Author Topic: Software patents?  (Read 5269 times)

atzn

• View Profile
Software patents?
« on: 2003-08-27 21:55:42 »
Well I went to Qhimm's main page today and I saw this notice regarding software patents.... does this mean that you (Qhimm) will discontinue support on your programs and will not release them to the public anymore _if_ the parliament votes in favor of software patents?

I was trying to download Jenova today.... well I guess I'll have to use the mirrors then if that's the case.

All these monopolisation stuff is really sickening...

Jedimark

• View Profile
Software patents?
« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-27 22:57:53 »
Oh that sucks...

Nori

• View Profile
Oh No!!!
« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-27 23:47:07 »
I can't agree more =(
But thanks to Qhimm's suggestion: Ficedula's Homepage

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Software patents?
« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-28 02:28:02 »
What is all this about software patents? huh..? Care to clue me in?

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Software patents?
« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-28 02:31:17 »
looks like europe is following the US into the firely hell of patents. sounds kinda like the DMCA for europe.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Software patents?
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-28 13:05:21 »
As someone wise once put it, it's like the DMCA on steroids.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Software patents?
« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-28 15:17:06 »
Software Patents..
to be blunt and to the point, are designed for control, technically speaking from what is patentable software is NOT PATENTABLE. That doesn't mean companies won't want to patent it in order to protect there 'interests'. The unfortunate thing is this primrose path of foolishness will be very apparent when (Idiot Clinton) things become such a huge legal moras of which egg came first (with patents that is always going to be the case).  However, it just appears to be the case of "we must protect our software industry!" mentality.

Patenting software not only is bad in terms of inovation, it also creates a SERIOUS problem of requiring big money to protect your investment and time. That is the whole idea of software patents, to be honest, to wring from the small interests as much of there blood as possible.  Unfortunately carreer politicians cater to who gives them bread, not there responsibilities (it's that way everywhere not just Europe or the US or any particular country).

Always remember evil only wins when good people do nothing, often evil is done in the guise of good.  Remember we have to protect our software industry like every other country! ;)

That was the same crap that got the DMCA passed here.  I believe the only way to correct it is sue the US patent office and the European equivalent for illegal use of power and willful misuse of authority, and willful infringement of authority. Software can be copywrited not patented prior to 1983 that was accepted, then RSA encryption came about and it's been down hill ever since.

Cyb

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Software patents?
« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-28 17:44:03 »
I'm not totally opposed to software patents, I mean, the RSA encryption algorithm is a brilliant piece of software and might qualify for some sort of protection. But I also believe that algorithms are built on math, and software is built on algorithms. Imagine what the world would look like if other ideas were equally patentable, like if Einstein had patended his theory of relativity, demanding license fees from anyone who tried to use it?

Copyright does an excellent job at protecting people's works, and it comes into effect automatically as you write something. But if you have a great idea that could help make life easier for people around the world using computers, and you patent it to prevent them from using it without first paying you, what kind of person does that make you? I mean, sure, if I write some program to compress files and then sell it to people, there's nothing wrong with that. But if someone else then writes a better program and people start buying that instead, who am I to complain about it? If I try to stop people from writing better software without paying me, I'm a greedy, monopolizing bastard. And last time I checked, people don't like greedy, monopolizing bastards. It's a good thing "real world" patents don't work like that, or we'd all still be using the old-style bicycles with huge front wheels (since the original inventor would demand unreasonable license fees from anyone trying to invent another bicycle).

The software community is an interesting thing, it is a market where people must be allowed to make money, but it is more importantly a field of science. RSA is a perfect example of this too. And science, the advancement of knowledge, should not be hindered by prohibiting others to build on your ideas.

TomT64

• View Profile
    • http://www.tomt64.com/
Software patents?
« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-29 08:29:51 »
I could have sworn I had joined this board before... anyway...

I understand the problem, but I don't see why legislation will ever make the patents unlike those of "real world" patents to such a degree that old technology and software can't be built upon.  Am I missing something?  'm seriously curious.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Software patents?
« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-29 13:01:15 »
A crucial difference is that when you write software, you usually use an immense amount of code and implement a large amount of features. And with software patents you can patent even the smallest things, not only snippets of code but also the very objective the code is meant to achieve. So for the small developer, it'll be like trying to build a house when all the nails, cement, roof tiles, "having a chimney" and "having two bathrooms" have already been patented and require rather large license fees to use in your house.

For any developer, this means a huge amount of extra cost involved in researching the number of patents your code infringes, and paying off the license fees for "using XOR to show a cursor" and similar stuff, or even larger expenses when some company suddenly contacts you to sue you for patent infringement, because you accidentally "used colors to underline misspelled words". See my point? The only ones who gain something with software patents are the large companies collecting them, and the lawyers called in to fight the disputes.

Also, both the U.S. and the European patent office has already shown a nasty habit of granting illegal patents, namely for stuff that is already in use. A good example it Microsoft's recent patent for "using CSS to pre-format a document". Copyright is an excellent protection for software, just as for literary works -- patents are unwanted and unneeded.

Imagine trying to write a detective story if you can't use "the butler did it".

atzn

• View Profile
Software patents?
« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-29 13:37:51 »
I understand where Qhimm is coming from... it seriously makes life of small developers much tougher if every small bit of coding were to be patented.. that'd be a real problem.

Well, like Nori told me:
"Welcome to the 21st century."

It's all about money. Greedy b**tards.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Software patents?
« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-29 16:56:07 »
I had no idea this was happening.. I was disconnected for a few days.. The real crappy thing is that there is nothing we can do. I mean that just sucks.. Its HORRIBLE!! Look how many americans avidly protested the war in Iraq.. did it stop .. no. No it didnt.. People that fight this will be the same way.. Everyone is just going to get stepped on.. Petitions do nothing because the general populous is an ignorant one. No one becomes educated when the governments of the world try to pull this crap on us.

Sick fact: The Peons of the world are the majority.. Why are we letting these assholes run our lives? I guess we will just have to see what happens.. I still think it sucks.. and if they did do this can you imagine the boost in the black market software world.. all the cracks.. warez.. craziness I tell you craziness

TomT64

• View Profile
    • http://www.tomt64.com/
Software patents?
« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-30 00:41:16 »
Well this is messed up.  Patents should not be allowed on things like that.  If algorithms can be patented then mathemataticians who come up with stuff can charge money for you to use thier algorithm to, say, write a Calculus program, or even to make a graphing calculator.  Very messed up.

oglsmm

• View Profile
Software patents?
« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-31 19:41:52 »
Well due to  this issue I have mirror all the FF programs I could find quickly on my site at www.mikerosoft.ca.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyones toes as I am hosting them and not linking to them and I have given credit to the authors.

oglsmm

Software patents?
« Reply #14 on: 2003-09-01 22:22:23 »
Quote from: Caddberry
Look how many americans avidly protested the war in Iraq.. did it stop .. no.

Er... to my knowledge, not that many people protested. IIRC, there were only about 3,000 people in my state out of the 5,000,000 that lived here that protested in the months leading up to the war. And we (my state) have somewhat of a reputation for being more anti-war than others. From what I could tell, back then there really wasn't much of an anti-war sentiment anyplace in the USA. It was more like a vocal minority that got drummed up by the press, because it made for entertaining news.