Author Topic: My suggestion to make the site flow better.  (Read 19923 times)

Ryusaizo

• Kyaaa
    • View Profile
Re: My suggestion to make the site flow better.
« Reply #25 on: 2010-07-24 00:41:21 »
On some sites there is a way to stop double posting, but I think that is within a certain timeframe. Also, what have I started O:

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-07-24 01:17:20 »
my only gripe is the way the 2 main forums are setup, game tweaking and programming feedback. I think nearly all problems could be alleviated by creating separate release and work in progress forums. Progamming feedback could become releases, and game tweaking would become the discussion forum that it was before. A WIP forum would provide a place for in development programs to go, thus not taking up space and getting lost in the tons of questions in the game tweaking section.

It makes it really easy to see where you need to post, based on the names of them. Game tweaking and progamming feedback are fairly ambiguious forum names, and its not surprising that people often post in the wrong ones. The other side of the argument is that if you split forums up, it means less posts for both and one area may be suceptible to death by lack of use.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-07-24 01:54:05 »
I like this idea, except qhimm seems to be against changing the forums around.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-07-25 12:57:00 »
And yet, while I was up reading old posts, it seems the great Qhimm came on and made some changes. And they look good too! Kudos.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-07-25 16:21:59 »
So, it looks like the squeaky wheel gets the grease! ;D

I'd have preferred releases and feedback to go in the same thread, but what we have now is certainly an improvement on what we had before!

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-07-25 16:41:21 »
I am so far loving the new forums. :D Love those child boards sl1982 suggested. Maybe a child board for the psx section can be added?

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-07-25 18:05:42 »
But I bet it's only a matter of time before people start criticizing the layout again :P

Being a mod or admin has got to be tough :|

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-07-25 18:22:04 »
But I bet it's only a matter of time before people start criticizing the layout again :P

Any complains will surely be of a lower order of magnitude from the ones that arose from the previous layout, so they wouldn't be at all comparable.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-07-25 18:23:01 »
But I bet it's only a matter of time before people start criticizing the layout again :-P
Quoted for overwhelming truth

Being a mod or admin has got to be tough :|
On the contrary, it has its rewards as long as you don't take it too seriously.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-07-25 18:35:36 »
On the contrary, it has its rewards as long as you don't take it too seriously.

That's good.  I guess having power can't always be pain and torture.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-07-25 18:43:16 »
But I bet it's only a matter of time before people start criticizing the layout again :-P

It's an overwhelming truth in the same way that it's overwhelmingly true to say something like:

"Keeping a dog and keeping a herd of elephants are both commitments. In both cases you need to spend money, and in both cases you need to feed, exercise and house your pets."

That's true, but it's also misleading if one fails to add that the challenges are of completely different orders of magnitude and that keeping a dog is in no way comparable to keeping a herd of elephants.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-07-25 18:51:58 »
Seems qhimm got my message whilst i was sleeping. Well things are a bit different then what i would have done but thats ok.

So the projects forum is for exactly that. Discussion on WIP and ideas for starting new projects will be allowed.
Mods and tools will only be for released stuff. Discussion allowed (maybe, not sure how we should go about this. Maybe feedback is a better forum for it.)
General goes back to what it was before.
Tech support has to do with getting the game running.
Tech related has to do with internals of the game. (Hex edits, opcodes, data structures, etc)
Feedback has to do with problems/suggestions for specific mods (which might be why we shouldnt have discussion in the mods and tools)

Project forums will remain the same as they were, and will be moderated as per the specific moderators discression (Main rules still apply though)

Does anyone have any objections to this?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-07-26 01:26:52 »

It's an overwhelming truth in the same way that it's overwhelmingly true to say something like:

"Keeping a dog and keeping a herd of elephants are both commitments. In both cases you need to spend money, and in both cases you need to feed, exercise and house your pets."

That's true, but it's also misleading if one fails to add that the challenges are of completely different orders of magnitude and that keeping a dog is in no way comparable to keeping a herd of elephants.
Grrrrr I'm angry!  Let's debate and complain and start arguments.   Really?  It's old now.  I'm done.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-07-26 02:53:31 »
So am I. I'm not angry; no, I'm being positive. ;D

I'm saying that the new changes are good and that, even though you can never make everyone happy all of the time, you can certainly make more people happy more of the time. Having a clearer forum structure is going to do that. Sure, it's not perfect, but any problems with the new layout are tiny compared to the problems with the old one.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-07-27 05:59:46 »
Something I think would be a good idea is a Post Limiter. As your post level goes up (newbie --> Cool newbie) you are able to post more times each day, and make more threads. One thing is to completely block the ability to make new threads for Newbies, and can only post a few times a day. No Life status gives unlimited posting.  etc.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-07-27 06:04:53 »
I'm not aware of any post limit.  Would someone like to fill me in on this?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010-07-27 06:05:37 »
It was an idea he came up with.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-07-27 06:09:45 »
Haha, god it's late and I'm drunk.  My bad.   

So... newbies not being able to post is a good idea, but instead of doing that by "rank" ,  having them unable to post for maybe 2 days would be a good idea.  It would give them ample opportunity to familiarize themselves with the forum/rules, and search for any immediate problem they have instead of just throwing a question in game tweaking.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: 2010-07-27 06:22:28 »
But they should be able to PM still. So just in case they might have VITAL information to the success of a mod they can voice it to a creator, who can easily read/delete the message

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010-07-27 12:18:58 »
The only problem I see with this is when people register sometimes they just want to share some things right away but if they aren't able to post their mod will be delayed.