Author Topic: FF8 mods for psx?  (Read 17706 times)

endlessdamage

• View Profile
FF8 mods for psx?
« on: 2011-01-16 08:14:19 »
Is there anyway to apply any of the mods posted here to my psx version of the game? I will admit that i have run many 'backups' on my ps2 of psc games, but I own about 7 legit copies of FF8. Only because one disc will go missing, or one will get too scratched, and buying a new copy includes all 4 discs, so i have multiple versions of each disc, different amounts of each. BUT. if there is anyway to make a backup of one of, or all of these discs, and create basically my own disc of FF8, the original but with mods, to RUN in the psx it would be great to know how. It is Saturday night, and I am well passed buzzed so I apologize if this doesnt make sense, I will clarify anything that needs clarification in the morning. But bottom line is, I want to add some of the mods available to me here, to my psx version as well as my PC version.

EDIT: finished incomplete sentence.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 mods for psx?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-27 16:30:05 »
Some mods for FF8 that exist for the PC version can be adapted. Though mods are difficult to find... I can help ya :)

P.S.: It isn't necro, but 10-days later. roflmao

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-30 03:10:19 »
If you could help me out, that would be great =] I would appreciate it very much. Though instead of you doing a bunch of research to find them all, Ill tell you what im looking for so you look no farther than needed, or you could just point me in the correct direction.

First, I definitely want something that will allow me to edit the pictures of the characters and GFs you see in the menu and save screen.

Next, Anything that would help out the look of the game, really, ANYTHING that would enhance the visuals.

If possible, but this one i dont care about too much, breaking the limit on HP, not damage though, I wanna keep some challenge still.

I would love love love to edit the enemies and make them stronger, and make me level up slower (actually dont think ive seen anything around here that changes the amount of EXP you get, just throwin it out there though)

Anndd... hmm. I do believe thats all i can think of a this moment. Thank you though

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-30 11:33:40 »
If you could help me out, that would be great =] I would appreciate it very much. Though instead of you doing a bunch of research to find them all, Ill tell you what im looking for so you look no farther than needed, or you could just point me in the correct direction.

I'll do my best :)

First, I definitely want something that will allow me to edit the pictures of the characters and GFs you see in the menu and save screen.

Not easy in the PSX version, but doable. I am not a master with these file, but I will extract all of the files and see if it is possible...

=> Damn... In my PAL FR ISO I have, there is only three files. An image file, the exe and a data-storing file.

==> I believe that these files are stored in the FF8.EXE but not sure. I have all the files of FF8 PC so I'm gonna see...

Next, Anything that would help out the look of the game, really, ANYTHING that would enhance the visuals.

By the PC version, the config allow you to use enhance the graphics and some things. By the PSX version, this isn't possible (as far as I know).

If possible, but this one i dont care about too much, breaking the limit on HP, not damage though, I wanna keep some challenge still.

There was a discussion on this here. This is possible in PC version but still beta. There is bugs and cannot be applied in the PSX version. Sorry  :'(

I would love love love to edit the enemies and make them stronger, and make me level up slower (actually dont think ive seen anything around here that changes the amount of EXP you get, just throwin it out there though)

Ifrit by gjoerulv allows you to edit ennemies stats and other things. On PC version, very easy. I don't know how to do this in the PSX version. If someone could provide me a decompiler for .IMG files, I could help you, I believe.

Anndd... hmm. I do believe thats all i can think of a this moment. Thank you though

This is a real pleasure for me :D

random_npc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-30 12:04:28 »
Colly is the one to ask. Search his old posts, then send him a message if you need...

Wrong, you can edit how much EXP you get with Gjoerulv's Ifrit program.
You'll need this post for extracting battle files from your PSX game : http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11015.msg153735#msg153735

« Last Edit: 2011-01-30 12:06:22 by random_npc »

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-30 21:27:30 »
Instead of taking up a buttload of space and quoting everything, I will just say you guys are helping alot more than I had imagined, I honestly came into this thinking I couldnt mod the PSX version, so I am very happy and appreciate all the help I get. The link to help with the enemies, very much perfection there. Loving it

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-01 05:52:00 »
Sounds like fun. I started a game of VIII a week or so ago and was messing around with some codes, but some mods would be nice.  Even a enemy stats mod would help the game so much, if you dont handicap yourself then the random battles are a bad joke.  But then you can't utilize all the games features which sucks.  I mean...2 funguars and a geezard? they could be level 100 when your level 5 and pose little threat
« Last Edit: 2011-02-02 20:42:35 by xLostWingx »

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-01 09:33:11 »
I prepared Battle Hardcore Patch for PSX version, but only for PAL English, SLES-02080 (because I don't have any other versions). More info here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11026.0

It's VERY VERY easy, if you know how to edit TIM files. :D You should extract (just copying) .IMG file from CD image and scan it by TIMViewer. You will find menu graphics near 200th TIM file on the list.
I didn't do it, because I like original pictures. :P

Visual enhancing is possible on ePSXe emulator ;)

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-05 01:56:29 »

It's VERY VERY easy, if you know how to edit TIM files. :D You should extract (just copying) .IMG file from CD image and scan it by TIMViewer. You will find menu graphics near 200th TIM file on the list.
I didn't do it, because I like original pictures. :P

Visual enhancing is possible on ePSXe emulator ;)

Duh, major brainfart, that one I actually knew. Also sorry about the slow response. School these past 2 weeks have been hell on the old thinker. Damn physics gets me everytime.

Also, checking on that Battle Hardcore patch now, I believe I have a couple PAL versions of the game laying around. Will definitely be trying it out in a little bit before the whole 'friday night' thing starts to catch up to me.

Thanks to all =]

Quick update: I successfully implemented the hardcore mod, thanks to Colly, and also changed the pictures of GFs and the Characters. Now, I am not sure what I did wrong, and this is no big deal as I am used to it from the PC version, but the battle swirl no longer works, the screen just gets darker, then I go into battle. As I asaid this is no big deal as i got used to it from the PC version, I am just not sure what I could have done that could cause this? Really I am just concerned that nothing else has happened.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-05 21:51:41 by endlessdamage »

supergogeta nivel5

« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-11 12:20:55 »
Hello, I'm spanish people and my english isn't very good. I'm sorry if there is some problems with the comunication.

I tried to extract the battle files in the .img file of FFVIII( PSX PAL version SLES_020.84 ) but I couldn't get it.
My purpose is edit the files with Ifrit. Please, if anyone knows how extract the files could help me?

Thanks.