Author Topic: Nightmare's beginning song delayed!  (Read 7025 times)

vvalentine

• View Profile
Nightmare's beginning song delayed!
« on: 2001-11-29 06:16:00 »
Hey everyone, sorry but the song "Nightmare's beginning" aka Shin-ra mansion basement tune, will be delayed for I don't know how much time.  Right now school is being a b*tch, Linux class and English class are easy, but accounting class is something that was made in hell.  I have been stressing a lot lately because of that *&^#@$ class.  I can't drop it either, and if I fail it I get no more financial aid and if I don't get financial aid then there's no more school.  
Anyways,  I'm quitting my job because of this.  I need some time for myself on the weekends.  Although, I have had time to practice guitar a little bit.  I learned the whole song almost good enough to play.  The only thing I need to do now is buy a computer microphone so I can record the song.  When I do it, I will post it on this board, then if eerrrr could help me, he could add more stuff to it (Because the song doesn't sound to good with just one guitar).  Well then, now I have to do homework for accounting, $#!!+.  See ya all.

-vvalentine -_-

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2001-11-29 15:24:00 »
I'm ok with that. My band made a 4-track recording a while ago so I've been working on that a lot, and I haven't had much time to go on the PC recently anyway. Are you recording it from an electric guitar or an acoustic? Cos if you're gonna use an electric you could plug it straight into the PC, I think an acoustic would sound better though. :smile:

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 2001-11-29 18:05:00 »
Plug the electric guitar right into the computer. Then make sure the recording volume level is set to max. This will chop off the top of many sound waves because they become too loud and so create a distortion effect (a truly awful distortion effect, but distortion nevertheless...)

Using a digital amplifier-simulator should probably give you good enough results while plugging it straight into the computer though.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #3 on: 2001-11-29 20:14:00 »
If you are going to try and record it using a mic, DON'T buy a cheap $20-$50! For the kind of stuff you want to record, you need clarity and quality. I suggest getting a $80+ mic, and placing it about 3" from your guitar as you record it. Trust me, it'll be worth it! (I'm taking an Audio class right now, so I should know!)

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-11-30 19:19:00 »
I'm using an accoustic guitar, because the song is better.  I've been looking for a good microphone, and yeah I think I'm going to buy a microphone that gives me good quality.  I have today off, so I'm going to see if I buy it today.  

-vvalentine

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-12-01 17:38:00 »
My friend's got the Shure SM-58 or something, it's the same one all the proffesionals use and stuff when playing live. It's really good, something like £80 though.

Dag: I've got all the expensive programs, so I can do all the distortion on that. I don't think turning the recording volume to full sounds very good though cos it clips a lot off.

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 2001-12-01 18:00:00 »
Heh, it was supposed to be a joke...kinda...

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #7 on: 2001-12-01 21:58:00 »
You probably should have added a j/k then Dag...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2001-12-12 21:02:00 »
OK!

Good news, so far I have recorded a few parts of the song into my computer.  I used my brother's cheap computer microphone, but I used linux sound editing tools.  The sound is nice, although a little bit of noise and hiss.  I am using Broadcast 2001 and gnome Sound Recorder, but I am downloading Sound Forge and Cool Edit to finish the song.  Maybe I'll be done by the week of christmas, because I'm thinking of adding a little bit of piano to it (My sister has a keyboard, and I'm going to go visit my family for the holidays).  

Well then,  I'll post it as soon as I'm done.

-vvalentine :grin:

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2001-12-13 00:57:00 »
VValentine: Where are you from, how old are you and where are you now?

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-12-13 05:38:00 »
I'm 20 years old.
I'm from California.
I'm in my house, and sometimes in school.

-vvalentine :grin:

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: 2001-12-13 05:49:00 »
Oh. I thought you are 15 or something  :rolleyes:

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-12-13 05:51:00 »
That was me.

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-12-13 16:40:00 »
Cool vvalentine! I can't wait till you get it up. My guitar teacher's gonna give me a £20 lesson next Friday on using stuff like Sound Forge and Cubase, so hopefully by then I'll be a lot better. If you get stuck with something email from next saturday and ask me, I might be able to help you. :grin:

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2001-12-13 18:16:00 »
Very cool,

Right now I'm using Cool Edit 2000, and probably going to use Sound Forge.  I finished recording the song finally.  It took me hours because I wanted it to sound good, so I made lots of samples of every part of the song.  Maybe I'll post a sample.  Anyways, right now I'm trying to reduce the noise on the samples.  

Joey:  Why did you thought I was 15.  I have posted that I was in college.  If I was in college I should have at least 17 or 18, unless I was gifted or something.

Well then, Late.

-vvalentine

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2001-12-16 02:57:00 »
Well, this is just an update and my last post of this topic.  The next post about this topic will be where I will release the MP3.  I finished 2 versions of the song.  The first one had too much noise, and the second one had no noise but I didn't like it.
I'm currently redoing the whole song again, and I'm half way through.  This one seems to be more of my liking, but we'll see.
After I finish the 3rd version, then I'm going to add a little bit of piano so it doesn't sound so plain.  

eerrrr:  I'm using Cool Edit right now, and I think is really good.  So far I've got the hang of it already.  Anyways thanks.  If I need some help, I'll send it to you via streamload.

-vvalentine :D
[edited] 213 2001-12-16 04:01

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-12-16 16:54:00 »
Ok vvalentine, I cant wait to hear your song!

J*** H*******

« Reply #17 on: 2001-12-16 20:58:00 »
Message.

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2001-12-16 21:28:00 »
Yeah, I've used the noise reduction feature, and believe me, I was impressed that a program could do that.  I got the song to be almost without noise.

-vvalentine