Author Topic: Nvidia has done it again...  (Read 14382 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Nvidia has done it again...
« on: 2001-06-09 10:50:00 »
Read this article (all pages in it)
 http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/0106041/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/0106041/index.html
Damn.
If Nvidia goes around designing chipsets like that, pretty soon they'll be making Nvidia M/B's with Nvidia Ram etc etc. You get the idea

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-06-09 11:13:00 »
But the technology sure look good, especially the sound. I hear it done AC-3 on hardware, don't know if it's true or not. Also AGP 6x for the intergrated graphic ( yes you read it right, 6x ). The slot is still 4x though.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2001-06-09 17:55:00 »
Well they are taking over the world just like Vince McMahon. Damn looks like they will fight it out then.

Looks neat!

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-06-10 00:13:00 »
aaargh
u guys are slow
nvidia are making shipsets, and its been planned for agessssss !!!
it was codenamed nVidia Crush chipsets
it uses licensed AMD HyperTransport BUS technology, to give incredible speeds between components on the motherboard.

intial tests are promising but this chipset will only feature an AMD CPU boards.

intial features include:
integrated Geforce2MX GPU sharing system ram (REMEMBER SYSTEM RAM IS SLOWER THAN GRAPHICS RAM FOR GRAPHICS WORK),
integrated AC 3 sound chip.
integrated DDR ram controller,
and other stuff.

these chips will feature on a few boards at first due to its high cost, - $50 per chipset (dunno what currency  :P)
but expect to see it on micro ATX form factor boards as this looks tempting for low end solutions.

and all this was off the top of my head  :)
its been in developement since the announcement of integrated SPU GPU for the Xbox from nvidia.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-06-10 00:25:00 »
ok i checked out the site above and heres a full detailed spec check from toms'
---------------------------

NORTH BRIDGE CHIP

Memory latency is reduced due to the crossbar configuration of the two separate 64-bit wide memory controllers as well as due to the integrated DASP (Dynamic Adaptive Speculative Pre-Processor), which is something like a intelligent small third-level cache for the processor.

The integrated GeForce2MX-like graphics controller is internally connected to the chipset core with a path that has a bandwidth of 1.5 GB/s, equal to 6xAGP.
External graphics cards can take advantage of 4xAGP.

The connection to the south bridge is realized with AMD's HyperTransport interface, which offers a much higher bandwidth than the traditionally used PCI bus as well as the lately used 'hub architecture' (Intel) or 'V-Link' (VIA).

SOUTH BRIDGE CHIP

Dual ATA100 IDE controller

NVIDIA APU (Audio Processing Unit) sound device with a huge feature set, including Dolby Digital encoding for AC3-output.

Full networking feature set, including FastEthernet 100/10 Mbit, HomePNA 2.0 (home phone line networking) and SoftModem

Six concurrent USB-ports with 2 USB-hubs

SteamThru, allowing high bandwidth and guaranteed real time memory access of all devices connected to the MCP, as typically required by video or audio broadcasting from disk, CD, DVD, LAN, WAN, IEEE1394 or when burning a CDROM.

-----------------------
THE SPU COMPONENT

Hardware DirectX8 audio processor (the first of its kind)
Up to 256 different stereo voices, of which 192 are 2D-voices and 64 are 3D-voices
Dolby Digital 5.1 Encoder
DSL2-acceleration (Downloadable Sample Version 2)
32 bin mixer, with 8 voice volumes mixed to each bin (to get to 256)
-------------------------

=======================
there u go in a nutshell costs alot though
---------------
edit
damn the pic didnt work  :P

[This message has been edited by The Skillster (edited June 09, 2001).]

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-06-10 03:03:00 »
Hmm. I might get one of them.
Good sound chip. Add a nice Processor,my GeForce 2 Pro and some DDR ram and it should work well. Hmm. Maybe.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-06-10 12:44:00 »
the problem with this style of chip sir canealot is that its aimed at lo end MBs
so if u get one chances are:
it has no AGP slot (50%chance)
it has 1-3 PCI slots (80%)
its micro ATX format (90%)
theres 2/3 ddr slots only if there aint any sdram (80%)
and im against built in components anyway it reduces the machines life due to the fact it becomes a bitch to upgrade, and u cant sell the sound card u upgraded cos its built in! if u know wot i mean.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2001-06-10 13:31:00 »

it has no AGP slot (50%chance)

Anandtech article say it will have AGP port just like i815.

it has 1-3 PCI slots (80%)

Asus board is Standard ATX, so 5 or 6 PCI is posiible.

its micro ATX format (90%)

Read above.

theres 2/3 ddr slots only if there aint any sdram (80%)

I think it's only DDR solution.

and im against built in components anyway it reduces the machines life due to the fact it becomes a bitch to upgrade, and u cant sell the sound card u upgraded cos its built in! if u know wot i mean.

The built-in soundcard look much better than Soundblaster Live or any other soundcard, at least on paper. The best features is to be hardware AC-3, so maybe PS2/X-Box true sound emulation is psoiible after all.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 2001-06-10 16:58:00 »
Looks great, but the cost is *not* gonna be nice. I mean, if I was upgrading my motherboard, I don't want to have to pay for an integrated GF2MX and super sound card, I'd like to reuse my existing ones. I don't have a choice with that chipset. It's not so bad if the integrated video/sound is crap, then it hasn't really raised the price of the board, but something as good as that? Not so good for upgraders.

« Reply #9 on: 2001-06-12 07:03:00 »
Yes, but for first timers and completely new systems, it looks like a steal. As long as the sound is as good as it's supposed to be, people won't have to worry about plunking down $90+ (US) for a decent sound card. I think it'll be interesting to see if and how AMD will take advantage of this. My personal bet is that they'll somehow try to incorporate it into their upcoming next generation products.

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited June 12, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-06-12 16:07:00 »
Oh yeah, you're right on that. I can see prebuilt computers using it a lot. Of course, it does have its problems ... what if your kickass inbuilt video card breaks? Send the whole M/B off to be fixed? At least with a separate card you *might* have an old spare video card you could use in the mean time (I certainly do).

Generally it is a nice system; I'm just not fond of all-in-one systems for the reasons I've given.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2001-06-14 06:10:00 »
If the built-in video card breaks down, then just plug-in another new GeForce3 and disable the on-board VGA - just like i815. So are with the built-in soundcard.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-06-14 11:56:00 »
no listen up
what i meant is that
this chipset is AIMED for low end systems market / first time buyers / OEMs
there for the mainboard manufacturers will maybe choose not to include certain features to reduce the cost of the board (after all the chipset is a bit dear considering the alternatives) u get me?
plus soundblaster live will be superseeded by a new card soon (SB audugy i think) so it might not b worth it for exisitng owners.
the percentage i was quoting is for overall mainboard manufacterers (not including big names like abit and asus)

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-06-14 17:27:00 »
If something breaks then buy a new one? I don't think so! If it was under warranty I'd damn well get it replaced. The point I was making was, if it *was* under warranty, you'd end up sending off your whole computer (the motherboard, anyway) in order to get it replaced.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-06-14 22:12:00 »
And actually I don't see anything wrong with it, unless of course if the seller don't honour your warranty. And the Anandtech have indicated that the chipset is aimed to high-end market, unlike others intergrated solutions. Actually I'm hoping that nVidia will make a new soundcard based from their South-bridge chipset. For sure it will kick ass!

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: 2001-06-15 03:29:00 »
Well, you see, SBLive! has ALREADY been surpassed, and alot of people haven't heard of it or dismiss it as some kinda damn budget card. The Philips Acoustic Edge is THE best card on the market now. Go buy one.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-06-15 19:04:00 »
Chibimaruko: That's not a problem? It would be for me! If my sound card broke, I'd rather not have to send off the whole PC in order to get it replaced!

yes, if they made separate expansion cards with all these chipsets then that *would* be good. And if they produced a version of this kickass motherboard without the integrated sound/graphics/everything. The chipsets sound great, I'd just rather there was a non-integrated option as well. Hopefully there will be.

J*** H*******

« Reply #17 on: 2001-06-15 19:54:00 »
Message.

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: 2001-06-15 20:37:00 »
It supports DLS soundfonts, as well as the whole Yamaha thingy.
Trust me, once you plug that thing in your computer and play with it enough, you will never hear music/sound/MIDI the same way again.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2001-06-15 21:26:00 »
Yes, but ... 5.9MB?? Hello? Since when has that been enough?

I guess you could run FF8 in that. Though it wouldn't be able to hold the whole soundfont at once. But we all know how good the basic FF8 soundset is.

It looks great for people who just want multi speaker setups for games and MP3's. Unless it can cope with gigantic soundfonts it just isn't going to cut it for midi though.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2001-06-15 21:33:00 »
DLS is not sound fonts. Maybe DLS2 is, but not exactly. The only cards that support *.sf2 files is Live! and any Vortex2 card ( only can load soundfonts with no reference samples ). Futhermore, AE soundcard isn't as good as GTXP, which rocks.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2001-06-15 21:51:00 »
Yes, I know soundfonts and DLS's are different, but only just. I suppose I should have said "soundset" or "soundbank" or "synthbank" to make it clear ... but nevertheless, there isn't much between an SF2 and a DLS. You can even convert between the two formats, for a start.

J*** H*******

« Reply #22 on: 2001-06-16 00:12:00 »
Message.

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: 2001-06-16 05:35:00 »
Well, gee. I guess having sf2's spoils you guys a bit much.
I've managed to use DLS sets straight outta the WAVE-out on my crappy little built-in VIA card!
Sheesh...here's the review.
Totally flipped the guys opinion.
 http://gamersdepot.com/hardware/sound_cards/philips/acoustic_edge/001.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://gamersdepot.com/hardware/sound_cards/philips/acoustic_edge/001.htm

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2001-06-16 05:47:00 »
Yes ... and? We weren't debating that it had DLS support, just that the all the specs say about its memory size is about 6MB.

Tech specs for the card say under music synthesis:

"96 channel hardware CD quality (16 bit, 44.1khz) wavetable synthesizer with 5.9MB sample set."

That is, to put it bluntly, crap. DLS support is nice, good. But if it can't use system RAM (or comes with less than 32MB of its own) then the midi synthesis isn't great, regardless of which format (DLS, SF2, ECW) it's taking its sound samples in.

My *normal* GM synth set is 28MB, and I have a 58MB one for high quality synth. If the card can't use samples that big it ain't going to have as good music synthesis.