Author Topic: FF7's Blade Beam - magical/physical attack attributes confusion  (Read 3137 times)

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
When doing some research on Limit Breaks in FF7, I came across the probably most mysterious attack in the entire game, namely Blade Beam.

According to Libre and WallMarket, both of Blade Beam's attack parts, as it consists of two seperate attacks as Finishing Touch and Satan Slam, are physical. However, this only holds true as long as at least two ennemies are present and in the same row at the moment Blade Beam is employed by Cloud for, in case only one enemy can be targeted by the entirety of Blade Beam's attack, something strange happens.

Firstly, Blade Beam will consist only of its first attack part, whereas the secondary subsequent diffusing beams will obviously be left out, and secondly, that first attack will even look slightly different. The peculiarity of Blade Beam being used completely excluisvely on a single becomes manifest in this: While it is still inflicting physical damage, since a magically immune enemy will still sustain damage, it is simultaneously triggering that enemy's magical(!) counter, which I cannot understand why this occurs, seeing that neither WallMarket nor Libre indicate that any part of Blade Beam could be a magical attack. As far as I know, not only is there no other attack that does physical damage and triggers magical counters as well but it is also impossible to copy that property of Blade Beam.

Because of this elusive attribute, it seems to me Blade Beam is hardcoded in any way. In case anyone happened to know more about why Blade Beam behaves so strangely, I would like to know.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-11 17:08:35 by NxK »