Author Topic: Musical Artists  (Read 5222 times)

Kendrilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/thenexusforce
Musical Artists
« on: 2003-08-21 00:15:37 »
It has come to my attention that there are two very good Musical Composers who make video game music and I have seen no topics on them.  These composers being: Yasunori Mitsuda (Creator of the Music for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross) and Nobuo Uematsu (Creator of the Music in Final Fantasy).

I'd like this discussion to be essentially whom you favor and why.  Maybe your favorite song from each if you want.

Personally I like Yasunori better.  The reason behind this is Yasunori's music has alot more strings and woodwinds.  The Chrono music sounds more like regular music rather than video game music.

Kendrilian :wicked:

eerrrr

• View Profile
Musical Artists
« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-21 11:18:25 »
I think Nobuo Uematsu's quality of work has degraded. There were only a few songs from FFX that I thought were particularly good compared to the older FFs, and a lot of them were done by the other composers.

At the moment, my favourite composer is Yoko Kanno. I've heard her music from Cowboy Bebop, GitS: SAC, and some other stuff, and she's amazing. What's great about her is that not only is she a great composer, she's capable of writing great music in any genre, AFAIK.  I've heard her techno, jazz, pop, orchestral, the rest, and I've loved it all.

This may be a little off topic, but has anyone listened to much Bjork? I've always thought she was just some wierdo, but I recently listened to some of her stuff and she's amazing! I suggest you listen to Joga, Isobel, and Hunter.

Shoot, I went a bit off topic there. This isn't exactly about video game music, more anime. Oh well, if it carries on like this I suggest it be moved to the Completely Unrelated forum. :roll:

Mofokubik

• View Profile
Musical Artists
« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-21 21:24:41 »
I definitely like Chrono Trigger/Cross music alot better than Final Fantasy's music. Did Yasunori Mitsuda compose for any games other than Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers? (that is if he even did anything for RD)

I like the music on cowboy bebop....that is if your talking about the seatbelts.

Nori

• View Profile
Wooo Ooo 454
« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-21 21:47:17 »
Quote from: eerrrr
Shoot, I went a bit off topic there. This isn't exactly about video game music, more anime. Oh well, if it carries on like this I suggest it be moved to the Completely Unrelated forum.
^__^
Mitsuda Yasunori is better!
Uematsu Nobou..., same themes over & over (how boring is that!?)

Kanno Yoko - Macross Plus (1994)...
Bjork - She can act (not too bad) & sing (her music videos are interesting!)

Kendrilian

• View Profile
Musical Artists
« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-22 00:30:57 »
Heh, I haven't heard any Coyboy Beebob music.  Is it worth downloading? On a 26.4k modem?

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Musical Artists
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-22 11:32:35 »
If you like Bjork you could like her movie Dancer in the dark, i heard its good. But its a sad movie so watch out !

eerrrr

• View Profile
Musical Artists
« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-22 14:36:45 »
Wow, I didn't know she made a movie. I'd downloaded the song Dancer in the Dark, but I didn't know it was a film too.

Kendrilian: Yes, the music's worth it! I suggest you download The Real Folk Blues, Rush, and.... whatever the most popuar files are.
If you meant downloading actual episodes, then I guess it's still worth it. Although, *ahem*, I do not condone such activities. :erm:

Nori

• View Profile
2000 Oscar Show (Hint: Bjork) 455
« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-22 18:39:51 »
Quote from: mirex
If you like Bjork you could like her movie Dancer in the dark, i heard its good. But its a sad movie so watch out!
I didn't like it..., but her performance was outstanding!

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Nobuo Uematsu all the way!
« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-23 09:18:46 »
Hi!

I think Nobuo Uematsu is the best music composer in the world. He's all I listen to! You just have to hear a few pieces like 'Suteki Da Ne', 'Liberi Fatali' and 'Dark Messenger' to feel what an impact Nobuo has on you! I haven't heard of the other artist before! I love Uematsu, and he is the best!  :D

xeriouxi.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Musical Artists
« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-23 11:16:25 »
Hey, what about Akira Yamaoka, the composer of the Silent Hill music?

- Alhexx

Rubicant_II

Musical Artists
« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-23 14:45:29 »
I'd have to say I like Yasunori Mitsuda just a little better. His music seems to fit the atmosphere more often than Nobuo's music does. Although Nobuo has cranked out some really good ones, I think that Mitsuda has some more memorable tunes that make me think of other times in my life where that music could have fit in. Kendrilian is right; Mitsuda's music definately has more guitar and woodwinds. It sounds like....well...real music that is playing with a purpose.

Favorite by Mitsuda: Chrono Cross - Another Guldove
Favorite by Nobuo:   Final Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad (the whole thing)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Musical Artists
« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-23 17:18:47 »
Quote from: Rubicant_II

Favorite by Nobuo:   Final Fantasy VI - Dancing Mad (the whole thing)

I just love Dancing Mad... I trust you've heard the THE BLACK MAGES version?

Rubicant_II

Musical Artists
« Reply #12 on: 2003-09-24 03:28:21 »
Nope, can't say that I've heard about the black mages version...what's it all about?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Musical Artists
« Reply #13 on: 2003-09-24 09:14:42 »
The Black Mages is an "orchestrated" album, with a pick of Final Fantasy battle music remixed into more metal-ish versions. Definitely worth listening to, some of the songs do surpass their originals IMO.

Kendrilian

• View Profile
Musical Artists
« Reply #14 on: 2003-09-26 01:36:08 »
Herm...  Must get me thinks.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Musical Artists
« Reply #15 on: 2003-09-26 04:18:38 »
Quote from: Qhimm
The Black Mages is an "orchestrated" album, with a pick of Final Fantasy battle music remixed into more metal-ish versions. Definitely worth listening to, some of the songs do surpass their originals IMO.

Suprisingly i just found the album.. gonna check it out :) thx for the info..