Author Topic: AMD AthlonXP2300 vs P4 3000MHz  (Read 8030 times)

atzn

• View Profile
AMD AthlonXP2300 vs P4 3000MHz
« on: 2002-01-28 20:41:00 »
Anyway, just found an interesting article in Tomshardware....

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020128/octitans-10.html

The XP2300 is an overclocked version of XP2000. The P4 is overclocked from 2200MHz.

Wow. 1.866GHz  vs 3.000GHz! That's more than 1 GHz gap.

P4 uses DDR SDRAM, so as XP2300+.

Shocking results! I was expecting the P4 3000MHz to thrash the hell out of a 1866MHz XP, but heck, the XP managed to cling by despite losing by 1134MHz! Apart from that, XP did beat P4 in some categories!!

I think this is due to the DDR SDRAM. The performance of the P4 did take a real big hit.........
  :-?

And btw does anybody has information about the AMD 'hammer' processor?? Heard that it is using a 800MHz FSB, wonder it is true or not..........

J*** H*******

« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-28 21:23:00 »
Message.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2002-01-28 22:30:00 »
first off: was 2 instances of this thread really nessecary?

second: just cause your processor is fast doesn't mean it's efficient. your memory has to beable to keep up .or the extra power is worthless. it's kinda like running while tied to a tree.
[edited] 275 2002-01-28 23:31

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #3 on: 2002-01-29 03:13:00 »
Hey, I like AMD's proccessors wheather or not Tom's telling the truth . . .

They perform just as good as Intel Proccessors (if not better when it comes to multitasking . . . although Intel owns when it comes to playing/editin Movies and such) and they're cheaper.  (Well, even if not by as much anymore as they used to be: if it wouldn't be for AMD, Intel's CPUs would still be over priced)

AMD sucked back in the day of the K6-2 (man, that was just one bad, bug ridden, easily overheated processor . . .), but the Athlons are just great.  I'll stick with AMD until they or Intel give me reason not to.

BDA7DD

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/bda7dd/
« Reply #4 on: 2002-01-29 10:20:00 »
You people need to learn something... Tom is a stupid corporate whore. He'll say anything that'll make his sponsors happy, even if it's at the expense of those sponsors competitors. He uses his website's popularity and previously good reputation to try and brainwash people like yourselves into believing his insane nonsense.

He's not saying the P4 is a faster processor because of his "test results", or vice versa. He's saying it for his sponsors. They're PAYING HIM to pimp their products. And about those "test results"... I'd be willing to bet my schlong that no tests even occured, and any photos taken from his "tests" are just from when he pulled some spare parts out of a dusty cardboard box, made them look all nice for the camera, snapped some photos, applied the THG watermark to them, and there you have it, photos from the "test lab."

Don't get me wrong, THG used to be a good site... until Dr. Pabst let the money and popularity get to his head too much, that is. Just look at that article he did a while back about the overheating Athlon problem (as well as how Intel's chips didn't have this problem, of course), and how he said he SINGLE HANDEDLY notified AMD about this and SAVED THE COMPANY FROM DESTRUCTION. That's a damn lie, AMD had already known of the problems with the thermal diodes in their latest thunderbirds, and had already issued a recall of the chips before the said article was even posted on THG.

Oh, and did anyone notice that the above mentioned article showed pics of the AMD processors' HSF units being held on by holding clips? What friggin HSF units of those sizes use HOLDING CLIPS? Even if such beasts exist, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to use them seeing as nearly EVERY motherboard has those holes around the processor sockets for fastening the holding brackets which the reliable HSF units use.

Well guys, it seems he's gone pro-AMD for now, but who's to say how long that'll last. I'd bet its probably proportional to whichever chip maker presents him with a better offer when he rolls out another article of pure bullshit.

Last but not least, don't double post. Click the submit button ONCE, and ONLY ONCE. Double clicking leads to lots of problems when doing pretty much anything on the web, especially online shopping, where you run the risk of getting double billed if you double click the submit button.

That is all.
[edited] 269 2002-02-06 06:08

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 2002-01-29 10:29:00 »
Heh...nothing guaranteed to spark off a nice flamewar than a good 'ol processor comparison.

Speaking as someone who's used both AMD and P4 processors (not in my own PC, I'm gathering data to plan my own upgrade ;) )*my* opinion is that the AMD processors are far more efficient on price/performance. I don't care which processor runs the fastest at X Ghz, all *I* care about is which processor runs the fastest for £100 (or whatever...) - and it's the Athlons.

They aren't perfect (the heating problem *is* something to watch out far - although it has to be said how many times has *your* heatsink fallen off?)

(Interesting argument 'bout THG - apparently he's pimping Intel and AMD products...? Hmm...)

J*** H*******

« Reply #6 on: 2002-01-29 17:30:00 »
Message.

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
« Reply #7 on: 2002-01-29 18:11:00 »
I agree with Ficedula all the way, Gigahertz is not the way to benchmark PC's any more. My Systems lecturer says that you can't say that a Palomino is faster than a Pentium Pro because they're different chips, the only way is to measure the MIPS and MFLOPS. Of which, Athlon whip Intel's scrawny butt-hole. Nuff said.
-Dan

J*** H*******

« Reply #8 on: 2002-01-29 18:30:00 »
Message.

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2002-01-29 19:43:00 »
Well personally I don't care whether Tom's hardware is a crappy site or not(like most of you said) If it is crap then.. let it be   :D

I'll have to agree with fice... actually as a matter of fact, I used Intel processors in the past before.... and hey, Pentium II was really great. OK, I was really really looking forward to P4, after reading its spec b4 release and I thought it will really blow AMD off. But.... it disappointed me. Really....

Another thing I agree with fice is price. If the P4 was priced somewhere like AMD's I would've gone for P4 instead. Why? Because of it's new technology supports and all that. But, even though the P4 is fast I must admit, it isn't running at it's full potential.

The reason I bought an AMD System was price/performance ratio.    :D

Now I'm really hoping that Intel do something with their processor.
Slashing price would definitely help, and I think they should stop Tualatin processors,as IMHO, I feel that they are the really crap ones which should be trashed. Celerons should continue on the budget. Why put Tualatin when there is P4?

Just my point. And btw.... Jari, are you a moderator? Can you delete away my first thread?.  :)

PurpleSmurf: There was no intention for double threading.  I did mentioned that I was lagging..... thanks to my stupid SLOW AS HELL internet connection which caused that   :isee:  

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2002-01-29 19:52:00 »

On 2002-01-29 06:20, BDA7DD wrote:
Last but not least, don't double post. Click the submit button ONCE, and ONLY ONCE. Double clicking leads to lots of problems when doing pretty much anything on the web, especially online shopping, where you run the risk of getting double billed if you double click the submit button.

That is all.

:-?  Didn't I mentioned that I lagged.... and I even told the forum moderators to delete my previous one.... and I know the rules of the forums.... I've been accused once for triple posting in a forum(not qhimm's, it's another one) .. it's not my fault... I clicked ONCE.!!! It's my stupid 'net connection. It throws me to I dunno.... 'Page not found' and I re-click the submit then it worked....... I guess I know where my mistake is. I won't repeat such error again. Trust me   :cool:

And fice... heh I wasn't looking forward to start a flamewar. I wanted opinions....thats all... no other intentions   :D

Please don't get me wrong.

J*** H*******

« Reply #11 on: 2002-01-29 20:52:00 »
Message.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 2002-01-29 22:43:00 »
Well, going by the prices I got from my dealer...

Athlon XP 1700+   £118
P4 1600          Â£145

And given that the 1700 *definitely* gives performance better than a P4 1.6 ... BTW, I chose these because the "a bit over £100" is my budget range for a new processor.

Dunno about other places, but that's how it goes here. Sounds like P4's are vastly overpriced here ... not surprising. I checked two different places to make sure, and both came to around that level.

Of course, a P4 should really have RIMM's in it to achieve full performance ... more expense. Bleh. For me at least, Intel just isn't an option at all.

J*** H*******

« Reply #13 on: 2002-01-29 23:24:00 »
Message.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #14 on: 2002-01-30 01:20:00 »
.....The place where I work, just bought a P4 computer. They're still setting it up, so I don't know how well it performs. But considering that the only Athlon in the office is a 1gig and all the others are P3's or P2's, even a few P's (with the lowest being a166 and the fastest P3 being an 866). I guess he's going to say it runs awesome (his last PC was a P3 733 or something). OH well....the way I see it....people with slower computers, make more an hour, thanks to the extra waiting.

Anyway....the computer is a P4 1.8gig, came with a 19" monitor, 256 megs of DDR, XP pro (they reformated...took the 100gig harddrive away., replaced it with a 20gig Ultra 100 supposably a 7200rpm, although I'm not sure if it really is and they installed NT. (For some reason the Admin. can't get Win2000 or XP to plot to our plotters.).....it was ordered with a 40gig Ultra 100 7200rpm harddrive, but came to the office with a 100+gig harddrive, (unknown speed). It also came/ordered with a G2 MX card. It's a complete system...has an optical mouse.....keyboard, Cd-rom, 3 1/4 Floppy.....guess that's about it.

Anyway, the cost was 1,500 dollars from Dell, took about 4 days to deliver. I doubt I could have done much better on the price, if I built it myself. Of course, then again....OEM is OEM.

So...it's
1499.99 for a
P4 1.8
256DDR
Ultra 40 gig 7200rpm
19" Monitor Tititrion (spelling)
XP Pro
56X Cdrom
Floppy
Mouse and keyboard
intergraded sound
from Dell, in Austin.

did I mention that it's black?

[edited] 65 2002-01-30 02:25

Reznor007

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/ninninetynine
« Reply #15 on: 2002-01-30 03:42:00 »
I want to see how the AMD Clawhammer compares to Northwood P4's. With Clawhammer supporting SSE2, it should kill any advantage the P4 gets in some benchmarks.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #16 on: 2002-01-30 05:03:00 »
And so ensues ANOTHER AMD vs Intel debate...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #17 on: 2002-01-31 04:18:00 »
Well Seph, everyone is entitled to an opinion . . . I look at it this way, as long as you're happy with the way your box runs, that's good.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #18 on: 2002-01-31 07:01:00 »

On 2002-01-31 00:18, TiadaghtonDude wrote:
Well Seph, everyone is entitled to an opinion . . . I look at it this way, as long as you're happy with the way your box runs, that's good.

I'm not denying that... I'm just saying "Here we go again..."

But your right. If your box runs and runs well, who cares?

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2002-01-31 20:22:00 »

On 2002-01-29 16:52, Jari Huttunen wrote:

On 2002-01-29 15:43, FFTactic_Boy wrote:
Now I'm really hoping that Intel do something with their processor.
Slashing price would definitely help, and I think they should stop Tualatin processors,as IMHO, I feel that they are the really crap ones which should be trashed. Celerons should continue on the budget. Why put Tualatin when there is P4?

Why not? Tualatin is really great upgrade option for BX-motherboards (Yes, I know that you need an adapter that won't even work with every mb. Still.), or would be if Inhell wouldn't make them so expensive to further the P4 sales. Considering that it's just new version of P3 architecture it's doing really great, sometimes even beating Athlons with bit higher clock speeds (I mean older Athlons, it's not really competitive against XP). Overclocked that is, it's not particularly good buy if you don't want to overclock.

About the price: if you are not willing to overclock; then you are correct. But; P4 1.6 costs 137 dollars, 1.8 187 dollars and with some luck and bit more voltage both can be driven to 2.3-2.7 GHz range (if they are based on the Northwood core), even with air. Athlon XP 1800 costs the same 137 dollars than P4 1.6 and XP 1900 194, which is bit more than the 187 for 1.8 P4. Depending on the overclockability of the P4 you'll get little bit less, just as much, or little bit more performance for the same money. So, the price difference is not that huge, _if_ you overclock. But if you don't... well, Inhell prices the top end P4's really high. Oh, prices are from PriceWatch, if you are wondering.

Just my point. And btw.... Jari, are you a moderator? Can you delete away my first thread?.  :)

You're right in some sense, but don't you think it is funny when they already have Celeron on the budget line? I mean.. well you know   :D

If you're giving me a chance, I'd rather go for a P4 than a P3 Tualatin as P4 is better in performance/pricing IMHO.

Just my view....   :)

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2002-01-31 20:24:00 »
And since this topic is about processors..... can I ask a question:

Do normal home users (not serious gamers) need a 1GHz computer?.....   :wink:

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #21 on: 2002-01-31 23:40:00 »
if your talking about word processing, and minor image editing, not really. A 500mhz machine is MORE than enough to do all that & have a semi-serious gamer in the house.

It's the gamers, the 3D Animators and artists that demand a lot of speed. Programers, and game developers (almost the same thing) are the next highest on that "list".  Much beyond that, I can't think of anyone (who doesn't fit into one of the catagories I've already listed) that would need anything over 1gHz.

But that's just me.

Sephiroth 3D

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]
[edited] 135 2002-02-01 00:40

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #22 on: 2002-02-01 02:10:00 »
Your average home user could get away using a Pentium 166 (I'd overclock that sucker to 233.  Those were good overclocking chips.)

If I weren't so into gaming, I'd probably still be using my 233.

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: 2002-02-02 13:23:00 »

On 2002-01-31 16:24, FFTactic_Boy wrote:
Do normal home users (not serious gamers) need a 1GHz computer?.....   :wink:

No, I guess you're right... as a matter of fact, extremely high-power processors really aren't needed for gamers either, they're mostly reserved for the multimedia designer. These days, the bottleneck of gaming performance is mostly the video card, plus a few other things like your RAM and your motherboard.

For gamers, I suggest a good 64MB AGP4x video card and 256MB+ of DDR SDRAM, and if your mobo can't handle DDR SDRAM or AGP4x, get a new one (which I will be doing soon.) If you've got a 5400RPM hard drive, it would be a good idea to switch over to a 7200RPM one too, but this isn't really that important, so only do this if already you're needing a new HD to begin with.

As for the processor? An AMD T-Bird at 800MHz or higher should do the job just fine for any game on the market. Of course, you'd have to sacrifice your bragging rights which you normally would be entitled to, but for the budget-conscious consumer, it's definitely not a good idea. But hey... if you've got the cash to burn, go for it.