Author Topic: FF7 - Adding Content, Heavy Modding - I'm new to modding, help  (Read 17170 times)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
I would've known that if I had the opportunity to check ;D I'm on vacation right now (with my laptop), so I don't have my FF7 stuff handy.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
My suggestion is to first do some research on things you need. This is definitely going to take more than one person.

After you've done research, might want to look into making a Project forum thing lol, like you see Team Avalanche and FF7 Voice, Idk what is involved in getting that so ask a moderator =P

After you do that You should compile a list of things needed that you need the most help on (and think  it isn't toooooo much work slave away over a keyboard and mouse) ((Im deff up for helping with storyboards though ^.^ writing is my passion haha)) so that people can sign up and help with.

I know there is a lot of talent on this site, and since TA is only doing a graphical overhaul (we shouldn't need much for modeling and texturing unless you want to add a lot of NPCs or something.

All in all this sounds like a really difficult task, but hey, it would be a hell of an achievement to complete. I'm in for what it's worth lol, I'm willing to dabble in some unknown elements to see what can be done.

To motivation! *raises glass*

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
Creating an individual project forum is for the mega-huge projects in which epic loads of forum members are involved.  This can only be done by mods and admins.  This hasn't nearly hit that level of status yet, so if this turns into a "Work In Progress" thing (when modding is underway and a release of it is impending), then a thread should be made about it in Game Tweaking.  Not yet, though.  First, ascertain exactly what cutscenes you are going to implement into the game, as well as where and when they can be accessed.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
Oh yes, it is becoming clearer to me that I need to dive into this and see what needs to be done on my own first, so I can organize.

Are there "safe" downloads of Makou and Proud Clod on this site? Or will I have to google it?

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
You should never have to google anything that you want to download.  The search box at the top should be sufficient.

I'm feeling humble today, so I'll post links to the threads were you can download them.  Back in a few.

===EDIT!===

Makou Reactor

Proud Clod

Hojo
« Last Edit: 2010-07-23 18:10:09 by The Seer of Shadows »

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
@ Seer

I was only mentioning Project forum because of the amount of work this sounds like it is going to take lol.

Especially if it goes down the path of making new scenes and NPCs and other things thatwould end up beingvery large and time consuming. Of course game tweaking forum is the place to start though, kind of slipped my mind up there... sorry  :-X
And thanks for calling that one lol  :P

@Travis

When have a basic outline of what you want to do, send me a notepad or something so i can see what's in store.
Thanks   :-D

Travis

• View Profile
You should never have to google anything that you want to download.  The search box at the top should be sufficient.

I'm feeling humble today, so I'll post links to the threads were you can download them.  Back in a few.

===EDIT!===

Makou Reactor

Proud Clod

Hojo

Seer you are a wiz.

I just installed the max install of FF7 and I used to be able to find all of the kernel and char.lgp files and such, now i can't find them whatsoever... wtf!!!

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile

===EDIT!===

Makou Reactor

Proud Clod

Hojo

Seer you are a wiz.

I just installed the max install of FF7 and I used to be able to find all of the kernel and char.lgp files and such, now i can't find them whatsoever... wtf!!!
Reinstall is the way to solve it. :)

Travis

• View Profile
suprisingly enough I had uninstalled it before you even said anything... I KNEW YOU WOULD SAY IT!!! OOOOOOOOOO

Ehem... anyway, thanks for the tip, hopefully it works.

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
I'm actually very interested in what kind of side quests you're going to be implementing.  Having only the weapons, races/minigames/battle square, and chocobo's traveling system as a sidequest kinda did bum me out as well.  Will they be as in-depth as the 2 optional character sidequests? Shed some light to a possible revolution in the game, man!

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Sidequest to pawn noobs from this forum in the battlesquare OOOHHH!  :P

Travis

• View Profile
I'm actually very interested in what kind of side quests you're going to be implementing.  Having only the weapons, races/minigames/battle square, and chocobo's traveling system as a sidequest kinda did bum me out as well.  Will they be as in-depth as the 2 optional character sidequests? Shed some light to a possible revolution in the game, man!

Oh it will be an in-depth sidequest... I am not going to let on to anything I found to be farfetched, although I am thinking over adding a few revelations from Crisis Core maybe.

By farfetched I mean DeepGround... How did they get ahold of all that military equipment while trapped under the city? Seriously?

I also am thinking about adding maybe a Red XIII sidequest. It's sad how little is done with him in the movie, DoC, and the others. Cait Sith has seen more face time than him.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I am thinking over adding a few revelations from Crisis Core maybe.

Maybe you could make some of the missions from CC into side-quests; maybe some kind of flashback

I also am thinking about adding maybe a Red XIII sidequest. It's sad how little is done with him in the movie, DoC, and the others. Cait Sith has seen more face time than him.

As a Red XIII fan, I'd like to see that.

Travis

• View Profile
It's all speculation right now.

I am wondering if I can possibly make this work right along things such as the hardcore mod or others.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
That should be easy enough.  You'll just have to make a patch that's compatible with it.  It might be a bit of a pain, though, if you have to make several patches that are all compatible with different things...

Travis

• View Profile
Ya, I do know I want it compatible with the graphics patches and hardcore mod. If I can't then I don't care either way.

I do need to know why the hardcore mod is deciding to hate my scene.bin file.

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
A note to the kind of quest, Red XIII would be a great storyline to do... and (prepare for character bias coming up...) throwing some Vincent in wouldn't hurt too much... Since they both have to do with Hojo from their back-stories. They also both have a quiet and reserved part of the group.

I'll probably shoot myself in the foot for this one, but if we're talking about characters that don't get much coverage, Yuffie would probably bean interesting plot for a side-quest, seeing as she's a thief, and almost any story can fit into thievery  :P She also has a very undeveloped backstory in FF7

Just some ideas.

As for making things compatible, it would probably be accomplished a lot easier by first developing a stand-alone mod, and then maybe asking the creators of the other mods if they know a way or not. That way you have a base mod that can be backed up and then altered. Unless you plan on incorperating other mods with it, which you would have to ask permission first :]

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I'll probably shoot myself in the foot for this one, but if we're talking about characters that don't get much coverage, Yuffie would probably bean interesting plot for a side-quest, seeing as she's a thief, and almost any story can fit into thievery  :P She also has a very undeveloped backstory in FF7

Hey, she has side quests! Two of them, actually ;D (although one is somewhat mandatory if you ever go to Wutai)

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook

Hey, she has side quests! Two of them, actually ;D (although one is somewhat mandatory if you ever go to Wutai)

I rebuke that last statement then, no Yuffie! :P

She is just way too happy. She fits in well, but sometimes... way too happy.

[Off topic]
She fit well in the game, but in the movie she was just too over-happified, while everyone else was ready to give up and jump off a cliff or blow up the world. She always remains 100% happy. Idk why it annoys me... it just does  ;D
[/Off topic]

Travis

• View Profile
Yuffie got tons of face time in DoC and she had a great line in the movie "Sexist... SEXIST!!!". Her argument with Cid will live on in my heart because that is a classic FF7 moment. Also, I don't see her as over-happified in the movie. I see her as the immature 18 year old that she is. Every character fits well into the movie except for Red XIII because he gets no time to shine.

Vincent had his own game and the significance of his chaos limit was blown out of proportion. There will be no vincent sidequest.

If I was to do a Yuffie sidequest it would involve her stealing everyone's materia again like Godo and her alluded to doing at the end of the Pagoda sidequest.

If I was to do a Vincent sidequest, it would involve actually working to get Chaos and the Death Penalty in the Waterfall Cave.

For the moment, I need to focus on the Aeris Revival sidequest.

Also, quick question.... is it possible to add patches to the game and load a save file up that I previously made because i am doing a playthrough and that patch work right along with it?

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
All save files do is record your progress through the game, not any of the game data itself.  It is perfectly fine to modify the game and then continue from a save file you made ages ago.

Travis

• View Profile
Ok, that's good.