Author Topic: FF7 - Adding Content, Heavy Modding - I'm new to modding, help  (Read 17169 times)

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
Hello, new user Travis here.

I searched, but I found no in-depth guide on how to mod certain things so I am just going to post.

I recently played through Final Fantasy 7 again and I have decided that I want to mod it. I want to do several things because I love the game and I just want to add more in-depth sidequests. Similar to Chrono Trigger's sidequests in the fact that they are optional, but are useful and are very in-depth.

The main reason I want to edit it, is that I can beat Final Fantasy 7 in under 35 hours, just playing it casually. This is without doing the chocobo races or beating the weapons. I could probably do that in under 50 hours.

Either way, I want the game to be a longer experience.

So, I am wanting to know if it is possible to add on areas, sidequests, and a new dungeon or two. What I need to know also, is it possible to import backgrounds? I plan to make it possible to do only after certain things are complete and such as well.

Basically I am wanting to add an in-depth sidequest to revive aeris because with all the rumors... why not do it.

This will involve text editing and so much more. I really hope I can pull this off and if anyone wants to help me get my feet wet and help out even more than that then I am welcoming it. I figured since nothing is released yet and I need to learn a few things first I might as well post in the general forum.

So, anyway this is possible?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Doable?

Yes.

On Playstation?

Mmmmm.... sorta.

Easy?

No, not really.

This sort of radical patch would be best done on the PC version (the PSX edition is a whole can of worms - you have to rebuild the ISO and lookup tables after adding new resources) with Meteor. Everything you've said is quite doable - adding new quests, logic and text would be simple with Meteor; you'd need to add new backgrounds (there are some tutorials here) and resources. Creating new battles and monsters should be feasible with Proud Clod, even if you don't want to write new AI.

You'd also want to change Aeris' limit break of course... which you'd do with my program, Libre!

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
Add sidequests? Ooooh, I don't think anyone's done that yet. We've had people add or modify bosses, but I don't think they've done new sidequests. One of the other people here might be able to help you. One thing they are really looking for is people who can make models. Hey, if you want a better game experience, go to this page http://www.finalfantasy7pc.com/mods/ and download the 1.02 patch which is just a scroll down the page, get the Remix patch, and Aali's custom graphics driver. (Install then in that order) All kinds of fun there.

Oh, and the revive Aeris thing, someone's working on that now.

Finally, before you do any further posting, please take a look at the rules. Just a reminder.  ;D

Thankyee

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Finally, before you do any further posting, please take a look at the rules. Just a reminder.  ;D

That's something you should only say to a newbie who actually breaks them, seeing as reading the rules is something that should go without saying.  Besides, the fact that he searched suggests that he has read the rules already.

You'd also want to change Aeris' limit break of course... which you'd do with my program, Libre!

Why?

@Travis: Hi!

Aeris's revival is already being attempted by ultima espio.  See his thread for more info.

Adding new sidequests, as Bosola said, is doable, but not very.  There are tools for everything you want to edit, but having said that, there'll be a lot to edit.  If you have the willpower, go for it!  And of course, modding is a lot more trouble on the PSX than the PC.

Travis

• View Profile
Not to seem arrogant, but I don't think I broke a single rule and seeing that your name has a "Watched" tag on it, that makes me skeptical seeing as how you can't post without it being seen...

Also, I have the PC version of FF7 sorry lol.

But, although somebody is doing it, I am wanting to make it a long in depth one.

I mean everyone has their own vision right?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forums. I hope you have much success in your attempt at making a quest.

Travis

• View Profile
Welcome to the forums. I hope you have much success in your attempt at making a quest.

Why thank you.

Any tutorials laying around here?

obesebear

• View Profile

Why thank you.

Any tutorials laying around here?
Yep, plenty, if you find one useful feel free to let me know so I can throw it in the FAQ forum.

Travis

• View Profile
Hmm, I wish they already were archived haha.

But, a little work never killed anybody.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I'd love to see some side-quests! ;D

It would take a lot of work, but it would be great to have them. I thoroughly enjoyed the side-quests on Chrono Trigger, and if FF7 had something that was the equivalent, it would take the game even closer to perfection.

This sort of radical patch would be best done on the PC version (the PSX edition is a whole can of worms - you have to rebuild the ISO and lookup tables after adding new resources) with Meteor.

Hmmm, isn't Makou Reactor now capable of doing everything Meteor used to do, but without the bugs? I haven't done much field editing, but Meteor can be a little awkward and it crashes with some scenes. If Makou Reactor has the same functionality, it might be better to use that.

Travis

• View Profile
Okay so what programs would I have to use for the following things...

1. Add places to world and undersea maps (dungeons and areas), this includes adding people to the area
2. Add new backgrounds
3. Add in text/Edit text
4. Edit the game so that the ability to play the sidequest activates after you complete a certain portion of the game.

Izban

• View Profile
most of that would be meteor and makou reactor but as far as i know we dont have the ability to edit walkmeshes yet so until that happens you might try using existing areas for your side quests

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
most of that would be meteor and makou reactor but as far as i know we dont have the ability to edit walkmeshes yet so until that happens you might try using existing areas for your side quests
Is there anyway to get a visual on walk meshes?

Travis

• View Profile
By walk meshes do you mean... like borders of where the model can and can't go.

I can use several existing areas I have in mind, but they need to be "activated" once a certain task is done and I have to create custom backgrounds for them anyway.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
By walk meshes do you mean... like borders of where the model can and can't go.

I can use several existing areas I have in mind, but they need to be "activated" once a certain task is done and I have to create custom backgrounds for them anyway.
Well thats what's being said above. It's the walking path of the models, where they can or cant go, scene change (exits/entrances) etc. that we cannot change at this time. Hence no new areas can be added/activated.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
Okay so what programs would I have to use for the following things...

1. Add places to world and undersea maps (dungeons and areas), this includes adding people to the area
2. Add new backgrounds
3. Add in text/Edit text
4. Edit the game so that the ability to play the sidequest activates after you complete a certain portion of the game.

Those last three things can all be done by editing the flevel.lgp, which is what Meteor and Makou Reactor do.  Search "Meteor" and "Makou Reactor" (separately) in the search box and you should find them easily.

There's also a program called Loveless which can edit existing dialogue.  However, it cannot add or delete dialogue, so it may not be enough for you.  It's very user-friendly, though.

So you don't want to add or edit any enemies for your sidequests?

Also, even though you want to make your own Aeris revival scene, I would still recommend downloading ultima espio's (once he's done with it) because having Aeris in the party will crash certain parts of the game when she's supposed to be dead.  The patch ultima espio is making aims to fix that problem.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Not to seem arrogant, but I don't think I broke a single rule and seeing that your name has a "Watched" tag on it, that makes me skeptical seeing as how you can't post without it being seen...

It was just a warning. We want as few "watched" people as we can get. Even the "watched" people themselves don't want others to join their ranks.

This might end up being harder than you thought. Not only will you have to add all the additional content you want (there are plenty of unused scenes in the scene.bin file so no worries there), but you'll have to find some way of storing quest variables with this new side-quest. I haven't edited the flevel.lgp of my games (I'm focusing on the battle side of everything) so I don't know entirely how it works. It's likely that I'm concerned about nothing and the game is smart enough to handle this on its own.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
It was just a warning. We want as few "watched" people as we can get. Even the "watched" people themselves don't want others to join their ranks.

We seem to be getting a multitude of newbies who become members of the forum exclusively for the purpose of joining the watchlist :P

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
I just like to warn the newbies before they make too many posts. Keep them from getting in trouble. Friendly reminders.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
Telling someone to read the rules often doesn't come across as being too friendly.  Unless it's an admin announcing that there's been a change in them.

Does it tell you to read the rules when you register for an account?

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Telling someone to read the rules often doesn't come across as being too friendly.  Unless it's an admin announcing that there's been a change in them.

Does it tell you to read the rules when you register for an account?
It should. If anything I'd want to find a way to force someone to read the rules.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Psst, Off topic much?  :P

I just wanted to ask, Do you have any storyboard ideas for side-quests yet?

I've written a lot of short-stories and what-not so I'd love to help out in the story-boarding or dialogue department

PM me or respond here  ;D

Travis

• View Profile
@ Seer
So I basically will have to learn these from trial and error or is there a solid way?

@ Shankifer
I would love help. I don't have it storyboarded or completely together, but I have the areas and fights all thought out. If you can help me with modding that would be GREAT!

Also, with summer coming to a close ($%#&!!!!!) this may come much slower than everything else.

Especially since I am an animator as well and have been employed to help a friend with a chrono trigger project.

Edit to avoid double post: I also have windows vista... I can see this posing several problems because of how hard it was to run FF7 just to play it on my PC until those "new" patches came out. So for modding purposes is it okay to use Vista?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-22 16:54:54 by Travis »

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
@ Seer
So I basically will have to learn these from trial and error or is there a solid way?

I can't tell exactly what you're referring to.  I doubt it's the forum rules, but just in case, they're stickied in every board.

But I'm guessing you're talking about editing stuff.  Editing the flevel is not my area of expertise - I can't really help you a whole lot, but there are others who can.

If you wanted to add and/or edit enemies, that's something else.  The tools for actually making and editing the enemies are called "Hojo" and "Proud Clod" - between those two, you can do nearly anything to the scene.bin where all of the enemy data is kept.  However, the data determining where and when you encounter enemies in game is stored in the flevel, so if you added any new enemies to the game, you'd have to tweak the flevel a bit in order to encounter them.

Also, note that every time you change something in the scene.bin, you must update the kernel.bin - this can be done using Hojo.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Also, note that every time you change something in the scene.bin, you must update the kernel.bin - this can be done using Hojo.

...And Proud Clod.