so I wouldn't want to rain on their parade)

2) There's been some controversy over some of the PRP models...they've begun to insist upon creating all of their models from scratch, rather than rehashing the game's models, but some people seem to think that some of the models used deviate too much from the original feel of the game, or that they aren't an improvement from previous versions. As such, I decided that playing it safe with the older, more familiar version wouldn't be a problem.

FFFUUU

• View Profile
There are a LOT of things you're missing. What you focus on is the main game, but not the little details that feel like they're missing.

Advent Avatars mod
Saint's High Resolution patch
Chocobo Racing/Upside-down cutscene patch
Mini-games patcher
Not sure if it looks better, but maybe the Reunion patch
Scene Redux 1.2
Not sure if you have it or not, but New Spell Patch
Laptop key patch
TrueMotion codec

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
At least three of those mods are obsolete (the High Resolution patch, Chocobo Racing/Upside-down cutscene patch and the Mini-games patcher have been superseded by the custom graphics driver). I think a few of the other ones are obsolete as well.

Also, your username suggests that you've just lost the game.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Advent Avatars mod <-- I explained why I omitted this a few posts up
Saint's High Resolution patch <-- The custom graphics driver does what this mod does better and without glitches
Chocobo Racing/Upside-down cutscene patch <-- ditto
Mini-games patcher <-- ditto
Not sure if it looks better, but maybe the Reunion patch <-- It doesn't IMHO
Scene Redux 1.2 <-- What is this? You must either mean the new FMV's (which are included) or costa's new backgrounds (which still aren't yet complete enough to be considered an improvement)
Not sure if you have it or not, but New Spell Patch <-- I have one that I made myself
Laptop key patch <-- This is just stupid. If you can't figure out how to hold the [fn] key to use a laptop number pad, you don't deserve to play the game...besides, this overrides people's control configurations, so if I included it, it would just reset their controls, which is just annoying
TrueMotion codec <-- This actually *is* included, not to mention the fact that it isn't even necessary now that the custom graphics driver renders it unnecessary

There are a few mods that you could have named that I don't have, but I'm not gonna bother naming 'em cause
A) I already have on this thread
B) I've already mentioned that this wasn't meant to be the "best" compilation of FF7 mods, just a good start
C) It isn't wise to feed the trolls...

FFFUUU

• View Profile
Advent Avatars mod <-- Still looks ridiculously better, and it only shows their faces really
Reunion patch <-- Can you at least show a screenshot comparison?
Scene Redux 1.2 <-- This patch makes almost all enemies morphable into items, It also prevents to steal and win the same item at once a makes the stealing rate more realistic and less frustrating. The Mod also introduces some items that were not carried by any enemy before thus trying to rebalance the underrepresentation and uniformity of the number of stealable items.

skifreak107

• View Profile
So I'm trying to get this to work now, but its not. What's the best way to troubleshoot any issues? I'm running Win7 Retail (a legit copy), 32 bit. Installed FF7 from my original game disks, have play disk 1 (not install disk) in my drive. Installed the download from the first post. When I run the batch file or the start menu shortcut, ff7music runs, the screen blanks for a moment, and then closes, ff7music closes.

My laptop has more than enough power to run the game, native resolution 1680x1050. Here is my opengl config and the output from FF7Music, any ideas?:

Code: [Select]
# ff7_opengl config file

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# plugins
# a movie plugin is required, the music plugin is optional, but required to make FF7Music work
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp
music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

# vertex and fragment shaders
vert_source = shaders/main.vert
frag_source = shaders/main.frag

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/smartbloom.post
enable_postprocessing = no

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# set the window size (and fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1680
window_size_y = 1050
preserve_aspect = no
fullscreen = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = no

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = on

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = yes

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# this option requires you to have all your LGP archives unpacked in direct/, with one folder for each archive
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd instead
# this option should be used for testing only, performance will take a hit
direct_mode = off

Code: [Select]
----------------------------------------------
WM_ACTIVATEAPP

INITIALIZE DD/D3D START

DIRECT DRAW 2

TOTAL 255787008 FREE 248731008

DD MODE: W 720 H 480 P 2880 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 720 H 576 P 2880 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 800 H 600 P 3200 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 960 H 600 P 3840 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1024 H 768 P 4096 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1280 H 720 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1280 H 768 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1280 H 1024 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1360 H 768 P 5440 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1440 H 900 P 5760 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1440 H 1050 P 5760 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 1680 H 1050 P 6720 RGB 1 BPP 32

DD MODE: W 720 H 480 P 1440 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 720 H 576 P 1440 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 800 H 600 P 1600 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 960 H 600 P 1920 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1024 H 768 P 2048 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1280 H 720 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1280 H 768 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1280 H 1024 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1360 H 768 P 2720 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1440 H 900 P 2880 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1440 H 1050 P 2880 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 1680 H 1050 P 3360 RGB 1 BPP 16

DD MODE: W 720 H 480 P 720 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 720 H 576 P 720 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 800 H 600 P 800 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 960 H 600 P 960 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1024 H 768 P 1024 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1280 H 720 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1280 H 768 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1280 H 1024 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1360 H 768 P 1360 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1440 H 900 P 1440 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1440 H 1050 P 1440 RGB 1 BPP 8

DD MODE: W 1680 H 1050 P 1680 RGB 1 BPP 8

Ramp Emulation

Microsoft Direct3D Mono(Ramp) Software Emulation

RGB Emulation

Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation

Direct3D HAL

Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL

NO REQUESTED DISPLAY MODES SUPPORTED

EXCLUSIVE MODE

DD ERROR

ERROR: 80004001 Action not supported. in FILE C:\lib\src\graphics\directx.cpp LINE 1713

« Last Edit: 2009-09-27 21:20:16 by skifreak107 »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
It says the resolution you're trying to run it at is unsupported by your monitor. Change the resolution and it should work.

What's your laptop's monitor size? mine is 15.4 in and i can't get resolutions higher than 1280x800.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-27 22:57:07 by titeguy3 »

skifreak107

• View Profile
It says the resolution you're trying to run it at is unsupported by your monitor. Change the resolution and it should work.

Tried 1680x1050 (my native resolution), 1024x768, 640x480, same issue.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
bizarre... Try running FF7Config via the start menu shortcut and after you close out of it, there should be a prompt to apply a registry key. Click yes.

If the prompt doesn't appear, goto the FF7 folder and double click a file called FF7OpenGL.reg.

Mikkas

Quick question....I noticed that when I receive a limit break I get a slight hang up or lag when selecting the limit icon....any ideas of why this might be happening? This didn't happen when I had most of these mods installed one by one in the past. The only mod I didn't have was the 2d overhaul but i dunno i'm lost.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Quick question....I noticed that when I receive a limit break I get a slight hang up or lag when selecting the limit icon....any ideas of why this might be happening? This didn't happen when I had most of these mods installed one by one in the past. The only mod I didn't have was the 2d overhaul but i dunno i'm lost.

2d overhaul causes this. Its a known tradeoff. Better graphics, some slight slowdowns.

Mikkas

Thanks for the quick reply and yeah, I can live with it for sure  :lol:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Hrm... so I've put some thought into earlier suggestions:
Advent Avatars mod <-- Still looks ridiculously better, and it only shows their faces really
Reunion patch <-- Can you at least show a screenshot comparison?
Scene Redux 1.2 <-- This patch makes almost all enemies morphable into items, It also prevents to steal and win the same item at once a makes the stealing rate more realistic and less frustrating. The Mod also introduces some items that were not carried by any enemy before thus trying to rebalance the underrepresentation and uniformity of the number of stealable items.

And I still think that the Advent Avatars don't fit with the game (the 2D Overhaul will come out with more accurate high res avatars in due time, anyway), and I don't feel like hunting down the reunion patch or screencaps of it, but as for the "scene redux"... Scene.bin is the AI file, and I've already included a remastered scene.bin that doesn't deviate from the original game and makes some obscure items easier to find, but the morphing idea isn't a bad one... I'll see what I can do to incorporate something like this into my AI mod. Look forward to this in the next release.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-28 12:32:54 by titeguy3 »

Dragonshadow

• View Profile
I'm not sure if its possible, but I'd like to make two requests:

1) something to let me normal attack even when I'm limit-broken... Its really frustrating to waste a limit break on a mob with 15 hp left because I have no magic to attack it with >.>
2) party larger than 3 (just for fun)

Oh yea, the bloom thing in the gfx driver makes everything look fugly xD

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
I don't think a party larger than three is possible, but a Limit Break attack might be doable...?

As for the shaders, for smartbloom you have to manually edit the file to specify your resolution, and it looks best (amazingly good!) at native resolution.

Bloom2 is just flashy and ridiculous. I don't use it.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-28 13:03:56 by titeguy3 »

Evan Lee

• "I don't kill I eliminate"
    • View Profile
where can i get smartbloom?

will this patch work in ultima edition? will this run in any laptop?
i use the original 4 discs by the way i'm just curious though

mannyi31

• View Profile
titeguy3

I came up with a crash once I was playing outside of Gongaga Village and fighting a Gagighandi. The crash happens when it uses stone stare and then the game will freeze and error out.

Now I hate when people just reports error without doing some troubleshooting so this is what I manage to do to fix this problem.
Once I opened the APP.log I look at the last entry and I found out that a file was missing (\Final Fantasy VII\textures\Spells\seffect\seffect1_06.png). Basically to work around this problem I just copied seffect1_00.png and renamed the copy to seffect1_06.png. This fixed my issue but I am not sure if this is just me or does it affects everyone else. Also I noticed that seffect1_10.png and seffect1_11.png are missing as well but I am not sure if they are used or not.

By the way good work making all this mods work together.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
I see, that looks like a bug in the 2D Overhaul's files. Not all of them *are* used, so it's difficult to tell which ones are missing and which ones just aren't supposed to be there. Thanks for the info, though, I'll try to pump out a release that fixes this issue right away.

I suspected that there was an error with the seffect files, but I'd never come across it...thanks again!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile

Why would you want it to? The Ultima edition is shit, so even if it does work, you're bound to run into crazy bugs and whatnot.

But it's got Aali's driver, which has never worked with Ultima Shitdition, and never will. So no.

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile

Use this at your own discretion:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1HJAA9HX

Update:

I tried using the smartbloom.post on a resolution of 1024x768 and it speed up the loading of the Avalanche GUI MOD a bit.

By the way I'm using a laptop with an Intel GMA 950...So try it out...
« Last Edit: 2009-09-29 04:05:00 by Harruzame »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Alright guys, v2.3.2 is complete and uploading now, I'll update the main download link once it finishes.

Updates are:
*Solved 2D Overhaul seffect texture glitch
*Modified AI script so that mostly all enemies are morphable into items
*Added some of TheFavs' artwork to pretty up the installer dialogue
*Attempted to solve a minor unpredictable bug in the installer

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
Um..Titeguy....

What is the size of v.2.3.2 now compared to your first installer?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
1.559 GB according to Google Calculator

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
Oh that large?...okay

*walks away*

:?

What? That large!?    :-o